Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Creamy oil in airbox
« Last post by faffi on Today at 02:23:58 PM »
     68 years ago I got my first car, a '56 VW. That winter I made a sump heater, a cardboard box that closely fit under the oil pan with ceramic bulb holder in it. The inside was lined with fiberglass board insulation. I used a 100 watt bulb. Since then I've used these on all my air cooled engines in cold weather.

Clever idea!

Faffi, you left out a most important ingredient in your elixirs, Tabasco.

:laugh:

ATF is a splendid cleaner, and have made many a stuck hydraulic valve lifter functionable again. Diesel is even better, but while it does have some lubricating properties, it is not exactly oil. Still, I know several who have added diesel to their engine oils and run the engine for a while to clean out the crankcases.

Regardless, I must reiterate that I do not advice others to follow my prescription.
General Discussion / Re: Front brake cable holder
« Last post by Air-Cooled on Today at 01:23:20 PM »
      The front brake cable/hose holder on V7 Sports was welded to the fender braces, not a separate item.

There is no weld mark on my fender bracket and the V7 parts list does not show this.  I've never seen the cable holder welded to any V7 Sport, but maybe I just haven't seen one yet.
General Discussion / Re: Creamy oil in airbox
« Last post by Error on Today at 12:53:32 PM »
This is why I miss forums. I hope Facebook burns down.

Thanks for all the insight. Im going to pull the pan and just do a few short oil
Change intervals. Warmer weather is on its way.

Sucks that the 10w60 is so damn expensive.
General Discussion / Re: Breva V1100 Fuel Pump
« Last post by rocker59 on Today at 10:58:49 AM »
Funny you mention that. I don't dig the Bobber, but if I could stretch the budget (which I can't) this little number in Chicago with a screen and cargo rack looks pretty good. Negotiations starting at $5500...
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/d/chicago-2017-moto-guzzi-v9-roamer/7733339297.html

I wasn't sure what to think about the V9 series until I rode a Bobber Sport at a demo day (the same time I first rode a V85).

I expected to like the V85 and hate the V9, but the opposite occurred. I fell in love with the V9. I still think about adding one to the fleet, despite the fact that I have TWO V7s.
Bump for Jay Cee
I didn't mention it because of the OPs price range, but the first generation V9 Roamer/Bobber fit that bill even better.

Funny you mention that. I don't dig the Bobber, but if I could stretch the budget (which I can't) this little number in Chicago with a screen and cargo rack looks pretty good. Negotiations starting at $5500...
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/d/chicago-2017-moto-guzzi-v9-roamer/7733339297.html
I describe the Nevada as a 2/3rds of a EV/Cali. 2/3 power, 2/3 size. Wonderful small block motor that sings at 6k, same as twin throttle body earlier V7…More of a 55-75mph interstate ride than a 65-85 EV. I have hard bags to act as leg protection. Replaced the handlebar with narrower and lower to bring a small forward bend. Stripped the ugly plastic chromed covers and sprayed a matt white. $4250 is a bit much, should be lower than similar V7 years

Don’t be fooled by the cruiser looking ergonomics…they used a tall rear tire that brings it back to a wonderfully neutral steering. Bought mine used in the middle of January for a steal…guzzi content! 21k miles and all good…

I didn't mention it because of the OPs price range, but the first generation V9 Roamer/Bobber fit that bill even better. The motor feels more like the same as the EV. And the steering/handling is fantastic and the seat height is an inch to inch and a half lower than the Heron head V7 models (and I think the seat is more narrow). But the late-model Hemi head V7s are about the same in seat height.
Once you really start looking carefully, it turns into an embarrassment of riches very quickly...

Essentially a low-milage naked Norge for $3200!
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/mcy/d/bellingham-2006-moto-guzzi-breva-1100/7739555422.html

If height/weight are an issue to you my Breva 1100 felt WAY bigger/heavier than any of our smallblocks. It's night and day, and I didn't get the smallblocks because I was in any way challenged by the weight/height of the CARC bike. But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it.

That said, the CARC bikes are night and day different with regards to effortless high speed highway work (if that matters to you).
Thanks for this! Nevada in second place due to ergos? Or is it geared/cammed differently?

I’m on a Nevada..the lower seat has a downside in that it also splays your knees apart, but my 66yr old hips aren’t what they used to be..tempted to move to a V7 with a flat seat for my 32” inseam.

I describe the Nevada as a 2/3rds of a EV/Cali. 2/3 power, 2/3 size. Wonderful small block motor that sings at 6k, same as twin throttle body earlier V7…More of a 55-75mph interstate ride than a 65-85 EV. I have hard bags to act as leg protection. Replaced the handlebar with narrower and lower to bring a small forward bend. Stripped the ugly plastic chromed covers and sprayed a matt white. $4250 is a bit much, should be lower than similar V7 years

Don’t be fooled by the cruiser looking ergonomics…they used a tall rear tire that brings it back to a wonderfully neutral steering. Bought mine used in the middle of January for a steal…guzzi content! 21k miles and all good…

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here