Author Topic: Your most embarrassing motorcycle moment .  (Read 10771 times)

Offline Fireflyr

• New Egg
Re: Your most embarrassing motorcycle moment .
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2018, 08:50:47 PM »
Was working on my son's TTR50 one day at work.  After I got it running I decided to do a victory lap around the helibase.  The back door to the office was open so I thought I'd shoot thru that, do a lap around the conference table that the fire crew was sitting around, back down the hall and out the door.  I made it thru the first door but the one into the conference room was narrower so I hit the jamb with both knees as the mini-moto continued on and smashed into the table.  I just kind of fell backwards.  f***, that hurt.

Nothing like the pilot instilling confidence in the crew with his amazing skills.
1984 Lemans III
1977 T3
1974 Eldorado Police

MGNOC Member #23029

oldbike54

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
 ^^^ Yep , that is embarrassing  :laugh:

Dusty

twowings

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2018, 09:29:23 PM »
That's a $10,000 video, right there!  :laugh:

Offline erich

• New Egg
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2018, 03:59:58 AM »
I was on my Vespa in the Styrian mountains on a nice summer day, amidst quite dense tourist traffic (think there was no Autobahn then) with some stop and go. After one stop I released the clutch too quickly, the Vespa reared up, turned sharply to the right and dropped the front wheel nicely on the 50 degrees mountain slope that ran down to the street there. I stood in the fern, perfectly upright and somehow still in the saddle, front brake drawn and the Vespa in the direction of the mountain peak, while cars from the whole of Europe passed by less than a meter behind my rear number plate.  So the way straight back was barred etc., took me at least half an hour to extricate the Vespa from this place without falling between the cars. Glad her weight was only about 110kg.   
1979 V1000 G5

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2018, 03:59:58 AM »

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »
Moment? I don't know where to start. :shocked: :rolleyes:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 03:18:35 PM »
Had my new 1966 Triumph T100C on the drag strip for the first run against the clocks. I wanted to do the best ET possible. About a thousand people in the grand stands. I revered her up, popped the clutch and pulled a near vertical wheelie, rolled the throttle back, she came down and bounced so hard that my hand rotated back to full throttle, up she came again. After one or two more bounces I aborted only to hear the crowd cheering at my terrible but entertaining  launch and recovery.
Bill

oldbike54

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
Moment? I don't know where to start. :shocked: :rolleyes:

Well start somewhere dangit  :laugh:

Staying with some chronological order ...

Fifteen years old , riding an old rigid frame Triumph illegally , friend's slightly older sister is really cute . Yeah , one of those "take me for a ride stories  :laugh:

After starting the old beast doing my best Marlon Brando impersonation I casually tell her to climb on . Did I mention she was very cute ? So being an extremely cool young buck away we go , of course the sidestand is still down ( :embarrassed:) so at the first gentle left hand curve it bounces off the pavement , sending us across a driveway , a nicely maintained lawn , and into an azalea bush . Friend's sister being a bit of a smart aleck says ; "you meant to do that , right?"  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 06:08:08 AM »
Huge Harley crowd at a Hooters weds night...

Chopper pulls in, popular guy everyone is pointing out his rear tire is mostly not round anymore...being a friendly guzzi guy I offer to use my travel air compressor to "pump you up..." I hadn't tried it yet...and ready to try it out

By now it's a crowd of fourty as this chopper was way out on the chrome spectrum, and I've hooked the little compressor up and attached the hose... Big moment as a crowd of Harley guys look on in amazement at a pump and tire gauge

Flip the switch, two secs of compressor, then SILENCE....you could of heard a pin drop. Fuse blew on the connection to the battery, needs a bigger fuse...

40 Harley guys look at the lone guzzi guy....
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
my most embarrassing ride was also my shortest.  If you are going to leave a National Park before dawn you might want to forgo the use of a disc lock.  Should you forget,  you'll get a rather abrupt reminder early into your departure. Of course this sort of thing doesn't happen on 350# dirt bike, oh no, this only happens on heavy weight touring bikes with a couple of weeks worth of gear lashed on.  The reality of that last bit will impress itself upon you when said bike falls on you after having been so rudely (and incompetently) awakened from its slumber.  On the plus side it was dark, and early so hopefully witnesses were few....
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

oldbike54

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »
 ^^^
 The raccoons and deer are still laughing about that incident rider  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »
It ws 1960 and had the local Harley dealer put a sidecar on  my '56 74. He is telling me that it is a lot different riding with a sidecar, but I was smart as I graduated 8th grade from a  one room country school. Left his place that was out in the country, went down his driveway and into the ditch. I walked back and said "I believe I need more instruction" and I listened.

And of course more than once after drinking 3.2 beer in Oklahoma, get off the bike and not put down the side stand. You make it about 3 feet and BAM.

There are loads moree stories, but not for an injured typist.
Tex

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 07:52:46 PM »
the thing that always puzzles me: my Ural has a center stand, my V7 does not (will, as soon as it gets warm enough for me to put it on).  WTF?
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

oldbike54

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2018, 08:07:32 PM »
the thing that always puzzles me: my Ural has a center stand, my V7 does not (will, as soon as it gets warm enough for me to put it on).  WTF?

Well duh , how much good is a side stand on a motorbike that won't lean over ? :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2018, 08:12:12 PM »
'yup, but getting that Ural on the center stand is a bitch :)

Offline 93spada

• Hatchling
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2022, 07:22:24 PM »
Just saw this post for first time.
I can add a few to the "laugh-in" Duuuuh!!!but.....  Mid 80's

What an ass I was (still am!)
PJM

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2022, 09:53:54 PM »
My most recent about a month ago,
I stopped at a service station to fuel up, saw a car driver waiting for me to move off so I thought I would do the decent thing and roll the V9 away from the pump.
I pushed the bike forward over one of those rubber speed bumps, it came down the prop stand caught on the speed bump and toppled over to the right bending the gear pedal and front brake lever, there was no way I could save it.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2022, 10:21:41 PM »
Two come to mind - both on my ‘81 CB750F back in ‘81. I was 19.  One I was trying to impress two girls when we were leaving freshman psych.  I hopped on the bike to cruise past them and forgot about the bike lock through the front wheel. The second was buying a new front turn signal lens at the local Honda shop, installing it in the parking lot, dropping the bike and having to go back in and buy another.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2022, 01:48:48 AM »
In 2006 I had one of these

My mate had one of these

We decided on a one off basis to swap bikes for a jaunt accompanied by the usual briefings that are always exchanged.
He said ..
“Just jump on mate, there’s nothing I can teach you…”
I said…
“Make sure you give it plenty of revs because it doesn’t pull down low like the Duke, but once the revs hit 8,000 it just rips.
Also, blah blah blah…etc.
He tentatively climbed aboard the MV in front of the adoring throng and (relatively) skilfully, fed the revs in and off down the road.
“That’s not bad for a first time…”
I said as if my opinion was worth having.
I then casually strolled over to the 916 with a self assured swagger, swung the leg over Bayliss/Fogarty like and with
a skill that can only be gained from 40 years experience, snicked the Ducati into gear and fed the clutch out.
The rattling dry clutch stopped rattling and the engine quit stone motherless dead as I promptly stalled it and barely got my foot back down before the beautiful 916 was caught by the assembled gallery.
“Have you ridden one of these before, they’re not easy…”
A well meaning bystander asked.
I cannot remember what I said, but made sure the ride ended somewhere other than where they would be gathered.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 01:50:55 AM by Huzo »

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2022, 04:55:10 AM »
In 2006 I had one of these

My mate had one of these

We decided on a one off basis to swap bikes for a jaunt accompanied by the usual briefings that are always exchanged.
He said ..
“Just jump on mate, there’s nothing I can teach you…”
I said…
“Make sure you give it plenty of revs because it doesn’t pull down low like the Duke, but once the revs hit 8,000 it just rips.
Also, blah blah blah…etc.
He tentatively climbed aboard the MV in front of the adoring throng and (relatively) skilfully, fed the revs in and off down the road.
“That’s not bad for a first time…”
I said as if my opinion was worth having.
I then casually strolled over to the 916 with a self assured swagger, swung the leg over Bayliss/Fogarty like and with
a skill that can only be gained from 40 years experience, snicked the Ducati into gear and fed the clutch out.
The rattling dry clutch stopped rattling and the engine quit stone motherless dead as I promptly stalled it and barely got my foot back down before the beautiful 916 was caught by the assembled gallery.
“Have you ridden one of these before, they’re not easy…”
A well meaning bystander asked.
I cannot remember what I said, but made sure the ride ended somewhere other than where they would be gathered.

I was worried that was going to end up with one of those bikes on its side Huzo.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2022, 05:28:41 AM »
I was worried that was going to end up with one of those bikes on its side Huzo.
Well mate, it almost did..!  :embarrassed:

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2022, 10:47:57 AM »
Ya know those things from decades ago, that you'd forgot? Thanks fellas.

Circa 1982 I thought I needed more traction on the front of my flat track bike, and thought installing a rear 4.00 x 19 would do the job. After my buddy's brother stopped by the garage and smoked all the mosquitoes out (and us) we went inside, happy to load up in the morning and get to the race track.
So, our race ride and elder statesman, an AA mentor, shows up to load and I see that my supreme answer to all front end traction was flat as new and stuck between the fork legs. I suggested that it would narrow up with air, but it got tighter... he well knew what state we'd been in while making those decisions. Embarrassing and shameful even for a 20 year old.

Then there was the time my '97 Sport-i pinned me to the curb in front of a hotel, and a very nice young woman who looked to be about high school freshman age offered help and picked the bike up for me, of course while the airport courtesy shuttle was unloading. I subsequently cut the 'auto-retract' nub off the pivot bolt.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2022, 09:14:52 PM »
Having my orthopedic surgeon walk up to me after my post surgical consult as I was getting my gear on....... He was very unhappy with me and said "I hope you didn't just take a Vicodin" .....  lol.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2022, 07:43:45 AM »
Many years ago whilst at High School in Florence, Italy some of us would meet up after school at a local bar. The bar was at a busy roundabout junction near one of the old city gates and so people were coming and going all the time, in the summer we would mostly be sitting outside enjoying the weather and, of course some of us would show off, trying to impress the Girls on our bikes.

A friend was really good at wheelies, he could wheelie a Vespa around the roundabout sometimes several laps at a time, even in traffic and so, feeling left out I decided to show everyone my wheelie skills.

I had a Ducati 250 Scrambler at the time and proceeded to clutch the front up right in front of my 'admirers' but overcooked it and basically went vertical, I slid off the seat and ended up running behind the bike whilst still holding onto the bars in the hope of somehow controlling it but, of course I couldn't and I ended up dropping the bike on it's side and me face down in the road.

I certainly didn't impress anyone but I did provide the entertainment that day...   :embarrassed:
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Online Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2022, 06:16:43 PM »
Many years ago whilst at High School in Florence, Italy some of us would meet up after school at a local bar. The bar was at a busy roundabout junction near one of the old city gates and so people were coming and going all the time, in the summer we would mostly be sitting outside enjoying the weather and, of course some of us would show off, trying to impress the Girls on our bikes.

A friend was really good at wheelies, he could wheelie a Vespa around the roundabout sometimes several laps at a time, even in traffic and so, feeling left out I decided to show everyone my wheelie skills.

I had a Ducati 250 Scrambler at the time and proceeded to clutch the front up right in front of my 'admirers' but overcooked it and basically went vertical, I slid off the seat and ended up running behind the bike whilst still holding onto the bars in the hope of somehow controlling it but, of course I couldn't and I ended up dropping the bike on it's side and me face down in the road.

I certainly didn't impress anyone but I did provide the entertainment that day...   :embarrassed:

You have described why I have never aspired to or tried to wheelie............ lol
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2022, 07:53:18 PM »
Which one and yes alcohol was involved.

^^^^what he said.. 

At least I didn't scrape the end off my pecker like my deliberately sober best friend did in May of 88 when he stuffed his bike into a guardrail about 150 yards from my house as he left the first party of the season.  That was a truly epic way to start our summer of invincible youthful debauchery...
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2022, 08:24:55 PM »
my most embarring moment came in San Antonio.  I was taking a UTSA night class working on my Master's.  The class and instructor retreated to a bar for the last night.  :boozing:   I was on my 550 Seca-  if you've seen the Laugh-In tricycle you might have a clue.    :embarrassed:  :shocked:

Anyway, it was private.  N0 one ever saw it.   :thumb:

I might say I went to work the next day and had to come home not feeling well.   :sad:

So, fill i the blanks.      :lipsrsealed:

I won't to share my personal predicament beyond innuendo and your assumptions.  :laugh:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2022, 03:04:51 AM »
A friend asked me to go visit him at a social cricket match between the company he worked for and another. It was a nice sunny day so I took my 850 Le Mans, pulled up on the edge of the bitumen and had my right foot on the bitumen talking to my friend. A car passed me real close at speed and blew me off balance. I pushed down with my left foot on the marble gravel to try to counter, foot went west and the bike went over with me on top of it. Of course everyone turned around after the thud to see me akimbo on top of my bike. Broke 2 fins off of the left head.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here