Author Topic: Aero engine rescue  (Read 398541 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Aero engine rescue
« Reply #960 on: March 27, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »
Thanks, very unusual.  So it sounds like the two plugs in each cylinder get their timing set completely independently.  Did I read that right?
Yep, it's two completely independent ignition systems.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #961 on: March 29, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
That's the plan. Demo rides should be available..assuming I haven't blown it up by then. ;D

Even more reason to make it to the national!    Hopefully, Mike will have his 4V V7 there too!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #962 on: March 29, 2015, 08:11:59 AM »
Even more reason to make it to the national!    Hopefully, Mike will have his 4V V7 there too!

I let my membership lapse last year.  I will gladly join again, and try to attend the National.  Need to find out when and where...and make a plan!

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #963 on: March 29, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
I let my membership lapse last year.  I will gladly join again, and try to attend the National.  Need to find out when and where...and make a plan!

You don't need to be a member. It's in New Hampshire, a fair piece from you.. ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #963 on: March 29, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #964 on: March 29, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »
You don't need to be a member. It's in New Hampshire, a fair piece from you.. ;D

Oh man, it would be a fun ride.  Probably take too long....I kinda need to keep my job...lol

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #965 on: March 29, 2015, 05:04:45 PM »
Oh man, it would be a fun ride.  Probably take too long....I kinda need to keep my job...lol

I vaguely remember what one of those is..  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #966 on: August 11, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
Thought I'd update this thread. I've been having a *really* good time with this engine. A couple of days ago, I was out caning the crap out of the MZ. It's pretty sophisticated for what it is. Big Paioli forks, stiff chassis, Bilstein mono shock, Yamaha racing swingarm, etc. Handles much better than the Lario, but that engine is as boring as a BMW.  :evil: :smiley:
Took the Aero Lario out today to warm it up for it's 3000 mile service, and I was grinning in my helmet before I got out of the driveway. What a hoot! I love operating it, and listening to it run. I'm in lust.. after all, to me a motorcycle is all about the motor.
Want to have some fun with your small block? Just install part number 13 40 46 10-507..
Ok, enough singing it's praises.
When we were at the Nationals in N.H., Dorcia asked about the fifth gear whine. This was the first time she's been on the Lario this year. I told her why it was whining, and she said, "It's louder than last year.." "Really??" "Really. Is it going to lock up??" I assured her it wouldn't, but she still wanted me to fix it.
Ok.
Found a slightly used baby Beaver transmission, and looked at the options.
(1) Just bung it on there. (Pete)  :smiley:
(2) Put the primary gears from the Lario transmission in the new one.
(3) Put the new fifth gear set out of the beaver transmission in the Lario.. I've already done the steel insert in the back of the box. Don't particularly want to do it again.
Decided to take the path of least resistance and just bung it on there.. So..
Drain the oil

Since it is a cheap small block, there's no magnetic drain plug, so I took one of my really powerful magnets and ran it all over the bottom of the drain pan. Didn't really expect to find much..
While I was doing all this, I let the rear drive drain. Sean Fader, small block guru extraordinaire, once told me not to use synthetic lube in the small block rear drive. The seal that's hard to get at tends to leak.. so the rear gets dino with moly.

Well, I'll be darned. I don't like the look of what I found.

Dusty looking steel particles I can live with.. slivers not so much. I've learned to listen when Dorcia tells me something about the sound of machines. She picked up on it when the original 4v engine was starting to wipe a cam lobe. She's OCD, and *very* detail oriented.
So.
Tomorrow, we swap out the transmission unless I decide to play airplane. It's supposed to be nice.  :smiley: I'm loving this retirement gig. Still.
Edit for typo..
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:45:09 PM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #967 on: August 11, 2015, 05:39:22 PM »
I must admit to being a bit paranoid over dust like that and 5th gear whines Chuck.  One of the 5th gears was an absolute mess.  What was worse was that the 1500 odd miles with all that hardening dust took out the shaft as well.  5th has a special split roller bearing in it and that uses the shaft as an inner. It works fine but when it goes belly up the results are not nice.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #968 on: August 11, 2015, 05:46:24 PM »
I must admit to being a bit paranoid over dust like that and 5th gear whines Chuck.  One of the 5th gears was an absolute mess.  What was worse was that the 1500 odd miles with all that hardening dust took out the shaft as well.  5th has a special split roller bearing in it and that uses the shaft as an inner. It works fine but when it goes belly up the results are not nice.

Thanks for that. It'll be uh.. interesting when we open it up.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #969 on: August 11, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »
Were any dyno runs ever done on that rig? I'm curious about what sort of power it makes and where it makes it.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #970 on: August 12, 2015, 07:49:16 AM »
Were any dyno runs ever done on that rig? I'm curious about what sort of power it makes and where it makes it.

Strangely enough.. I have a website up as we speak (in Indy) that does dyno tuning. 3 runs for $250.  (!) I plan to give em a call and see what they'll charge to just do one run. I'll offer them 20 bux.  :evil: No tuning, just run it..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #971 on: August 12, 2015, 08:01:40 AM »
Strangely enough.. I have a website up as we speak (in Indy) that does dyno tuning. 3 runs for $250.  (!) I plan to give em a call and see what they'll charge to just do one run. I'll offer them 20 bux.  :evil: No tuning, just run it..

The local multi-line + Guzzi shop had dyno pulls at their summer event a few years back.  $20.00 for the Ambo, the crowd loved it!
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #972 on: August 12, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »
Thanks for that, JN.. 100 bux plus extra for adding an O2 sensor bung.. hmmm. I guess I just don't care that much. :smiley: but I'll think about it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #973 on: August 12, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »
 Chuckie , the old BMW literature stated re HP , "ADEQUATE" , think that applies here  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #974 on: August 12, 2015, 12:28:01 PM »
Calling around will give you a different price for each call.  I was interested in doing some exhaust system tests a couple years ago, and a guy near Charlotte, NC offered to let me do all the runs I wanted in exchange for a case of beer.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #975 on: August 12, 2015, 12:36:42 PM »
I'm an EAA tech counselor, and I generally advise people to not make changes to plans of an aircraft project. It can, and probably will have unintended consequences farther on. Generally, they are bad.  :smiley:
When I made the chin fairing mounts lower to get the chin fairing to clear the deeper Aero oil pan, that had unintended consequences, too. I can now pull the chin fairing for an oil change without dropping the exhaust. :grin: I'd rather be lucky than good.. Unfortunately the exhaust has to come off to pull the transmission, so it's already gone in this picture.

If you remember, I mad a mod to the transmission breather so I could put in the full liter of oil without it puking out.
made a copper tube that goes above the frame and back

with a catch can in the battery compartment.

Several thousand miles later, it's completely dry, so maybe that's a case of overkill. Works, though.
I don't remember documenting the relay to the new Dyna coils. The power to the coils comes from the kill switch. Those are really wimpy little wires and switches in the switchgear. Probably all old small block guys should consider doing this, too. I wrapped it in foam to isolate it from vibration. Don't know if that is necessary, but it works, too. It's never missed a beat.

Unfortunately, the Aero engine oil pan isn't flat on the bottom like the Lario, so we'll see how well it will sit on the box with a couple of shims under it. To this point, it's taken an hour and a half, and all that remains to do is unhook the shocks, pull the bolts that hold the engine and transmission to the frame and wheelbarrow everything away on the front wheel.
Smallblocks are easy..

It's entirely too nice a day to be cooped up in the shop, though. It'll have to wait until later.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #976 on: August 12, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »
Calling around will give you a different price for each call.  I was interested in doing some exhaust system tests a couple years ago, and a guy near Charlotte, NC offered to let me do all the runs I wanted in exchange for a case of beer.

That's more my price.. :smiley: :boozing:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #977 on: August 12, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »

If you remember, I mad a mod to the transmission breather so I could put in the full liter of oil without it puking out.
made a copper tube that goes above the frame and back

with a catch can in the battery compartment.

Several thousand miles later, it's completely dry, so maybe that's a case of overkill. Works, though.

My catch can hasn't seen a drop either Chuck... I was thinking I'll just pull the can, put a loop in the hose and snip it a little shorter.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #978 on: August 13, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
Ok, where were we? Oh, yeah. Now that it's a bagger  :rolleyes: the Lario is a little more difficult to take apart. Had to get Dorcia to hold the front end while I slid the board between the 2x4s. Still pretty easy, though. Another hour.

The rest is pretty self explanatory..
Pull the swing arm pins and roll the swing arm assembly away

Pull the transmission

Just a little finesse required to slide the beaver trans on..

Bolt it to the engine and frame.. and in 15 minutes the trans is swapped out.
The only tricky part is fitting the swing arm back up.. don't forget the spline goo.. roll it up to where the splines are just ready to enter, pick up the wheel so the spline doesn't turn, and slide it home. You know the feeling.. :laugh:
Remember the washer on the Dis side pin (Right) that's what centers the swing arm. Thanks, Morizzi, RIP  :sad: It's kind of a fiddly job. What I do is barely start the S side pin, somehow manage to put the washer on the D pin  :wink: and feel it into the bearing by gently wiggling the swing arm.
Snug the pins down, put the big lock nuts on, and you're done.

Ya gotta love the interchangeability of Guzzi. I now have a Lario with an Aero engine and a Beaver transmission.  :cheesy:
Like I said, small blocks..no special tools required.. like Earth Girls.. are easy.  :smiley::thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #979 on: August 13, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »

That is one sweet unicycle you've got there. 
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #980 on: August 13, 2015, 04:58:27 PM »
earth girl Guzzi
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #981 on: August 13, 2015, 05:06:28 PM »
earth girl Guzzi

Actually, I like that..  :cheesy: Motorcycles don't tell me their name..only Rosie.  That might just stick.  :wink:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #982 on: August 13, 2015, 05:12:35 PM »
That bike is really a Laerio or Laero. Nice wheelbarrow. Did that recently. Easy as you said
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #983 on: August 13, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »
Same primary gearing on the AeroLario and baby Breva? Smallblocks *do* come apart easily, takes a bit longer to get them back together.
cr
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #984 on: August 13, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »
Same primary gearing on the AeroLario and baby Breva? Smallblocks *do* come apart easily, takes a bit longer to get them back together.
cr

I wouldn't think so, but I don't know. Right now, it's been running 3600 at 60. We'll see whether I need to change out primary gears.. or not.
Oh, it *always* takes longer to put something back together.. :)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #985 on: August 13, 2015, 07:21:15 PM »
I wouldn't think so, but I don't know. Right now, it's been running 3600 at 60. We'll see whether I need to change out primary gears.. or not.
Oh, it *always* takes longer to put something back together.. :)
No... in my estimation, the gearing will be much more similar to a V65 NOT the Lario.  The Lario is geared pretty high. I've owned the B750, Lario, and have the V65 primary in my super Lario. With that engine (torquey) and the highway running you do, you might rather have the Lario primary. You'll find out. Maybe more like 4000 RPM at 60.  More fun out of the gate. 
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #986 on: August 14, 2015, 04:59:11 AM »
My Breva says 4000rpm at 60mph.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #987 on: August 14, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »
So, the 750 Breva (Beaver) transmission has a shorter gearing that allows for more engine revs? Is this true for all gears or just high gear?

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #988 on: August 14, 2015, 07:22:49 AM »
So, the 750 Breva (Beaver) transmission has a shorter gearing that allows for more engine revs? Is this true for all gears or just high gear?

I'm certainly no expert, but I would think changing the primary gears would affect all gears.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #989 on: August 14, 2015, 08:52:25 AM »
Yes, all gears since it's the primary. I'm at 4200 RPM @60 with the 16" rims and smaller dia tires on the Lario w/the V65 primary.
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here