General Category > General Discussion

Thumb brake?

<< < (2/5) > >>

sib:

--- Quote from: Zenermaniac on July 04, 2022, 08:02:51 AM ---What are it’s advantages?

--- End quote ---
In my case, it has nothing to do with racing.  A couple of years ago, I had a bad crash, which left my legs and feet not as trustworthy as before.  That, plus balance issues from advancing age, have made me less graceful on the bike.  I particularly have trouble coming to a stop properly, since if I use the rear brake, I can't simultaneously use my feet to hold the bike upright once stopped.  So, I cheat and use the front brake to stop with.  That, of course, leads to other problems, and I have dropped the bike a few times while coming to a stop.

I hope that a thumb brake would allow me to come to a stop with the rear brake while keeping the bike upright with both feet.

It ain't easy gettin' old!

RinkRat II:

From what I've read on them it sounds like a good fit for your application. Their purpose in racing is to allow some rear braking while cornering and hanging off the bike.  Good Luck.

Paul B :boozing:

lucky phil:

--- Quote from: sib on July 04, 2022, 11:10:08 AM ---In my case, it has nothing to do with racing.  A couple of years ago, I had a bad crash, which left my legs and feet not as trustworthy as before.  That, plus balance issues from advancing age, have made me less graceful on the bike.  I particularly have trouble coming to a stop properly, since if I use the rear brake, I can't simultaneously use my feet to hold the bike upright once stopped.  So, I cheat and use the front brake to stop with.  That, of course, leads to other problems, and I have dropped the bike a few times while coming to a stop.

I hope that a thumb brake would allow me to come to a stop with the rear brake while keeping the bike upright with both feet.

It ain't easy gettin' old!

--- End quote ---

In 50 years of riding road bikes from touring to GT to Hyper sports bikes the only things I've ever used a back brake for were holding the bike on a hill while waiting for the lights to change( very rarely) and for adjusting my exit line on the race track. If you think using the front brake to stop is "cheating" then I suggest you review your braking techniques. The rear brake on any of my 5 bikes could be disconnected and I'd probably never know for months.
In other words if you lean proper braking techniques you rarely ever need the rear.

Phil   

Tom:
 :thumb:  I practice with only front brake stopping frequently.

Moparnut72:
Several utube coaches say to not use the front brake when coming to a stop. I say bull shot. Could be trouble with a big heavy bike in a sharp slow turn but not necessarily. I use the front brake all the time, I also use the rear for slow speed stability.
kk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version