Author Topic: Minimum distance between Guzzi dealers?  (Read 939 times)

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
Minimum distance between Guzzi dealers?
« on: June 11, 2021, 02:00:01 PM »
Curious as to the minimum distance allowed beteen Guzzi dealers here in the states?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Minimum distance between Guzzi dealers?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 02:14:57 PM »
From the looks of things I’d guess 2 to 6 hours apart in most places. More in others.

I have no idea what the actual dealership guidelines say. But in practice, typically 2 or many more hours apart has been the norm for several decades.

Offline Ed / AF1 Racing

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 02:24:51 PM »
Usually that is more a state law rule. 

Here in Texas, it's 15 miles as the crow flies unless dealer #2 can prove in court there is a real need to have them closer (high volume like a Chevy dealer, or a very under-performing dealer #1).  We could stop any Moto Guzzi dealer closer than 15 miles from opening.

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 02:57:37 PM »
Reason I ask that is because our local Harley dealership is roughly 1 hr. away from the Guzzi dealer in West Chester, PA and Guzzi would make a great addition to the larger HD bikes. Thought about suggesting it to them. The Piaggio scotters and Aprillia lines would hit all levels of riders.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:43:01 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 02:57:37 PM »

Online cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 03:11:08 PM »
But doesn't Harley-Davidson have a rule against selling another brand under the same roof in one of their dealerships? Guess they could put up another building, but as a businessman, would YOU spend that kind of money gambling on running a successful (profitable) Guzzi dealership?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 04:01:43 PM »
Both Piaggio and Harley Davidson have stand alone one brand per dealership requirements.  That is unless there are prior rules in place and exemptions.  The HD dealership in Honolulu is also the importer for the Pacific Basin outside of Australia & New Zealand.

Different trade rules for Alaska & HD.  The HD dealers in Maui & Honolulu handle Kawasaki, Piaggio products, HD & Triumph.  There is some other stuff that I can't remember too. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 04:05:10 PM »
There was a "hook up" in the midwest.  The sales staff treated MG like a red headed step child. 
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »
But doesn't Harley-Davidson have a rule against selling another brand under the same roof in one of their dealerships? Guess they could put up another building, but as a businessman, would YOU spend that kind of money gambling on running a successful (profitable) Guzzi dealership?

Our Harley dealer sells Suzuki and Can-Am also.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 09:54:35 PM »
Moto Guzzi Brooklyn and Moto Guzzi Manhattan are 3.1 miles apart. Probably the shortest distance between any two Guzzi dealers.

Offline mondtster

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 11:05:39 PM »

The local H-D dealer also sells Yamaha. You'd never know it walking into the showroom though, it's 99% H-D. The story I was told that they didn't care about the motorcycle side of Yamaha, they were interested in Yamaha's other offerings.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 11:36:40 PM »
Upright, baby grand or electronic???
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 08:03:30 AM »
Vespa in NYC share a website so I doubt there is a lot of cut-throat competition there. https://www.vespabk.com/?RL=1

When my Griso was under warranty they misdiagnosed a simple problem and cost themselves a lot of time and money.

Their sales staff proved to be completely ignorant of current or past Guzzi models as well.

I am sure none of the people I encountered are currently employed there so YMMV.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 08:07:02 AM »
I don’t think there’s one in all of Illinois or Indiana

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 08:11:43 AM »
No Guzzi or BMW dealer in Kansas.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 08:52:05 AM »
I'm sure that if there were a general miles-apart rule, regardless of how short, my state would have only one MG dealer.  Fortunately, it does have one dealer, and a very good one, Razee Motorcycles.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
There’s no dealer in northern IL currently, which is a serious problem for Piaggio to fix. There is a dealer in Edwardsville IL near St. Louis.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 10:07:58 AM »
Visiting Chicago I’m always amazed that none of the young people have a V7. When you talk to them they never heard of Motoguzzi.It seems like that would be the place to market them and compete with all the ugly Ducatis.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 08:33:02 PM »
The Guzzi website doesn't show any dealers in IL. IIRC the Edwardsville dealer dropped Guzzi a couple years ago.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here