Author Topic: what the hell?  (Read 12857 times)

jlburgess

what the hell?
« on: December 31, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »
Just went to pick up my G8V from the tappet inpection.  I am not sure how a factory certified mechanic stood in front of myself and the owner of a dealership and said "When I quoted 8 hours I wasn't sure if your bike had the cam in between the cylinders or in the head so I quoted the higher one."   :violent1:

How could I have sent pictures of the tappet failures to the service manager, then showed them the bike and described the failures and they are not sure if the bike is a cam in head design.
After I paid for 5 hours I went to start the bike and a big ECU FAILURE message is displayed.  I had already authorized a new battery.  Somehow I rode it in but after picking if up I now had 10.5 volts. I'm guessing a load test was performed?   The mechanic had just finished test riding it for god's sake!  He must have jump started it.  How did he think I was supposed to ride it home?  I went in to the shop again and told them the error message and his response was "how many times do I have to tell you it needs a battery?"   :boxing:

Now I went to have a drink while they prepare a battery for 45 minutes.   Considering the value of being a motorcycle rider at this point.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:24:50 PM by jlburgess »

canuguzzi

Re: what the hell?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:17:54 PM »
45 minutes to prepare battery? Time to find another dealer.

Better yet, time to find A dealer, this one obviously thinks being a dealer means dealing.

jlburgess

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 01:30:38 PM »
The owner is a stand up guy and insisted on giving me a free battery.  I offered to pay him for the battery and he would have none of it.   He is investigating communications issues.  I am extremely happy with his actions but, nearly had a meltdown in the showroom.  How a person that can't tell a 2 valve from a 4 valve became a mechanic is beyond my comprehension.  I will have to build a bridge to Oz to get it fixed properly  :rolleyes:  I think it says Quatrovalvole on the friggin' valve cover!  Do I need to translate that for him?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:07:14 PM by jlburgess »

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:41:18 PM »
I dont think you want that wrench working on your Guzzi.but on the other hand, at least he was honest! Sure doesnt do much for your confidence level though....
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:41:18 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
 factory certified mechanic ............is there really such thing? I doubt it.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »
1) Took my CBX to my "authorized dealer" for an OEM endless chain replacement (swing arm removal). Feeling frisky on the way home I hit the ton. Next morning washing the bike I hear a faint jingle. The 2 axle adj bolts & axle nut are loose & the chain is stretched to max. 2) Took my K100 to my "authorized dealer" for a 10k service. At home found 2 screws & a small nut & bolt in a fairing pocket. At least the mech didn't toss'em. I found where they went.   :huh: :huh:

Online CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »
This is why I buy used bikes and do all my own work. Should it have to be that way? Hell No....but it saves me from becoming a murderer. FAR too many motorcycle shops are filled with incompetents. Shame on them.

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:06:32 PM »
swing arm removal for a chain?  Really?  Just a chain tool to rivet and "endless" chain on. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 03:10:57 PM »
swing arm removal for a chain?  Really?  Just a chain tool to rivet and "endless" chain on.

Probably an endless chain . Had to grind the pins out of a link on Jay's Kawasaki Police Special to remove the chain . Replaced with a standard master link version .

Dusty

beetle

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 03:33:51 PM »
@jlburgess, mate you need to stay away from that 'dealer'. The ignorance of this person is astounding.

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
How about if all of us 8V owners take up a collection to bring Pete over.  He can travel from owner to owner performing inspections and tour the country again. We can call it the Pete Roper four corners tour.  All we have to do is pay him enough to travel to the next person.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »
And ....... your flat tappets were found to be .....
a. ok
b. not ok
c. only slight worn and dealer is doing nothing until they really wear out
d. warranty parts replacement is upcoming
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Vasco DG

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
45 minutes to prepare battery? Time to find another dealer.

Better yet, time to find A dealer, this one obviously thinks being a dealer means dealing.

Prepping a VLR battery takes a minimum of two hours. Better yet leave it overnight.

Pete

Offline motogman

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
Several years ago I went to a shop having a Saturday Porsche Club gathering in a Porsche 911 I had just purchased and they were doing free tech inspections.  With the car in the air I saw some oil line leaks and ask the tech what he thought that was.  His response was that it was likely a leaky radiator hose and just some anti-freeze.  Needless to say - I got what I paid for (zero) and have never taken my car to that shop for work.  They come in all flavors...   :violent1:

jlburgess

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Prepping a VLR battery takes a minimum of two hours. Better yet leave it overnight.

Pete
You noticed that huh?  I put it on a battery tender when I got home and it went on.  The price was right and I didn't start kicking over bikes in the showroom.   :tongue:

Tappets were proclaimed to be fine and it was reassembled before any pics were taken or contacting me so I'm sure I'll be covered in case they fail.  Pfft!  Where's my beer?  :boozing:

Vasco DG

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »
Problem is John that if you wait for them to fail catastrophically there may well be further engine damage and they won't cover that. Get it inspected by someone with a clue, as you saw, it's only half an hour's work.

If, as I suspect, there is damage you can take pics, go back and rip them an extra arsehole!

Pete
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:38:52 AM by Vasco DG »

jlburgess

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 04:46:48 PM »
OP - was this GP?
I have been to 3 different dealers for repairs.  This is not a dealer thread.  It's verboten!  :copcar:

canuguzzi

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »

Pete

AGM batteries are a plug and play, there is no prep unless you have none on hand, even then, walk into most shops and the batteries are ready to go.

AGMs leave the manufacturer sealed, no prep. There is no acid to add, no liquid to add and they are charged.

If they aren't charged, an AGM can be charged very quickly, their rate of accepting a charge is very high. Their self discharge very low.

Maybe they are putting different batteries in the bikes headed down under?

jlburgess

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
Problem is John that if you wait for them to fail catastrophically there may well be further engine damage and they won't cover that. Get it inspected by someone with a clue, as you saw, it's only half an hour's work.

If, as I suspect, there is damage you can take pics, go back and tip them an extra arsehole!

Pete

I will heed your advice in the future.  Right now all motorcycles in my possession are on double secret probation awaiting further instructions.  I'm going fishing in the meantime!  :thumb:

jlburgess

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 04:53:47 PM »
AGM batteries are a plug and play, there is no prep unless you have none on hand, even then, walk into most shops and the batteries are ready to go.

AGMs leave the manufacturer sealed, no prep. There is no acid to add, no liquid to add and they are charged.

If they aren't charged, an AGM can be charged very quickly, their rate of accepting a charge is very high. Their self discharge very low.

It's a Yuasa.  All I know?

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »
Some Yuasa agm batteries are factory activated and some require activation.https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/Yuasa_Specs_Apps_2015.pdf
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 05:18:46 PM »
Probably an endless chain . Had to grind the pins out of a link on Jay's Kawasaki Police Special to remove the chain . Replaced with a standard master link version .

Dusty

break the chain and rivet a new "endless chain" on.  You can use a chain breaker or a grinder and then rivet the chain on with a punch.  No master link.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
break the chain and rivet a new "endless chain" on.  You can use a chain breaker or a grinder and then rivet the chain on with a punch.  No master link.

True , except the monster on the Kwacker resisted every effort with the breaker .

Dusty

canuguzzi

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »
It's a Yuasa.  All I know?

They probably aren't high volume seller of batteries is all. YUASA seems to get out into lots if bikes and are pretty good batteries. If it doesn't have filler holes then its probably an AGM and should be trouble free until it wears out, hopefully 5-7 years from now.

If you ride your bike once a month for more than a dash to the store, it doesn't need a trickle charge. If you store it, just put it on a good charger every 6-8 weeks, more than that isn't needed with a good AGM batt unless you have a high parasitic draw.

Seems like you're good to go now. Mid trip on the Norge now, stopped for coffee. Take your Norge out, bet its beckoning.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 05:54:20 PM »
Tappets were proclaimed to be fine and it was reassembled before any pics were taken or contacting me so I'm sure I'll be covered in case they fail.  Pfft!  Where's my beer?  :boozing:

:violent1:

From everything that you said, I would assume that they didn't touch anything in there.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »
  This all sounds like the Indiana dealership that was really a shoe salesman.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Vasco DG

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 08:41:31 PM »

No they aren't. And unless the shop has a very expensive battery sitting around wetted up and ready to go t will need the acid adding, being left for at least an hour to allow the acid to permeate the plates, (This is why I leave them overnight.) then a quick charge at a highish rate and then, and only then, can it be put into service.

These instructions are contained in the battery box on the INSTRUCTION SHEET. It's not rocket science but it does require that the person performing the activation know what he is doing.

If the battery is put straight into service as soon as the acid is put in it will probably start the bike but then it will blow a whole lot of acid out all over the place. The life of the battery will also be severely compromised.

Pete

canuguzzi

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 09:13:59 PM »
Pete, I'm referring to AGMs, same as found in bikes like the Norge straight from the dealer. Bought more than a few, various applications. They are shipped directly from the manufacturer sealed, no provisions for adding acid. You really can't add acid to AGM batteries, the mats inside are saturated from the factory.

Maybe you are referring to some of the sealed flooded types where you add to the battery as the dealer and then seal it and then charge prior to install? Those are older technology.

Here I have yet to see AGM batteries delivered from a factory unsealed any condition other than ready for installation.

From everything from motorcycle, to lawn tractors to autos, truck and high capacity batteries used for solar energy storage banks. They come off the truck, go into service and arrive with full charge. The self discharge rate is so low that even after sitting in a shelf for 6 months they go out with a quick hit from a high amp charger if they even need that.

Yes, flooded batteries are shipped without fluids and must be prepped and then properly charged going to all three stages, bulk, absorb and float before being installed but few buy them for motorcycles anymore unless the charging system can't handle them.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »
  This all sounds like the Indiana dealership that was really a shoe salesman.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Damn it , I just pee'd my Cristmas pagamas.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2015, 10:02:07 PM »
Pete, I'm referring to AGMs, same as found in bikes like the Norge straight from the dealer. Bought more than a few, various applications. They are shipped directly from the manufacturer sealed, no provisions for adding acid. You really can't add acid to AGM batteries, the mats inside are saturated from the factory.

Sorry, but you can also get AGM batteries that are shipped dry. You have to follow a strict procedure to get the acid absorbed into the glass.
I have a low opinion of this style. They have been know to spill. Maybe because of poor dealer prep.

Go to the bottom of page 8 of this Yuasa manual.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechManual_2014.pdf
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here