Author Topic: Guzzi, why smaller??  (Read 15319 times)

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
Guzzi, why smaller??
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:08:08 PM »
I had an opportunity to take one of the "small block" 750's out for a test ride at the Western NY Rally. I was IMPRESSED. The difference in weight from my EV was immediately noticeable. The bike was quick, pulled strongly and fit me much better than my EV did when it still had the stock bars & seat. But why oh why did they make it physically smaller?? I'm a big guy, but bad joints etc. are making moving the EV around more & more of a challenge. I have absolutely no interest in the new 1400, being 150 lbs HEAVIER than my EV.
The 750, w/ a slightly longer wheelbase & a seat long enough to comfortably carry 2 adults would make a very appealing package. How about it Piaggio/Guzzi, build us a 750cc "blue hiway tourer". 30L hard bags, a lightweight shield similar to the aerofoil I have on the EV. Tubeless tire wheels. The 5.8 gallon fuel tank is perfect. Almost a "parts bin special"
ronkom 
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Guzzi, why smaller??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:41:27 PM »
 :thumb:

I agree. That's why I want an 850-ish in the line up.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
But why oh why did they make it physically smaller??

It's the evolution of a bike that was always physically small, they didn't "make it physically smaller".
Charlie

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:21:49 PM »
V7 NTX please......
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:21:49 PM »

Penderic

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:30:41 PM »
Marketing I figure. Smaller is lighter and stuffing the biggest motor into the smallest package is the way most manufacturers get performance. And all the bikes I see nowadays in the showrooms seem to be either really big barges, or insect like sport bikes (all look the same size but with vastly different engine sizes), and various scale models of off-road bikes.

Smaller is cheaper and easier to sell to cheap guys or new, younger, riders with limited choices.

I was quite surprised at the new Honda CB1100 retro bike looks. It is nicely made, looks great sitting there, but up close, the bike is surprisingly small and the engine looks way too big and bulky for the frame ... to my eyes anyways.  :shocked:

The new BMW 9T is another physically small bike with a big motor.

But you're right about the appeal,(to us experienced, road wise, intelligent riders), of a capable light bike with a good wheelbase for touring and ergos good for hours of riding and for stretching out and changing positions. I really like my little V7C for those exact reasons - stable, capable and with a set of lower footpegs, it is almost as comfortable as my Goldwing and much much MUCH more enjoyable than my sport touring ST1100 Honda!

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:04:49 PM »
Ron,  I find the Breva does that for me brilliantly.

I have never (weeeeell, maybe just a leeeetle) hankered for a big block.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:33:51 PM »
There's a reason, Muzz, that it's hard to find cheap secondhand Brevas & V7s in NZ, they do suit the roads over  there so perfectly. Once you have one, you're not going to let it go. Don't do so badly over the ditch either.

So I got myself another one

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »
Nice!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

True about the roads suiting the Breva.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 07:58:24 AM »
The 750, w/ a slightly longer wheelbase & a seat long enough to comfortably carry 2 adults would make a very appealing package. How about it Piaggio/Guzzi, build us a 750cc "blue hiway tourer". 30L hard bags, a lightweight shield similar to the aerofoil I have on the EV. Tubeless tire wheels. The 5.8 gallon fuel tank is perfect. Almost a "parts bin special"
ronkom 

Honda has tried that formula.  And Beemer is still trying.

The NT700 (Deauvulle).  Had a good run in Europe but flopped in the US.  It was still a bit heavy bot good for long distances.  A lot of them are being ridden by people whose knees won't support a heavier bike (like an FJR).

Beemer has the F800GT.  Expensive and buzzes.  If it weren't for the buzzing I'd have one right now.

Meanwhile the FJR's and Connie's sell well.  Heavier and fast.

Me?  I had the Honda.  Good bike but not great at anything.  I 'upgraded' my T5 and sold the Honda.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 08:10:28 AM »
OK. I'll jump in.  Had a Baby Breva, served me well, but I sold it.  What do I miss, that wonderful sound, amazing saddle, all the attention it gets, light weight.  Why I sold it, fell in love with a BMW F800ST, light weight, much better suspension stock then the Breva will ever be with every add on, trust me I spent the money, better MPG, instruments, six speeds,ABS and POWER.  It lacks soul, sounds like a sewing machine with a bearing issue, saddle sucks, buzzy only at 5k RPM which is very easy to avoid, and its a newer BMW.  No bike is perfect, light weight tourers are hard to find, perhaps a Triumph Tiger 800?  I'm looking for a Norge, but really don't need the 1200 and the weight.  Light weight tourers are like small station wagons or hatchbacks  with manual transmissions.  Only enthusiasts want them, no one buys them, and hence we never see them in the States.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 08:15:15 AM »
Is it just me, but I just don't see the smallblock line as 2-up bikes (yeah, yeah, I know, you can do nearly anything with any bike if you try hard enough).

Maybe it's BECAUSE of the physical size, like you're saying.

But at the same time, if you increase the size, you're going to increase the weight, there's just no way around that.

At one point do you get the size where you want it and realize that the weight is approaching the Tonti Cali and the smallblock powertrain is now insufficient?

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 08:32:58 AM »
Light weight tourers are like small station wagons or hatchbacks  with manual transmissions.  Only enthusiasts want them, no one buys them, and hence we never see them in the States.

:1:

I like both.   In fact, my wife and I have a wagon and a hatchback, both with manual transmissions.

And, I have a light sport tourer (VFR800 -- a little heavier than the F800GT, but, not by that much, and not buzzy at any RPM).

Is it just me, but I just don't see the smallblock line as 2-up bikes (yeah, yeah, I know, you can do nearly anything with any bike if you try hard enough).

Maybe it's BECAUSE of the physical size, like you're saying.

I spent the money on the two up kit for my V7R only to find this out.    There is definitely not enough room to comfortably 2-up on the V7, even with my 9 (now 10) year old daughter.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:34:56 AM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 09:21:35 AM »
But you're right about the appeal,(to us experienced, road wise, intelligent riders), of a capable light bike with a good wheelbase for touring and ergos good for hours of riding.....

Yes, this is what I am looking for.  The Stelvio meets my long distance touring needs very well but I'm concerned about the weight and my continuing capability to handle it safely.  At present I'm expecting to keep it through next year ('16) so I can attend the National in John Day, OR plus the other two rallies out there (Washington and Idaho) as part of the same trip.

After that I'll be looking at the V7 II, hoping to take advantage of the increased seat-to-foot peg distance, probably in addition to some lowered pegs.  My concern is the increased bend in the knees on the smaller bike.  I'm currently doing Yoga three days a week to try and maintain/improve my flexibility.  I think it's helping.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 09:33:23 AM »
I'm currently doing Yoga three days a week to try and maintain/improve my flexibility.  I think it's helping.
:thumb:
Here's my downsized touring bike. The longest day Dorcia and I have spent is 250 miles, but she isn't a "big" girl.. 5'8" though. It's doable, and I'm comfortable on it on trips. Everyone is built differently, though, so it probably wouldn't work for someone with arthritic knees.

Ron, I think that Guzzi is working on an 8-900 cc bike as we speak. Supposedly. Maybe.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
I had an opportunity to take one of the "small block" 750's out for a test ride at the Western NY Rally. I was IMPRESSED. The difference in weight from my EV was immediately noticeable. The bike was quick, pulled strongly and fit me much better than my EV did when it still had the stock bars & seat. But why oh why did they make it physically smaller?? I'm a big guy, but bad joints etc. are making moving the EV around more & more of a challenge. I have absolutely no interest in the new 1400, being 150 lbs HEAVIER than my EV.
ronkom

You mean like this?

:evil:

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 09:34:55 AM »
 My Buell Ulysses only has a 54" fits two up fine. So it is possible to make a smaller bike for two. Just don't whack the gas with your wife abroad.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
You mean like this?

:evil:

-AJ

Bellagio?

My Buell Ulysses only has a 54" fits two up fine. So it is possible to make a smaller bike for two. Just don't whack the gas with your wife abroad.

54" of what? Wheelbase?

My S3T had only 55" and seemed to have more than enough room for 2-up. Of course, wheelbase wasn't the determining factor, as actual length was greater than the overall length of my 57" wheelbase V7.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »
Nope.  Can't do it.  Can't tour on that little ole bitty V7 Classic.

Threads like this make me laugh.  A bike with a 57-inch wheelbase, 31-inch seat height, and over 400-lbs weight being called "small".
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »
Bellagio?

54" of what? Wheelbase?

My S3T had only 55" and seemed to have more than enough room for 2-up. Of course, wheelbase wasn't the determining factor, as actual length was greater than the overall length of my 57" wheelbase V7.

Sorry wheel base.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 10:07:33 AM »
Nope.  Can't do it.  Can't tour on that little ole bitty V7 Classic.

Threads like this make me laugh.  A bike with a 57-inch wheelbase, 31-inch seat height, and over 400-lbs weight being called "small".

Look, I know you guys went for ice cream or coffee on yours.

But how many times did you load it up with gear and go somewhere 2-up on it for a week?

I'm guessing NONE? Right?

Yes, it IS small - from a lot of perspectives.

I think I chose to pick my eldest up from high school on mine maybe ONCE before I realized the SPORTSTER was a much better 2-up bike.

I love my V7, I've taken some decent trips on it, SOLO... 2-up on it would be a non-starter for me.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »
Look, I know you guys went for ice cream or coffee on yours.

But how many times did you load it up with gear and go somewhere 2-up on it for a week?

I'm guessing NONE? Right?

Yes, it IS small - from a lot of perspectives.

That photo was taken while on a 150-mile lunch ride.  With the H+B bags, we could easily have stayed overnight somewhere, if we'd been on a weekender.  150 to 200 miles is pretty typical for lunch and dinner rides for us. 

I did use the bike a lot for around-town and commuting to work, but it could easily do overnighters for us, if we'd wanted to.  And, it could do longer rides 2-up for those of us who pack nylon underwear and such...

Week-long trips 2-up, and I'm looking for something that can pull the fridge.  Travelling light sucks.

So, you're right about that.  The V7C wouldn't have worked for our typical week-long trips to Colorado or New Mexico.  It just didn't have enough umph to pull the trailer along.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »
Kev, the Aero Lario has *plenty* of power two up with the HBs packed. We used to travel with the Centauro with the same setup. Dorcia's long day in the saddle days are over, though.. :sad:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 10:57:21 AM »
For me, I don't really like riding 2-up in the first place, unless I have to.

I'm happy to take my daughter someplace, or 2-up with Jenn in order to go pick-up or drop off a vehicle.

But that's about the extent of it.

The one time I crossed the country coast-to-coast 2-up was on a Road King, if I HAVE to do it, that's the way I want to, but even then I came home solo that same trip and I'd rather do that from a riding perspective, even on an RK.

So you can understand when I say, as much as I love my V7, I just do NOT see "touring" 2-up on it, or actually going any real distance 2-up... 150 miles would be too much, I'd be too uncomfortable looking for some room.

Chuck - it really doesn't have anything to do with power for me. It's the ability to move around a bit, be comfortable.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:57:41 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »
Ron, I think that Guzzi is working on an 8-900 cc bike as we speak. Supposedly. Maybe.  :smiley:
It seems your will not be the only hemi SB bike in the world for much longer... Supposedly... Maybe... :wink:

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 11:26:12 AM »
It seems your will not be the only hemi SB bike in the world for much longer... Supposedly... Maybe... :wink:

Is more info leaking out about the new model to be shown in November?

Small Block vs. Big Block ?

I've been hoping for a short-stroke big block, but I guess an updated and enlarged small block might be interesting.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »
Is more info leaking out about the new model to be shown in November?
They are still rumors, but they are pointing towards a 850cc SB with 2V hemi heads.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:48:28 PM by Dogwalker »

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »
They are stil rumors, but they are pointing towards a 850cc SB with 2V hemi heads.

That would be fantastic.    I've been thinking about selling the Racer and getting a Stone or Special.   An 850cc 2V hemi small block would be my dream V7 III.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 12:25:18 PM »
Aside from vertical goons who don't fit, almost all a "small block" needs is heads from the current millennium or even the last quarter of the previous one.

I mean, my God, talk 'bout not "Gettin' a clue"! They'll likely fiddle fart around and do it one or two years before some level of emissions requires them to finally drop air cooling altogether in a classic: "Too Little, Too Late gambit.

Side by side, a v7 isn't as diminutive as one would think compared to what we used to hit the open highway with before being infused with a sense of entitlement as to no compromises whatsoever.

I don't have one but were the Sportster to go south, I should think I'd be looking at a v7.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 12:47:43 PM »

That would be *great* news if it comes to fruition... Supposedly...Maybe. :cheesy: :boozing:
That would get me rummaging around in the couch cushions looking for something to buy it with.. :cool: :evil:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
Aside from vertical goons who don't fit, almost all a "small block" needs is heads from the current millennium or even the last quarter of the previous one.

I mean, my God, talk 'bout not "Gettin' a clue"! They'll likely fiddle fart around and do it one or two years before some level of emissions requires them to finally drop air cooling altogether in a classic: "Too Little, Too Late gambit.

Side by side, a v7 isn't as diminutive as one would think compared to what we used to hit the open highway with before being infused with a sense of entitlement as to no compromises whatsoever.

I don't have one but were the Sportster to go south, I should think I'd be looking at a v7.

Todd.

For perspective.

The V7 is roughly to the Sportster as the Sportster is to the Road King

V7 / Sportster / RK

Wet Weight - 444 / 585 / 814
Wheelbase - 57" / 60" / 64"
Length - 86" / 90" / 96.5"

And I should say, my old EVO RK was closer in dimension still:

V7 / Sportster / EVO RK

Wet Weight - 444 / 585 / 716
Wheelbase - 57" / 60" / 63"
Length - 86" / 90" / 94"

Or another way to look at it, V7 / Tonti California

Wet Weight - 444 / 572-616 (Jackal-Cal-Vin)
Wheelbase - 57" / 61.4"
Length - 86" / 92.7-93.7

You'll notice that most of the Cali dimensions are very close to the Sporty, except it's got a couple more inches in overall length.

When I first discovered the Stone Touring (and shortly thereafter bought my Jackal) it was because of the similarities between it in most dimensions (except weight) and my old EVO RK. I called my Jackal a "baby RK" for many years, it was only about 100# lighter, with about 1.6" less wheelbase, and only 1.3" less length.

Anyway you look at it the Smallblock is just plain SMALLER...

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:04:27 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here