Author Topic: Another topic for debate...Tonti Pod filters & tuning  (Read 3124 times)

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
Another topic for debate...Tonti Pod filters & tuning
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:20:37 PM »
I committed last winter to scrapping my "Tonti's revenge" airbox on my Cal 2, but now that I need to order pod filters, I'm reading a LOT of negativity about their actual performance, and the probable need to re-jet. Also a lot of positives or neutrals.

Was looking at the K&N RU-2450 pods, which are kinda pricey (Guzzi content for sure). I'd like to hear from Tonti owners who use these, and what, if any, jetting changes they did, or what (if any) tuning/running problems they ran into.

I was hoping I could slap them on and be on my way, don't really want to futz around with re-jetting. But there's no way I'm going back to that stock airbox.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

canuck750

Re: Another topic for debate...Tonti Pod filters & tuning
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:14 PM »
I have this on my 73 V7 Sport, only because the Sport did not come with any air filters, works fine, did not rejet.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164&products_id=3250

If my bike had a factory air box / air filter I would definitely keep it stock. I have never seen an endorsement for scrapping the air box for pod filters.

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 04:22:57 PM »
If my bike had a factory air box / air filter I would definitely keep it stock. I have never seen an endorsement for scrapping the air box for pod filters.

I've read a lot of your posts and I know you're a man that's seen a thing or two. But have you wrassled with the airbox on a '85 Cal 2? With ATF lines thrown in to make things even tighter? There's a reason I went 25k miles before I serviced it (with no engine damage, I might add...).
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 04:36:05 PM »
I've used them on an Eldo, 850t, T3 and a Convert w/o issue. If running Dellorto square slides I suggest running velocity stacks. If you do you have to either sand or machine down the OD of the velocity stack so the filter will slide over a lot easier. 

Also running the setup canuck750 posted the 1 into 2 on the SP and like it as well. PIA to get on but seems to create no other drama.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:37:37 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 04:36:05 PM »

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 05:33:16 PM »
I'll give an endorsement for scrapping the air box.
I have used a UNI sock filter on all my Tonti's both carb an FI. I use a 8" green sock filter and cut out the end so both are open and then slip the internal spring of the filter over the velocity stacks.
Here are pictures that I took on my Calvin. The carb models are the same principle except the velocity stacks are aluminum instead of plastic.

All the servicing is much easier and I have not needed to re-jet maybe because the intake tract is the same length, but it is a posibility. I also like the intake sound.

Offline randy yocum

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 05:57:56 PM »
I hate to be critical ,but what happens if you get caught out in the rain,I mean there is no protection.It seems like that sock would soak up water like a sponge.I'm a believer in wrap around air boxes on my daily driver. My two cents :popcorn:
2012 Stelvio NTX
2007 Norge
1998 EV
1981 V-1000 G-5
1997 Ducati 900ss
1983 XL 600R bought new
1978 XS 1100

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 06:40:17 PM »
I hate to be critical ,but what happens if you get caught out in the rain,I mean there is no protection.It seems like that sock would soak up water like a sponge.I'm a believer in wrap around air boxes on my daily driver. My two cents :popcorn:
You have a valid point. Usually the side covers protect well enough but not always. All pods will have the same issue.
I normally don't ride in the rain too often but I have been caught numerous times through the years using either pods or the sock and I did not have any running issues.
I am also careful when I wash the bikes to not get water in that area or I may cover it with plastic wrap or a bag.
The sponge is full of special oil for the foam so it may be less sponge like than one would think. But I have not tested its water absorbing ability.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 06:48:10 PM »
Another thing to consider is the dreaded pop back through the intake, setting the foam or gause filters ablaze.  Rare but does happen.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 08:05:29 PM »
I've used them on an Eldo, 850t, T3 and a Convert w/o issue.

Thanks, I've heard this quite a bit, but in your experience, did you need to re-jet, or did the bike run differently or have any starting or lean/rich-running issues?
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
I've used K&N pods on both Tontis. They flow well and do require bigger jets -- just one or two sizes up. Here at 6000 feet elevation I run stock sea-level jetting with the pods and the bikes run clean. It's not a big deal -- an afternoon of experimentation will settle the matter.  You might get away with just lifting the needles.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:49:44 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 09:04:04 PM »
The RU-2450s slip right on the stock VHB "air inlet tubes", no modification necessary. They mount directly to the PHFs IIRC. I have them on my Convert - no rejetting was necessary - I only raised the needle. Mileage in the low 40s, plugs burn a nice light tan.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:15:04 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 09:13:29 PM »

K&N’s since 1989 and it was re-jetted then. Runs fine in mo and Colorado elevations. No debate just ‘sperience  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:15:10 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 12:16:55 AM »
I ride year round (mostly the LM4 with K&N pods), and as everyone knows, it's wet a lot here in Portland Oregon. I've never had a problem with water in the carbs due to washing or riding in the wet. I've never taken any special precautions while cleaning the bike.

One thing to consider is that a little water getting into the engine can be a good thing as long as it's not enough to hydro-lock the piston. I've dribbled water into the carb while running to clean the combustion chamber. I know a guy who handled pinging by injecting water into the carbs at key times. It takes quite a gulp to stall the engine, so a little entering through the filter isn't something to worry over.

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 06:01:44 AM »
I think the oiling keeps most water away, and as was said.. a little is no problem..  I do normaly like if not a airbox... at least a little more duct work to even out the intake pulses. they seem to run a little better, and smoother.   No experience on a Guzzi though...  just on my old RD400..
Paul B

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 07:08:25 AM »
If you can find a set of old set of dry rotted K&N's for cheap on Ebay or CL buy them up. K&N offers a million mile guarantee. All you have to do is call them up tell them that filter are no longer functional then send them a picture of the filters and they will replace them. My 850T and T3 both came with old crusty K&N's and the rubber parts were dried, cracked and not very pliable. Both times K&N sent me out new filters and even cover shipping. 

Pretty sure if you found a picture on the internet of old filters and sent that in that'd be enough to get you new filters. Let your conscience be your guide.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 07:48:15 AM »
If you can find a set of old set of dry rotted K&N's for cheap on Ebay or CL buy them up. K&N offers a million mile guarantee. All you have to do is call them up tell them that filter are no longer functional then send them a picture of the filters and they will replace them. My 850T and T3 both came with old crusty K&N's and the rubber parts were dried, cracked and not very pliable. Both times K&N sent me out new filters and even cover shipping. 

Pretty sure if you found a picture on the internet of old filters and sent that in that'd be enough to get you new filters. Let your conscience be your guide.

Not exactly according to K&N, it only applies to OE type filters... Universal filters may have a one year coverage...Of course they may make exceptions..

https://www.knfilters.com/warranty.htm

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 07:55:01 AM »
You might check MikesXS.com  There was some very similar filters for much more reasonable $. 
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »
Not exactly according to K&N, it only applies to OE type filters... Universal filters may have a one year coverage...Of course they may make exceptions..

https://www.knfilters.com/warranty.htm

I called them, gave them the model, explained the rubber had hardened and they said please send a picture and within a couple days both times I had new filters sitting on the front porch.

I have 2 old filter that came of my recent SP project sitting on the shelf. When I get home I'll call K&N and see if these still fall under warranty.
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »
 You mentioned buying old filters and then asking for a replacement.... You decide on the ethics........ :thewife:
      From the K&N website

How Long Does the Coverage Last?

This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the Product. Coverage applies only to the original purchaser of the Product and is non- transferable. The warranty period will not be extended if we repair or replace the Product.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 08:54:02 AM »
You mentioned buying old filters and then asking for a replacement.... You decide on the ethics........ :thewife:
      From the K&N website

Kind of like when I posted "Let your conscience be your guide."
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:43 AM »
Kind of like when I posted "Let your conscience be your guide."

Yes..... :thumb:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 11:35:42 AM »
I failed to mention the fact I'm running THE SAME K&N's since 1989. Don't remember what I paid but lets say $200.00 <shrug> $200.00 / 30 yrs = $6.66 PER YR. Good deal for even the most tight-ass Guzzi rider! I'd rather practice the old do unto others myself. (crazy I know)
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2019, 01:06:37 PM »
While I'd never use a picture I found to get something for nothing I have no problem if I buy a motor vehicle where the K&N's were included in the sale and no longer usable asking if they cover them under warranty.  They manufacutured, marketed and sold the parts w/ warranty. I only ask if applies. 

To all the righteous and moral folks would you have a problem being willed/given Craftsman/Snapon/Mac tools or buying them at a yard sale for cheap and turing them in for replacments if they broke? Afterall you didn't buy them.

2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 01:18:14 PM »
 Hey Ted,Here in Arizona its very dusty, and I have found that K&N filters allow too much fine particulate dust to pass through. I have used UNI foam filters on all my Guzzis with excellent results. I have a pair with the extra red foam sleeve on the outside on my Cal II, and have been through some incredible "frog choker" rain during monsoon season, and the Cal II has not even hiccuped  a bit. I have found that the oil coating on the outer sleeve sheds water very effectively. 
  When I first got the bike, I was looking for a stock air box, but after reading the horror stories about how difficult it is to to service, I said screw it, and went with the UNI pods.
   I have never had to touch the jetting on my Cal II, I dont even know what size jets it has in there. It has always run very well since I got it. changing pipes, and filters has made little or no difference.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
Have used Uni-Filters for many years. No issues, maybe raised a needle or two. WAY #@$@#$@#$ Easier than those tonti airboxes. Geezuz.
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 02:32:19 PM »
Have used Uni-Filters for many years. No issues, maybe raised a needle or two. WAY #@$@#$@#$ Easier than those tonti airboxes. Geezuz.

:thumb:
Charlie

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 02:47:58 PM »
Can't speak for pods on Guzzis, but I've never had luck with them on Hondas... twins or fours. Run great at WOT, kinda crappy everywhere else. Found them super hard to tune.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here