General Category > General Discussion

For Vintage Sportster Geeks

(1/10) > >>

Dave Swanson:
I have had a Harley 1964 XLCH torn down and packed away for almost 20 years.  It is time to get this together while I am still above ground and have most of my marbles in one place.   Many of the side jobs have been completed over the years, but the bike remains completely un-assembled, at least until the other day when I tackled building the wheels. 

Since I know there are those that have a soft spot for old HD on this forum I will occasionally post an update on my progress.  This will NOT be a build thread. 

It doesn't look like much but this is a huge milestone in this restoration!  The bike was ordered with the optional equipment Champion alloy rims, which are quite rare today.  The wheels will be shod with correct Goodyear Grasshopper replicas called Dirtman and made by Allstate.  The spokes and nipples are original HD and have been cad plated back when it only cost an arm, not an arm and a leg like today.

cliffrod:
Very cool, Dave. 

I don't think I have ever had any Champion rims and a quick look online didn't reveal much info..     Looks like the profile is very similar to the more common Borrani & Akront lighter weight rims vs the typical heavy profile Borrani rims commonly found on older HD.   Any markings?   Who manufactured them?

Dave Swanson:

--- Quote from: cliffrod on May 15, 2022, 12:24:53 PM ---Very cool, Dave. 
 Who manufactured them?

--- End quote ---

Champion   :grin:   

They are pretty much in the uber rare category today.  Not many bikes were spec'd out with them and those bikes that  were ordered with them got the hell beat out of them. 

front 43008-60, rear 43010-64

cliffrod:
I wondered whether they were a Champion product or a branded item sold by Champion.   

Do they say Champion on them anywhere, just the HD part number, ?  Are those the only profile style of Champion rims.   Pretty sure I have had (and probably still do) have some common heavy profile HD rims that only have a part number stamped on them without the "BORRANI" stamp like others do.  We always assumed they were Borrani rims that for some reason didn't have the Borrani stamp because they appeared to be identical when side by side.

Dave Swanson:

--- Quote from: cliffrod on May 15, 2022, 12:44:28 PM ---I wondered whether they were a Champion product or a branded item sold by Champion.   

Do they say Champion on them anywhere, just the HD part number, ?  Are those the only profile style of Champion rims.   Pretty sure I have had (and probably still do) have some common heavy profile HD rims that only have a part number stamped on them without the "BORRANI" stamp like others do.  We always assumed they were Borrani rims that for some reason didn't have the Borrani stamp because they appeared to be identical when side by side.

--- End quote ---

There are no manufacturer ID stamped on the rims.  Just the HD part number stamps.   The certainly have the look of Borrani. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version