Author Topic: V7 Classic with Lario heads  (Read 140482 times)

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 Classic with Lario heads
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »
It's a prototype Ducati by Mariani according to "Dogwalker"

This is the cut through - imagine this timing gear as the front look of a new 8V SB Guzzi mill  :o  Would only take new heads/pistons and a new timing cover.

That is a cool concept with a nod to Ducati's history with bevel driven cams. It looks like the concept is using traditional valve springs. If they are going to use bevel driven cams it seems they should stick with Desmodromic cams.
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline IceBlue

• Gaggle Hero
  • Where words fail, music speaks. H. C. Andersen
    • Moto Guzzi Lario Fan Site
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2013, 01:32:49 AM »
Speaking of elegant and beautiful.. look at the casting for the 4V small block valve mechanism.. ;-T

:+1  ;-T
One of many things I like about the 8V SB's  The engine itself look so much better than it's contemporary SB mills. It has some competision now from the new V7 line - that mill looks cool too - but lacks the extra valves  ;)
Copenhagen Denmark - http://www.facebook.com/motoguzzilario

750 Targa - long legged younger sister of the Lario
V65 Lario - Short legged total brat
V65 Lario - Silver Streak
V35C - Smallest Guzzi cruiser
V75C - (project)
V75/4 - (project)

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2013, 03:39:45 AM »
That bevel drive is really expensive compared to a chain or belt drive.
The latest chain drive MG is a very good design, IMHO. Water cooling is inevitable to meet emission regulations, and increase power with reduced fuel consumption.
As said earlier, Piaggio Group chief engineer already stated that air cooled engine will survive the next emissions regulations (Euro-4 and Euro-5 have already been decided), even with a pratical limitation to 100 hp/l.
This means that it would be possible to have an emission compliant small block 800cc, air-cooled, engine, with 80hp.
So, it will be possible to do all the middleweight range, with the exception of the supersport, with one engine (enduro/crossover, sport naked,  touring, supermotard...), just see what BMW and Ducati does with their 800cc engines of similar prestations, and with the advantage that the Guzzi engine would also be suitable, as is,  for vintage and custom/cruiser bikes.
Chain, or belt, drive are less expensive than bevel drive, but they require redesigning the basement, cause they must be placed behind the cylinders. In front, they are a too big aerodynamic obstacle.
Bevel drive, as said, besides being beautiful and technically attractive, requires only the redesign of the heads and the front cover of the engine.
So, "really expensive", what does it means for a mass produced engine, with components purchased in blocks of thousands? 50 Euros for engine? It could easily turn to be a saving. Actually, we see that bevel drive is used in the Kawasaki W800, that is not an expensive bike, for aestetic reasons only.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2013, 07:12:59 AM »
This means that it would be possible to have an emission compliant small block 800cc, air-cooled, engine, with 80hp.

I'll buy that new Guzzi.  ;D Wonder if it'll be here when I'm still young enough to ride it? ;D :BEER:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2013, 07:12:59 AM »

Chas H

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2013, 09:03:24 AM »
As said earlier, Piaggio Group chief engineer already stated that air cooled engine will survive the next emissions regulations (Euro-4 and Euro-5 have already been decided), even with a pratical limitation to 100 hp/l.
So, it will be possible to do all the middleweight range, with the exception of the supersport, with one engine (enduro/crossover, sport naked,  touring, supermotard...), just see what BMW and Ducati does with their 800cc engines of similar prestations, and with the advantage that the Guzzi engine would also be suitable, as is,  for vintage and custom/cruiser bikes.
Chain, or belt, drive are less expensive than bevel drive, but they require redesigning the basement, cause they must be placed behind the cylinders. In front, they are a too big aerodynamic obstacle.
Bevel drive, as said, besides being beautiful and technically attractive, requires only the redesign of the heads and the front cover of the engine.
So, "really expensive", what does it means for a mass produced engine, with components purchased in blocks of thousands? 50 Euros for engine? It could easily turn to be a saving. Actually, we see that bevel drive is used in the Kawasaki W800, that is not an expensive bike, for aestetic reasons only.

In another thread we read that MG is moving to liquid cooling. Actions speak louder than words, so that is how I take the pronouncements of an engineer.
You mention re-designing the "basement" as if that would only be neccessary for chain or belt. Doing so for a bevel drive will be much more complicated, and if said bevel drive can be made at the front, so can chain and belt.
And really expensive does apply to bevel drive; there many more parts, some of them precision machined and adjusted, while none of that is needed for belt or chain. The Kawa engine uses one shaft and because they do use a shaft drive doesn't mean it's not expensive.

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
In another thread we read that MG is moving to liquid cooling. Actions speak louder than words,
And the action is the California 1400 engine.

You mention re-designing the "basement" as if that would only be neccessary for chain or belt. Doing so for a bevel drive will be much more complicated,
Really, no. If you know the disposition of the SB engine placing a pair of shafts and bevel gears in front of the engine, does not require any redesign of the block.

and if said bevel drive can be made at the front, so can chain and belt.
In fact the chain has been placed behind the cylinders in the new 4V. Chains and belts requires a box to contain them, placing it right in front of the cylinders means to greatly reduce the cooling. This does not apply, of course, to the shaft drive.

And really expensive does apply to bevel drive; there many more parts, some of them precision machined and adjusted, while none of that is needed for belt or chain. The Kawa engine uses one shaft and because they do use a shaft drive doesn't mean it's not expensive.
A Bevel drive has many more parts than a chain drive? How many?
And, so I asked, what does it means "really expensive"? have you an idea? I can see that the W800 use it, for aestetic reasons only, and it's not an expensive bike. So, how many $ for engine, for a mass produced engine?

Chas H

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »
And the action is the California 1400 engine.
Really, no. If you know the disposition of the SB engine placing a pair of shafts and bevel gears in front of the engine, does not require any redesign of the block.
In fact the chain has been placed behind the cylinders in the new 4V. Chains and belts requires a box to contain them, placing it right in front of the cylinders means to greatly reduce the cooling. This does not apply, of course, to the shaft drive.
A Bevel drive has many more parts than a chain drive? How many?
And, so I asked, what does it means "really expensive"? have you an idea? I can see that the W800 use it, for aestetic reasons only, and it's not an expensive bike. So, how many $ for engine, for a mass produced engine?

A bevel drive has precision parts. Spiral bevel gears must be hobbed, while sprockets for chain and belts can be made of sintered material. Bevel gears require precision mounting and adjustment, while chains and belts do not. All of that addds up to "really expensive".
I very much doubt anything can be done to the existing block without a re-design, for certain a bevel drive could not be bolted onto existing structure. Chains and belts can easily be run through passages created in existing parts, much the like we see pushrods running within the cylinder casting.

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »
A bevel drive has precision parts...
I know, thanks, so I asked: what does it means "really expensive"? have you an idea? How many $ for engine, for a mass produced engine? Since the existance of bevel drived bikes in the middle range market seems to demonstrate that producing them is not impossible, it would be interesting to know before to say it is too expensive to be produced.

Bevel gears require precision mounting and adjustment, while chains and belts do not.
Really? That's new. I had always thought that timing adjustement requires precision for chains and belts too.

I very much doubt anything can be done to the existing block without a re-design,  for certain a bevel drive could not be bolted onto existing structure.
Really? Given that the bevel gear would be placed on the head of the existing camshaft, where once there was the distributor, why not?

Chains and belts can easily be run through passages created in existing parts, much the like we see pushrods running within the cylinder casting.
Since this would require to put a pair of sprockets inside the engine (a very compact and "crowded" one like the SB), where today there is none, I do not see it that simple.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:21:09 AM by Dogwalker »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »
I know, thanks, so I asked: what does it means "really expensive"? have you an idea? How many $ for engine, for a mass produced engine? Since the existance of bevel drived bikes in the middle range market seems to demonstrate that producing them is not impossible, it would be interesting to know before to say it is too expensive to be produced.

Spiral bevel gears *are* very expensive to produce, and the manufacturing tolerance is much fussier. If Honda (or even Kawasaki) with their thousands of units produced were doing it, you might have an argument. With Guzzi's few hundred (in a good year) units, it would add *considerably* to the cost, IMHO. Just sayin..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »
Spiral bevel gears *are* very expensive to produce, and the manufacturing tolerance is much fussier. If Honda (or even Kawasaki) with their thousands of units produced were doing it, you might have an argument. With Guzzi's few hundred (in a good year) units, it would add *considerably* to the cost, IMHO. Just sayin..

Not to mention the "noise" they produce...
Charlie

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2013, 01:27:46 PM »
The W800 engine is used only in the W800, that is produced in some thousands per year.
Guzzi SB are produced in some thousands per year (now that the line is composed with V7 and Nevada only. As i Said, an 80HP SB would be good to made some other model too).
It seems quite comparable to me.

Chas H

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
Really? That's new. I had always thought that timing adjustement requires precision for chains and belts too.
Really? Given that the bevel gear would be placed on the head of the existing camshaft, where once there was the distributor, why not?
Since this would require to put a pair of sprockets inside the engine (a very compact and "crowded" one like the SB), where today there is none, I do not see it that simple.

The precision mounting and adjustment of bevel gears is in addition to the timing requirement. Which model Guzzi engine had the distibutor mounted on the camshaft? None I know of.
You obvioulsy know little about gear trains, so get yourself educated and get back to us when you have.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:02:44 PM by Chas H »

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »
Which model Guzzi engine had the distibutor mounted on the camshaft? None I know of.
Guzzi SB with the distributor placed at the end of the camshaft (is mo more there in the IE models).

The end of the camshaft (above)

The camshaft

You obvioulsy know little about gear trains, so get yourself educated and get back to us when you have.
Sorry, but I do not consider arrogance a valid argument, and, so far, it does not seems to me that you've proven to know much of the subject you're talking about.
Are you plural in some way?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:55:16 PM by Dogwalker »

Chas H

« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »
I don't see a distributor in the photos. Can you try again?

Here's a photo of a Ducati timing chest-not much is similar to the MG, starting with the big ball bearing supporting the crankshaft, which drives the gear train.
As I stated earlier, your knowledge of gear trains is far from complete.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:03:11 PM by Chas H »

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2013, 07:05:13 PM »
I don't see a distributor in the photos.
Then the bevel gear can not be put there for a matter of semantics? Must be a new field of mechanics.

Here's a photo of a Ducati timing chest-
As I stated earlier, your knowledge of gear trains is far from complete.
Sorry, but that photo is not an argument. You can see another interpretation of the same subject in Mariani's prototype above. There is no requirement for a bevel gear to be attached directly to the crankshaft. Is only one of the possible choices.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:16:17 PM by Dogwalker »

Chas H

« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »
Then the bevel gear can not be put there for a matter of semantics? Must be a new field of mechanics.
Sorry, but that photo is not an argument. You can see another interpretation of the same subject in Mariani's prototype above. there is no reason for the bevel gear to be attached directly to the crankshaft. Is only one of the possible choices.
Sematics it is not. You don't understand the basic definitions of engine architecture.
But you were quite happy to post photos in support of your erroneous opinion.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:19:22 PM by Chas H »

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »
You were quite happy to post a photo to support your erroneous opinion.
I thought you might have understood what I was talking about anyway. Unfortunately, it seems that dialectical questions continue to interest you more than mechanical ones.

So, can you tell me a reason for which a bevel gear can not be placed there (the fact that in an Ducati engine was in another place, is not a big reason)?

You don't understand the basic definitions of engine architecture.
Arrogance is still not a valid argument for me.
So far, it does not seem to me that you brought much to support your points.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:29:53 PM by Dogwalker »

Chas H

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »
I thought you might have understood what I was talking about anyway. Unfortunately, it seems that dialectical questions continue to interest you more than mechanical ones.

So, can you tell me a reason for which a bevel gear can not be placed there (the fact that in an Ducati engine was in another place, is not a big reason)?

So far, it does not seem to me that you brought much to support your points.

I already explained why. You chose to ignore that.
Good day and good bye.

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2013, 07:33:19 PM »
I already explained why.
Really? I must have missed it. Can you do a summary? Something that starts with: "the bevel gear can not be placed there because..." followed by some real mechanical reason, so that even an ignorant like me can understand.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:16:46 PM by Dogwalker »

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
I don't think mwrenn is looking to put bevel drive on his SB, just Lario heads. You guys probably need to start a thread!  :-*
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2013, 10:34:20 PM »
I don't think mwrenn is looking to put bevel drive on his SB, just Lario heads. You guys probably need to start a thread!  :-*

LMAO!  Thanks for that. Its funny, all the talk of bevel drives, water cooling etc...I like Guzzi's because they are dead simple, easy to work on, and easy to become passionate about.  Guess I'm just old school that way. I'd take a Pratt&Whitney R985 over a PT6A-67 anyday! 

Pushrod actuated valves and aircooling has worked for a lot of years.  I'm all about improving things, but there is something to be said for proven designs that work.  And that are economical to modify...LOL

Offline IceBlue

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2013, 02:59:44 AM »
LMAO!  Thanks for that. Its funny, all the talk of bevel drives, water cooling etc...I like Guzzi's because they are dead simple, easy to work on, and easy to become passionate about.  Guess I'm just old school that way. I'd take a Pratt&Whitney R985 over a PT6A-67 anyday!  

Pushrod actuated valves and aircooling has worked for a lot of years.  I'm all about improving things, but there is something to be said for proven designs that work.  And that are economical to modify...LOL

Wow is that a cool pic or what ;-T  On a serious note though, the valve train on the Lario is its weak point The SB mill was originally designed for 2V heads. Hence the cam lobe, tappet issues managing now twice the springs and valve assemblies. Some kind of OHC design would fix the weakness once and for all. In spite of this I sure like the 8V SB's - and consider it a challenge to make them last  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:03:49 AM by IceBlue »

V75C - (project)
V75/4 - (project)

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2013, 06:17:03 PM »
That is a good point Brian.  Just my opinion, but I think the design is sound, I believe it was more the materials that were used to assemble the original bikes that was the problem.  Cam wear and valve breakage caused by increased spring pressure, which was necessary to stop valve float at high rpm.  To be frank, what I'm doing on my project is really only part of a fix.  After all, I'm going to be limited on the RPM to 7600, and to really make power I should be turning up to 9000 or so.  I am attempting to make a reliable engine though, so I will keep the rpm's down.  I think with the Ferrea super alloy valves I'm installing, the DLC coating on the cam and lifters, and bronze guides in the heads, I will be ok.  I guess we will see...LOL  I have all the parts ordered now, its just a matter of waiting for them to arrive, and then shipping out the heads, cam and lifters for work.   ;-T ;-T ;-T

Chas H

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2013, 06:55:05 PM »
There. Fixed it for ya!

Thanks for that! It's not often I come across someone that never made a spelling misteak.

Offline IceBlue

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2013, 11:17:34 PM »
That is a good point Brian.  Just my opinion, but I think the design is sound, I believe it was more the materials that were used to assemble the original bikes that was the problem.  Cam wear and valve breakage caused by increased spring pressure, which was necessary to stop valve float at high rpm.  To be frank, what I'm doing on my project is really only part of a fix.  After all, I'm going to be limited on the RPM to 7600, and to really make power I should be turning up to 9000 or so.  I am attempting to make a reliable engine though, so I will keep the rpm's down.  I think with the Ferrea super alloy valves I'm installing, the DLC coating on the cam and lifters, and bronze guides in the heads, I will be ok.  I guess we will see...LOL  I have all the parts ordered now, its just a matter of waiting for them to arrive, and then shipping out the heads, cam and lifters for work.   ;-T ;-T ;-T

I guess you are doing a "Kevin" - at least on the valve train  ;D  Your bike will likely last into the next millenium  ;-T
Can't wait to hear the first ride report  ;-T ...and yes, if Guzzi had used better materials, and the wider cam from the start, they would have had a lot less issues IMHO, perhaps even as little as other later SB's, but in the middle of the remediation process it looked like Guzzi just dropped the ball and ran away from the 8V SB's. Sad IMO.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:15:28 AM by IceBlue »

V75C - (project)
V75/4 - (project)

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
Well, things are proceeding apace with the project.  The main thing that takes time is the shipping of parts from Italy and Germany.  At this point I have located all the parts necessary to complete the conversion, I have to wait until they arrive, then send the heads off for new bronze guides, send the cam and lifters in for DLC coating, complete the initial dyno run with the stock heads etc...
I thought I would post a few pictures of the progress to this point.  Tonight I removed the right hand head and cylinder in order to weigh the existing piston.  I removed the exhaust, intake, and fuel tank to start with.

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2013, 11:19:46 PM »
The cylinder looks good with 15,000 miles on it, the hone marks look fresh.

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2013, 11:26:43 PM »
There are two issues that have come up, both managable.  The original cylinder base studs are too short for the 4 valve configuration.   You can see that two of the outboard studs don't even come through the head.

Fortunately a cylinder stud kit for a Volkswagen Beetle has the exact length, diameter, and thread that I need.  10mm x 240mm, and 10mm x 214mm.  Both in a 1.5 thread per mm pitch.  The VW studs are chromemoly from CB performance, they should do the trick.

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2013, 11:33:08 PM »
The other issue is that the stock rh head incorporates a cylinder temp sensor for the fuel injection computer.  I do not think this will be an issue with my new heads.  I have installed a re-flashed ECU from Todd at Guzzitech, and a Power Commander V with Autotune.  This lets me adjust the fueling based on what the O2 sensor is reading.  I am pretty sure the CHT input is not used anymore.  I will have to study up on that though.  Here you can see how the CHT sensor is mounted in the 2 valve head.

Offline IceBlue

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2013, 11:49:58 PM »
Great info Mike  ;-T

I needed a set of studs too a while back for a 750 8V project. At that time the ony way even Martin Hagemann could help me was selling me an additional used V75/4 crank case - happy for that today, as it turned into an additional mill later on  ;D

Great work and great info ;-T

V75C - (project)
V75/4 - (project)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here