Author Topic: 1971 Ambassador .... suggestions ?  (Read 7205 times)

Offline motormike131

• New Egg
    • wildguzzi
1971 Ambassador .... suggestions ?
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »

Good Day... got this from a estate sale a few weeks ago. Claimed to be a one owner, 38,000. $1600.oo.
It came with the solo seat and a home made passenger pad that also lifted up to become a backrest for the rider. I sourced a proper saddle quickly knowing the other half would not be pleased with a .. pad.
   We did a 5 day weekend ride..back roads, freeway. Always fired straight away..no engine issues. I'm still learning the proper shift in relation to engine speed. Same issue with my Cushman...let the engine speed slow down.. then shift. Not a bike I'd take to the Tail of the Dragon..it runs into real estate quickly on the left side.
  So far I'm pleased with the bike and entertaining the idea of a proper paint job. The " barf blue " isn't working for me. These came in black, white and red. Here locally there are a couple of very nice black ones.. I'm not a fan of white.. Red..?
On this section there's a red one posted. Very nice. I'm lean'n towards red, with match'd red on the bags, fared, pin stripes, with white walls. I discovered it sat low.. then found a pair of " c " clamps on the lower section of shock springs, held in pace with a hose clamp..?.. I pop'd the clamps off and now the bike sits better.
   Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:20:55 PM by motormike131 »
1929 Motobecane, 70' Xs650, 75' Xs650 Police, 50' Alycon (fire) 51' & 52' Terrot (police) 52' Peugeot (M/police), 65 Tri 650, 68' Cb450P (police).70' 450 Ducati, 75' Condor, 71' Ambassador, 62' Cushman, 82' Cx500P trike (police) 06 Helix, 10' Enfield w/sidecar, 42' Harley flattie, 1 wife

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
Re: 1971 Ambassador .... suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:26:18 PM »
Motorbike.......her e the house clamps somehow binding the bags?  I'm sure someone with more knowledge of these bags will chime in.
I did mine in red and white.......
Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline motormike131

• New Egg
    • wildguzzi
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
  The " C " clamps didn't contact the bags. I'm told these are Wixton (sp?) bags and fare'n..  period correct for this year. Last weekend between the freeway and Ma Natures heavy downpour (only 7 miles) the fare'n was welcomed.
   Others locally have chimed in... I should drop the old generator.. get a Alternator kit from Scrambler Cycle..and other opinions... get rid of the bags.. keeps the bags.. don't paint...  :smiley:
1929 Motobecane, 70' Xs650, 75' Xs650 Police, 50' Alycon (fire) 51' & 52' Terrot (police) 52' Peugeot (M/police), 65 Tri 650, 68' Cb450P (police).70' 450 Ducati, 75' Condor, 71' Ambassador, 62' Cushman, 82' Cx500P trike (police) 06 Helix, 10' Enfield w/sidecar, 42' Harley flattie, 1 wife

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »
Probably before I went much farther with this bike I would want to check the cylinders for chrome bores. There is a lot of information on this board. Search "chrome bores" to get started.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »

Offline motormike131

• New Egg
    • wildguzzi
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 05:51:03 AM »
      Still crunch'n $$$ for a mild restoration.... won't pull the engine .. runs well... headers need replacement... $$$.... paint.. (red-white) $$$$... seat cover.. $$$.... white wall tires... $$$....usual misc $$$....  so based on what these are hammer'n for on ebay ...  with the purchase price, $1600.. and all of the above $$$$.. I should break even .. value Vs expense (insert laugh track here).
     Based on our two up 600 mile labor day weekend.. mixed freeway and country roads.. it's a capable machine and worth the time and $$$$.   

Offline Diploman

• "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »
Seriously, what bmc said above is right on target.  Before you start making aesthetic upgrades, you should ascertain whether the bike is mechanically sound.  It may be running well now, but keep in mind that your bike was built before Guzzi began using the Nikasil/Nigusil (nickel/silicon carbide) cylinder plating in the late 70's.  Your bike came with OEM chrome plated cylinder linings.  Over time, these inevitably begin to flake off and send chrome particles/flakes/clumps into the engine oil, where they clog oil passages, lodge in plain bearings, score pistons and do all manner of mischief that essentially wrecks an engine.  Many vintage loopframes like yours have been converted to modern Nigusil-plated Gilardoni cylinder-piston kits, which are readily available.

It would be prudent to take off one, or better, both cylinder heads, rotate the pistons to bottom dead center and examine the bores.  If they are smooth and flawless, the Gilardoni conversion will likely have been done.  You are good to go. If you see any flaking or irregularities, stop everything and change the cylinders ASAP before you get a chrome-induced engine seizure.
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 09:40:28 PM »
Seriously, what bmc said above is right on target.  Before you start making aesthetic upgrades, you should ascertain whether the bike is mechanically sound.  It may be running well now, but keep in mind that your bike was built before Guzzi began using the Nikasil/Nigusil (nickel/silicon carbide) cylinder plating in the late 70's.  Your bike came with OEM chrome plated cylinder linings.  Over time, these inevitably begin to flake off and send chrome particles/flakes/clumps into the engine oil, where they clog oil passages, lodge in plain bearings, score pistons and do all manner of mischief that essentially wrecks an engine.  Many vintage loopframes like yours have been converted to modern Nigusil-plated Gilardoni cylinder-piston kits, which are readily available.

It would be prudent to take off one, or better, both cylinder heads, rotate the pistons to bottom dead center and examine the bores.  If they are smooth and flawless, the Gilardoni conversion will likely have been done.  You are good to go. If you see any flaking or irregularities, stop everything and change the cylinders ASAP before you get a chrome-induced engine seizure.

No need to remove a cylinder head. Just remove one sparkplug, poke a "magnet on a stick" in until it touches the cylinder wall. No attraction = chrome, very slight = Nikasil, strong = iron liners. If it's chrome, it's bad - there is no such thing as "good" chrome bores IMO. They will all flake eventually, usually sooner than later.
Charlie

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 04:16:29 PM »
I'm betting the cylinders haven't been changed, considering the bodge on the shock springs. That's a new one on me, and I've seen some bodges.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline motormike131

• New Egg
    • wildguzzi
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 11:25:55 AM »
  Oh.. a nicely done 70' Ambo on ebay hammer'd for nearly $7500.oo... no sale.. but.. it does give me the incentive to restore mine. Of course.. I'll have almost that into it.. :)

canuck750

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »
That looks like a great buy for what you paid for it!

Replace the cylinders if they are chrome and enjoy it, they are fantastic motorcycles.

Offline Garmst

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 02:58:04 AM »
Oh to be in a country where you find deals like that.

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:48:11 AM »
Here is what happens when the chrome starts to come off of the cylinder walls, it ends up being pumped throughout the system, with disastrous results, this pump is now NFG as well as the rest of the engine!  DonG

upload image no signup

Offline severely

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »
Nice find, Yes, check the cylinders. That seat looks OK to me, I have a stock one with an aftermarket cover if you're interested. :popcorn:

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »
No need to remove a cylinder head. Just remove one sparkplug, poke a "magnet on a stick" in until it touches the cylinder wall. No attraction = chrome, very slight = Nikasil, strong = iron liners. If it's chrome, it's bad - there is no such thing as "good" chrome bores IMO. They will all flake eventually, usually sooner than later.
I would drop the oil pan and look for metal particles, that's also a good indicator on the condition of the engine.
Joe Walano

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here