Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 398590 times)

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #420 on: December 29, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
Yes, I think so as well. The Aero heads do not have receding find leading to the plugs/valve covers. I think that is a Targa.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #421 on: December 29, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
Perhaps a proof of concept use to prove out that it would work before more investment in the Aero engine...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #422 on: December 29, 2014, 02:40:31 PM »
Perhaps a proof of concept use to prove out that it would work before more investment in the Aero engine...

Makes sense. Commonly done..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #423 on: December 29, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »
<jumping up and down> Woo Hoo! Looky here! The Kid finally came through and sent me a set of brand new 36mm pumpers, hoses, and hose clamps. (Guzzi content) Cheap. (more Guzzi content)  ;D well, relatively, at any rate.. Now I can start thinking about making up some intakes.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #423 on: December 29, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »

Rumba

« Reply #424 on: December 29, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
there are two things of which I make sure to buy them new, underwear and carburators.  ;D
now get them apart and let us have the idle and mainjet dimensions, Needle and emulsion tube
sizes would be nice as well.
I bet the jets in there are way too small as always, let us help you with that.

:BEER:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #425 on: December 29, 2014, 05:47:21 PM »
there are two things of which I make sure to buy them new, underwear and carburators.  ;D
now get them apart and let us have the idle and mainjet dimensions, Needle and emulsion tube

I'll do that, but probably not tomorrow.
Edit: deleted some stuff that sounded like I was whining. :) I thought this project would take maybe a month. I'm getting no time to work (play) on it, and it might just take all Winter at the current rate. <shrug> Patience is it's own reward, they say....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:13:48 PM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #426 on: December 29, 2014, 10:52:19 PM »
The carb stuff is what gets interesting. You'll have to ride it to know what's really going on... or dyno of course to REALLY know what's going on. Yours is such an unknown, but not unlike mine actually. Be curious what you have to start with.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Joaozz

« Reply #427 on: December 30, 2014, 03:11:28 AM »
Makes sense. Commonly done..Perhaps a proof of concept use to prove out that it would work before more investment in the Aero engine...
Yes, it is exactly what they have done - after testing this unit the engineers team started the evolutional proccess,
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:15:44 AM by Joaozz »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #428 on: December 30, 2014, 05:50:13 AM »
Yes, it is exactly what they have done - after testing this unit the engineers team started the evolutional proccess,

Nice work. I'd have never thought of the turntable lathe.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #429 on: December 30, 2014, 06:41:30 AM »

So the Israeli Air Force were the original people to say...

"The Guzzi smallblock needs another 10-20 hp."

;) ;D

Looks like Guzzi listened to them, could we try and get the IAF to order the V7II? They could ask for another 10-20 hp again...

I like how the Aero story so far revolves around Larios. A cool parallel in my eyes.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #430 on: December 30, 2014, 08:51:45 AM »
Is there a better sb to revolve around?  :BEER:
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline dan_s

• Gosling
    • http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=128
« Reply #431 on: January 01, 2015, 02:53:57 AM »
So the Israeli Air Force were the original people to say...

"The Guzzi smallblock needs another 10-20 hp."

;) ;D

Looks like Guzzi listened to them, could we try and get the IAF to order the V7II? They could ask for another 10-20 hp again...

I like how the Aero story so far revolves around Larios. A cool parallel in my eyes.
Samuel told me that he met people from Israeli Air Industries who actually worked on the Hunter project. They are so secretive that they were reluctant to tell him anything about what was done on the engines even though ~30 years have past.
At least we have Ed Millich.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #432 on: January 01, 2015, 08:01:03 AM »
Samuel told me that he met people from Israeli Air Industries who actually worked on the Hunter project. They are so secretive that they were reluctant to tell him anything about what was done on the engines even though ~30 years have past.
At least we have Ed Millich.

I can imagine military secrets are closely held in Israel.  Too bad, it's a fascinating story.  I was over there a few years ago, but didn't know about the Hunter project at the time.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #433 on: January 01, 2015, 08:47:21 AM »
I can imagine military secrets are closely held in Israel.  Too bad, it's a fascinating story.  I was over there a few years ago, but didn't know about the Hunter project at the time.

I would imagine so. I've *looked* for data to no avail. No problem, though.. it's just a Guzzi.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #434 on: January 01, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »
I would imagine so. I've *looked* for data to no avail. No problem, though.. it's just a Guzzi.  ;D

With the differences in culture, it would probably be easier to get info from the Italian side.  Finding the couple of Guzzi engineers that worked on the project might be next to impossible.  Unless you lived in Italy, and simply made finding those guys kind of a hobby.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

lawries

« Reply #435 on: January 06, 2015, 08:14:14 AM »
Hey Chuck, hope all is well with you and yours.
I'm going cold turkey waiting for the next instalment of this awesome build.  :BEER:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #436 on: January 06, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »
Hey Chuck, hope all is well with you and yours.
I'm going cold turkey waiting for the next instalment of this awesome build.  :BEER:

;D ;D Sorry.. haven't had time to play much, I've been Driving Miss Daisy. She only has 4 appointments this week, and fortunately  ;) we had a fair amount of snow last night, and her sister is running her around in their 4 wheel drive. Unfortunately, I have to go to the other shop to run my antique lathe, and I'm not sure I can get there. I did manage to finish up the head guards yesterday, and made a pair for 'Trucks spare Centauro, so I haven't been completely slackin.. ;D :BEER: More later.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #437 on: January 06, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »

Ok, for those of you (and I) that were wondering what's in these carbs. They are what Delorto Direct says are for an 1000SP. Well, that can't be right.. The 1000SP used a 30mm carb, as far as I know.
So, as I tore it down, I first saw a K18 needle, and thought..hmmm that's good.
60/3 slide.  ;-T those things are expensive..(Guzzi content)
130 Main. Fine
50 idle. Ditto
AR268 atomiser. Ok. Guzziology sez he prefers the AB268 for a richer mid range.
This is essentially what is in the LeMans III with a richer main. I'm a happy camper..it'll be plenty close enough to run as is and tune later.. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #438 on: January 06, 2015, 11:04:20 AM »
 ;-T
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #439 on: January 06, 2015, 11:07:40 AM »
;D ;D Sorry.. haven't had time to play much, I've been Driving Miss Daisy. She only has 4 appointments this week, and fortunately  ;) we had a fair amount of snow last night, and her sister is running her around in their 4 wheel drive. Unfortunately, I have to go to the other shop to run my antique lathe, and I'm not sure I can get there. I did manage to finish up the head guards yesterday, and made a pair for 'Trucks spare Centauro, so I haven't been completely slackin.. ;D :BEER: More later.

Thank you Chuck. :bow  I greatly appreciate it!  Beers on me at the rally!!  IPA if I recall correctly.  :BEER:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #440 on: January 06, 2015, 11:16:41 AM »
Thank you Chuck. :bow  I greatly appreciate it!  Beers on me at the rally!!  IPA if I recall correctly.  :BEER:

IPAs are good. I liked some of that 90 year old Scotch you had at the nationals, too.  ;D  ~;
I'll throw them in the mail tomorrow. Maybe..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #441 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »
Are you going to give the floats the float test?
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #442 on: January 06, 2015, 04:26:38 PM »
Are you going to give the floats the float test?

As in flotation test? Are these the leakers?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #443 on: January 06, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »
If you remember, I had some big block intake manifolds for 36mm carbs. I was planning on cutting them up and welding them to the aero flanges, but.. the angle wasn't right. The small block frame interferes, along with the starter on the left side. Yes, Martin, I dummied them up using the straight flanges and they seriously interfere with my legs. Maybe not too big a deal with a race bike, but this *may* turn out to be my touring bike as I ..er.. mature.  ;D Either it or the Skorpion tour that I have my eye on.
But I digress..
So I ordered some mandrel bent tubing. Bought a couple of them while I was at it so I'd have plenty to work with. It's cheap.

Indicated the aero flange, and made a cad drawing.

Back in the day, a guy would just paint Dykem blue on the stock, transfer the holes with transfer punches, drill the holes, bolt it to the manifold, scribe around it, band saw the blank out, and finish it on the disc sander.
That's so 20th century.. 
Rummaged through my good junk and didn't find exactly what I wanted. The snow plow had been through, so I ran down to Ed's and looked for the right piece of steel to steal.  ;D :BEER: He didn't have it either. Ok, off to the steel supplier and rummage through their scrap. Neither did they. ::) Thought, "This is going to be expensive, it costs more to cut off a piece of steel than it's worth.." when the counter girl came out and said, "Oh, I didn't know anyone was here. I've already closed the cash register."
Some days it doesn't pay to chew through the straps....

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

lawries

« Reply #444 on: January 07, 2015, 12:29:36 AM »
Thanks Chuck, feeling much better now :bow

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #445 on: January 07, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »
Thanks Chuck, feeling much better now :bow

I'd hate to see a guy with the shakes.  ;D After another day of Driving Miss Daisy.. they called us on the road and said the tests hadn't come in, come back next week..  ::)  I got a couple of hours to continue. Eyeballing, measuring, and making a template for the carb fitup..

Putting a metal cutting blade on the band saw. Making blades, etc. is covered on the Lario Rehab thread, no need to rehash that.

And cutting out the prototype..

Even a blind hog finds an acorn, now and then..  ;D

Maybe it could be just a little shorter, but not much. We''ll need a for real flange bolted on the engine for final fit. Starting to make a couple, but the beer o'clock whistle just blew. More tomorrow after yet another trip to Indy..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online dblue

• Gosling
« Reply #446 on: January 07, 2015, 08:04:49 PM »
Chuck,
You da Man!
David Blue
dfblue46@outlook.com
937-210-8721

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #447 on: January 08, 2015, 06:21:38 AM »
You might want to black oxide those manifolds. Not expensive. <almost Guzzi content>
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #448 on: January 08, 2015, 06:47:44 AM »
You might want to black oxide those manifolds. Not expensive. <almost Guzzi content>

Yeah, I used to black oxide industrial machinery I built back in the day, but the shop that did it is probably closed, too.  >:( It's an industrial waste land around here.. It would look kool..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Rumba

« Reply #449 on: January 08, 2015, 07:50:14 AM »
Ok, for those of you (and I) that were wondering what's in these carbs.
130 Main. Fine
50 idle. Ditto

the 130 main is a joke, the #50 idle jets will make the engine rpm "float" around 1500,
with no matter how far you turn the idle mixture adjustment screw inwards.

that said, I do not like your manifolds.  They are too long and too much bend inside the frame,
I'd get them way shorter, somewhat straighter, and have the sidecovers altered instead.
I 've built several bikes ( and inlet manifolds ) by myself so far, this is not the way I would do it.

get bigger jets, you know you want to.
we run 58/60 pilot jets and mains from 142 to 150, at sea level.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here