Author Topic: 3 Sons of Bitches I'd love to meet  (Read 14145 times)

Penderic

Re: 3 Sons of Bitches I'd love to meet
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
We have those loop controlled left turn traffic signals that car detect cars but not motorcycles.

How long do I have to wait for the dam lights to change?

HardAspie

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »
Quote from Lannis

The worst cussing I ever do is when I'm faced with the result of some mindless "DOT" engineer who has done something really stupid and dangerous on a highway, starting with the list above but going on and on.

They must get the dregs of people who couldn't make it in any other kind of engineering so go to the government where there's no accountability for doing the job right ....

Watching an enormous number of workers "rebuilding" one lane of a bridge month after month when I was commuting ... I never saw 70% of them do ANYTHING except smoke and joke ....

Yeah, I have seen this sort of thing. In Flagstaff they spent several million dollars to take a bad intersection and make it several times more confusing. In Irvine California they spent millions to landscape one of those concrete overpasses with exposed dirt. They put millions of dollars of flowers on the dirt about eight months before the bridge was scheduled to be demolished to widen the freeway under it.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »
Watching an enormous number of workers "rebuilding" one lane of a bridge month after month when I was commuting ... I never saw 70% of them do ANYTHING except smoke and joke ....

Lannis

But those hourly workers are getting paid by the contractor who bid the job.  The contractor is paying them to stand around.

The State is paying the contractor by the job, not by the hour.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »
But those hourly workers are getting paid by the contractor who bid the job.  The contractor is paying them to stand around.

The State is paying the contractor by the job, not by the hour.

THAT'S no comfort!     :cool:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »
I don't care for 3-way stops...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 04:59:49 PM »
I don't care for 3-way stops...

OR the three-lane highways like US11 used to be in the lower Shenandoah Valley.   Three lanes with white dotted lines on all three of them.   The middle one was a passing lane for BOTH sides.   I suppose if you wanted to pass a car that was already ahead of you in the middle lane, you could go to the far left lane to pass .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 05:08:17 PM »
Want to see how highway engineers learn their business?  Go to an engineering school and take a look at the end of year projects submitted by the students.  They look like art design projects. 

I think the traffic engineers, and the politicians who hire them, should be forced to drive through their efforts every day during rush hour.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 08:33:17 PM »
There are still people out there, lots of them, who do not know you can turn right on red........don't get me started.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

HardAspie

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 08:38:21 PM »
I've been an architect. A rare one who can do engineering too. Yhe number of plans that clients have brought to me to modify to meet code is amazing. My saying has been: "Not only were these plans drawn by  a high school class; it was the drama class."

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 09:18:27 PM »
Yeah.  That describes a "delayed green".  Meaning the oncoming traffic would have a delayed green, allowing you to turn left before they got the green.  It used to be set to something like 5-seconds here.  But, there was always a sign on the light post that noted delayed green.  Funny that yours didn't have the sign.

Mason City, IA has one signal with that sort of delayed green, except it is Green for one direction of the side street for about 30 or 40 seconds, then that side goes red and the opposite side goes green.  It's just as though the left turn lane has a green arrow in function.  There is no sign indicating the unusual situation.  Maybe the plans included the green arrow but the electricians didn't notice it?  anyhow, it is common for the first car in the left turn lane to sit, waiting for the oncoming cars to go through so they can turn left without being run over, then they begin to edge out and sometimes only the one car gets through on the green.
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

canuguzzi

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »
There are still people out there, lots of them, who do not know you can turn right on red........don't get me started.

And there are just as many who knowing they can make the turn on a red, do so without even bothering to slow down.

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 08:11:53 AM »
And there are just as many who knowing they can make the turn on a red, do so without even bothering to slow down.

Ya...the same ones who can't read the sign that says "No Turn On Red".
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
Specific problems with New Google Maps
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »
I use Google Maps all the time, every day.  Works fine.

The smart phone app is limited, but using Google Maps on a computer is no problem.

What problems are you having?

Hi Rocker59, thanks for your interest.

The top 5 complaints are:
Limited number of waypoints
Uncontrollable autozoom and re-centering after every waypoint entry
lack of waypoint editing and route 'clean-up' tools
sluggish screen pans and moving the map on the screen. 
no automatic re-centering when using 'right-click' + zoom

Without looking for nits to pick, I could name more, this product is no longer a good choice.

If all one wants to do is to select Seattle, WA as the start and Portland, OR as the destination, the new version is ok (use of lower case letters is intentional).  However, for an advancer user trying to put together complicated forest rides on small country roads, the earlier version was far superior.

Ciao,
Dick Casey

84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Offline Francis

• New Egg
  • canuckian
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »
Try this

works well   http://app.eatsleepride.com/
TOMORROW
(noun)
a mystical land where 99% of all human productivity ,motivation and achievement is stored.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:02 AM »
Try this

works well   http://app.eatsleepride.com/

Looks like it's still being developed for Android
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Bill Hagan

Re: Specific problems with New Google Maps
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »
Hi Rocker59, thanks for your interest.

The top 5 complaints are:
Limited number of waypoints
Uncontrollable autozoom and re-centering after every waypoint entry
lack of waypoint editing and route 'clean-up' tools
sluggish screen pans and moving the map on the screen. 
no automatic re-centering when using 'right-click' + zoom

Without looking for nits to pick, I could name more, this product is no longer a good choice.

If all one wants to do is to select Seattle, WA as the start and Portland, OR as the destination, the new version is ok (use of lower case letters is intentional).  However, for an advancer user trying to put together complicated forest rides on small country roads, the earlier version was far superior.

Ciao,
Dick Casey

Will look into that eatsleepride thing (thanks, Francis), but -- in addition to those "improvements" that Dick lists -- my biggest beef with GMaps just now is that one cannot plan a route in "terrain."  At least I can't figure out how. :rolleyes:  Really miss that.  :cry:

Bill

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
I hadn't noticed the route point limit -- looks like it's about a dozen points?

My main objection was that each thing you do adds another browser history item, so when you go to look amongst your history for the day it's filled with a truckload of map actions.  I'm working around that by using a different browser (Chrome) for maps, so my history for ordinary browsing is unaffected.  Beyond that, it's just a more awkward UI with nothing of value added that I noticed.

Offline Larry

• Gosling
  • Escape Reality At Any Cost I Say
    • Melbourne West Church
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »
Really disappointed in the New Google Maps.
The most annoying thing is the removal of the 'OPTIONS' menu. In unknown cities/countries etc I like to be able to miss 'Toll Roads' and 'Motorways' which the Options menu enabled me to do. NOW it routes me through Toll Roads every time.
Not Happy!
2002 Stone 1100 - Gone
2005 Breva 1100 - Gone
2012 Stelvio 1200 8V ABS - Gone
2013 Sport 1200 8V ABS - Current

Offline homebrew

• New Egg
  • New rider
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
The most annoying thing is the removal of the 'OPTIONS' menu. In unknown cities/countries etc I like to be able to miss 'Toll Roads' and 'Motorways' which the Options menu enabled me to do. NOW it routes me through Toll Roads every time.
Not Happy!
Mine is that Google doesn't have a sense of "on the way."  Like, you've got a route and you can't look for gas stations without backing out of navigation and even then it centers the map on where you are and gives you all the gas stations.  I don't care about the gas station a mile back the other direction!  I want a gas station/diner/campground/whatever which is "on the way" to where I'm going and I don't want to go in and out of navigation to do it.  I had a hand-held Garmin that did that in something like 2002?  Why can't Google do it a decade and change later?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »
Will look into that eatsleepride thing (thanks, Francis), but -- in addition to those "improvements" that Dick lists -- my biggest beef with GMaps just now is that one cannot plan a route in "terrain."  At least I can't figure out how. :rolleyes:  Really miss that.  :cry:

So that is how you found flat and boring roads.

:bow:

Not sure what all of the whining is about. There are dozens of online route generators that are better than Google, and even a number of offline ones with the maps right on your PC. I never cared to use Google for my routing needs.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Bill Hagan

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »

Bill

So that is how you found flat and boring roads.

:bow:

Not sure what all of the whining is about. There are dozens of online route generators that are better than Google, and even a number of offline ones with the maps right on your PC. I never cared to use Google for my routing needs.

Noted.   :rolleyes:

So, might you share a few of those with the great unwashed such as myself? 

BTW, my much-maligned -- even by me -- TT Rider really did a great job finding a stupendous route back from N.H.

To me, the ideal route planner would offer roads with topo in usable scale and permit uploading to a GPS.  Know if any of those you mention do that?

Bill

P.S. I saw that lawyer-mechanic crack in another thread, but was going to ignore it ... 'til this.   :evil:  :grin:

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »
The worst cussing I ever do is when I'm faced with the result of some mindless "DOT" engineer who has done something really stupid and dangerous on a highway, starting with the list above but going on and on.

They must get the dregs of people who couldn't make it in any other kind of engineering so go to the government where there's no accountability for doing the job right ....
Lannis

Now there are some smart DOT engineers though they are few and far between.   Here in California the big problem is the Affirmative Action hiring of Engineers with good school grades.  Heck they pass their PE tests even though they qualify as the village idiot when it comes to common sense.  Unfortunately the few good engineers spend all their time cleaning up the mistakes of the idiot horde.

Mark
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 04:04:17 PM »
Change.org has a petition to call back the old, faster, easier, better Google Maps.  Google could give a rats ass.  The new one sucks.  The petition now has more than 12,000 signatures so I urge you to join in.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:29:04 PM by pehayes »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »
So, might you share a few of those with the great unwashed such as myself? 

P.S. I saw that lawyer-mechanic crack in another thread, but was going to ignore it ... 'til this.   :evil:  :grin:

One of my favorites is still Microsoft Streets and Trips. Though it is discontinued, most roads haven't moved, so it will still work for me for years.
Then of course there are the Garmin products. Mapsource and Basecamp. With care, you can use them with free Open Source Maps and not get any $$$ tied up in them.
For simple routing, I like to play with one called ITNconverter. It lets you generate routes using a number of online maps sources like Google, Bing, Here, and OSM. It also lets you try a number of routing engines. And of course the main function of converting data between numerous formats.
Online you have Furkot (so detailed it is almost too much), Harley has one (which reaches beyond the next bar  :laugh: ), there is one called Tyre, TwistyRide, GPSies, and the usual like Google and Bing.

I wondered if you caught the lawyer reference.  :grin:
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »
Here is a traffic engineer on LSD!

Go to the ever-hated Google maps and drop in these coordinates:
37.046561, -94.478657
Joplin Missouri
Most efficient way to get people onto the freeway.  The crossovers put the traffic under the freeway bridge in the British or opposite directions.  Fun to drive through.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »
Here is a traffic engineer on LSD!

Go to the ever-hated Google maps and drop in these coordinates:
37.046561, -94.478657
Joplin Missouri
Most efficient way to get people onto the freeway.  The crossovers put the traffic under the freeway bridge in the British or opposite directions.  Fun to drive through.

We have three of those near me in Atlanta now. I'm not sure I see how they are more efficient, but they say they are.
It is pretty funny to watch someone from outside the area get off of the interstate and try to figure out what side of the road they are driving on.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2015, 08:56:11 PM »
Exit 26 on I-70 in Grand Junction CO has one of those diamond traffic patterns.  Went through it last Saturday for the first time, real fun with a tanker!!!  Fricken igits!! :angry:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »
Not Happy!
Looks like you have to enter 2 points for directions to get the options. Sort of looks like audio sliders.

Clicking the sliders gets you this:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:13:39 PM by rdbandkab »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here