Author Topic: Ride to Eastern San Diego County, Motor Transport Museum  (Read 13624 times)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
Ride to Eastern San Diego County, Motor Transport Museum
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:39:30 PM »
Norm, John and I met for a blast out to the Motor Transport Museum today, nice loop around the block so to speak.  A Rolling Guzzi Rally featuring a Bassa, a Griso and a V11 Jackal.

The road out of town is amazing, nice gentle sweepers with a few tighter curves thrown in for good measure.  The roads back to town are a little more sedate although lots of elevation changes.  
Good riding partners made for a great day.

I have been interested in old machinery for as long as I can recall so a place like the MTM is a neat place for me to visit.  I think John and Norm enjoyed the stop too…

Most excellent day.

Thanks guys, let's do this again.

Beat,
Rob

http://www.motortransportmuseum.org/  

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:51:25 AM by radguzzi »
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
Re: Ride to Eastern San Diego County, Motor Transport Museum
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 10:45:31 PM »
My first Guzzi rally ! John thought the attendance was rather sparse.

I ran into another Guzzi on University Avenue when I stopped to get fuel - blew my mind, that's the first time on the bike that's happened.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:53:52 PM »

My first Guzzi rally ! John thought the attendance was rather sparse.

This was an invitation only rally...  8)

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Online Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:34:37 AM »
That Museum would be called a junk yard anywhere other than So Ca.  ::)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:34:37 AM »

Offline steveford

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2014 California Touring!!! I love this BIKE!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:00:34 AM »
Looks like John flew the coup to So Cal. He used to show up at a few of out Oregon Guzzi camp outs. Very nice guy. Give him a big hello from me.  ;-T ;-T ;-T ;D ;D ;D ;-T ;-T ;-T
Keeping the Guzzi Passion Alive
Steve Ford
Vancouver Wa.

100,000+ mile 2001 EV http://wildguzzi.com/Rallies/Photos/AZ/1.jpg
77,000+mile 2014 1400 Touring
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ClnTFjmDyPMS2RBB3

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »
That Museum would be called a junk yard anywhere other than So Ca.  ::)

From the MTM website:

We've spent more then 25 years accumulating history otherwise discarded or sold for scrap metal. Mack, International, Autocar, White, Federal, Nash and even Linn are a few of the names you'll find on the vehicles found here. Some have plans for restoration, some do not. Some are available for others to restore.

Why do we collect what some call junk? Much of our past has been lost or destroyed in the name of progress. This is our efforts to preserve old trucks and their history by providing a location to store, restore and maintain them, and appropriately display them to the general public. In turn, we hope to interest and inform the general public of the important heritage of the motor truck and the commercial transportation industry.

Besides preserving these articles of history, we also restore them. The Julian Stages are are examples. The Julian Historical Society contracted MTM to restore a Julian Stage, one of two vehicles that were used from 1912 to 1915 to carry passengers and cargo between Lakeside and Julian. The vehicle took three years to restore and the restoration work was performed by volunteers. The Stage now resides for viewing at the Julian Carriage House Museum and is driven in their annual 4th of July parade. A second stage, a 1924 Cadillac, which is well into restoration, can now be seen at MTM and will be soon be completed.

Several other trucks have been fully restored and are housed inside the Old Feldspar Mill, including the 1917 quad used in World War I and the 1923 3 1/2 ton chain drive Mack truck which was used in the movie "The Aviator". Museum members have raised the funds for a new building which we plan to use to house more restored vehicles and exhibits .

For those interested in research, we also have a library containing a broad range of archival information on early and some later model Motor Transport Vehicles as well as many varieties of industrial equipment. The library has an extensive archival collection such as service, technical and parts manuals, original brochures, photographs, periodicals, engineering studies, our very own, rather large collection of journals about the motor transport industry called the "Transport Pioneer" and more.

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline Railroad Bob

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »
Oops, if I wasn't a little under the weather, I might have been able to go with you yesterday.
Maybe if you do another run, more of us San Diego guys might be able to roll with you.

It's funny; I've never heard of the "Motor Transport Museum" but I sure as heck know about the
Campo Train Museum.  My wife and I run out there about twice a year to wander through their exhibits.
They wanted me to join their "operating crews" a few years ago to assist them in running their fan train.
Didn't have the time to do it but could have easily done the work; already was qualified on the big trains!

Anyway, really nice country out there and a glass smooth, yet twisty Hwy 94 to roll home on. Not to mention
all those other roads in the back country...

Online Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »

From the MTM website:

We've spent more then 25 years accumulating history otherwise discarded or sold for scrap metal. Mack, International, Autocar, White, Federal, Nash and even Linn are a few of the names you'll find on the vehicles found here. Some have plans for restoration, some do not. Some are available for others to restore.

Why do we collect what some call junk? Much of our past has been lost or destroyed in the name of progress. This is our efforts to preserve old trucks and their history by providing a location to store, restore and maintain them, and appropriately display them to the general public. In turn, we hope to interest and inform the general public of the important heritage of the motor truck and the commercial transportation industry.

Besides preserving these articles of history, we also restore them. The Julian Stages are are examples. The Julian Historical Society contracted MTM to restore a Julian Stage, one of two vehicles that were used from 1912 to 1915 to carry passengers and cargo between Lakeside and Julian. The vehicle took three years to restore and the restoration work was performed by volunteers. The Stage now resides for viewing at the Julian Carriage House Museum and is driven in their annual 4th of July parade. A second stage, a 1924 Cadillac, which is well into restoration, can now be seen at MTM and will be soon be completed.

Several other trucks have been fully restored and are housed inside the Old Feldspar Mill, including the 1917 quad used in World War I and the 1923 3 1/2 ton chain drive Mack truck which was used in the movie "The Aviator". Museum members have raised the funds for a new building which we plan to use to house more restored vehicles and exhibits .

For those interested in research, we also have a library containing a broad range of archival information on early and some later model Motor Transport Vehicles as well as many varieties of industrial equipment. The library has an extensive archival collection such as service, technical and parts manuals, original brochures, photographs, periodicals, engineering studies, our very own, rather large collection of journals about the motor transport industry called the "Transport Pioneer" and more.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

\

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
Oops, if I wasn't a little under the weather, I might have been able to go with you yesterday.
Maybe if you do another run, more of us San Diego guys might be able to roll with you.

It's funny; I've never heard of the "Motor Transport Museum" but I sure as heck know about the
Campo Train Museum.  My wife and I run out there about twice a year to wander through their exhibits.
They wanted me to join their "operating crews" a few years ago to assist them in running their fan train.
Didn't have the time to do it but could have easily done the work; already was qualified on the big trains!

Anyway, really nice country out there and a glass smooth, yet twisty Hwy 94 to roll home on. Not to mention
all those other roads in the back country...

Bob,
I kinda sorta put the invite out in another post however, next time I will start a "San Diego Riders" ride post so everyone that wants to join in can...  :bike

If you have any favorite roads that you would like to share with us, by all means let 'er rip.

Best,
Rob

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

What ever dude, it is all about preservation of history, you either get it or you don't...  ::)

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 08:24:21 PM »
Rob, I'll use this venue to thank you once again for the windshield, and also to tell you how much I enjoyed myself yesterday. I've not ridden with others like that in more than a couple of decades, and it helped to buffy up my skill set following in the wake and watching you and John.

Let's do it again soon...Hell, maybe even do that overnighter to Borrego to see some stars. This from a guy who gave all his camping gear away...We only have three small windows to do this in - Climate change / Global warming winter, which is now, where it's hot in the day and freezing at night - Spring, where it's the same, and Fall, where it's  the same. Winter and Summer are too extreme for that location, unless you're geocaching or prospecting for riches.

Not that I expect any sympathy from those of you east of us...

Or just another mountain prowl, with additional riders.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:09:58 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Online Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »
Bob,
I kinda sorta put the invite out in another post however, next time I will start a "San Diego Riders" ride post so everyone that wants to join in can...  :bike

If you have any favorite roads that you would like to share with us, by all means let 'er rip.

Best,
Rob

What ever dude, it is all about preservation of history, you either get it or you don't...  ::)

Oh lighten up, just having a little fun, but remember "Rust never sleeps"

Offline Ad B

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:00:37 AM »
Hi,

Don't you have those ******* winters overthere??
In your shirt outside... in Februari...
I was in my shirt inside... "enjoying" flu and fever...
Damn you... :wife:

Ad B (jealous type of guy)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:01:41 AM by Ad B »
I love my... wife and Griso. Cat is in his heaven after 19 years...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 07:07:10 AM »
Hi,

Don't you have those ******* winters overthere??
In your shirt outside... in Februari...
I was in my shirt inside... "enjoying" flu and fever...
Damn you... :wife:

Ad B (jealous type of guy)

Sorry. SoCal is always sunny and 70. Gets boring after a while.. ~; :BEER:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:22:05 AM »

Norm,
My pleasure.  I am so pleased to hear that the screen works well, nothing like the Swannee fairing with the proper sized screen to experience just how well the design is carried out.

That ride was a blast... I love that area to ride, we do indeed need to do this again soon.   Map out a path and we can give it a try, probably early departure on a Sunday or if you want to venture far and wide, mid-morning on a Saturday for an overnight and travel back on Sunday.

Lemme know, actually, let us all know and we can include the fiolks that want to make a day of it.

Best,
Rob

==========================

Ad B,
Sorry to hear of the flu gig, take care.  We will take photos for you.   

==========================

Chuck,
No it does not get boring...

Best,
Rob
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 11:23:15 AM »
The weather here is far more extreme than the reports would lead you to believe.

On many days I need to wear socks. We've got brutal winters where it gets down into the forties.

Teen girls walk on the beach in winter in short shorts, mittens and UGG boots. It's a hard place to live.

I'd just as soon somebody else map  a route - I trust your your collective judgements, and you're more practiced with the softwarez than I am.

An overnight would be fun, and just a day trip would be fine too. Let's put the word out and see how many horses we can hitch up.

MotoGoosy

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 11:53:53 PM »
Hey!!  You didn't invite me!!  Next time, let me know.  I'd love to join you.

Bill
02 EV11
858-361-6085
wjrose12@gmail.com

crc

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 01:23:30 AM »
weve got a museum here very simaler, the Wanaka transport museum, lot of unrestored stuff outside basking in the central otago dry climate. I have a passion for old trucks as well, so its good to see my favourites there, internationals. ive got a passion for steam locos as well and recently helped do a lot of restoration work on a hudswell Clarke b10, its now churning out black coal smoke and steam. it was a huge project but well worth it

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 11:35:42 AM »
Hey!!  You didn't invite me!!  Next time, let me know.  I'd love to join you.

Bill
02 EV11
858-361-6085
wjrose12@gmail.com

Sorry Bill,
I did not know you existed...  :-[   We would love to have you ride with us.  I did put out a half baked invite buried in the thread listed below a couple of days before the hastly arranged ride happened.

Next ride we will put the word out in a new thread as soon as we know What, When and Where to figure out Who...  ;D

Cool..?

Where are you ...?  San Diego proper by the phone area code...?

Best,
Rob

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74601.msg1170685#msg1170685

Back at ya John, Normzone too...

Anyone else in the San Diego area want to take a blast Saturday...?

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 11:49:10 AM »
I REALLY miss riding those roads.  We lived in San Diego for 30 years and rode just about every weekend.  I'm glad to see that some of you are still enjoying those fabulous roads that were tailor made for motorcycle riding.
NO longer can ride

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
I REALLY miss riding those roads.  We lived in San Diego for 30 years and rode just about every weekend.  I'm glad to see that some of you are still enjoying those fabulous roads that were tailor made for motorcycle riding.

Well Jackson,
Just for you I will post a couple of youtube videos (as soon as I edit them down to a reasonable size) of the trek out to Campo and and back, maybe some Honey Springs Road, Lyons Valley SCI and all that...

I could ride those road every weekend and not tire of them.  Indeed fabulous roads.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

MotoGoosy

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 04:06:53 PM »
I'm in sunny downtown Kearny Mesa and always up for a jaunt to Escondido for a burrito.

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:18 AM »
I'm in sunny downtown Kearny Mesa and always up for a jaunt to Escondido for a burrito.

I was just up in Kearny Mesa yesterday, well Clairemont Mesa Ave, ordered a new rear tire for the V11 Cali...

Do you have a neat, backroad ride in mind to go up to Escondido...?  Maybe a loop around to 67...?  I notice a road named Highland valley and another called Archie Moore Road.. Are those paved or dirt...?  Do you happen to know...?

Thanks,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 10:21:47 AM »
Good to see you and the bike back on the road.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
Good to see you and the bike back on the road.

Thanks, I was not really off the road very long, just a day or so waiting on the clutch lever from MGCycle...  I would like to replace the National Cycle cases as they are banged up.  I found a set North of here and I'll go get them this weekend.

Best,
Rob

Read the web page posted, so they do restore some of that stuff.

I like that old milk truck.

Yes, they do.  Often for other organizations.  Good stuff really, saving history one piece at a time.

I was 18 and strong like bull. 

And smart like tractor...  :BEER:

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline 5154guzzi

• Gosling
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 11:40:21 PM »
Archie Moore and Highland Valley are both paved.  HV is one of the best staple motorcycling roads in North County .

MotoGoosy

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 12:12:54 AM »
I usually just shoot straight up 15.  Highland valley road is paved and a great loop, goes past the wild animal park, if I remember correctly.

Gimme a jingle and let's run out there.

Bill
858-361-6085

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 08:15:14 AM »
Archie Moore and Highland Valley are both paved.  HV is one of the best staple motorcycling roads in North County .

Excellent, they look to be my kinda roads, gotta give them a try.  I have been pounding the East County stuff for some time and love them but like to expand my horizons.
Thanks,
Rob

I usually just shoot straight up 15.  Highland valley road is paved and a great loop, goes past the wild animal park, if I remember correctly.

Gimme a jingle and let's run out there.

Bill
858-361-6085

Bill,15 does not do it for me, I slab the 805/54/5 e.v.e.r.y day and need to wear out the sides of my tires as well so I seek out twisty roads on the weekends.

This Highland valley looks good.

Sunday...?

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 08:16:28 AM »

If I tried that these days I'd end up in the ER attached up to every machine they have in the place.

Copy that.... :P  LOL
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 08:21:58 AM »
Was in the Marine Corp at the time and hung around with all the macho heavy duty crazy party people. We would get back to the base at 3:00AM in the morning and at 6:am be out doing a full Marine Corp work out including a five mile run all before breakfast. Liberty call 4:00pm go out and do it all again.

If I tried that these days I'd end up in the ER attached up to every machine they have in the place.

Been there done that. Camp Pendleton 5th Marines 60-61.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here