Author Topic: V7 Sport build the sequal SOLD  (Read 51863 times)

MtnRider

Re: V7 Sport build the sequal
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2014, 11:25:48 AM »
Thanks Sam,

Restoring an old klunker is completed one part at a time ;D

There are so many great people willing to help on this web site, no matter the obstacle someone will have an answer the missing part or the technical know how to keep you going.

The first Sport I built last year took twice as long and was twice as difficult, but the help from good people like Rolf in Norway, Joe in Chicago, Charlie in Virginia, Mark at Moto Guzzi Classics, Gord and Rick at MG Cycle and of course Curtis Harper, anything can be brought back to life!

I will be asking and hope I don't drive you all crazy.  I just had the dents taken out of the tank by Evan Wilcox http://www.wilcoxmetal.com/ who is an artist!  Need to figure out how to clean and polish the hubs then they will get laced.  Yes one step at a time.

canuck750

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »
Need to figure out how to clean and polish the hubs then they will get laced.  Yes one step at a time.

Easy,

Mark Ethridge at Moto Guzzi Classics told me about this method a couple years ago, no risk of any glass beads fouling a part.

Head own to your local NAPA store and get their Aluminum Brightener. Wear a full face mask and rubber gloves, dilute the chemical 50/50 with tap water and fill a mister bottle. You will need a high pressure car washer ( the local coin op late at night works great :D), make sure the aluminum parts are clean (get rid of grease, oil etc. with paint thinner or your favorite degreaser) Wearing your mask and gloves mist the part with the solution, get it real wet, wait a minute while it foams up with a white suds, then hit it with the high pressure wash, then keep repeating until the castings looks like new. It's that easy. If you don't hit the part with high pressure the oxidation lifted by the cleaner will remain on the part and you will have a dull grey crappy looking piece.

canuck750

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2014, 07:14:48 PM »
With the wiring almost done (at least everything that sits under the gas tank) it was time to set the tank on.

This is a reproduction steel tank from MG Cycle, it fits just like it should. New manual petcock on one side/

The Black and Camaro Silver frame completely change the look of the bike.

Now if I could just find that reproduction decal for the electro-valve???

The only 'flaw' in the paint - my painter placed the Ustao Shell Olio decal too low, the seat covers it :(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:16:39 PM by canuck750 »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »

Now if I could just find that reproduction decal for the electro-valve???

How many do you want? :) My friend John Appleby printed off a sheet of them for me.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »

canuck750

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »

The decal looks great Charlie, thanks for your generosity :+1

Cheers

Jim

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2014, 03:45:33 AM »

These stock fuse boxes with their European style fuses are sub-standard in my opinion, I much prefer modern blade fuses. I turfed the old fuse panel in my Eldorado and installed a modern compact blade fuse box next to the battery on my Eldorado. If I were keeping this bike I would do the same and keep the original style fuse box for safe keeping if I ever decided to sell it.

Ed Walton, may he rest in peace, before he passed away gave me lots of good advice on restoring my loop. He said to keep the tension on these fuses by stretching an "O" ring over the two brass clips.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:49:28 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »
Ed Walton, may he rest in peace, before he passed away gave me lots of good advice on restoring my loop. He said to keep the tension on these fuses by stretching an "O" ring over the two brass clips.

You can also use elastic bands meant for orthodontic braces.
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2015, 07:54:51 PM »
I finally sorted all of the wiring / electrical out (I think). Greg Benders wiring kits are fantastic but Guzzi's use of coloured wires, green joining black, orange joining red etc.. The headlight and it's wiring harness is 'unique' to be kind to the factory.

The CEV headlight has 4 blades at the back in a plastic enclosure, the headlight switch harness connects here, yellow, green, green-black and black. Inside the headlight the wires are blue, red and white, two blue wires one to the headlight plug ground and a pig tale to the head light shell. Why bother matching wire colours from harness to device?? :wife:

The wiring diagram is clear showing the headlight grounded (to the frame through the brackets). The wires that connect the 5 blade junction show black wires joining here from the fuse box (coloured black but a two hot wire). The black wire from the headlight switch has a female blade. Now you would think all three black wires connect to the 5 blade junction. But that results in a ground connect to two hot wires.  :beat_horse

This hiccup took me a week to sort out. The one black from the headlight wire harness is a ground. The other two female blade wires at the junction are hot wires, go figure. If you connect the three together an amazing thing happens, the headlight lights dimly and the signal lights all light up and the fuse does not blow. Oh Luigi, you genius.  ???

The signal lights are being illuminated by the ground of the signal lights to the frame and that one black lead sending power through the frame. Don't know if this is unique to how the Aprillia signals lights are built or not.

One other small item, if you want the headlights to only function when you turn the key move the green wire from the second fuse position on the left (sitting on bike) to any other position to the right. The 1st and second fuse positions are joined in the back so both are always hot.

I am posting some pictures of the underneath and less obvious areas in case they may help others who need reference to what goes where,

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2015, 07:22:30 AM »
Wonderful Jim.  I think I'd rather have one of yours than new.  Good luck with the show.

Nick

PS The switch continues to function perfectly. ;-T

canuck750

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2015, 05:10:58 PM »
Thanks Nick!

Our local section of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group (NORAL) has been given a space to show 16 bikes this year at the International Bike Show, down from last year when I showed my Red V7 Sport so I am very grateful to our group organizer for accepting the Black Guzzi this year. Our local chapter of vintage enthusiasts have a very broad range of excellent bikes to choose from each year, you would love the Panther, Empire Star, and Vincent that were shown at an outing this summer.

Cheers
Jim

canuck750

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2015, 06:55:07 PM »
The 2015 International Bike Show has come and gone. My 74 V7 Sport was on display in our Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group Display.

The Sport gathered a lot of attention....

These lovely young ladies took a particular interest in it ;D

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2015, 08:14:01 PM »
Can I buy that seat seperately?  Could always use a spare...
 ;D
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2015, 08:35:04 PM »
This is a great resource.. nice work.  ;-T
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

canuck750

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2015, 09:19:10 AM »
Can I buy that seat seperately?  Could always use a spare...
 ;D

Of Course I will sell the seat separately, asking $14,000.00 (will throw in the bike with it ;D)

Cheers
Jim

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »
Of Course I will sell the seat separately, asking $14,000.00 (will throw in the bike with it ;D)

Cheers
Jim

;-T
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

canuck750

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »
I was sent another picture of the bike from a fellow exhibitor,

I think this shot highlights the svelte rear end of the machine

canuck750

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
Yes the V7 Sport is for sale, pm me for specifics

Thanks

Jim

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2015, 02:37:04 PM »
Does Katie come with it?   ;D

Beautiful work, Jim (as always).  Anyone would be proud to make this bike part of their stable.

Cheers,
Shaun

'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

canuck750

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
Does Katie come with it?   ;D

Beautiful work, Jim (as always).  Anyone would be proud to make this bike part of their stable.

Cheers,
Shaun

If you think old Guzzi's take some maintenance I would hate to think what a young 'Katie' would take to keep purring. In my case I am too old to know what to do with such a pretty young thing, guess that's why I prefer my beauties to be 40 or over. :BEER:

Cheers ;D

Jim

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »
If you think old Guzzi's take some maintenance I would hate to think what a young 'Katie' would take to keep purring. In my case I am too old to know what to do with such a pretty young thing, guess that's why I prefer my beauties to be 40 or over. :BEER:

Cheers ;D

Jim

Yeah, I get you.  The way I look at it, though, is that I'm too old for a 916, as well, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming about enjoying some curves on one!   :BEER:

Cheers,
Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »

Cheers
Jim

If this is your asking price for the seat with a free bike thrown in,  it's worth every penny.  Better than new, and restored right before our eyes.  Good luck with the sale!
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

canuck750

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2015, 05:56:22 PM »
We have been having unseasonably warm weather, +7 C and its sunny so I opened up the garage door, poured some fresh premium fuel into the tank, flipped open the chokes and crossed my fingers. 1st attempt at starting the V7 Sport, the electronic petcock snapped open, fuel filled the bowls, a couple cranks and it roared into life ;D ;D ;D

The Sport warmed up quickly and I was able to flip the chokes down in about 30 seconds. Adjusted the idles and it purred real sweetly. After a few minutes the break in oil burned off and it just sounds great. Tomorrow I will re-torque the heads, check the valve clearance and replace the 1st run oil.

It is so satisfying (and a heck of a relief) when a newly rebuilt engine starts for the 1st time.

Cheers
Jim

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »
We have been having unseasonably warm weather, +7 C and its sunny so I opened up the garage door, poured some fresh premium fuel into the tank, flipped open the chokes and crossed my fingers. 1st attempt at starting the V7 Sport, the electronic petcock snapped open, fuel filled the bowls, a couple cranks and it roared into life ;D ;D ;D

The Sport warmed up quickly and I was able to flip the chokes down in about 30 seconds. Adjusted the idles and it purred real sweetly. After a few minutes the break in oil burned off and it just sounds great. Tomorrow I will re-torque the heads, check the valve clearance and replace the 1st run oil.

It is so satisfying (and a heck of a relief) when a newly rebuilt engine starts for the 1st time.

Cheers
Jim

There's nothing like it.  ;-T Well, to a gear head, anyway..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2015, 07:37:19 PM »
Congratulations, Jim.  Well done!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2015, 06:18:17 AM »
Congratulations, Jim.  Well done!

Shaun

:+1 :bow :bow

Nick

Offline 750S3

• New Egg
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
Jim, is the S3 next ? Not that I care or anything ....
Luca
Puch125
Honda250
Kawasaki750
Ducati 900GTS
Moto Guzzi 750S3
Moto Guzzi Griso 8VSE Tenni

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »
Luca

Or is it the T/S?

Enquiring minds...

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

canuck750

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »
Luca

I am starting to favor going through the S3 and then doing the 750S clone, I have the 850T stripped down ready to build but I think I want to get the S3 on the road where it belongs. I have sourced a pair of original Silentium shark gill mufflers that need to be copper plated to get the dings out of them then ceramic coated. The mono post seat with a metal pan was reproduced last year so I grabbed one for the S3. I am rebuilding the brake calipers and bought a pair of FAC fork dampers, progressive springs and a pair of new fork tubes. I am going to see if I can get the rotors turned, if not then new ones will go on. I will send the original cylinders off to get Nikasil plated, bought a pair of NOS pistons and rings and have all got a new set of valves, springs and guides. I am going to get all of the chrome pieces replated and will powder coat the small parts but I think I will preserve the frame paint as is. The tank and side covers will get polished up but not repainted. I have bought all new rubber pieces, cables, hoses and wire harness.  

Stay tuned....

Cheers

Jim
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:26:33 PM by canuck750 »

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2015, 07:28:51 PM »
Nice!  Looking forward to this one!!
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2015, 05:39:54 AM »
Nice!  Looking forward to this one!!

Me, too..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here