Author Topic: Guzzi trike project  (Read 7289 times)

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
Guzzi trike project
« on: May 20, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »
Trike is making good progress. I will have pictures soon. I was planning on using a mono shock. I made a test stand and mounted the assy.horizontally and the shock does not feel like it is damping on the return stroke. I am thinking that the internals are different on a horizontal shock. I have searched the net and found no answer.Help!

Online NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
Re: Guzzi trike project
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
Rad!  Pictures and details please!!!!   I must say I think this belongs in the "bike build" thread, you'll get more views and advice. Nate

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:50:28 AM »
There are horizontal shocks and vertical ones.  They work best in their intended orientations.  Some vertical shocks don't want to be upside down.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »
There are horizontal shocks and vertical ones.  They work best in their intended orientations.  Some vertical shocks don't want to be upside down.
I get that, but I cannot find horizontal ones to buy.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »
Rad!  Pictures and details please!!!!   I must say I think this belongs in the "bike build" thread, you'll get more views and advice. Nate
Where is the "bike build thread'?

Online NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »
Where is the "bike build thread'?
If you go to the top of this page, under "General Category" You'll get more options for forums.  Lotsa gear heads on the Bike Build Thread.   Have you thought a Ducati style mono shock?

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 02:30:23 PM »
I get that, but I cannot find horizontal ones to buy.

You asked about design differences, not where to buy.  One old gas station trick was to remove the shock from the family car, hold it horizontal, work the piston and ayy "see -- this shock has no damping." and then sell  set of shocks that would have also played like a pennywhistle horizontal.

My original design called for a pair of standard motorcycle monoshocks set sideways on top of the upper wishbones, and vertical airbags for load adjustment.  I had planned to grab a pair of Olins or something similar.  Then the design went another direction.  But that's where I'd look for horizontal shocks -- standard sportbike stuff.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »
Well I finally went with a standard shock and am mounting it at either 45 0r 60 degrees.This is the last major component. It is definately different.The trouble with the sport bike shocks were they were expensive and you had to know what bike you were buying for. i bought two quality looking  ones for $54 delivered. Remember this IS a Guzzi. :smiley:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
 :thumb:

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »

pic upload edit

Well ,I finally got some pictures. The grey thing sitting in the riders seat is a 700 pound cast iron thickness planer.The whole weight is not on the bike.I wanted to see if my calculations were correct. I shure hope it handles NOT like a GYRO. :wink:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:11:33 PM by gearman »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 06:56:24 PM »
That's gonna take some explaining.

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »
Hi Gearman,

Looks like a very interesting project, but I think you have to fill us a little bit more in on what the idea with the trike is. Is isn't meant as a offensive comment, but I would like some more details :grin:

From what I can gather from the pictures you're building a leaning trike with convert drivetrain doing away with the gearbox and just using the torque converter.

The design is certainly very original so it could be fun to get to know some of your design ideas and thoughts throughout the building process. Rodekyll's Trike is certainly also very cool, but this is an entirely different take on building a trike. Don't get down because we don't see the idea at first. Fill us in and enlighten us :grin:  :thumb:

I don't know nothing about building trikes but am always keen on learning new things.

Keep the post and pictures :grin: Just because your project isn't conventional doesn't mean that it isn't worth showing off!

Hope you have gained some ground on the project!

-Ulrik
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:07:31 AM by Rick4003 »
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 01:51:26 PM »
Yeah, he's got something different going on.  My trike has IRS, doesn't lean, skinny wheels, reverse, 20% bigger engine, and has the engine in the expected location.  Gearman is using some of my concepts, but he's taking it a whole 'nother direction.  That's why we buy Converts -- they are natural donors for other projects.

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
I put pictures and ride report on the general board. Thanks all.

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 03:08:18 AM »
Hi gearman,

Could you post a link to where you posted pictures and ride report. I can't seem to find the thread.

-Ulrik
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline gearman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 06:20:01 AM »
It is under Convert brake bleeding problems.I don't like the boards separation of topics for this very reason.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here