General Category > General Discussion

Troubles while traveling

<< < (6/7) > >>

Chuck in Indiana:
I had a coil eating SP back in the day. Put putted out of the Badlands and to a rest area on the interstate on one cylinder. No fixie. Used a pay phone.. remember them?  :grin: to get a tow to a BMW dealer. The airhead coils are the same.. They didn't work on Guzzis, or old airheads, and didn't have any coils.  :rolleyes:
I'll stop now, but the story went on for a while. What I *did* find is I had to run a dedicated wire from the points to the coil..although that doesn't sound like your problem.
Glad you made it back, Brian. You will no doubt remember this trip, and after all memories are what it is about.  :smiley:

bmc5733946:
I am keeping a positive attitude about this because to do otherwise would be counterproductive for me. I am by nature an optimistic realist, nothing to be done? put your best face on and go about your business till all is right! I've owned this bike for 30 yrs, first time I've been let down. If, mind you, if, this could have been foreseen then maybe there would be some blame to spread around. No one else has ever put a wrench on this bike, I was serviceing it for the owner before I bought it. It is still a low mileage Moto Guzzi, just over 36,000 miles. It has a long life ahead with me or without me. I probably should have checked it better before I left but I still would not have found anything, in all likelihood. It did stutter a few times well before my recognizing there truly was an issue, seemed fuel related so I spent my time and effort on those issues before the final stoppage. Then the heat of the day and my failure to properly hydrate myself left me a fumble fingered, not very smart, technician.  I am also grateful that my friend was available to rescue me and allow me to continue/commence another adventure!

Brian

redrider90:

--- Quote from: nc43bsa on May 19, 2022, 11:04:06 PM ---My Mille had a failing coil that would run normally until the coil got hot (about 20 miles.)  Then it would drop the cylinder at idle, picking back up above 1500 rpm.  As the situation got worse, the rpm when it would pick up the cylinder went up to 2000, sometimes higher.  Even then, it ran fine at cruising speed.  I got stuck in stop-and-go traffic once and had to pull off the road to let it cool off because it was running on one cylinder so much.  Naturally, when I was attempting to diagnose the problem, it cooled off to the point where it didn't misfire. 

While it was hot, I determined which side it was by pulling one of the wires off the spark plug, then swapping coils side-to-side to verify the problem also switched sides.  Fortunately, I had an OEM coil in a box of parts I picked up at the Daytona Vintage Swap Meet many years ago.

--- End quote ---

Gotta bump this one on the bad coils. My stock 90 Mille coils with the MotoPlat ignition were not good performers.

chuck peterson:

--- Quote from: bmc5733946 on May 23, 2022, 06:28:45 PM ---I am keeping a positive attitude about this because to do otherwise would be counterproductive for me. I am by nature an optimistic realist, nothing to be done? put your best face on and go about your business till all is right! I've owned this bike for 30 yrs, first time I've been let down. If, mind you, if, this could have been foreseen then maybe there would be some blame to spread around. No one else has ever put a wrench on this bike, I was serviceing it for the owner before I bought it. It is still a low mileage Moto Guzzi, just over 36,000 miles. It has a long life ahead with me or without me. I probably should have checked it better before I left but I still would not have found anything, in all likelihood. It did stutter a few times well before my recognizing there truly was an issue, seemed fuel related so I spent my time and effort on those issues before the final stoppage. Then the heat of the day and my failure to properly hydrate myself left me a fumble fingered, not very smart, technician.  I am also grateful that my friend was available to rescue me and allow me to continue/commence another adventure!

Brian

--- End quote ---

Been there done that…glad your home safe

bmc5733946:
Coming back to this to report further. Guzzi Steve may have won the day!! Needle in right carb has come apart, the little pin is no longer attached to the valve. I think that may have been the problem all along. Once we were home I went ahead and replaced the coils, wires, caps and plugs just on general principle,  ran great on my small test tank in shop. Rolled it around front to the garage and put on the tank, test fired and now running on one again. It took me a long while to decide I wanted to get it running again so it sat and sat and sat, checked today no fuel in bowl, pulled carb and found the reason. Little pin that drives inlet needle valve was no longer attached to needle valve. I think running down the road vibration was allowing some fuel past at times or the pin jammed in the valve everyone in a while. Anywho that's my story and I'm sticking to it until I learn otherwise.
As always I truly appreciate all the interest and assistance! Thanks folks!

Brian

As a side note, does anyone make a solid float needle valve for this issue??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version