Author Topic: V7 Classic with Lario heads  (Read 140480 times)

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V7 Classic with Lario heads
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2015, 12:57:24 AM »
Well, I spent a lot of time tonight, got a few things done.  First thing I removed the stock plug caps from the wires.  They just unscrew easily.  I then screwed on the new NGK plug caps, which are the same 5K ohm resistance as the V7C stock caps.

The stock cap, looks kind of bad...

New cap..

I torqued the intake manifolds on, and put the throttle bodies on, they fit well.

After that I got side tracked trying to route the wiring harness around under the tank.  It is a real mess of wires. The plan tomorrow is to first of all clean the shop...as I had to grind off the cylinder head fins so the intakes would fit on both sides.  Then finish up the intake installation, and install the exhaust..

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2015, 08:09:03 AM »
Man, you are getting close to start-up! I like those plug caps a lot. Classy things they are. You'll have to post a pic with them on. Are you retired?  You must be putting in 5-6 hour days. Great job! ;-T
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
Man, you are getting close to start-up! I like those plug caps a lot. Classy things they are. You'll have to post a pic with them on. Are you retired?  You must be putting in 5-6 hour days. Great job! ;-T

I wish I was retired!  Lol.  I usually get time to work on the bike from 7:00pm to midnight.  Tomorrow I will have all day though.  If my cam chain tensioner comes in, I will be ready to run by tomorrow afternoon.  I hope it gets here!

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
I wish I was retired!  Lol.  I usually get time to work on the bike from 7:00pm to midnight.  Tomorrow I will have all day though.  If my cam chain tensioner comes in, I will be ready to run by tomorrow afternoon.  I hope it gets here!

Oh my, tomorrow maybe!!  Did you hire Chuck's camera crew?  We need to witness this thing.  :drool
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »

:pop :pop  :bike
The first start of an engine is always exciting, especially when it is something *different.*
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »
well, the timing chain tensioner did not show up today.  I might get it tomorrow.  That is all that I need to finish this up and start the bike.  I couldn't get photos to load tonight, I will try again in the morning.
Getting close to running it!!

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2015, 05:43:12 AM »
You've got us on seats edge!  Hoping tensioner comes soon. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Re:
« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2015, 07:49:53 AM »
I actually had a dream about your V7 4v! I guess I'm looking forward to startup too. :D

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
Re:
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »
I actually had a dream about your V7 4v! I guess I'm looking forward to startup too. :D

I hope it didn't blow up in the dream! LOL
Got some photos to upload finally.  Last night I finished installing the intake system.  I installed the bolts in the cam gear and torqued them.  Put on the tone wheel.  The rest of the evening I spent scraping gaskets, the timing cover gasket was stuck pretty good.

This is a pic of the airbox I made, in order to have a still air intake.  It did make the bike run better. I had pods on just right off of the throttle bodies, but they made the bike hesitate momentarily when I would open the throttle rapidly.  The airbox fixed that problem.  I noticed that the original rubber boots from the factory airbox were shaped like a velocity stack inside, so I used them with some scat hose to attach to my airbox.  The K&N filtration seems to work well.  I open up the intake and there is no dirt inside.  I live down a three mile dirt road, so I figure if the filtration really sucked, I would be able to tell.

Here is the other side.

Scat hose on the intake boots.

Cam gear bolts with Locktite 243. This is what the factory shop manual calls out to use on these fasteners.  Torque is 220 in/lbs.

Cam gear is done...

And all the old gasket is scraped off.  To clean the timing cover after I got it full of old gasket and grit, I put it in the sink with Dawn soap and hot water, scrubbed it out good.

Now if the tensioner would arrive!!  It was supposed to deliver between this Friday and Monday.  I got it from TLM in The Netherlands. 
I am going to go install the exhaust, and clean up the bike some.  It will be nice to work on it in the daylight...LOL

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2015, 01:27:14 PM »
A little thinking outside the box.  Nice.  ;-T  Of course, this whole project has been such an exercise.  Seems like you do a good job of thinking it all through and getting it right.  I like the solid mounts for the intakes you made up and the feed lines.
Here's to hoping the package arrives today.  :BEER:
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »
A little thinking outside the box.  Nice.  ;-T  Of course, this whole project has been such an exercise.  Seems like you do a good job of thinking it all through and getting it right.  I like the solid mounts for the intakes you made up and the feed lines.
Here's to hoping the package arrives today.  :BEER:

Shoot, no package today!  If I had been more careful and not screwed up the tensioner, I could have run it today.
Ah well, live and learn!
I went to install the exhaust today on the right side, and I found that the exhaust port on the 4 valve head is .021" deeper than the 2 valve head.  This means that the exhaust pipe will not tighten down on the exhaust gasket, as the pipe flange bottoms out before it gets tight.  Fortunately I had extra gaskets and was able to stack two of them.  I figure I will have to get the dimensions of the Lario exhaust sleeves, and order some.  The stacked gaskets should be ok for now.  Another note, the exhaust gaskets that the parts book calls out for the Lario are the same number as the the ones for the two valve head.  They are quite a bit smaller on the inside dimension than the exhaust port and pipe.  I was able to get some copper gaskets from TLM that were the right size. 

Here are some pics:
The two valve head port depth...

Four valve head port depth:

Gaskets as I had to install them:

Exhaust pipe sleeves...I need some that are .020 longer...

Got the pipe on.  New studs were torqued to 90 in/lbs.  I torqued the exhaust nuts to 100 in/lbs, just to make sure they were tight on the stacked gaskets.  I drilled and safetied the nuts.  I have had them work loose and come off before, so I always safety them now...

Looking good...

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2015, 11:21:44 PM »
Very cool!
What side covers on your bike?
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Penderic

« Reply #252 on: February 15, 2015, 01:58:58 AM »
 :pop

;-T

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2015, 05:46:23 AM »
Yep, looks the business all right. Nice job of safety wiring.. ;-T

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #254 on: February 15, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »
Very cool!
What side covers on your bike?
Ken

Thanks!  The side covers are from an 850t3 I think.  I mount them to the airbox.  I am taking off the S3 placards and putting a 750S decal on there.....eventuall y..

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #255 on: February 15, 2015, 08:04:36 AM »
Yep, looks the business all right. Nice job of safety wiring.. ;-T

Thanks Chuck!

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #256 on: February 15, 2015, 11:51:24 PM »
Did all I could on the bike today.  Now it's just waiting on a timing chain tensioner.  Tonight I installed the left side exhaust system, and put in a home made crankcase breather.  I based it on a suggestion from Guzziology.  Basically I took the two breather tubes coming from the valve covers and connected them at a tee fitting.  The hose coming out of the tee fitting I just made a loop in it, then attached a breather filter on the end of it.  The loop is supposed to keep too much oil from getting all the way to the breather.  It will be interesting to see how it works.
On another note, I found a spark plug I am more comfortable with using.  It is an NGK CR8HIX.  The same heat range as the C8HSA, but with a resistor in it.  I figure the two valve engine was running with resistor caps and plugs, I should get as close to that setup as I can.
Well, tomorrow is a holiday, so I probably will not get the tensioner until Tuesday at the earliest.  Just gotta be patient I guess.  I can't wait to fire that bike up....!!!!

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2015, 12:34:25 AM »
Looking good, this and Chuck's are proper projects, parked together they'd completely confuse the train spotters.

But without being contrite
Lockwiring ex nuts now is premature, like head gaskets, copper or multi layered ex gaskets will compress with heat cycle and should be retorqued after running (but cold)

That's why you've seen loose ones, not unusual just never serviced since assembly

They won't need wiring then but can't hurt, if left as is, gasket could leak after a while or even crack header.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2015, 06:44:58 AM »
Good point, but it'll only take a minute to tighten up up and re safety after a few heat cycles. <shrug>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
Looking good, this and Chuck's are proper projects, parked together they'd completely confuse the train spotters.

But without being contrite
Lockwiring ex nuts now is premature, like head gaskets, copper or multi layered ex gaskets will compress with heat cycle and should be retorqued after running (but cold)

That's why you've seen loose ones, not unusual just never serviced since assembly

They won't need wiring then but can't hurt, if left as is, gasket could leak after a while or even crack header.

Ah ok, thanks for that.  It's a good point that they will need re torquing eventually.  I hadn't thought of that.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2015, 02:17:33 PM »
Here's to hoping that package shows tomorrow!🍻

'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline fred garvin

• New Egg
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2015, 07:05:57 PM »
Nice choice on the Ago's. Looking forward to seeing and hearing your project run.

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
Here's to hoping that package shows tomorrow!🍻

Yes!!  I will be watching for the mail for sure!!  The tensioner I got was a used one from TLM.  I also ordered a new one from Harpers, but it is going to be a couple of weeks for them to get it from Italy.  The used one was supposed to be five days...not too bad...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2015, 05:39:04 AM »
Yes!!  I will be watching for the mail for sure!!  The tensioner I got was a used one from TLM.  I also ordered a new one from Harpers, but it is going to be a couple of weeks for them to get it from Italy.  The used one was supposed to be five days...not too bad...

I'd send you the one out of the Lario, but it would probably take 5 days to get there.. didn't realize that small block parts were so scarce. I guess there is no need for replacement tensioners, though.. they'll run forever. I'll betcha Eish's would have one, though.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2015, 07:32:15 AM »
I'd send you the one out of the Lario, but it would probably take 5 days to get there.. didn't realize that small block parts were so scarce. I guess there is no need for replacement tensioners, though.. they'll run forever. I'll betcha Eish's would have one, though.

That's a good point!  I'll give Joe a call today...

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2015, 10:50:54 AM »
That's a good point!  I'll give Joe a call today...

Or, maybe check with Ed Milich @ Guzzipower? Bet he has one laying around.
Charlie

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »
The tension(er) is driving all of us crazy.  :'(
We want to know what this bugger will do.  ;-T 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
Or, maybe check with Ed Milich @ Guzzipower? Bet he has one laying around.

Yes, I'll call him!!

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
The tension(er) is driving all of us crazy.  :'(
We want to know what this bugger will do.  ;-T 

Whew Man!!  I know!  I want to hear her fire up!  I will film it...post it up....hope she doesn't blow!!  Lol

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
Whew Man!!  I know!  I want to hear her fire up!  I will film it...post it up....hope she doesn't blow!!  Lol

Piece of cake.. not to worry..  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here