Author Topic: Exhaust leak  (Read 338 times)

Offline Swedemoto

• Hatchling
Exhaust leak
« on: May 27, 2023, 06:51:52 PM »
CX100 with Bub exhaust. The Bub's were originally on an SP with no issue. I swapped the pipes and haven't been able to cure the leak as yet. There is a noticeable residue on the fins where it is leaking. I've replaced the gaskets a couple times and last attempt I put in a bead of hi-temp caulk without success. As you can see, it appears I may be running out of threads on the studs. I have a new set of exhaust studs I'm going to install tomorrow. I'd love to be able to straighten out the flange, but I'm with limited tools where I am. Any other suggestions?
This leads me to my second question, another members LM1 for sale with Bubs has finned collars. I've searched but have not found a split exhaust collar that is finned. Any leads to such a thing? https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=118299.0
The Bubs have an integral spacer welded to the end which would need to be removed somehow?

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Exhaust leak
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 07:10:58 PM »
So are you saying you need a pair of those finned collars? I might have some.. are you in the US?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Swedemoto

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 09:27:43 PM »
Yes, I'm looking for a set of black finned collars. I believe they would need to be split or two piece. If you look at my photo, you can see the spacer in front of the mounting flange. The spacer is welded to the end of the pipes and there is no way to slip it on the collars from the bottom and wrap it around. There is a crossover outlet that would prevent that. See the picture in the link. I'm in Ballston Spa, NY 12020

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 08:50:34 AM »
The Bub set on my kid's LMIV have to be set into the heads very carefully. The flanges are a good tight fit, and if you get them in crooked they'll bind up and not seal against the gaskets. I'd have a look at your heads to see if there are burrs that need to be cleaned up, maybe file the corners off the exhaust pipes and be certain they're going all the way in.
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 08:50:34 AM »

Offline Swedemoto

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 09:06:42 AM »
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 09:51:17 AM »
If you loosen the cross pipe they should seat in head fine, then tighten the pipe back up. If they fit too close in the hole grind around the flange until they fit. It helps if you swing ea pipe individually in hole and not connected to cross pipe.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here