Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 398539 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #570 on: January 25, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »

Another decision to make. I'm loathe to cut up a rare and unusual machine. I *am* an antiquer, after all. The fairing wings don't even come close to fitting these heads. The fairing works beautifully, and the wings are part of the reason.

Just lay up new ones that will fit. Easy peasey for a guy with your talents...  ;D
Charlie

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #571 on: January 25, 2015, 03:50:13 PM »
Just lay up new ones that will fit. Easy peasey for a guy with your talents...  ;D

Sure......  :D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #572 on: January 25, 2015, 05:43:58 PM »

...AND the local paint store already proved you can get a great color match :thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #573 on: January 26, 2015, 07:48:22 AM »
If someone has one that is cracked or otherwise disfigured maybe you could swap with them?  I know that's a long shot.  Seems a shame to hack up a 'rare' piece, but, I've done worse :)

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #573 on: January 26, 2015, 07:48:22 AM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #574 on: January 26, 2015, 08:03:17 AM »
If someone has one that is cracked or otherwise disfigured maybe you could swap with them?  I know that's a long shot.  Seems a shame to hack up a 'rare' piece, but, I've done worse :)

I'd still be cutting up an antique part. Ah... I'm going to do it. <shrug> It'll still be repairable if someone *needs* one in the distant future. I'll finish up my (yuck) job today and have at it tomorrow.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #575 on: January 26, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
I'd still be cutting up an antique part. Ah... I'm going to do it. <shrug> It'll still be repairable if someone *needs* one in the distant future. I'll finish up my (yuck) job today and have at it tomorrow.

You keep doing this and you might have to admit you have a problem.   ;)  ~;  :BEER:
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #576 on: January 26, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »
You keep doing this and you might have to admit you have a problem.   ;)  ~;  :BEER:

Yeah, maybe.. but all my adult life I've fooled with antique airplanes and learned early on that you never trashed an original part. *Someone* would need it some day.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #577 on: January 26, 2015, 11:03:47 AM »
Yeah, maybe.. but all my adult life I've fooled with antique airplanes and learned early on that you never trashed an original part. *Someone* would need it some day.

I've got two pair of those wings if you need an extra.  I tend to strip my bikes down so I don't wear things out.  :D 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #578 on: January 26, 2015, 03:55:29 PM »
I've got two pair of those wings if you need an extra.  I tend to strip my bikes down so I don't wear things out.  :D 

I'll definitely keep you in mind. If the aero engine doesn't work out for whatever reason I'll need some uncut ones.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #579 on: January 26, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »
I've never read anything good about the original coils in the Lario, so I thought I'd check the Aero engine coils. I've never seen them used on anything but a computer bike, but...
the Matco Meter says .8 ohms. I *assume* they are totally unusable with the Dyna, right?

Chuck can you use a resistor with them? I'll bet they are good quality coils.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:33:42 PM by john A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #580 on: January 27, 2015, 05:37:01 AM »
I've never read anything good about the original coils in the Lario, so I thought I'd check the Aero engine coils. I've never seen them used on anything but a computer bike, but...
the Matco Meter says .8 ohms. I *assume* they are totally unusable with the Dyna, right?

Chuck can you use a resistor with them? I'll bet they are good quality coils.

I have no idea. I'll post a separate thread so one of the electrical whizzes can clue us in.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #581 on: January 27, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »
Finished up the nozzles yesterday and delivered them today. Should be able to finish this little project up this week with any luck at all. The brake reservoir came in the mail yesterday. I *assumed* it would just be the reservoir, but it's the whole thing.  ;-T

Now, let's get after this nasty fiberglass. If you've never done it before, here's the tricks of the trade. ;D Safety glasses. Particle mask. Barrier cream.

Barrier cream, you say? Trust me. It's water soluble. Apply it liberally, and rub it in. It makes it easy to wash up and get rid of that stupid fiberglass that you've been grinding on. If you don't get rid of all of it, the first time you put on your $100 jacket  ;) you'll notice that your arms itch. You'll eventually throw away that $100 jacket.  ;) BTDT, won't do it again. There are also throw away sleeves that you put on like a sock, but I'm out. Fortunately, I don't do this kind of job any more. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy cutting fiberglass?  ~;
Ok, ready? This is what mold makers call a pencil grinder. Air powered. Normally, it's used with small carbide burrs, dental burrs, grinding wheels and polishing bobs. Easy to manipulate, and around 60K rpms. With a carbide burr, it will just walk right through this stuff. I'd recommend practicing a bit before trying to cut to the line. There's a very real possibility of it getting away from you, breaking the burr, and trashing the workpiece.
Do it over the shop vac to keep the worst of the microscopic glass particles from flying about.

A few seconds later, the first rough cut. This kind of work *can* be done with a Dremel. It's just clumsy and not as powerful.

There will be many trial fits, and not a whole lot of room for error if it is going to look good *and* clear the fairing at full lock. Stock, it just touches. Both sides have to be fit up at the same time. To save time when locating the bolt, this is a piece of aircraft hardware called a Monadnack clip. It's just a captured nut on a clip. Saves a lot of time fiddling with loose nuts.  :o :BEER:

More later...it'll take all afternoon.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #582 on: January 27, 2015, 11:59:20 AM »
Backing up a couple days to the spark plug? Hoping you have the right heat range but what if you don't? Stop by a friendly airport to try out a couple different ones? Inquiring minds want to know?
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #583 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »
Backing up a couple days to the spark plug? Hoping you have the right heat range but what if you don't? Stop by a friendly airport to try out a couple different ones? Inquiring minds want to know?

I'm guessing, and it's only a guess.. that they will be too cold. Airplane engines run WFO or near it all the time. Earlier in the thread, someone posted a cross reference for it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #584 on: January 27, 2015, 05:06:01 PM »
Just as I suspected, it took all afternoon. I *really* wanted to make it look as stock as possible. but couldn't do it. I wanted this..

And could get it on one side or the other, but not both sides at once. After all, the Aero heads are over an inch taller, and quite a bit wider where it matters.
Finally gave up

bit the bullet and started whacking, trial fitting, cleaning up the mess, etc. and ended up here.

Made up a prototype mounting bracket for the rear. After I make those, I'll fit everything up for the last time. Whew! Beer O'clock.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #585 on: January 27, 2015, 05:10:31 PM »
well looks like it was made in Mandello that way.  Now put the gas in and start it.  But you like to raise the tension :-)
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Vasco DG

« Reply #586 on: January 27, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the ride report. Should be fun.

Pete

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #587 on: January 27, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
Nice job on the fairing. You've got a good eye.

(...imho  the red fork gaitors have to go   :o    :). )

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #588 on: January 27, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »
well looks like it was made in Mandello that way.  Now put the gas in and start it.  But you like to raise the tension :-)

Thanks, Paul.  ;D I so want it to look factory. Tension? I always tell guys that build airplanes to *not* fly them until they are absolutely done. Same deal here. You get riding it, and you'll never get around to fitting up these wings, etc.  ;)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #589 on: January 27, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
Nice job on the fairing. You've got a good eye.

(...imho  the red fork gaitors have to go   :o    :). )

Dang! You and Lucky Phil. They were On Sale. With Free Shipping.. (Guzzi content) and they match. <shrug>  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #590 on: January 27, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »
Dang! You and Lucky Phil. They were On Sale. With Free Shipping.. (Guzzi content) and they match. <shrug>  ;D

Ok, ok, ok, I like the fact that they are functional (Guzzi content) and will keep your fork tubes from pitting <shrug>  ;D

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #591 on: January 27, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »
Ok, ok, ok, I like the fact that they are functional (Guzzi content) and will keep your fork tubes from pitting <shrug>  ;D

;D ;D Well, there ya go..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #592 on: January 27, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »
Without handcuffs Chuck, you could truly be dangerous.  ;-T
Looking forward to the startup.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #593 on: January 27, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »
For the love of God! The suspense is thick! This is like some Saturday serial cliff hanger. :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop 
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #594 on: January 27, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
Nice fairing detail!    ;-T
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #595 on: January 27, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »
For the love of God! The suspense is thick! This is like some Saturday serial cliff hanger. :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop :pop 

Stay tuned!! Don't touch that dial!!!  ;D The kid just called and said he'd bring down some grappa for the first startup..

"Here, hold my grappa. Watch this, you all.." <disaster lurking>

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #596 on: January 27, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
Great, lets get it on.  <smug>
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #597 on: January 27, 2015, 09:04:07 PM »
ooh my

:pop
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Rusty goose

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #598 on: January 27, 2015, 11:38:35 PM »
Oh man, you have me riveted to my seat. Ok, the fiberglass mods look great. The lines are probably better looking now than they were originally.

But everytime I see there is a new post to this thread I'm hoping it is the video of the start up. Man it is torture stringing it out for us!
Rusty
" A situation is never so bad that it can't get just a little bit worse."

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #599 on: January 27, 2015, 11:47:34 PM »
stupid question:  Is the fuel tank going to fit?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here