Author Topic: Garmin Zumo XT GPS, anyone have one?  (Read 854 times)

elvisboy77

Garmin Zumo XT GPS, anyone have one?
« on: July 17, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
Looking for anyone who owns one to get info on pros and cons.  Google Maps is just not working for me.

Thanks!

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Garmin Zumo XT GPS, anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 09:00:47 PM »
I have an early version Zumo 550. Works well but I also have an app that works well Co-Pilot, has a nominal subscription fee, bigger screen works better for my old eyes. If your device works well maybe try the app and save some money. Snaps suspenders!

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 07:37:07 AM »
I bought the XT and have been using it this year.  It is an amazing unit!  Paired with a Cardo Packtalk communicator it is fantastic.    I cannot come up with a con.  All pro here.

When deciding which GPS to buy I found out that Noraly (Itchy Boots) started using a XT this year.  She 100% relies upon it and it hasn't let her down.  I figured if it was good enough for her, it was good enough for me.   :laugh:
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

elvisboy77

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 08:18:16 AM »
I bought the XT and have been using it this year.  It is an amazing unit!  Paired with a Cardo Packtalk communicator it is fantastic.    I cannot come up with a con.  All pro here.

When deciding which GPS to buy I found out that Noraly (Itchy Boots) started using a XT this year.  She 100% relies upon it and it hasn't let her down.  I figured if it was good enough for her, it was good enough for me.   :laugh:

This is great info, thanks!  The thing sounds amazing to me.  Very motorcycle friendly.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 08:18:16 AM »

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »
I have an early version Zumo 550. Works well but I also have an app that works well Co-Pilot, has a nominal subscription fee, bigger screen works better for my old eyes. If your device works well maybe try the app and save some money. Snaps suspenders!

Brian

Brian, by "bigger screen", you are referring to the size of your cell phone screen? 

I, too, am looking for a new navigator.  Had a Garmin StreetPilot for years, but now use a Garmin Nuvi. 
It's not rainproof.  Neither is my iPhone.  Zumo's are. 

My older eyes, and brain, would prefer a screen larger than my 5.5" cell phone screen and the XT. 

Route planning is a big part of navigation for me.  In the "way-back days" I used Delorme Street Atlas to plot a trip.  Then laboriously entered waypoints into my Garmin.  Today I use Google Maps.  However I can't seem to get my modified routes to save when transferring them to my iPhone.  The modified route will save and reopen from e-mail to Google Maps.  Don't know what I'm doing wrong there. 

I am currently weighing pros and cons of a $500 Zumo XT.  I wouldn't be dithering if the screen was a bit larger, say 6.9".   :wink:

If only there were a $1000+ rainproof cell phone that was touch screen GLOVE FRIENDLY!  :thumb: LOL
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 10:49:27 AM »
The early Zumos were very expensive $1000.00 and have a small screen. They map and navigate well. I was never able to create and import routes, just put in towns along the route I wanted and let the Zumo do the rest. Yes the screen size is more important as I age. I've given up the communicator thing so that's not important to me. I have played music through the Zumo on an SD card. I have glanced at the new ones but at 70 I think my long distance riding is in the past now. I still use the one I have. I have a spare 8" tablet that I some times use to navigate but mostly in the car, screen doesn't work that well in sunlight, working on a shade for that and a mounting system that isn't crude and doesn't intrude on the bike's instruments.
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 12:08:14 PM »
This is great info, thanks!  The thing sounds amazing to me.  Very motorcycle friendly.

When I rode through a large city with heavy traffic for the first time using the XT it was a revelation!   The large clear screen along with the accurate turn by turn prompts really lowered the stress factor. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 07:48:04 PM »
I've got the 660 and XT. The biggest improvement the XT brings to the party is screen brightness. You can actually see/read it in sunshine whether you're looking thru a tinted helmet shield (..or just a pair of shades). On the 660, I used a shade velcro'd to the body (of the gps, folks) which kinda, sorta, didn't really work.

Fooling around with it on the last road trip with an uploaded route, you can display towns coming up, with distances and little icons indicating services available (unobtrusively). I found that  useful. Bluetoothing your phone let's you do all sorts of other stuff which I don't use (no, I don't want to take any calls...see/respond to texts) except for the ability to bring up weather radar on the XT is cool.

I'm a big fan of the XT. Now...if they could only embellish the gas station info for where the premium stuff is in flyover country....
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline danketchpel

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 06:48:07 PM »
I have a Zumo XT 5.5"

I'm a fairly recent Zumo owner, but long time Garmin user (60Cx & Montana 610, plus several Nuvis) and so far have limited use on the bike. I have done one dual sport ride with it but was primarily tracking, not routing. I've done 1 long day's street ride routing.

I did do a 10 day 8 state road trip by car and used it on that trip essentially to practice with it. I created each day's route on the laptop and downloaded it to the Zumo then followed it. I wanted to see how accurate it was and how many times it hiccup'd. I'd say overall it was a great success with only one day in the Black Hills following a very complex route (kept increasing route complexity to test it) where it got confused and failed to route properly. But that route had several backtracks, figure 8 sections etc., so it was complex. So what I learned was if it's really complex, it's better to break the route into sections.

The interface and touchscreen are a joy to use compared to the Montana 610, which was a huge upgrade over the 60Cx. It's finally responsive, the display looks modern, and has decent storage capacity. For once I'm not trying to parse out exactly how to get all the maps on it I want, just load 'em up. I have a 128GB MicroSD card in mine and I think the max is 256GB, which honestly is overkill. My 128 card is less than 1/3 full with all those Topo maps etc. loaded.

I have not jumped into the whole Bluetooth feature set yet, need to do that as I have a Cardo Packtalk unit.

I have successfully loaded the older 24k Topo maps on it but have found they don't look as good on it as on the earlier units, but they work. I have also loaded the OSM Topo maps on it but so far I don't see too much improvement over the stock maps which are essentially City Navigator with a Topo overlay that's based on the OSM maps. I haven't tried more custom maps like the California Trail Maps.

I have found out the unit runs on Android vs Garmin's proprietary OS like the older units, probably why it works like a modern unit.

The one thing I'm not so happy about is the mounting. The retention "lip" on the cradle is dang tiny and you have to be very certain you've got it locked in securely before riding off. As dirt builds up on the sliding locking piece it doesn't always want to snap in 100% like it should so be aware. I much prefer the Montana mounting cradle, it's vastly more robust, reliable, and secure.

I kluged up a car mount using some parts from a Nuvi bean bag style mount. I actually liked how it worked in the car well enough to decide to buy a spare Nuvi mount kit and build a car bean bag type mount for it so I could put the other mount back where it came from.

Overall I'd highly recommend it. I was fortunate to be able to get mine while Garmin was running a $100 off sale that eased the purchase pain a great deal. I had stayed away from previous Zumo units based on cost.

The only thing I've read about as a problem is some units seem to not work properly in the rain. I think Garmin knows about it and from what I read they warrantied those units. I have not tried mine in the rain because it seems like rain has been banned in California, at least SoCal.

I attached as shot of it mounted on my Urban GS for size reference. Also, it's the same width as my Montana 610 but 1/2" taller, yet offers up something like 40% more screen area.

Offline azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 01:48:35 PM »
I’ve owned just about every Garmin motorcycle gps they’ve made since the Zumo 550. And I have to say I’m really not all that impressed with Garmin’s latest and greatest motorcycle gps unit, the XT. I don’t know what idiots they have working at the company that forgot to include a compass on the main screen, like every other gps unit I’ve ever owned, so you can tell what direction you’re going when out riding in the woods. And yes I know you can choose to display a direction of travel on the lower right hand info window but I like to use that window to display altitude. Also the MP3 player doesn’t start off where you left the song, or in my case an audiobook, when you turn the gps off. Not a big deal if you’re listing to songs which are 3 minutes long but when you’re listening to an audiobook and the files are 90 minutes long and you turn the XT off in the middle of the 90 minute chapter, there is no way to fast forward to where you left off, unlike every other Garmin motorcycle gps unit I’ve owned. Yes the screen is great but had I know about the above problems I would have never bought the thing.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 01:56:14 PM by azccj »
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
2019 Suzuki Vstrom 650XT Touring
2017 Honda African Twin DCT
2014 BMW F800GT
1972 Eldorado. Which someday I will restore.

Moto Guzzis now gone but not forgotten
2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here