Author Topic: Guzzi in Superbike Racing???  (Read 15572 times)

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Guzzi in Superbike Racing???
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:02:14 AM »
I thought I'd provide everyone with a good laugh this morning but ... do you think there is any possible chance that Moto Guzzi will ever field a modern machine that could compete in the National or World Superbike Series racing?

I'm serious.  Not delusional this early in the morning.

This is the series that mandates motorcycles to be based on standard homologated production machines and be four-stroke, 850-1200CC for twins,  750-1000CC for four-cylinders. Aside from the popularity of such races, they provide a valuable marketing tool for the manufacturers.

Lest anyone think that a twin couldn't compete, Ducati twins hold the world record of 14 wins in this series with Honda a distant second at 6 wins.

I know, I know, we aren't going to see a California 1400 on the Superbike podium or a Stelvio either for that matter.  I also know Aprilia wants these spots for their own offerings and Piaggio hasn't positioned the Guzzi brand in a way to appeal to this sort of marketing.  It's just a whimsical thought.  Could another Italian V Twin with or without shaft drive be competitive? Could it make inroads to a younger demographic coming up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbike_racing

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
Re: Guzzi in Superbike Racing???
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
Two things come to mind, weight and electronics.  BMW tried/trying.
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:05:19 AM »
Certainly.  They could have easily put the Moto Guzzi name on the current WSBK Aprilia.  A good argument could be made that should Aprilia get serious in MotoGP, they should do exactly that.  But, they won't (Guzzi is now positioned by Piaggio to never be their leading edge performance bike).

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »
It's simply a matter of doing some telephone call, and invest a lot of money.
If the Piaggio management calls the engineers of the Centro Sviluppo Motori Piaggio giving them the task to make a 1200cc twin for competitions, they will do it, and, if the same management tell the Aprilia guys to develop a bike capable to win the WSBK with that engine, they will do. They already have the know-how to do those things.
But those are costly items. As I recall, the development of the RSV4 cost 25.000.000 € prior than the first race.

DogW
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:36:19 AM by Dogwalker »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 09:31:53 AM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 09:37:37 AM »
It's all about money, and personally I'd rather see the money spent on developing the lineup of street motorcycles.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:10:04 AM »
Certainly.  They could have easily put the Moto Guzzi name on the current WSBK Aprilia.  A good argument could be made that should Aprilia get serious in MotoGP, they should do exactly that.  But, they won't (Guzzi is now positioned by Piaggio to never be their leading edge performance bike).

I agree with this.  Aprilia is currently the "racing" brand, and Moto Guzzi is the "heritage" brand, but part of Guzzi's "heritage" IS racing, so why is that off the table?  In that regard, an Aprilia / Moto Guzzi -- MotoGP / SBK split makes a lot of sense.  However, notice that with Aprilia shifting its emphasis to MotoGP this year, Aprilia is not fielding a factory team in WSBK.  I don't think Piaggio has the money to field factory teams in two world racing series, simultaneously.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »
With the recent mention of the "limited V7 Racer" and the V7II 6-speed gearbox, the homologation looks promising.   ;-T
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 11:18:23 AM »
You all seem to leave out that Guzzis are mostly air cooled and all the SBK bikes are water cooled.   Besides, Aprilia is back in Moto GP and WSBK so that's where all the Piaggio race $ is going.  In fact I'm surprised Piaggio can afford to be in both race formats.  :o

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 11:38:22 AM »
The only way it would work is to rebadge the Aprilia V4 a Guzzi.  Might be a smart plan actually, since the Superbike has already been developed and Aprilia is moving to Moto GP.  Sales wise, there would a Guzzi version- so another market for an off the shelf package.  Something for the mature sportbike guy.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »
You all seem to leave out that Guzzis are mostly air cooled and all the SBK bikes are water cooled.   Besides, Aprilia is back in Moto GP and WSBK so that's where all the Piaggio race $ is going.  In fact I'm surprised Piaggio can afford to be in both race formats.  :o

They can't.  There is no Team Aprilia in WSBK 2015; Aprilia withdrew at the end of 2014 to concentrate on MotoGP in 2015.  Team Red Devils Roma will compete in WSBK in 2015 with the RSV4, but whatever factory support they get will be informal and not on the same level as in years past.

Obviously, any Moto Guzzi racer on the world stage would be a water-cooled, state-of-the art racing machine.  Since SBK is a production-based series, that would require a production model to base the racer off of.  So?  If Piaggio is not currently working on new Moto Guzzi models, at least some of which are water-cooled, then Guzzi has bigger problems than simply being out of racing.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 12:08:27 PM »
They can't.  There is no Team Aprilia in WSBK 2015; Aprilia withdrew at the end of 2014 to concentrate on MotoGP in 2015.  Team Red Devils Roma will compete in WSBK in 2015 with the RSV4, but whatever factory support they get will be informal and not on the same level as in years past.

Obviously, any Moto Guzzi racer on the world stage would be a water-cooled, state-of-the art racing machine.  Since SBK is a production-based series, that would require a production model to base the racer off of.  So?  If Piaggio is not currently working on new Moto Guzzi models, at least some of which are water-cooled, then Guzzi has bigger problems than simply being out of racing.

Guzzi built a  w/c prototype motor years ago and it went nowhere.  MG, like HD,  is clinging to air cooled as long as it can.  How long that will be who knows?  Hard to say if the Guzzi faithful would accept a w/c motor in their future or anything but a v twin.   Guzzi heritage is to be different designed from all it's competitors.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:25:18 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 12:15:47 PM »
I remember the MG against the HD, Lucifer's Hammer at Pocano in 85 ; good race

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »
I remember the MG against the HD, Lucifer's Hammer at Pocano in 85 ; good race

That's when they were both air cooled motors and comparable in speed.  Air cooled against w/c now is no contest unless it's amateur racing and it comes down to the racer, not the bike.

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »
Back in the mid 70's the Lemans 1 was a contender.

But look how others have evolved and look how Guzzi has evolved. There ain't no way in hell Guzzi will ever be able to make a bike compete with a Duc. sorry.
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »
Back in the mid 70's the Lemans 1 was a contender.

But look how others have evolved and look how Guzzi has evolved. There ain't no way in hell Guzzi will ever be able to make a bike compete with a Duc. sorry.
sad but true, at least for the next few years unless Guzzi steps up/is allowed to step up by Piaggio

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »
sad but true, at least for the next few years unless Guzzi steps up/is allowed to step up by Piaggio

If you want to be proud of your brand MC for it's speed, you have to buy a Ducati, BMW, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, or Aprilia.  I have 2 of them besides a couple Guzzis.  ;D

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 12:36:48 PM »

Guzzi built a  w/c prototype motor years ago and it went nowhere.  MG, like HD,  is clinging to air cooled as long as it can.  How long that will be who knows?  Hard to say if the Guzzi faithful would accept a w/c motor in their future or anything but a v twin.   Guzzi heritage is to be different designed from all it's competitors.  ;D

Would the Guzzisti accept a longitudinal v-twin, transverse v-twin, inline three-cylinder, or V-4, with water cooling?  At least those are different enough from an I-4 to claim oddball or underdog status in SBK.

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »
 Even BMW has withdrawn factory support from SBK . Does Ducati field a factory team , they had withdrawn at one time . The big 4 aren't as involved as they once were . An Aprillia badged as a Guzzi , hmm , not really a Guzzi and would bear no relationship to the MGs sold to the public .

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »
Even BMW has withdrawn factory support from SBK . Does Ducati field a factory team , they had withdrawn at one time . The big 4 aren't as involved as they once were . An Aprillia badged as a Guzzi , hmm , not really a Guzzi and would bear no relationship to the MGs sold to the public .

Dusty

Yes Ducati has a factory WSBK team again.   Chaz Davies is their main rider.  He raced some in AMA when years were bleak for any ride.  Rode an Aprilia then but it wasn't really competitive.

For these 2 races @ Philip Island Troy Bayliss is filling in for an injured rider to match Davies in fighting for the wins on the other Ducati.  8)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:26:27 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »

Dusty

There would have to be a street Guzzi version to be WSBK legal. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
There would have to be a street Guzzi version to be WSBK legal. 

Good point John , which reinforces what most believe , it ain't gonna happen . Funny , I did a search , this topic , or one similar , comes up every so often , don't think Piaggio is listening  ::) :D

Dusty

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »
Actually I thought the Aprilia RSV that Chaz Davies road a couple years back in competitiveAmerican Super Bike was pretty competivie.  They finished in the top 5 several times as I recall, with a couple podiums.

This year Aprilia is competing with a full factory team in ASB.   I'm looking forward to see what a factory team can do, as the last attempt was not a factory team.

I would like to see a RSV4 with a Guzzi badge in WSB or Moto GP, I think it would be great for the brand.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 03:51:35 PM »
Good point John , which reinforces what most believe , it ain't gonna happen . Funny , I did a search , this topic , or one similar , comes up every so often , don't think Piaggio is listening  ::) :D

Dusty

That's right.  It has to be a street legal bike produced and sold X units a year to qualify for accreditation in WSBK.  Bimota just got dropped because it hasn't sold enough units to qualify.  So a Moto Guzzi superbike competitor is just a pipe dream.   :beat_horse

..........pass that joint over here..........my friend..........
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:55:10 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 04:57:52 PM »
MG does have their 100th year anniversary coming up. They might be getting ready to drop something huge when that time comes instead of some wet parts bin special like the BMW nineT.

Offline Hugh Straub

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 06:09:11 PM »
How about a "Less Than Superbike Series" limited to air cooled, push rod, V twins...MG v HD.  Any one else we should invite?
Brgds

Hugh
"Often wrong, never in doubt"

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 06:13:05 PM »
How about a "Less Than Superbike Series" limited to air cooled, push rod, V twins...MG v HD.  Any one else we should invite?

It's called the BEARS series .

Dusty

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 06:22:23 PM »

It's called the BEARS series .

Dusty

And AHRMA BOTT, where there is a Guzzi presence...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Even BMW has withdrawn factory support from SBK . Does Ducati field a factory team , they had withdrawn at one time . The big 4 aren't as involved as they once were .

Not exactly.  

The BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet SBK Team is directly sponsored and managed by BMW of Italy, and is supported by the parent corporation, BMW in Germany.

Aruba.it Racing - Ducati Superbike Team is a factory team.  MV Agusta Motor S.p.A. fields a factory team.  EBR / Hero is a factory team.  When Bimota was in SBK last year, it was with a factory team, and if they can meet homologation rules, they will likely return with a factory team.  Even the Aprilia Racing Team – Red Devils is managed by an individual who is part of Aprilia's management, and the team is supported by Aprilia, albeit not at the same level as in years past.

Monster Energy / Kawasaki is sponsored and managed directly by Kawasaki Motors Europe NV, and receives support from the parent company KHI in Japan; I am not sure of the contractual arrangements between Honda Motor Japan and the Pata Honda Team, or between Suzuki Motor Japan and the Voltcom Crescent Suzuki Team, but I think those can also be considered factory teams.  The only one of the Big Four Japanese manufacturers without a factory WSBK effort in recent years is Yamaha, which seems weird to me, given their heavy (and successful) involvement in AMA Superbike racing. (Yamaha Motor Europe N.V. was the official factory WSBK sponsor, withdrawing at the end of the 2011 season.)  But check this out -- Yamaha is back (somewhat)for 2015, and is planning a full factory effort in 2016: http://paologozzi.gazzetta.it/en/2014/11/28/english-yamaha-to-do-one-off-appearances-in-sbk-2015-search-for-top-rider-for-2016/

Like Mark Twain, reports of the death of WSBK are greatly exaggerated.

An Aprillia badged as a Guzzi , hmm , not really a Guzzi and would bear no relationship to the MGs sold to the public .

Guzzi in SBK would require Piaggio to either market a re-badged RSV-4 as a Moto Guzzi, or invest in developing a new Guzzi superbike.  I am not a fan of "badge engineering."  It rarely works from a marketing perspective, and it can do real and lasting damage to a brand.  (Ask Plymouth fans.)  Piaggio is a worldwide corporation, with net revenues of well over $1B EU annually; if they wanted to build another superbike, they could.  I don't think they want to, though.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 08:58:46 PM by youcanrunnaked »

Cheese

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 10:55:37 AM »
Perhaps Guzzi/Piaggio needs a car mfg involved to field a top level contender. I vote for Fiat. Ducati dropped out and came back after Audi "rescued" them. MV is owned by..? BMW, Honda...

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »
The idea of a Mfg. being in WSBK is to sell more copies of that race bike to the public as a street bike.  Piaggio has Aprilia for that purpose, not Moto Guzzi.  End of story.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here