Author Topic: 2012 Moto Guzzi Norde  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Selorex

• New Egg
2012 Moto Guzzi Norde
« on: August 19, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »
Good Afternoon and thank you for welcoming me into the community.

I'm purchasing a 2012 Moto Guzzi Norde, but I've heard several different things about the flat tappets. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this?

Also, would you assist me in locating the necessary parts in order to convert to a roller tappet conversion? Is this something any of you have done? Did you see an increase not only in the valves but as well as the aggressiveness of the acceleration?

Thank you again, and I look forward to conversing with you all.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 01:50:19 PM by Selorex »

Offline Brian UK

• New Egg
    • Guzziriders
Re: 2012 Moto Guzzi Norde
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 04:12:01 PM »
A 2012 model will almost certainly have flat tappets, which will fail.
IF the bike has a FULL Guzzi service record you might be able to get the conversion kit FOC from Guzzi, then you pay for fitting, or do it yourself.

There are three different kits, A, B and C, dependig on the detail of your engine.
Many have certainly done the conversion.

Just hope you factor in the cost of this conversion to the price you are paying for the bike. It's not cheap. Think four figures.
Brian.

Offline Selorex

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 04:32:03 PM »
Hey Brian, thanks for the heads up!

The bike itself has around 30k miles on it, has it's full-service history and they're asking 3,500 for it. I was thinking that the conversion kit would run me roughly around 1,400 USD with me doing the labor. I just need to make sure that if I do pull the trigger on this purchase, I get the correct conversion kit by the sounds of it. It's a 1200 GT, would you be able to tell me which one would be needed for the conversion or would you need more info?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »
Better make sure the kit is even available before you jump in the deep end. What's your location?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 05:06:35 PM »
Remove one valve cover, or have someone do it for you if you are not confident.
Take a shot and post it here, there are many members who can tell immediately if it has been rollered.
The cost can be relatively small or not so, you must check what is required or you may be dramatically out of pocket.
There are many 8 valve Norges or good 4 valve ones around that hold no such fears.
Stay in touch BEFORE you commit to a deal.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 05:09:14 PM by Huzo »

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »
   My 2012 is a factory roller. Not all 12's were flat tappets. Just need to remove the valve cover to see.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 08:21:10 PM »
I did my 2012 Stelvio with a kit supplied by the dealer. Very doable job using Pete Ropers tutorial posted on this forum. A search should turn it up for you. AF1 Racing in Austin TX still lists the kits. Note the listing at the bottom of the page that has links that have pictures and instructions on how to determine which kit you need. A, B or C. The diffrence is in what valve covers you have. 

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=71398&sku=1A002060&description=Moto+Guzzi+Bucket+Tappet+Update+Kit+A+%2D+1A002060
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 08:43:59 PM »
Don't know where you live but here in US the campaign for replacement is still on, at least it was a month ago. If your dealer says different ask for proof, or go elsewhere. They still supply parts free if dealer does work.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Brian UK

• New Egg
    • Guzziriders
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 02:06:19 AM »
   My 2012 is a factory roller. Not all 12's were flat tappets. Just need to remove the valve cover to see.
Guzzi started to roll out the roller cam followers mid 2012. I know many 2012 models which were not rollered.

Luigi seemed to just pick up the part nearest when building them, so some of the later 2012 models have flat tappets.

You must check, never assume.
Brian.

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »
Back when all of this was a hot topic on the list someone made a joke that the way Guzzi phased in the rollers in 2012 there was most likely an 8V out there with rollers on one side and flats on the other.
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »
Hey Brian, thanks for the heads up!

The bike itself has around 30k miles on it, has it's full-service history and they're asking 3,500 for it. I was thinking that the conversion kit would run me roughly around 1,400 USD with me doing the labor. I just need to make sure that if I do pull the trigger on this purchase, I get the correct conversion kit by the sounds of it. It's a 1200 GT, would you be able to tell me which one would be needed for the conversion or would you need more info?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

30K miles is a ton of time to be ridden if it has flat tappets.  I would have serious concerns about not just replacing the tappets but accumulation of metal shavings in the engine, sump.  For that price, if it does have flat tappets, I'd pass and find one that has been rollerized or came with factory rollers.

Also if you are buying a Norde...that's not a real Guzzi model, it should say Norge, so hopefully you're not buying some knockoff mocked up as a Guzzi!

:)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:43:08 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 02:03:29 PM »
Back when all of this was a hot topic on the list someone made a joke that the way Guzzi phased in the rollers in 2012 there was most likely an 8V out there with rollers on one side and flats on the other.
Bonus..
It’ll take twice as long before it blows up.. ! :thumb:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 02:05:28 PM »

Also if you are buying a Norde...that's not a real Guzzi model, it should say Norge, so hopefully you're not buying some knockoff mocked up as a Guzzi!

:)
It should be ok mate.
It’s a Norge with a Ford engine..

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here