Author Topic: "Is that small bike stable on the interstate?  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: "Is that small bike stable on the interstate?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »
Anybody have any 'sperience with the bumper hitch carrier? Riding my ass off and wearing out MC tires just to get to a destination to ride becomes less fun all the time. The F-150 cab seems more comfy.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »
I got the one from  Harbor Freight to carry an old Yamaha 125 on the back of the 5th wheel. It carried the bike just fine but on back of the trailer it was pretty high which made loading and uploading pretty tough requiring some manhandling. I don't have the Yamaha anymore but want to carry the V7 on it. Not being heavy duty enough for that bike I beefed it up and in the process lowered it a bit. I have yet to use it with the V7. I am nervous about something going wrong, the V7lll is a lot more bike than the old beat up Yamaha.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2021, 09:03:35 PM »
:popcorn:

No need even replying. He's spoiling for an internet fight that he's not going to get. Just like the song "The Winner" I quit he's the winner.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2021, 09:55:48 PM »
Anybody have any 'sperience with the bumper hitch carrier? Riding my ass off and wearing out MC tires just to get to a destination to ride becomes less fun all the time. The F-150 cab seems more comfy.

Can't say yet, but about to try on our Defender with the Ducati.

NJ Nick carries his Aprilia on one and seems happy with it.

So fingers crossed.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2021, 09:55:48 PM »

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2021, 12:29:00 AM »
I would have told him its as stable as a Harley on a trailer on the way to Daytona.

And ya that's a real thing with that crowd...........    :laugh:

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2021, 12:43:52 AM »
  You guy's gotta be American  :laugh:. Towing motorcycles to riding destinations , good heavens that's almost pathetic .  :popcorn:  Peter

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2021, 07:12:59 AM »
    My riding partners are old , 70 +, with bad backs and other health issues. Trailering to the Black Hills ( eg.) allowes them to actually ride there instead laying in bed crying all day from long days in the saddle.  :embarrassed:  one  guy has to sleep on he floor his back is so bad.  :bike-037:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:16:32 AM by bacongrease »

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2021, 07:15:20 AM »
I would have told him its as stable as a Harley on a trailer on the way to Daytona.

It is a legitimate question from someone who is curious.
It doesn't deserve a wise ass answer.   :bike-037:

Offline dirtiegirtie

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2021, 07:21:51 AM »
Ride for fun. Ride for transportation. Plan a vacation around riding and trailer your bike there. Plan a vacation where it's just you and your bike camping road side.
Be respectful of your surroundings.
Be respectful of other riders.
And enjoy the ride.

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2021, 07:33:34 AM »
Germany has a well known system of high speed highways, known as autobahns.
From what I remember from the 11 years driving there, is that any motor vehicle only requires a minimum speed of 60 KPH (41 mph) to drive on them. Even a Vespa PX 80 (80cc) is legal there, and mine is 150CC.

This tale of having only big bikes on the Interstates is just that, old tales. I have never felt unsafe on any of my bikes, even in 30 mph crosswinds or headwinds, either here or abroad. Yes, it gets exciting in those conditions, of course, and it all boils down to whether or not you know what you are capable of dealing with, regardless of the size or weight of bike or car.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2021, 07:37:02 AM »

This is exactly what I will be doing in August.  Also why I bought the KLX300SM (besides being a cool bike).  Going to New England to spend time with my parents while I still can.  The only bike I could ride there would be the Harley and I don't fancy riding through the northeast when I am used to riding on deserted roads here. 

There are many receiver hitch carriers out there from the $100 HF one I have to $800 jobs designed to carry heavier bikes behind motorhomes. 

If it was something I was going to do full time I would mount additional receivers along the frame rails of the truck to create 3 points of contact with the rail for added stability and more tie down points.

Here it is with my Van Van loaded.  I added the extra LED trailer lights to it after this test fit.

There is no way I am riding the Van Van to the places I want to camp.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2021, 07:40:01 AM »
Germany has a well known system of high speed highways, known as autobahns.
From what I remember from the 11 years driving there, is that any motor vehicle only requires a minimum speed of 60 KPH (41 mph) to drive on them. Even a Vespa PX 80 (80cc) is legal there, and mine is 150CC.

This tale of having only big bikes on the Interstates is just that, old tales. I have never felt unsafe on any of my bikes, even in 30 mph crosswinds or headwinds, either here or abroad. Yes, it gets exciting in those conditions, of course, and it all boils down to whether or not you know what you are capable of dealing with, regardless of the size or weight of bike or car.

I'm more nervous riding around Fort Walton Beach than I ever would be on the highway.  LOL!  I have found most routes through neighborhoods to avoid the "tourist" roads, but they can't be avoided if you want to go out onto Okaloosa Island or Navarre Beach. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2021, 08:20:28 AM »
I know one doesn't NEED a huge bike for the interstate, but it sure does change the experience.

And a Vespa might be fine on the autobahn, but I hear people actually obey the rules of the road on those. Here in the US it's often the wild wild west on the highway and survival of the fittest. Though I CAN ride my own speed in the slow lane more often than not it does expose me to more dangers at times.

As for this thread, jeez guys it's more judgy than high school.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online elrealistico

• Hatchling
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2021, 08:22:23 AM »
Prolly just making conversation. I did a charity poker run with the HD crowd locally, it left from a local HD dealer. I took my T140V, the run was abut 165 mi with 3 stops in between. A guy at the HD dealer wondered aloud to me how I could take such a small bike on such a long ride   :grin: No problem at all of course, especially with the top speed never going above 65mph with that bunch.
I got a busted flush and didn't win anything :sad:
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2021, 08:31:19 AM »
There is no shame in trailering your bike to Daytona. Ya gotta consider that these guys (and gals) are coming from Ohio and Pennsylvania in late winter where there is quite likely still snow on the ground.
Regarding trailering your bike to The Black Hills or Zion, how is that worse than flying and renting a bike?
It’s all good.
I have never trailered a bike in half a million miles of riding, but I get it.
It keeps the wife happy. It keeps your back happy.
You have 6000 miles of tire, but it is a 6500 mile trip.
Nobody likes crossing the prairie or desert in August.
It’s all good.
As my dad used to tell me, “Son, make yourself happy”.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »
^^^^^ Words of wisdom right there.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2021, 10:55:37 AM »
 I never pay any attention to bikes on trailers that might be hauled to a bike meet..Why would anyone care?
  On the scale both my 79 Triumph 750 and 96 900 Monster are slightly less than 400 pounds..The carefully  tuned Triumph contrary to popular belief can run at 80 mph , 5200 rpm, and not blow up. But the bike is not happy, stable but sensitive to winds...The Ducati is  more comfortable and steady, but windy, I dislike riding the Interstate.

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2021, 03:12:45 PM »
I'm more nervous riding around Fort Walton Beach than I ever would be on the highway.  LOL!  I have found most routes through neighborhoods to avoid the "tourist" roads, but they can't be avoided if you want to go out onto Okaloosa Island or Navarre Beach.

Been living, riding this area for over 21 years, now, and, except for an old Guzzi Robin  49cc moped, (that I would like to have) any other Guzzi is more than adequate to deal with the local traffic, here. Lots of idiot cagers and clueless tourists, especially this time of the year, but really nothing than can't be dealt with. I have had a couple of close sphincter- tightening calls, of course, like most of us here have had.
But riding around Naples, Italy takes the cake.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2021, 03:27:02 PM »

Hey Kev, do you get any trailer buffeting that way??

We'll have to test that theory.   Maybe I can get on the bike (on the trailer), and have the Missus drive me around.  In the meantime, we can start a betting pool on the odds of getting pulled over - and a second pool on (if) we get ticketed.

:bike-037:

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2021, 07:47:25 AM »

Ya, I have never felt a ton of difference myself. Heck ive gotten blown around in small, and big cars, and trucks big and small also..  Frankly the wind doest care if its a 400lb bike or a 800 lb bike in my experience.

Knowing the local HD riders to me I think its a valid question though, and not a slam. My experience is they WANT to dislike the MG's because its not HD...  but are too intrigued..
Paul B

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2021, 07:51:55 AM »
There is no shame in trailering your bike to Daytona. Ya gotta consider that these guys (and gals) are coming from Ohio and Pennsylvania in late winter where there is quite likely still snow on the ground.
Regarding trailering your bike to The Black Hills or Zion, how is that worse than flying and renting a bike?
It’s all good.
I have never trailered a bike in half a million miles of riding, but I get it.
It keeps the wife happy. It keeps your back happy.
You have 6000 miles of tire, but it is a 6500 mile trip.
Nobody likes crossing the prairie or desert in August.
It’s all good.
As my dad used to tell me, “Son, make yourself happy”.

Agreed 100% ..."There is no shame in trailering" - - if the situation / conditions calls for it. :wink: :thumb: :cool:  Certainly beats sitting at home on the couch with the remote... :wink: :grin: :laugh:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2021, 03:12:42 PM »
No matter how you do it, it is all about having fun!
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2021, 10:56:52 PM »
My 1958 R69 still cruises at 70 all day long. Nothing ever done except points plugs tires and valve adjustment.Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2021, 05:59:42 AM »
Being brutality honest here.  It isn't a matter of can a smaller, lighter, less powerful bike ride on the interstate, it is whether it ca do it among the big rigs, trucks, SUVs, etc. without being beat up by the turbulent wind created by all these vehicles.

If we are being honest, no bike is fun riding in this type of fast moving traffic, but smaller, lighter bikes are less fun to a point of downright scary.

Unless you have ridden a late model Road Glide, Goldwing, Voyager, or one of the other frame mounted fairing touring / sport touring bikes on the interstate you don't really know what a difference they can make.

If you haven't tried one and think your bike does fine, just imagine how much better those bikes designed for interstate travel would be.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2021, 07:23:16 AM »
When it comes to interstate travel with gusty crosswinds, semis, etc. I'll take a Centauro, Sport, or the Mighty Scura every time. They don't seem to get blown around like the touring barges to me. Admittedly, my experience of tourers are Harley and my old R100RT, though. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2021, 07:46:05 AM »
When it comes to interstate travel with gusty crosswinds, semis, etc. I'll take a Centauro, Sport, or the Mighty Scura every time. They don't seem to get blown around like the touring barges to me. Admittedly, my experience of tourers are Harley and my old R100RT, though. <shrug>

* Chuck is right, the Centauro GT is pretty good on the interstate and in light crosswinds... :thumb:

* At 871 pounds, with a long wheelbase and 25" seat height), "The White Whale", (Victory Vision), does not move an inch... :wink:

* The WORST bike I ever owned for strong crosswinds was my Triumph Sprint GT.  It must have been the fairing design or something, because it sometimes felt downright dangerous...and scared me more than a few times!! :rolleyes: :shocked:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 07:47:13 AM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2021, 08:36:36 AM »
The Norge doesn't like strong crosswinds or semis. My T-3 is much better in those conditions.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2021, 08:40:50 AM »
The Norge doesn't like strong crosswinds or semis. My T-3 is much better in those conditions.
GliderJohn

The T-3 has a low center of gravity...I believe this helps A LOT! :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2021, 08:54:48 AM »

More than a decade ago IIRC Jenn and I headed out to a bike gathering in mid-Ohio only to start by riding straight into a tropical storm.

That same storm was followed by (or caused) a wind storm that wound up knocking out power from mid-Ohio to Pittsburgh.

We rode in both storm and my Breva 1100 was getting blown around the road ridiculously (and the B11 is normally a pretty solid mount in a lot of crosswinds). There were points in the wind storm where I was blown clear across the lane from one side to the other, almost into the next lane. Jenn was relatively unscathed on the lower profile and slightly heavier 1200 Sportster.

Back a decade before that I had three bikes in the garage - a Luftmeister fairing R80/7, an R1100RSa, and an EVO RK.

Two had to go and I decided to keep ONE, the  R1100RSa because:

* It had the lowest miles (by 10's of thousands)
* It had ABS

But I failed to consider WHY it had the lowest miles. Despite lower weight and having ABS it had a taller center of gravity and was much less confidence inspiring in foul weather from rain to anything with wind. Though a good highway bike, it was crap compared to the King in crosswinds.

There are a lot of components to making a good highway bike, and weight is not the only one, but center of gravity, profile, bodywork, even I think suspension plays a part.

It's not surprising that a lot of people don't realize there are multiple factors, or concentrate too much on one.

But my jumbo-sized RK is definitely A MUCH MUCH better bike for highway comfort (including crosswinds and buffeting) than my smallblocks.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2021, 11:20:16 AM »
Can't say yet, but about to try on our Defender with the Ducati.

NJ Nick carries his Aprilia on one and seems happy with it.

So fingers crossed.

I'm about to order myself one. I sure I can get the little T7 loaded pretty easy.  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here