Author Topic: Back to the City - - Factory Norge "meep meep" horn not going to cut it......  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
I just moved back to the Metro DC area and will be commuting about 40 miles towards Baltimore (Alexandria/MT Vernon to FT Meade). Plan to ride as much as possible.  No way the Factory Norge Horn is going to cut it. My last Horn upgrade was to auto horns and a relay on my FJR, and that was 12 years ago. Would prefer a Plug and Play system and not have to pull things apart. Is there a good simple 'bolt on' unit? I'm a proactive/defensive rider (as in offense is the best defense) and dont need to melt the car in front of me, but this horn is unsat...... Really Luigi???
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Here's a link that might help, from when I asked a similar question.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=92438.0

I'm sure you'll have many options available as your bike has good places to stash one.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:31:38 PM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
Here's a link that might help, from when I asked a similar question.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=92438.0

I'm sure you'll have many options available as your bike has good places to stash one.

Perfect, thanks!
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Yep, my T-3 horns are like a train air horn compared to the pathetic squeak of the Norge horn. First time I tried to  use my Norge horn I thought it was broke until I got home and tried it in the garage and could here a little bleep.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Here Canadian Tire sell a pair of Fiaam Freeway Blaster snail-shell horns for about $35 one Hi, one Lo complete with a relay
These are not Air horns, just the regular electromagnetic variety, made in Italy so they are Guzzi approved, they also have a factory in USA
These are really loud but ONLY if you give them a good supply and use the relay they come with.

I stuck a pair on my EV which has a factory supplied Horn Relay but it's not wired with heavy enough wire to drive them to full potential, they weren't very loud.
Battery to in-line fuse to Fiamm relay to Horn is the only way to go.
Use the original horn wires to power up the relay.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/fiamm-freeway-blaster/
I have put them on all my Guzzis, just put a pair on my Griso, they just fit under the tank where the originals were, I had to make special brackets though.
The California II came with Fiaams as stock, that's where I learnt how good they are.

BTW, be sure to mount so they are self draining, a few drops of water will silence them.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:25:02 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
Here Canadian Tire sell a pair of Fiaam Freeway Blaster snail-shell horns for about $35 one Hi, one Lo complete with a relay
These are not Air horns, just the regular electromagnetic variety, made in Italy so they are Guzzi approved, they also have a factory in USA
These are really loud but ONLY if you give them a good supply and use the relay they come with.

I stuck a pair on my EV which has a factory supplied Horn Relay but it's not wired with heavy enough wire to drive them to full potential, they weren't very loud.

I have put them on all my Guzzis, just put a pair on my Griso, they just fit under the tank where the originals were, I had to make special brackets though.
The California II came with Fiaams as stock, that's where I learnt how good they are.

BTW, be sure to mount so they are self draining, a few drops of water will silence them.
+1 on the Fiamms. Had a pair on my SP and presently on my Cal 1100. Can push a semi over one lane with a single blast!
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
I have used the German, red Hella horns on all my Guzzi's and they work quite well.  On my Victory Vision, I have a Steibel Nautilus "Ear Cannon" and that is a REAL blaster!! 

IMHO, there is nothing WORSE than a "weak horn" on any motorcycle!!  :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes: :laugh: :grin: :wink:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
I like these horn threads. I’m curious what you guys use your horns for. I have never used mine despite commuting 60 miles per day in Chicago traffic. We definitely don’t have friendly and courteous drivers. Wisconsonites call us FIDs - F’n Illinois Drivers.

Is the horn to alert drivers to your presence, or are you waking up texting drivers at green lights?

I try to drive defensively and remove myself from any situation that seems dangerous asap. I wouldn’t want to rely on a horn blast to get an inattentive driver to react positively. I do agree it’s dangerous out there- the number of drivers staring at a phone or otherwise distracted in traffic is frightening.

I fear a horn blast can be seen as an act of aggression, which is the last thing I want when on a motorcycle surrounded by 5000 pound cages. One twist of the steering wheel and you’re toast. Who knows what state of mind that driver is in. That text he is reading might be from his wife telling him she is leaving him for her yoga instructor.

twowings

I can understand your reluctance to incite aggression but when someone is moving over into me a short blast on the horn (with NO accompanying hand gestures) has prevented several unpleasant metal-to-flesh encounters...YMMV

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
After posting my horn inquiry a while back, I decided not to bother for now.  In a true emergency situation, the horn would be the last thing on my mind but it might be useful to give the mindless merger a heads up.  The only time I use my horn is by accidentally bumping the button when trying to use my blinkers. :tongue: I haven't figured out a good way to apologize to drivers for my random meeps.  :embarrassed:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
Whatever horn upgrade you go with, make sure you are powering it through a relay with a substantial power supply wire and the same for ground.  I'd recommend at least #12 wire.  Plug and play is a bad idea because the Guzzi wiring is usually undersized for the extra draw of a 'real' horn.  That wiring is fine for triggering a relay but, at the least, will strangle the new horn.  You will also be putting many more electrons through the switch.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline poorBob

• Gosling

GuzziSteve hung a pair of these on my Stelvio and at the correct range, they will knock the cell-phone right out of a texter's hands.   :1:

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
I like these horn threads. I�m curious what you guys use your horns for. I have never used mine despite commuting 60 miles per day in Chicago traffic. We definitely don�t have friendly and courteous drivers. Wisconsonites call us FIDs - F�n Illinois Drivers.

Is the horn to alert drivers to your presence, or are you waking up texting drivers at green lights?

I try to drive defensively and remove myself from any situation that seems dangerous asap. I wouldn�t want to rely on a horn blast to get an inattentive driver to react positively. I do agree it�s dangerous out there- the number of drivers staring at a phone or otherwise distracted in traffic is frightening.

I fear a horn blast can be seen as an act of aggression, which is the last thing I want when on a motorcycle surrounded by 5000 pound cages. One twist of the steering wheel and you�re toast. Who knows what state of mind that driver is in. That text he is reading might be from his wife telling him she is leaving him for her yoga instructor.

I grew up riding in and around Metro Areas, Mostly NYC until after college. I'm a proactive/aggressive rider, but a decent horn is a necessity when you have to deal with gridlock, traffic jams, cities, and high traffic/pedestrian areas. I'm not worried about normal riding, roads, merging, etc, only for the urban and traffic jam situations.

I dont care how people take it, I dont want to be hit by them, or hit them. You dont have to be obnoxious with a 5 second blast in most situations, but on occasion if you cant get out of someones way by being proactive, you may need to blast a bit to get attention. If a polite beep beep to let the person in front of me know the light is green, or 'hey dont pull or step out' triggers someone, they will have to deal with it. VERY few to NO people are going to try to run you over if you make them mad, or honk your horn. Polite use of a horn is usually returned with politeness, even in places with hideously rude drivers like Philadelphia, or Seattle. ;-)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:03:09 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
QUOTE:  Polite use of a horn is usually returned with politeness...

- - - that's been my experience as well, and especially if they are on the phone or texting and drifting into you lane!! :shocked: :laugh: :grin: :wink: :huh: :rolleyes:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here