Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 398597 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #750 on: February 11, 2015, 01:14:45 PM »
Much like a drug dealer, you have hooked us, so what do you have for us now my friend!  Perhaps a an old guzzi tarting up, you know the one, in the back of the hanger, showed in one of your pics... That boy needs to be ready to ride by spring, and I know a guy who will pony up the cash..... Just sayin if you need to keep the show going.
Cheers Chuck and Dorcia,
Jon

I've already had that bad boy apart and together way too many times now. Just turn the key..  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #751 on: February 11, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
First ride.
Couldn’t stand it any more. It’s 31 degrees and not snowing. The roads are relatively clear although there’s a lot of sand.. and ice free if you stay on more heavily traveled roads. I thought, “If the hanger door isn’t frozen shut, I’m going to give it a go.” It wasn’t, so I rode up to the Guzzi Garage ™ to get suited up. Thought, “apparently the new Dyna coils are working.”  ;D  Aired up the tires to 28 and 32. One last inspection….
The last time I was in California, Cycle Gear was bringing out their Freeze out line. Half price on the shirt with a FREE balaclava thrown in. How could I keep my wallet closed?  ;D  It’s really nice stuff. Put those on, along with my ancient Motoport Winter bibs. Put my jacket liner in, finished the ensemble with my seldom used Winter gloves. Took the cell fone, and told Dorcia where the tie down straps and ramp were in the unlikely case of hearing the Dogga Dogga noise..  :o
First, let me say this. Whenever someone spends a lot of money or time on a project, they have a tendency to like it. I’m fully aware of this phenomenon. I told myself to just be as objective as possible.
It started instantly of course, after all, it has carbs and a Dyna.. and I just rode off keeping the rpms up above 2K until I came to the first stop about ¼ mile away. By that time, it was warm enough to lumpily idle at a little above 1000.  Alrighty, now!
Everyone has a different idea on break in, and this engine is new. I pulled out on the main road and caned the tits off it.  ~;  Well, not really, but accelerated pretty hard, and then closed the throttle to lube the rings. As Pete says, I think a little wee came out.  ;D It has it’s own distinctive sound, and it is just lovely on over run. Didn’t stay at any particular rpm, and definitely didn’t just putt around. Accelerated and decelerated a fair amount.
It’s certainly “different” from the Lario engine. The first thing you notice is there is none of that revving and slipping the clutch needed from a stop. Good bottom end torque. Fifth gear roll ons are drama free, just turn the handle. One time, I tried it at 2500 in fifth, and it just shook very lightly, and motored off. (!!) Very un Lario like. I certainly won’t be doing that, but it will do it.
I observed a 7000 rpm redline for this first ride, and hit that several times. It was still pulling strongly. Throttle response is quite good. That may be aided by the accelerator pumps. Dunno. Only whacked it WFO one time, and I think it might need a little bigger main jet. Not really a bog, it just felt like there was more waiting. Guzziology says the 36s are aided in the mid range by changing to the AB atomizer. That will be the first change, and we’ll go from there. Drivability is only going to get better. I haven’t even hooked up the carb stix yet.
Put 30 miles on it and when I pulled into the driveway, the garage door magically opened.  ;D Dorcia said she thought I was just going around the block and she was worried..
Actually, I hated to come back, but by that time my toes and fingers were beginning to talk to me.
Post ride inspection revealed no leaks or seeps, and it smells new.  ;-T
Needless to say, I’m thrilled.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
« Reply #752 on: February 11, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
Chuck,

I know there is not much I could add to this already epic thread but I drive by this guy every day on my way to work and point it out to anyone who could possibly be interested so I stopped and snapped a few pics on my lunch break.

I was talking with one of the project management folk (the whole project was managed, directed, and funded by Central Command in the building behind) that gave me a little history. He said that they acquired this guy during the development of the RQ-7. They were having so much trouble getting it into service that they almost lost their funding. In a last ditch effort Northrop-Gruman bought the decommed RQ-5 fleet from TRW, performed some basic maintenance, outfitted the laser designation technology they were trying to demo for the military and had them pressed into service in a matter of weeks. Needless to say the old geese (in an almost literal sense) saved the program and the rest is history.

Sorry about the quality of the pics but this one is serial# 001 and still has the engines fitted.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 02:06:17 PM by brlawson »
B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #753 on: February 11, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »
Kool..  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #753 on: February 11, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »

Bill Havins

« Reply #754 on: February 11, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »

Kinda' like a "barn find," only different...  ;)

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #755 on: February 11, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »
  Congratulations on your sojourn into Break-in land ;-T It's quite the feeling of accomplishment when you build a piece of machinery and it does what you expect it to without any suprises. Great Job! Now onto sorting the detail stuff, but hey It's a Guzzi ~;

Paul B  :BEER: :BEER:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

father guzzi obrian

« Reply #756 on: February 11, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
Well done Chuck, that is what we needed to hear.... enjoy dialing it in, sounds like a great bike you have, and the only one in the world... Duh. ;D

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #757 on: February 11, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »
Well done Chuck, that is what we needed to hear.... enjoy dialing it in, sounds like a great bike you have, and the only one in the world... Duh. ;D

Thank you, sir.. I'm a little surprised myself at how "normal" it seems..  ;D I've had new bikes that ran worse...

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #758 on: February 11, 2015, 04:05:35 PM »
 There was an ad for a BMW with a Bosc airplane engine on the OKC CL a couple years back . The seller didn't know his propeller from his crankshaft  :D 

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #759 on: February 11, 2015, 04:34:50 PM »
Congrats Chuck.

It's been an entertaining ride for all us.  I was really looking forward to seeing you ride it.  Sounds like a real success.  Keep it coming. 

;-T
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #760 on: February 11, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »
Congrats Chuck.

It's been an entertaining ride for all us.  I was really looking forward to seeing you ride it.  Sounds like a real success.  Keep it coming. 

;-T

Thanks. I hope is has been half as much fun for you as me.  ;D  I was really looking forward to riding it, too..  I was looking at the forecast, and it looked like today was the only one that was remotely ridable in the foreseeable future. As my old pal Popeye said, "I can't stands it no more."  ;) So, I gave it a shot. It's turned nasty already, the forecast said, "blustery". The forecast is for snow off and on for the next several days, and highs in the teens.
Didn't see any other "bikers" out today..  ;D :BEER:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #761 on: February 11, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
Well, it would have been more fun if I'd been doing it....but, almost as good to see it through your eyes.  ;)

Congratulations on such a wonderful project.  And excellent workmanship as well (as if you didn't know that).

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #762 on: February 11, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
Well, it would have been more fun if I'd been doing it....but, almost as good to see it through your eyes.  ;)

Congratulations on such a wonderful project.  And excellent workmanship as well (as if you didn't know that).

Thanks, but I had a lot of help from people on WG. There's a *lot* of talent here..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #763 on: February 11, 2015, 09:21:48 PM »
Chuck,

I will never have your technical skills, and I sure appreciate the balls required to take your one-of-a-kind Guzzi out on winter roads.  THANK YOU for sharing this adventure with us.  I tip my helmet to you, and can't wait for further dispatches on your Aero-Guzzi adventures.  :bike

Cheers!
Owen
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #764 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45:33 PM »
Ah man!  That is so awesome!  Congratulations on a successful first solo on that bike!!  Thanks for posting up all the work you did.  Hmmm...gonna have to ride the V7 Lario Classic up there and race! 
Cheers!

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #765 on: February 12, 2015, 05:40:40 AM »
Ah man!  That is so awesome!  Congratulations on a successful first solo on that bike!!  Thanks for posting up all the work you did.  Hmmm...gonna have to ride the V7 Lario Classic up there and race! 
Cheers!

That would be more than fun, Mike.. ;-T

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #766 on: February 12, 2015, 07:08:42 AM »
With your elevated status I think a 'seat of the pants' dyno would do.  ;-T

It's still way early, but it's about like the typical small valve big block as far as "perceived" power. I think it would out run my old 1000 SP right now. Rosie doesn't have her panties in a bunch worrying about the fast new girl on the block.. ;D Yet.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #767 on: February 12, 2015, 08:52:26 AM »
Fantastic Chuck! Somehow missed this yesterday when posted. Sounds like yours is similar to mine at take-off. Just go without slipping.  Instant go power and a feeling of bigness. You'll have fun dialing it in but sounds close enough as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #768 on: February 12, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »

Well there you go.

If anyone wants to copy what Chuck did they just have go down to Redstone Arsenal  in Huntsville, AL at night and disassemble that one.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #769 on: February 12, 2015, 09:10:52 AM »

Well there you go.

If anyone wants to copy what Chuck did they just have go down to Redstone Arsenal  in Huntsville, AL at night and disassemble that one.

That's what I was thinking. Two more engines that need rescuing!
Charlie

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #770 on: February 12, 2015, 10:36:07 AM »
I wonder if one of these aero engines could be installed in a current V7C and utilize the EFI, etc...    :pop
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #771 on: February 12, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
I wonder if one of these aero engines could be installed in a current V7C and utilize the EFI, etc...    :pop
Oooohhh. Yeaaaahhh!!!
Now that Chuck showed us how...just gotta find another mill....!!!

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #772 on: February 12, 2015, 11:09:46 AM »

I'm sure it could. I toyed with the idea of using the FI that came with the Aero engine, but there was just no place to package that computer. Not to mention having to make up a new harness..
A V7 should practically be plug and play. I'm not familiar with the system, but if it uses two pickups, I think it might just be plug and play.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
« Reply #773 on: February 12, 2015, 02:52:23 PM »
That's what I was thinking. Two more engines that need rescuing!

Thought about it myself as a drive by on a daily basis.
B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #774 on: February 12, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »
Just arrived. Oooh, the red wires are more of a red/orange.. they should match the gaiters.. ~; ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Bill Havins

« Reply #775 on: February 12, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
I'm sure it could. I toyed with the idea of using the FI that came with the Aero engine, but there was just no place to package that computer. Not to mention having to make up a new harness..
A V7 should practically be plug and play. I'm not familiar with the system, but if it uses two pickups, I think it might just be plug and play.

Chuck,

Tell me more about the ECU from the Aero engine setup.  Is it a P8 kind of a box?  I'm hatching a plot, or is that obvious?  ;D

Thanks!

Bill

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #776 on: February 12, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »
Spent a little time today moving things around and bringing in the next Aero engine project.  ;D Its a 1930 Lambert 90 horsepower radial. This was before pressure lubed rockers, so they have to be greased every 5 hours. The pushrods need to be pulled every 10 hours and some grease put on them. It ought to be a hoot, watching those rockers chattering away, happily spewing grease all over the windscreen and the front of the airplane.. ;D

Big old Bendix Scintilla magnetos..

Oh, there's that small task of restoring an airframe to put it on.. ;)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #777 on: February 12, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »
Chuck,

Tell me more about the ECU from the Aero engine setup.  Is it a P8 kind of a box?  I'm hatching a plot, or is that obvious?  ;D

Thanks!

Bill

Well, I'm out of my league here, but I believe it was PaulDaytona that said it was a P8.. so what's the plot?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #778 on: February 12, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »
"Spent a little time today moving things around and bringing in the next Aero engine project.  Grin Its a 1930 Lambert 90 horsepower radial."

Really looking forward to seeing that in the Lario!!!

Kurt
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #779 on: February 12, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »
"Spent a little time today moving things around and bringing in the next Aero engine project.  Grin Its a 1930 Lambert 90 horsepower radial."

Really looking forward to seeing that in the Lario!!!

Kurt

That aero engine might be a little more of project to put in the Lario.. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here