Author Topic: New owner problem  (Read 12216 times)

Offline kramer921

• New Egg
    • Vimeo
New owner problem
« on: May 10, 2015, 05:58:04 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been reading the board off and on for about a year now and finally decided last week to take the plunge and get a V7 Racer.  It was great for 70 miles and, not being mechanically inclined, I then made a series of idiotic moves that have led to a problem.

I felt that the dealer, Fast by Ferracci, had set the clutch cable up to engage too quickly, so I attempted to adjust it at the lever.  Before pulling up the rubber cover on the actual clutch cable adjustment, I just assumed the other cable going into the controls was the one to adjust.  After turning it, the bike would immediately stall as soon as I would shift into first, so I tried to turn it back and, I suppose because it's such a tight fit in there, I wound up stripping it.  My last resort to get it to turn was to use a small circulating saw to dig a groove in to it that I could try to turn with a screw driver.  That worked, but the gold piece wound up splitting.  I was then able to turn that cable again and somehow, I got the bike to go into first without stalling.

...I then tried to turn it a little more because I couldn't leave well enough alone, and the bike is now stalling again.  I tried turning this cable in both directions to no avail, I've tried adjusting the actual clutch adjustment, and nothing seems to get the bike to keep running when shifting now.  Needless to say, I feel like a dope having a bike with 70 miles on it that won't run.

This is where I'm at now:

https://flic.kr/p/sofHyU

So I'm hoping someone can help answer a few questions for me:

1. What is this cable?

2. Why's it causing the bike to stall when shifting into first?

3. Is there something simple that I could do to fix it?

4. And if not, is it a big (meaning expensive) job for the dealer?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot guys.

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New owner problem
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »
The 'cable' you broke is the clutch switch. If you want to start the bike with the transmission in gear you gotta pull the lever in to allow it to start. Should not be too expensive for the dealer to fix. I doubt the switch is in stock though.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:08:05 PM by twhitaker »
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Vasco DG

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 06:11:39 PM »
Good grief.

Hopefully a new switch will fix it. I suggest you don't try and fit it yourself.

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »
Shooting from the hip, I'd call that something like...

-Clutch Safety Switch?
   -Frustration Enhancement Device?
   -More Arrogant German Engineering?

It's job is to not allow you to start the bike without (a) both hands on the bars, and (b) the clutch disengaged.

If it is either damaged (which appears to be the case) or poorly adjusted, yeah, I can see how it would cause the bike to stall.

No, it is not a big ticket item. Take it to your local Guzzi dealer and have them fix it. Might consider asking them to run through the bike, tune it up, whatever.

Lateness.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 06:17:44 PM »
Take it back to FBF, admit what you did, and pay the price.  Live and learn.

Where are you located?

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline kramer921

• New Egg
    • Vimeo
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
Okay, thanks so much for the fast replies, everyone.  I'll give the dealer a call on Tuesday and see what they can do.

Other than this bonehead move on my part, I've been loving the bike.  I've owned a Stella scooter and Royal Enfield Bullet previously and, being in a similar market, I have to say that the Guzzi is so much nicer than the Bullet.

I'm located in Philly (Fishtown), Cam.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »
Okay, thanks so much for the fast replies, everyone.  I'll give the dealer a call on Tuesday and see what they can do.

Other than this bonehead move on my part, I've been loving the bike.  I've owned a Stella scooter and Royal Enfield Bullet previously and, being in a similar market, I have to say that the Guzzi is so much nicer than the Bullet.

I'm located in Philly (Fishtown), Cam.

Join our NJ Guzzi forum and come across the river to meet, eat and ride with us.

http://mgnocnj.forumcircle.com/index.php

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Bill Hagan

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 06:27:17 PM »
It's personally refreshing to read such posts, as I thought only I capable of such things.

As others note, all will be well.

BTW, interesting flickr album! Id, however, note a previous clutch caper, albeit with a Mustang.   ;D

Best,

Bill

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 06:29:40 PM »
It's personally refreshing to read such posts, as I thought only I capable of such things.

As others note, all will be well.

BTW, interesting flickr album! Id, however, note a previous clutch caper, albeit with a Mustang.   ;D

Best,

Bill

Clutches, they torment us.

Lateness.

Offline kramer921

• New Egg
    • Vimeo
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 06:36:27 PM »
Will do, Cam!  Thanks for the invite.

And haha, yeah, wrenching isn't my forte, Bill, despite how much I'd like it to be.  That's why I sold the Mustang in that album (miss it dearly, though), am in the process of selling my old BMW airhead, and decided to buy a new bike again, thinking I'd be doing nothing but fluid changes and valve adjustments from here on out.  I've proven myself wrong.

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 06:45:47 PM »
 Who set up the flat slide carbs on the R90 ?

Dusty

Offline kramer921

• New Egg
    • Vimeo
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
Almost all of the work on that bike was done by the previous owner out in California, Dusty. 

moss

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 02:28:33 AM »
Hey Joe! I was wondering who bought the V7 racer. You must've purchased your bike shortly after me. Sounds like Ferracci set your clutch up just like they did mine (in other words they didn't). Sorry to hear that you're having issues with it. I took mine in this past weekend to have it adjusted as I'm not mechanically inclined either :)

How do you like the racer otherwise? Did you deal with Hoak or someone else when you made your purchase?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 06:45:47 AM »
Oooops, sorry to hear about the mishap. Don't beat yourself up too much, it shouldn't be a difficult fix and I'm sure FBF will take care of you.

And if it makes you feel any better that's at least the 4th bike I know of (including my own and their first Stone demo) that they didn't bother setting up the clutch properly (or maybe they have a guy who thinks THAT is proper, setting it up to some freeplay spec but not test riding it after?).

Oh, congrats on the bike, we've got a regular V7 posse forming around here. Yeah, make it out to a NJ group event.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kramer921

• New Egg
    • Vimeo
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 07:39:08 AM »
Hey guys, that's good to hear.  If they've already dealt with multiple customers with improper clutch set-ups, I'm wondering why they haven't bothered to just start setting it up properly.

I'm otherwise really happy with the bike, Moss.  I've ridden a decent amount of bikes and the V7 is the best thus far in a lot of ways.  I love that it's really torquey, so light and nimble (I love my old airhead, but it's just a little too big for me, particularly because I regularly ride two-up), the suspension's great, and with a few cosmetic mods and, from what I've read, Mistral pipes, it'll look and sound great.  I'm just waiting for the damn dual-seat kit, which is on back order, to be able to really take advantage of it every day.  If you're right by Philly, let me know if you ever want to go on a ride with me and some buddies of mine.

And yeah, Kev, I'll definitely try to make it out to the NJ ride.  I just signed up for the board.  Where do you guys typically meet up?

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.  This is a much friendlier board than most I've seen.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 08:19:21 AM »
Hey guys, that's good to hear.  If they've already dealt with multiple customers with improper clutch set-ups, I'm wondering why they haven't bothered to just start setting it up properly.

Probably because most of us just fix it ourselves. I was the first person to ride their 2013 Stone Demo (I had one on order at the time and ran down there as soon as Jim called to tell me it was available). It literally had like a mile on the odo at the time. Anyway, I didn't get a mile from the shop before I pulled over and adjusted the cable at the grip so that it could physically release the clutch all the way when pulled in. Otherwise it was IMPOSSIBLE to get into neutral and damn hard to get into first. I think I literally shut the motor off with it in gear if I remember because I couldn't get it into neutral otherwise.

Anyway, I similarly adjusted mine right away...so that was two they never really heard about.

I'm sure there were a ton of others.

And yeah, Kev, I'll definitely try to make it out to the NJ ride.  I just signed up for the board.  Where do you guys typically meet up?

Cam is in charge of it, he pics different places each month, sometimes North Jersey, sometimes South or Mid...

I think at least a couple of times a season up around the Delaware river somewhere across from New Hope or so.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »
Congrats on the bike!

I just got mine which was also a demo, but seems to be set up properly as I had no issues so far.

I would be interested in NJ tide as well!

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
Oooops, sorry to hear about the mishap. Don't beat yourself up too much, it shouldn't be a difficult fix and I'm sure FBF will take care of you.

And if it makes you feel any better that's at least the 4th bike I know of (including my own and their first Stone demo) that they didn't bother setting up the clutch properly (or maybe they have a guy who thinks THAT is proper, setting it up to some freeplay spec but not test riding it after?).

Oh, congrats on the bike, we've got a regular V7 posse forming around here. Yeah, make it out to a NJ group event.

I need to get out there on my V7R and meet up with you all one of thees days.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 10:56:37 AM »
I need to get out there on my V7R and meet up with you all one of thees days.

Yup!  :bike
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »
The Virginia rally is only about 6 weeks away.  You PA folks can easily make that!

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline kevinkaren2011

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »
Don't worry about it Kramer we all had our boo-boos.

Clutches is like shoe laces, it depends on the operator on how they want it.

Karen

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »
The Virginia rally is only about 6 weeks away.  You PA folks can easily make that!

Peter Y.

Distance is no problem... but sadly time still is (baby boy just turned 1 and he, along with the 3 y/o still keep us anchored around here a good bit). Another year for me...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

jlburgess

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 03:58:51 PM »
I don't think those Ferracci guys know what they are doing!
Best regards.
Doug Polen
 ::)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:00:36 PM by jlburgess »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: New owner problem
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
I don't think those Ferracci guys know what they are doing!
Best regards.
Doug Polen
 ::)
They may be brilliant with a Ducati on the racetrack... Or maybe a camshaft... Or a horseshoe... But they're  "Shyte with Armor" (relatively vague movie reference).

Substitute "customer service" or "basic setup and maintenance" for "armor".

The one time I trusted them to try and tackle a warranty issue pinging problem on my Breva 1100 they insisted on performing a basic service and resetting the valves. The bike still pinged and when I went to check the valves next time the valve cover gaskets (which previously I'd oiled and reused without fault) had been replaced dry and had been cooked into the heads requiring hours of scraping with a razor blade to remove...

They're like a brilliant cardiac surgeon who could save a man on death's door but would likely kill a man with appendicitis.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
If you insist on tinkering with your bike. spring for the bucks and get a manual. Until you do though....step away from the bike. 
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline kramer921

• New Egg
    • Vimeo
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
Well guys, figured I'd update all of you and let you know that it turns out there was never anything wrong with the bike.  Never having ridden a truly modern bike, I simply didn't realize there was a safety feature that killed the engine if the bike was put in gear with the side stand down.  D'oh.  

So all is well.  Bike's running, I've now properly adjusted the clutch, and I've avoided a tow to the dealer.

Thanks for all of your helpful replies.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:37:31 PM by kramer921 »

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »
Will all the WildGuzzi members who have NOT had their side stand switch prevent their bike from doing its thing please affirm by saying, "Aye."  ;D (Guilty as charged, your honor.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:21:56 PM by twhitaker »
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Penderic

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 02:24:24 PM »
Next.

The Kill Switch.

Chapter One.

:D

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:31:59 PM by Penderic »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 03:00:04 PM »
Well guys, figured I'd update all of you and let you know that it turns out there was never anything wrong with the bike.  Never having ridden a truly modern bike, I simply didn't realize there was a safety feature that killed the engine if the bike was put in gear with the side stand down.  D'oh.  

So all is well.  Bike's running, I've now properly adjusted the clutch, and I've avoided a tow to the dealer.

Thanks for all of your helpful replies.

HA HA ... I totally was wondering if that could be the case, but I figured if you were letting the clutch out you mean you were astride it trying to pull away or were in neutral...

No harm, no foul...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline JProdun

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 06:40:35 PM »
Coming from a TU250Riders forum, this was almost always the first suggestion to a similar problem :)

No biggie.

Happened to me this Sunday. Fortunately i knew what caused it because as I said, i had a TU as my first bike :)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here