Author Topic: V7 Sport build the sequal SOLD  (Read 51849 times)

canuck750

Re: V7 Sport build the sequal
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
I would expect the back.

Phil

Agreed, I flipped the front fender around, stamp to the back, it looks better now

This lock mechanism was causing grief, had to shim the top clamp, turn down the center nut a wee bit to center the lock plate in the lock body

It flys

Offline Tazturtle

• Moto Guzzi - La moto la piu bella del mondo
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 10:20:19 PM »
Beautiful workmanship and attention to detail as always. Thanks for sharing!

Kurt
2012 1200 Sport 8V Corsa SE
2011 V7 Racer #749 (RIP)

"Guzzi is about the engine. Guzzi's about torque. Guzzi's about enjoyment in the riding experience." Miguel Galuzzi

"The Guzzi 750 is what BMW airheads used to be.  Simple, direct machines for riders who enjoy the Zen of engines" Sign216

canuck750

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2014, 11:17:38 PM »
Progress ground to a halt while waiting for a new front axle to arrive, thanks Curtis.

I found a new Record Cross rim in Germany, cleaned and re-spoked the hub, cleaned the brake plates, new shoes, bearings and seals, re-plated the brake hardware and a new tire.

I fitted a new bearing spacer I got from TLM but the inner diameter is too small for the new axle?? The axle fits the front brake plates perfectly, the wrong spacer?

My small old Myford lathe doesn't get used much but when I need it it's priceless

Just a few thousands off the inside

all buttoned up

Onto the back wheel, I was missing a rear brake plate, the Eldorado front plate is the same as the V7 Sport rear, just need to tap a stud into the bottom of the flange to accept the rear brake stay

It's in pretty good shape but the brake control parts need re-plating

It cleaned up well, new stainless washers, nuts and bolts, the shoes have a lot of life left

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:20:22 PM by canuck750 »

canuck750

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »
When I get the wheels back on a bike I feel like I have reached a milestone, it looks like a bike now, almost.

Getting the rear brake plate fitted was a chore. I always believed the Eldorado front brake plate was identical to the V7 Sport rear brake plate (other than the 10mm stud on the leading edge of the large flange that the Sport brake torque arm attaches to. Even Curtis thought they were the same, well.... I can now confirm they are not. So first I machined in a 10mm stud to match the Sport plate. The inside of the brake plate that buts up to the wheel bearing bushings is about 8mm taller, it means the brake plate sticks out (8mm) from the wheel. So after a spell on the milling machine, shimming the rear drive axle sleeve and the rear wheel bearing spacers its all good ::) A couple evenings work mind you but the wheel and brake plate look bang on, the wheel spins effortlessly.

If your fitting new coils here's a tip, FIRST attach the spark plug leads and then install the coils, forgot that from the first Sport I built.

Installed the tool boxes because I just needed to feel I was getting close.

Only a hundred jobs left, get the seat pan powder coated, recover the seat, polish the rear fender, install the rest of the lights, finish the wiring, install the cables, machine up a copy of the front brake cable splitter, etc............

I got my guide back in the garage to refer to at each puzzling twist in the build

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 10:25:25 PM »
Beautiful!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 10:30:32 PM »
The grey colour frame makes it looks bigger than the black one  ;D
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

canuck750

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »
Thanks Shaun,

Hi Phang, the colour is Camaro Silver (powder coated) I was hoping it would be a little metallic but no such luck, and I was not about to strip it all off and re-coat it. I think it will look very sharp when its all finished. I always loved the silver framed Laverda SFC and Jotta bikes, I think this will really transform the look of the Sport, may just keep this one and sell the red one!

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 03:48:06 AM »
You're getting on at quite a pace. Mine is still on the bench with no progress since I had my accident and broke my arm at the begginning of September.

1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 03:52:07 AM »
You're getting on at quite a pace. Mine is still on the bench with no progress since I had my accident and broke my arm at the begginning of September.

Ah... the frame is more "silvery"

Is it powder coated as well?
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 06:43:59 AM »
Beautiful job
Can you please explain this picture
I don't recall seeing these inserts when I pulled mine apart

Also what steps do you take in getting the alloy parts to look so pristine

Thanks for the great pictorial

Roy
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:01:33 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »
Ah... the frame is more "silvery"

Is it powder coated as well?
Yes mine is powder coated. It's the silver they finish alloy wheels in.
1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

canuck750

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2014, 09:08:47 AM »
Beautiful job
Can you please explain this picture
I don't recall seeing these inserts when I pulled mine apart

Also what steps do you take in getting the alloy parts to look so pristine
Thanks for the great pictorial

Roy

Hi Roy,

the tubes in the main bearings connect to the oil passages in the block casting, you must have them to maintain oil pressure. They pop out of the bearings with minimal force. You can get new ones from MG Cycle or Harpers.

I clean my castings with aluminum brightener I get from NAPA, very toxic, use caution, you must wear a full face respirator, rubber gloves and use a very high pressure car wash to blast the oxidation off once the acid lifts it from the cast surface. I have been using the NAPA product for many years, amazing stuff. I go to a truck was with very high pressure, take a tub that I mix the acid 50/50, I use a mist spray bottle to cover the castings, wait a minute while it foams up white and then hit it with the pressure washer, repeat until the pats is clean, sometimes this can take 6 ~ 10 coatings and blasts of water. I have even cleaned a motor in situ, just don't get the acid on the brake calipers or black plastic bits, it discolours black stuff!

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »
I deleted my double post, sorry about that, my Mac has a mind of it's own.
Thanks for the tube explanation, I must have them in one of the boxes, I'm pretty sure my 72 had never been apart before me, or could it be they were added to later models, I will look at the bearings to see if they are drilled for them.

Now I remember, you told me once before about the Aluminium brightener, I will pay a visit to NAPA
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
I deleted my double post, sorry about that, my Mac has a mind of it's own.
Thanks for the tube explanation, I must have them in one of the boxes, I'm pretty sure my 72 had never been apart before me, or could it be they were added to later models, I will look at the bearings to see if they are drilled for them.

Now I remember, you told me once before about the Aluminium brightener, I will pay a visit to NAPA

All Guzzi big-block main bearings (V700 on) have those dowels and holes for them (at least up until the Nuovo 8v I guess?). The dowels serve another purpose - keeps the main bearing insert from moving around inside of the flange. Without them it's possible for the bearing insert to rotate, blocking the oil holes and resulting in major damage. Many times you can't even tell that they are in the bearing until you look carefully or use a magnet to check.
Charlie

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »

Where did you get the brass looking transmission oil filler bolt?  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:30:01 AM by Travman »
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 11:38:04 AM »

Where did you get the brass looking transmission oil filler bolt?  

Probably the original, minus the chrome plating.
Charlie

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
Probably the original, minus the chrome plating.
Really. I didn't know you could take the chrome layer off like that.

I sandblasted a S&S chrome air filter cover before and it had a nice satin silver look, but I never got down to a brass-looking layer.
Travis King

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2014, 12:20:53 PM »
Really. I didn't know you could take the chrome layer off like that.

I sandblasted a S&S chrome air filter cover before and it had a nice satin silver look, but I never got down to a brass-looking layer.

The chrome is usually flaking off the Guzzi fill/drain plugs and dipstick as used on the Eldo and V7 Sport. Probably doesn't take much effort to remove the rest. Solid brass underneath. Most of the earlier Loop plugs were brass too, but zinc plated instead of chrome.

By sandblasting the S&S filter cover, you were probably down to the nickel under the chrome or perhaps the base metal (steel or aluminum?). There wouldn't have been a brass layer, but possibly a copper layer if it was "show chromed".
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »
The chrome is usually flaking off the Guzzi fill/drain plugs and dipstick as used on the Eldo and V7 Sport. Probably doesn't take much effort to remove the rest. Solid brass underneath. Most of the earlier Loop plugs were brass too, but zinc plated instead of chrome.

By sandblasting the S&S filter cover, you were probably down to the nickel under the chrome or perhaps the base metal (steel or aluminum?). There wouldn't have been a brass layer, but possibly a copper layer if it was "show chromed".

Your bang on Charley, the plug was an old beater from my Eldorado, I bead blasted it and then polished it up to shine. I kinda prefer the big brass look but it probably should go back on my Eldo ;)

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »
Your bang on Charley, the plug was an old beater from my Eldorado, I bead blasted it and then polished it up to shine. I kinda prefer the big brass look but it probably should go back on my Eldo ;)
I just checked the plugs on my Ambo and they don't have any flaking chrome. So I don't have an excuse to take it down to the brass and I don't want to risk messing with a perfectly good chrome plug.

The brass does look classy though.
Travis King

canuck750

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
Cables, Hoses and Wires, there are a lot of them on the Sport. Two throttle, two front brake, 1 rear brake, two instruments, the clutch.

New cables hung up, oiled and left to drip oil right through to the bottom of the cable, when I see a drip on a piece of cardboard on the ground I know the cable is fully lubed.

Throttle, cleaned and lubed

The throttle had some slack, the accelerator pump springs were toast, so I installed new ones to get that positive seat of the needle, the throttle is now tight.

Lots of small parts make up the front dual brake cable pulls, some are NOS and a few were made up on my lathe from stainless rod

The front fender support I had did not have the early type chrome ring brake cable guides, MG Cycle has repro rubber ones, drilled holes in the front fender, carefully and slowly..

The crank case breather hose needs a bushing to mate to the zinc plated bracket mounted to the frame, I turned one from aluminum

Just a few more wires to hook up and then to fit the fuse box, under seat light, etc..

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:59:42 PM by canuck750 »

canuck750

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »
Getting close to the end of this build, I am aiming for having it ready for the 2nd week in January to place in the International Motorcycle Show.

Gregory Bender supplied all the wiring, fantastic kits!

Wiring 90% done, got the seat back from the upholster today, just need to get the fuse box sorted, finish the last of the wiring, some small chrome plating parts to come back from the plating shop.

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »
Good luck, I'm sure she'll show well. amazing work.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
Damn Jim, I'll say it again...NICE work.   Better than new.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

canuck750

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
Damn Jim, I'll say it again...NICE work.   Better than new.

Thanks Cam ;)

I think I should be able to find a good home for it. I want to move this V7 Sport on in the new year and get on to my 750S clone project and start to clean up the 750S3 I bought in the fall.
I can't ever say I get bored.

Offline markyboy

• New Egg
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2014, 02:49:07 PM »
Looking good Jim. I like the color combination grey/black.

Soon i am hooping to start with my TR project ;-)

Greets
Mark

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
Thanks Cam ;)

I think I should be able to find a good home for it. I want to move this V7 Sport on in the new year and get on to my 750S clone project and start to clean up the 750S3 I bought in the fall.
I can't ever say I get bored.

Someone will get a nice bike, and I hope you'll get some big money.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

MtnRider

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »
Your restoration is amazing and makes me feel as if I will never get mine done.  There was so much you made and sourced ugh where do I start!  Can I come visit and drop off my parts to you  :bow

Sam

canuck750

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2014, 03:33:31 PM »
Thanks Sam,

Restoring an old klunker is completed one part at a time ;D

There are so many great people willing to help on this web site, no matter the obstacle someone will have an answer the missing part or the technical know how to keep you going.

The first Sport I built last year took twice as long and was twice as difficult, but the help from good people like Rolf in Norway, Joe in Chicago, Charlie in Virginia, Mark at Moto Guzzi Classics, Gord and Rick at MG Cycle and of course Curtis Harper, anything can be brought back to life!

canuck750

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2014, 09:43:49 PM »
One part that I could not find is the grey base CEV fuse box. There are black base ones on Ebay, these are new and were probably used on a Moto Morini 3 1/2 or a Benelli 650 Tornado. Probem with the black base is that it only has three fuse slots, the rest of the case is empty.

Grey base one next to the black base.

I drilled out the rivets holding the clear back cover

Then I drilled out the rivets holding all of the terminals and made copies of the L shaped brass plates that support the fuses, I found plated brass ta a hobby shop, drilled the ends and stamped a recess for the fuse end

I needed 7 pairs

I riveted it all back together

It works pretty good, and it's about as close to stock as possible

These stock fuse boxes with their European style fuses are sub-standard in my opinion, I much prefer modern blade fuses. I turfed the old fuse panel in my Eldorado and installed a modern compact blade fuse box next to the battery on my Eldorado. If I were keeping this bike I would do the same and keep the original style fuse box for safe keeping if I ever decided to sell it.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here