Author Topic: "Is that small bike stable on the interstate?  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: "Is that small bike stable on the interstate?
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2021, 02:32:08 PM »
What were we talking about just a month ago ? A very territorial critter ?

Dusty

Ha ha, oh yeah him lol. I think he would wheelie the Rover lol.  :grin:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:32:26 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline centauro

• Gosling
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »
Nice set-up.  Does the bike have a much of a rear wheel weight bias?  Looks like it is not evenly placed left to right.

At 100 lbs for the rack, I wouldn't want more than 400 lbs of bike on there behind my truck.

My lightweight rack does well for the van van and KLX, but not sure I'd put anything heavier even though it is rated for 400 lbs.

picture hosting sites

I added the LED lights for extra visibility.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2021, 06:56:57 AM »
Nice set-up.  Does the bike have a much of a rear wheel weight bias?  Looks like it is not evenly placed left to right.

At 100 lbs for the rack, I wouldn't want more than 400 lbs of bike on there behind my truck.

My lightweight rack does well for the van van and KLX, but not sure I'd put anything heavier even though it is rated for 400 lbs.

No idea about weight bias on the Duc.

And yes it's offset to the left. That's the default position of the wheel chock.

I could change it, but it would mean the pivot would foul the LED trailer lights I added forcing them to be off center or otherwise relocated, plus it would put the handlebar closer to the tire, and might make loading harder as we already have to lean it towards us to get around the spare.

Also it might set the slightly longer V7s back further if/when we carry them (though their wheelbase is the same too, so might be fine).

But more importantly by my observation for hundreds of miles riding behind it, and Jenn's report after two nearly 400 mile days, it has zero noticeable effect on the LR.

Between the weight of the SUV and the air suspension that leveled it front-to-rear there was no noticeable difference in ride or handling and it did not appear to lean in appreciable way.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:16:17 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2021, 06:56:57 AM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2021, 07:37:35 AM »
 :thumb: As long as it works for you.

I analyze everything since that is part of my job. I would have weighed each end of the bike at the contact point, then adjusted the wheel chock to have a balanced load on the rack. I would figure it out for each bike and moved the chock where needed for each.

I go to the public scales every time I change the trailer configuration. I discovered that the lighter Van Van needed to be in front of the heavier V7 to not have too much tongue weight.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2021, 07:52:38 AM »
:thumb: As long as it works for you.

I analyze everything since that is part of my job. I would have weighed each end of the bike at the contact point, then adjusted the wheel chock to have a balanced load on the rack. I would figure it out for each bike and moved the chock where needed for each.

I go to the public scales every time I change the trailer configuration. I discovered that the lighter Van Van needed to be in front of the heavier V7 to not have too much tongue weight.

And I thought I over-analyzed shyte?  :grin: :wink:

You're not wrong of course, but I just didn't bother thinking it through that much.

I thought about the wheel chock when I assembled it but figured I'd put in the default position and test it. When it tested fine I stopped thinking about it.

I can always move it, but there doesn't seem to be any "need."

Though I do kinda wonder how the twisting force translates to the draw bar/hitch?

But then again, as I said the spare tire complicates things. I would worry we'd have problems getting it into the wheel chock because the bike might still be leaned back for the handlebar to clear the spare as the tire entered the chock.

Not gonna worry about it for how little we plan on using it (occasional trip or service run or recovery, meaning probably 1-2 times a year at most).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:04:11 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2021, 08:27:35 PM »
I present to you..."Moby Dick"...my 2014 Victory Vision.....aka, The Great White Whale....871 pounds....45-47 MPG....25 inches seat height....and in 6th gear at 80 mph...it is the ultimate cruiser! :thumb: :bow: :boozing: :cool:

famous poem about grief

You are gonna fall over when you see me at Datil...
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2021, 08:30:06 PM »
I have been thinking about getting one of these KENDON stand-up MC trailers... :thumb: :boozing: :cool:

I had one once, sold it. Now I'm looking to buy one again. They are great. I would suggest the ride-on option (better ramp, etc). Consider whether the factory chock suits the bikes you will carry or if you need an alternative.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here