Author Topic: My "new" T3  (Read 14589 times)

thevin70

Re: My "new" T3
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 10:18:58 PM »
Super clean,,,, I like it..

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »
Shady Apex- Nice!  Working on a similar project with an 85 Cal.  The 1/4 fairing finishes the lines well.
We here in the frozen tundra can only live vicariously- more reports please.
These bikes looked so good with their bones showing   ;-T

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
Ordered some nikasil cylinders from Harpers today along with some seals and a couple little odds and ends. Looking forward to the extra displacement and the alleviation of worry regarding the chrome bores. Slowly going over the bike and keep finding things that need attention but hey, it's a 37 year old bike and I'm going to ride it for many years. My longest ride so far was about 30 miles so I'm still getting used to the bike. Things like learning how aggressively I can down shift going into a corner without wagging my tail (not very). Training my left thumb to hit the horn in a nano second, where all the false neutrals are (between most gears) and whether or not to bother down shifting (frequently not necessary).
I live in a town where there are about 3 non Harley street bikes so haven't found anybody to yak with or ride with but I don't really care. I'm not going to go down to the coffee shop with it, I'd rather go up into the mountains and enjoy the pleasure of bending my right wrist down hard and feeling the ancient power turn on. And no, it's not the same as my old Desmo but it's enough for me at my slightly advanced age.  But if anybody is coming through Bishop, CA do let me know. First round is on me.

Good on you for being proactive and ordering cylinders. While you have the heads and before you remove the cylinders check them with a magnet to verify they are or aren't chrome. Slight attraction is Nigasil, strong attraction is iron and zero attraction is chrome. If found that they a not chrome you can button things back up and ride on or you can use you BB kit and sell the others and recoup some of your investment. If they are not chrome and you choose to use the BB kit put me at the top of the list of potential buyers.

Good luck and enjoy
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »
That's one super nice Guzzi, I love the paint scheme ;-T
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 01:01:45 PM »
"I've maybe used the horn a half dozen times."

Rode my CX in NYC traffic for many years without a horn, just revved up the engine which seemed to work just fine. Finally fixed the horn when I moved out, and now I almost never use it.  :)
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »
I love it. It reminds me a bit of my R80/7 but with a rather more aggressive motor, especially in the low RPM range, better handling, a better exhaust note and less shaft jack.

So, you're saying that it's much better than a BMW?  ;D (Dusty content) I agree.. ;)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Shadyapex

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 07:15:19 PM »
So, you're saying that it's much better than a BMW?  ;D (Dusty content) I agree.. ;)
Well, I did like my BMW but I spent an awful lot of time and money trying to turn it into a sportier bike. Don't know why BMW was so stuck on the Bing carbs.
Suffice to say that I'm not planning on doing much to the Guzzi other than to make sure it's in good operating condition. Doesn't seem to need much more than that for the casual, sporty riding that I plan for it.
I did elect to go with the big bore cylinders though, I'm hoping it'll help with the high passes we have around here. Some are 10,000 ft. above sea level and up to 10% grade.
Sorry about all you guys back east suffering through a real winter. While we'd love to have a better snow pack in the mountains to address this nasty drought but today it was sunny and upper 70s. Too bad I've got the final drive off and waiting for some seals. I had to repair the threads for one of the studs that connects to the shaft housing. Should be here Saturday so I think I'll do a few more rides before pulling the heads off.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38:41 AM »
Form the housing studs go down to you local muffler shop and see if they have a M8 stud that matched up. Did that when I needed 4 header studs. Called the local Midas asked if they had M8 x 45 studs to which they replied yes. Drove down to the shop and the parts were sitting on the counter. I asked how much I owed them and I got "no charge I have a whole bin full".

One of these days Ill randomly send in a few pizza's to anoymously repay them for their kindness.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 01:51:41 PM »
Well, I did like my BMW but I spent an awful lot of time and money trying to turn it into a sportier bike. Don't know why BMW was so stuck on the Bing carbs.
Suffice to say that I'm not planning on doing much to the Guzzi other than to make sure it's in good operating condition. Doesn't seem to need much more than that for the casual, sporty riding that I plan for it.
I did elect to go with the big bore cylinders though, I'm hoping it'll help with the high passes we have around here. Some are 10,000 ft. above sea level and up to 10% grade.
Sorry about all you guys back east suffering through a real winter. While we'd love to have a better snow pack in the mountains to address this nasty drought but today it was sunny and upper 70s. Too bad  I've got the final drive off and waiting for some seals. I had to repair the threads for one of the studs that connects to the shaft housing. Should be here Saturday so I think I'll do a few more rides before pulling the heads off.

. . . . If Osama had been guzzisti.*

* sorry to smut up a perfectly good thread, but it was asking for it . . .

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here