Author Topic: Speeding  (Read 12610 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Speeding
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »
My take is speed, acceleration and agility are your advantages over a car when riding.  I prefer to use all the tools.  I agree that riding faster than traffic can be defensive.  Unfortunately, where I live enforcement has been increased and I have done my best to ride slower which puts me in the middle of traffic rather than passing it.   I keep my distance (in all directions), pass quickly and deliberately, and stay visible.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

BigDave in PA

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 05:35:07 PM »
I used to speed a lot more than I do now. I've been lucky and in my 47 rears of driving and riding I've never had a moving violation or any points against my record. I look at this now and I'm kind of proud of that fact so I find myself limiting to 5 over at the most. My wife had 1 speeding ticket maybe 30 years ago and none since. Our car insurance rates are relatively low and I think it has something to do with this record. Sometimes I find myself tempted to blast away but try my best to refrain. I've had lots of fun in my life on the highways. A lot of my riding now a days is while accompanying my 83 year old dad with his side car so needless to say we don't set any speed records. I'm just so fortunate to be able to share these times with dad and hope it can continue for more years to come.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 05:35:37 PM »
I remember crossing paths with a LEO going about 135mph on the Busa. He flashed his lights, I slowed down and all was well.  :boozing:

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 07:19:12 PM »
I'm too paranoid to say speed here.  You never know what enforcement agencies might be monitoring this board...
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 07:19:12 PM »

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
I'm too paranoid to say speed here.  You never know what enforcement agencies might be monitoring this board...

You know the authorities are monitoring this board. We should all expect to be questioned soon...
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Kentktk

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »

Seriously?

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 09:18:45 PM »
 I want a bumper sticker that says, " If you don't like driving behind me you should have left sooner".
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »
Seriously?

The truth is Out There... :shocked:
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »
When I test rode a Moto Guzzi for the first time (a Sport 1100), I said to myself, the fun does not start with this thing until you are doing 80 mph.  It will get me in trouble, I walked away, but still they called me.  Now I have 4 in the garage.  So yeah I haul ass a bit but only when it is safe and prudent.  :wink:  When I am chasing the Flying Squirrels motorcycle gang (a mostly retired group of gray beards who like to chase dogs and wildlife off the East TX back-roads at the North side of 100) I run go to jail speeds at times to keep up but figure the thrill is worth it. 

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 12:04:08 AM »
I guess speeding depends on where you live and where you are. I've slowed down since I moved to Washington. Back in California it was easy to go really fast, and everyone drives 80-90 anyway.
People here in the northwest drive like grannies. I recently went to virginia and it seems that the minute I crossed the border into that state people turned into a-hole drivers. I know chicago drivers are terrible too, not a place I want to ride!

I'm still usually faster than most people on the road when on the freeway, not by much, but I do tend to pass everyone. Especially on the bike when it's so much easier to just weave in and out. I don't trust people on the bike and don't want to stay in anyone's potential blind/stupid spot for any length of time. On surface streets I keep it around 45-50 absolute tops though, you never know who or what is going to pull out in front of you and either ruin your day or your life. It's just not worth it for a cheap thrill.

The very reason I ride a twin is that you can have fun with one at or under the speed limit, unlike any kind of sport bike where you aren't having any fun until the engine is screaming and you're well over the speed limit.

I do quite literally wish very bad things on people who go anything over 95 on the freeway, especially when it's packed and everyone else is driving normal speeds and they're weaving thru traffic pretending to be in Fast and the Furious. People just don't expect you to be way back there, and right on top of them a few seconds later, and they don't have the ability to react to those situations. It doesn't show that a person is a badass, it just shows that they're a complete prick that has no regard for their safety, property or life; or that of their fellow man.

If you have the road all to yourself though, that's another matter entirely.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »
Apart from an occasional blast on an open and empty road, I'm not much of a law-breaker. In general, I go five over, which LEOs seem to tolerate everywhere (except Ohio...).
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2016, 09:36:39 AM »
I guess speeding depends on where you live and where you are. I've slowed down since I moved to Washington. Back in California it was easy to go really fast, and everyone drives 80-90 anyway.
People here in the northwest drive like grannies. I recently went to virginia and it seems that the minute I crossed the border into that state people turned into a-hole drivers. I know chicago drivers are terrible too, not a place I want to ride!

I'm still usually faster than most people on the road when on the freeway, not by much, but I do tend to pass everyone. Especially on the bike when it's so much easier to just weave in and out. I don't trust people on the bike and don't want to stay in anyone's potential blind/stupid spot for any length of time. On surface streets I keep it around 45-50 absolute tops though, you never know who or what is going to pull out in front of you and either ruin your day or your life. It's just not worth it for a cheap thrill.

The very reason I ride a twin is that you can have fun with one at or under the speed limit, unlike any kind of sport bike where you aren't having any fun until the engine is screaming and you're well over the speed limit.

I do quite literally wish very bad things on people who go anything over 95 on the freeway, especially when it's packed and everyone else is driving normal speeds and they're weaving thru traffic pretending to be in Fast and the Furious. People just don't expect you to be way back there, and right on top of them a few seconds later, and they don't have the ability to react to those situations. It doesn't show that a person is a badass, it just shows that they're a complete prick that has no regard for their safety, property or life; or that of their fellow man.

If you have the road all to yourself though, that's another matter entirely.

I lived in Virginia for a couple of years, I agree they are the worst group of drivers I've ever encountered.  They love to drive in your blind spots.  Two VA cars can make a traffic jam. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2016, 09:41:33 AM »
As a late teen/20-something, the first thing I ever wanted to know was the top speed of any car I owned. And I found out every one.

Then a kid I knew was speeding, ran into a family; killed the wife and kids; injured the dad, who later committed suicide in his grief. Kid's family was sued for millions by the injured family's relatives and certainly changed their lives. (Not making this up. Sounds like a movie-of-the-week.)

If I'm feeling a need for speed, there are at least 3 road courses within a reasonable distance with multiple clubs using them regularly. Then I can just focus on speed and not someone (carelessly or cautiously) pulling out in front of me. People don't buy minivans because they are auto enthusiasts.
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
I generally drive/ride about 5-10mph above posted speed limits with occasional burst of speed as needed. Heavy urban traffic is as the flow requires.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2016, 12:08:12 PM »
If I want to go really fast I have access to 150'x7,000' private runway. Have ran the Norge to an indicated 140 with bags and trunk on.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2016, 02:51:56 PM »
If I want to go really fast I have access to 150'x7,000' private runway. Have ran the Norge to an indicated 140 with bags and trunk on.
GliderJohn

Would that be fast enough to lift off and start flying?  Definitely tucked in behind the windscreen I'm sure!!   :grin: :grin:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »
Quote from PJPR01:
Would that be fast enough to lift off and start flying?  Definitely tucked in behind the windscreen I'm sure!!

If I had any wing area, no problem. Most definitely tucked. We were waiting for the cloud cover to lift so our glider club could start operations. I passed the pilots waiting around at about 120. Received several compliments on the sound of the Norge as it went by them WFO.
GuzziJohn

John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »
Sounds like a lot of fun!!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Kentktk

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2016, 12:20:43 AM »
GliderJohn

That Norge speedo needs calibration to fix the 20 mph optimistic reading

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2016, 06:13:09 AM »

A late model Norge has the same engine as a Griso, about 80 rear wheel HP ? And a fairing? Should do 130-135 mph in a mile standing start  based on what similar bikes do at the LSR tracks.... The bags may or may not slow it down much ....

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2016, 06:52:42 AM »
Quote from Kentkik:

Yea, I don't know the true speed. Using my GPS I am running 76 at an indicated 80. Didn't have the GPS onboard the day I ran it up. It felt as stable at the indicated 140 as is does at 70. The overall faring and bags seem very well designed to run well at high speed.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2016, 07:02:28 AM »
I've tried to slow down the last few years. It's easier in the cage with the passenger telling me to slow down.

Dean
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:04:49 AM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2016, 07:13:28 AM »
Look at the bikes in my signature. One of the reasons I own these bikes is so i can slow down and enjoy myself at closer to legal speeds.   :bike-037:
Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »
According to the recent Michigan police bike tests, the Norge will do 129 MPH. I imagine their testing equipment is fairly accurate.  :wink:
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2016, 03:03:54 PM »
Quote from Jeff Olsen:
According to the recent Michigan police bike tests, the Norge will do 129 MPH. I imagine their testing equipment is fairly accurate.

I have seen that. I wonder if the way the police model is equipped effects top speed. Possibly more drag from something. I noticed the police bags are different and maybe not as aerodynamic.
Tried searching for other top speed results and only came up with 135mph in Motorcycle Consumer News. Another site called Rideapart claimed that when they ran for top speed they hit the 8K rev limiter at an indicated 136mph. I don't know what my RPM was when I hit the indicated 140, but it was still pulling a bit when I started to run out of runway and had to slow.
GuzziJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2016, 03:10:24 PM »
Could have been a tailwind, I vote for the 140!!  But I guess planes take off into the wind (is that right?) so maybe there was a headwind, however I'm not a Pilot, but perhaps the Pilots on the board might know the answer!   :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:12:59 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2016, 03:21:16 PM »
It was calm with off and on wiffs of wind and cloudy when I did that run. I was running with what wind there was. Yes, planes prefer to takeoff and land into the wind.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
A GoPro video on the Norge with the planes going by would be very cool!!   :grin: :grin:
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2016, 08:40:57 PM »
My basic target is limit +9mph.  Traffic flow sometimes makes that way too slow.  Basically try to keep my relative speed such to not get a ticket and to keep me away from other traffic and if near other traffic keep the relative speed differences low.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2016, 06:48:31 AM »
My basic target is limit +9mph.

I find that works quite well on most major highways anyway. Was stopped a few years ago in the car on Hwy 81 just north of the Kansas boarder in Nebraska and given a written warning for seven over. Must have tight enforcement there.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here