Author Topic: Road Salt  (Read 15336 times)

Cheese

Road Salt
« on: February 19, 2015, 09:40:20 AM »
Road Salt. Helps keep people from running into others or off the road completely. Prematurely rusts cars. What's the age of your daily driver cage? How's it look? Mines an '04 Ranger with 220000miles. Spare tire fell off last week due to rust, passenger door rusted (holed) along bottom, gas tank straps rusted off, tail gate rotted, still has original exhaust. Does this happen near oceans too?

Bored,
Peter

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Road Salt
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 09:50:12 AM »
Live in the middle of Kansas and we do get some salted roads. To me rusting varies greatly from vehicle to vehicle brand and years. My current work car is a 2001 Accord with 219K. It is garaged but only gets washed about five or six times a years and never waxed and it does not have a spot of rust anywhere. Same for my Nissan PU which is a 1997 model, NEVER garaged, rarely washed and never waxed and it has no rust at all. I have seen other brands that are quite a bit newer with noticeable rust, especially pickups.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Cheese

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:55:14 AM »
Road Salt. Helps keep people from running into others or off the road completely. Prematurely rusts cars. What's the age of your daily driver cage? How's it look? Mines an '04 Ranger with 220000miles. Spare tire fell off last week due to rust, passenger door rusted (holed) along bottom, gas tank straps rusted off, tail gate rotted, still has original exhaust. Does this happen near oceans too?

Bored,
Peter

Mine's not garaged and washed by the rain. Upstate NY.

Offline Gian4

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »
I feel your salt pain.  I live in upstate NY too.  04 jeep fenders are rusting.  Not to hyjack the thread but does anyone have any ideas how effective those electronic anode rust inhibiting devices work.  I've read mixed reviews about them on line.
Gian4

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:56:48 AM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:01:55 AM »
Does this happen near oceans too?

It sure does.  My inlaws live in North Myrtle Beach, SC.  My Father In Law had the fins of his aluminum radiator in his minivan disappear.  One year when I visited, he had bought a new lawn mower and gas grill.  It took only a couple years before they were junk.  The nails holding the Widow's Watch three stories up on the roof of his house rusted through and the deck blew off the roof in a storm, narrowly missing his parked cars below.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »
What really eats car bodies is the calcium chloride they must add to salt when temps get really low. Salt becomes ineffective below certain temps.
When I worked at MODoT in the 70s I saw a bridge I beam eaten clean through by the stuff.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:03:29 AM »
 97 and 99 Jeep Cherokees....99 is from Maryland and more or less not rusty and not driven much in the winter.The 97  has escaped the worst of the rust still is solid underneath.
 New vehicles last a lot longer than they used to. When I moved to western NY state in the mid 70's, Japanese cars had holes after two winters along with some other well known rusters like Vegas,many Ford cars and Dusters. GM vehicles seem to rust more gracefully so to speak....
 Even today when you see an 80's total rust bucket still on the road it has a GM nameplate....Everyt hing else is long gone...

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »
Daily driver is 2007 Ford 500 - 151000 miles, has had fender work for rust, will need more this spring.  That car was bought new and cared for well but in north central MA, where the winters are harsh.  We bought a used 2005 Ford Freestyle, which is the wagon version of the Ford 500 which had been owned and cared for well in southern CT, a much milder climate.  No rust issues at all at 105k miles.
My 2002 Ford F150 of questionable pedigree is also known as "Dad's Rust Bucket" - it has 84K miles and spent its rough youth in Maine.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 11:48:36 AM »
  Rock salt use is promoted by auto manufacturers to shot peen undercoating from vehicles and corrode them faster.
 That way they sell you a new vehicle sooner.  It is a method perfected in cleveland because they have at least two major auto assembly plants nearby  and a salt mine under the city.  By the way they also have a large number of bridges condemned because of corrosion.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 11:50:16 AM »
I've got a '97 Ranger in Minnesota, same problem- spare tire hasn't fallen off yet, but I carry it in the bed now just in case. The cab looks like new except for some surface rust on the bottom of the doors, but all kinds of brake parts have rusted out and I've thus replaced most of the rear brakes, lines and all. While I had the bed off to fix the brakes I repainted the frame and bottom of the bed with Rustoleum primer, so far it will pass the Toyota "ball peen hammer test". When I hooked the chain from my hoist into one of the bolt holes in the bed it started to tear through the rusty metal, so I think I'm going to put some treated plywood on the floor to make sure nothing falls through. At this point I suspect the Ranger has only a couple years use left in the frame, kind of a shame 'cause it's only got 90k miles on it. BTW, a lot of pickups in the rust belt have this problem, and old pickups tend to be money pits... I'm debating if this one is worth some cheap new tires!
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 01:35:08 PM »
 :+=copcar  same thing with my '96 ranger--brake lines-pass door-bed cross members completely rusted out-thank god I had a liner.this with only 75k--the beautiful garden state :BEER:

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »
'96 GMC van with 152k.  The skirts over the rear shock sliders have rusted and now chirp.  It's like the radio only plays the chipmunk's version of "rockin robin".  We have the double-whammy of the ocean right over there and rain that's measured in buckets instead of inches.  I don't know what they use on the roads, but you're more likely to lose your suspension members in chuckholes than from whatever it is.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »
By the way, if you're ever riding near the middle of Kansas (and need to cool down), the salt mine tour in Hutchinson is pretty interesting.

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 02:34:22 PM »
Dad was born and raised in Hutch. Always talked about the Carey salt mine. Even included it on his mode RR.
Took my oldest brother on the tour there when he was a kid. When he came out he had salt stuffed in his clothes and looked like the Michelin Man.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 02:41:59 PM »
  Rock salt use is promoted by auto manufacturers to shot peen undercoating from vehicles and corrode them faster.
 That way they sell you a new vehicle sooner.  It is a method perfected in cleveland because they have at least two major auto assembly plants nearby  and a salt mine under the city.  By the way they also have a large number of bridges condemned because of corrosion.

The conspiracy theory  ;D

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »
No road salt at Ocean Isle NC

I inherited my pops' F-150 2001 with about 140k that lived there it's whole life..

Truck stayed outside 2 blocks from the surf in the sun & salty wind it's whole life

Entire undercarriage covered in surface rust; tail/brakelight needed all new wiring;  one hood hinge mount point completely gone, all around engine bay flaking to bits; both door sills & bottom of door eat up; bed is sound but one tailgate hinge/pivot cup rusted & broken free of gate, other is on it's last legs; trailer hitch ball tongue hard seized into receiver; leading edge of the hood pockmarked with rock strikes that have bloomed into rusty flowers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
Oh yeah & the clear coat all over the left side (sun facing when parked) just flaking off in crumbs.. The pinstripe on that side is 3 shades lighter than the other side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »
I wonder if the new F150s with more use of aluminum will do better.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »
almost 20% of the CT state plow trucks are off the road because the leaf springs rusted off.
there are no springs available east of the Mississippi
all because of the new wonder ice melter liquid they use here

Asylum

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »
Living in Montreal, we have no choice to rust proof each year in order to combat against the salty roads. Let me tell you, for $70 per year to get the vehicle treated makes a HUGE difference. My 2007 tahoe looks clean as a whistle underneath.

Watching some American shows, sometimes I just can't believe the vehicles that get pulled out of scrap yards in order to get rebuilt. Some of them look better than a 4 year old vehicle that hasn't been treated where I live.

So if you can find a place that rust proofs, trust me go for it. The place I go offers a lifetime warranty if you get it treated every year.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »
An empl;oyee just had a rear suspension arm RUST to pieces on her Hyundai/Kia SUV.  Amazing.

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 07:15:53 PM »
I've been told in Indiana they use beet juice instead of salt.

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »
l

Jim - living near Cleveland, you maybe correct - but keeps economy going.  Maybe we should use more.....

Mark

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »
almost 20% of the CT state plow trucks are off the road because the leaf springs rusted off.
there are no springs available east of the Mississippi
all because of the new wonder ice melter liquid they use here

Everyone down here is touting the benefits of the new Magnesium Chloride liquid ice melter they use now.    The trucks are out spraying it on the roads the day before the snow and ice is supposed to get here.   The only thing now that they spread off the back of a dump truck is sand, although I don't know what might be in it, but the rock salt is done with.

The Colorado govt. website says that Magnesium Chloride is less corrosive than calcium or sodium chloride, and does less damage to the rivers when it washes off the roads, but I don't know the numbers, just what they say.

They sure use a lot of it now, though.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 08:14:35 PM »
  I've never heard of volcanic cinders polluting any waterway.
  I've never heard of them corroding any vehicle.
  People who live in places that get snow and ice on the roads
  have an obligation to learn to drive safely on the stuff or not drive in winter at all.
  They should not depend on road crews to keep the roads so that they can continue to drive at high speeds and
  use insufficient distance between themselves and the vehicle they are following.
  They should understand that nature creates ice storms to better the gene pool of drivers.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Road Salt
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 09:38:34 PM »
Everyone down here is touting the benefits of the new Magnesium Chloride liquid ice melter they use now.    The trucks are out spraying it on the roads the day before the snow and ice is supposed to get here.   The only thing now that they spread off the back of a dump truck is sand, although I don't know what might be in it, but the rock salt is done with.

The Colorado govt. website says that Magnesium Chloride is less corrosive than calcium or sodium chloride, and does less damage to the rivers when it washes off the roads, but I don't know the numbers, just what they say.

They sure use a lot of it now, though.

Lannis
We had a 10 y/o Subaru that looked like new, including under the hood.

Then PA started spraying that stuff.

I swear in less than 2 years there were stalactites and stalagmites coming off every surface under the hood.

At the same time my Jackal rear fender rusted through in something like 2-3 winters.

The stuff is the devil I tell ya, the devil...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 10:58:51 PM »
  The devil is not that nasty, but he might take offense at your comparison.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 11:54:22 PM »
Salty air from the Pacific ocean eats thru any metal and corrodes aluminum. If you have any chrome near it good luck.  ~;
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:54:58 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 12:00:24 AM »
I wonder if the new F150s with more use of aluminum will do better.

That depends on what aluminum alloy they use.  6061 isn't too bad with salt, but we had some 2024 (called 24S at the time) that mounted rollers on a boat trailer when I was a kid.  The trailer was used in salt water regularly, but hosed off afterward.  It took only a few years and the 1/2" thick 2024 looked like a stack of cardboard.  When unbolted, it immediately fell apart.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:01:33 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Ad B

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 01:07:22 AM »
Hi,

here in the Netherlands, Europe they use a lot of salt.
We often have temperatures around 0°C (32°F) from November-March.
Our cars can have a lot. My little Mazda 323 will become 20 this year...
Nearly no rust.
My 1969 Chevy C10 stepside went the wrong way in about 6 years... Damn...
 ::(

Ad B
I love my... wife and Griso. Cat is in his heaven after 19 years...

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here