Author Topic: V9 Over V7?  (Read 16624 times)

Offline Beerman

• Hatchling
Re: V9 Over V7?
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »
Thanks.  That's my experience even though I don't really know what I'm doing.  Was at the Suzuki shop the other day trying to "take in" the V-Strom and I kept trying and trying.  The CB1100 seemed to be closer to what I was after, but then I guess the V7 is what I'm after.  It's the only bike I sat on that says "I do think this is it.", but I keep looking for excuses because of no very local dealer.  But maintenance seems really easy so shouldn't be a big deal; including valve adjustments. 
And the yellow tank matches my helmet.

I am very happy with my V711 Special, and I don't think the performance 'improvements' in upgrading to a V7111 or V9 would be worth paying out more for. I am though seriously considering a CB1100EX as a second bike. People say it is too refined, too smooth etc, but to me it looks beautifully built. We also have the RS in the UK, but I don't think you have it in the US. The only thing causing me to hold off is the weight of the CB: one o the Guzzi's attractions to me is it's relatively light weight. That, and the chain drive vs shaft drive.

Beerman
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:13:36 AM by Beerman »
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2016 V711 Special
2014 Vespa Sprint

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2017, 10:55:43 PM »
*shrugs* 32" inseam but V7 I has slightly different ergos. I neither bang my shins on pegs ever or warm them with the jugs.

I'll have to try sitting on a III this coming year.

I wish the jugs would fend off the chill, but then I'd be begging relief the other 6 months of the year.   :wink:

Yeah, a sales guy I'm friendly with didn't get it either until I sat on their Special last Friday.  You know, every time he talks about the MG's you can hear the admiration in his voice, especially the California.  He's a Guzzista waiting to happen.  :evil:

:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

bpreynolds

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
I wish the jugs would fend off the chill, but then I'd be begging relief the other 6 months of the year.   :wink:

Here are some wonderful things about those jugs that not many folks talk about.  First, they in fact do provide some degree of fairing.  I just returned from about a 1300 mile roundtrip on my KTM 950 Supermoto to NC and TN.  It was wonderful and there�s no other bike so far that quite suits me for long distance as much as that KTM; yet, it�s still mostly a naked bike and on any naked bike I�ve ridden after about 2 hours or more in the saddle you will generaly start to notice things that you�d never notice otherwise mostly.  Like wind working to splay your legs apart.  It�s nothing at first but after many miles you - or at least for me personally - will start to actually feel a strain of keeping your knees pointed forward as the wind is blowing them apart.  This gets more noticeable as the miles pile on.  On a Guzzi, however, I never notice this  :thumb:

Second, something else about those jugs they�re not just for looks alone though they look great, don�t they?  They were originally set that way, as I understand it, for cooling benefits.  In my experience this is quite true.  No other motorcycles I�ve owned or driven (a whole ton bunch too many/not enough  :grin:) run as nicely cool as an air cooled Guzzi.  Well let me qualify that, every Guzzi I�ve ever owned or driven except for the 8V engines (in both my former Stelvio and Griso) and the otherwise wonderful big Breva - ran hot hot hot to me.  Yeah, I know, adjust the fueling, blah, blah, blah, whatevs, this is a personal thing for me.  But all other Geese, so, so much more pleasant to ride in hot weather than even or especially the water cooled bikes I�ve owned.

Last but not least, nobody really talks much about this, but those big jugs do function as a safety feature in given situations.  They are far more substantial than most engine guards or fairings.  They saved what would have been much greater damage to my lower leg when I was hit and driven from the side by a truck driver some years back; they absorbed the majority of the energy of that collision as the cylinder heads showed, keeping the front of the truck from driving further into my leg.  When the bike came to a stop and toppled over in the other direction, they probably saved damage to my other leg by absorbing the impact of the pavement and keeping the asphalt and the bike from sandwiching my leg on the opposite side. 

I�m just saying hey, I love those jugs for reasons other than just cause they look good  :grin:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:19:25 AM by bpreynolds »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
I'm going to have to take issue with the fairing and cooling aspects of that argument being RCHs...

Truly the fairing aspect I've never noticed, other than said Breva which was obviously more than just the effect of the motor.

As a matter of fact after that Big Breva that I didn't want to ride in temps above 80F because it was too uncomfortably hot (see both arguments) the V7 feels downright cool and comfy in hot weather.

That said, I've seen Harleys run cooler than Guzzis (largely based on tuning) which suggests there really is no need or advantage to having those Guzzi cylinders in the wind and it all comes down to tuning anyway.

Besides, jugs that are too big can get in the way.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »
Thanks for saying.  I was certain that everyone would think I was an idiot. 
With that, I figured I'll ultimately need three bikes to completely satisfy my inability to decide, so would maybe a Yamaha XSR900 be a good complement to my soon-to-be new V7 III Stone (in yellow)?

I would say the new Yamaha tracer 900 gt would be a complementary bike to the v7.  The triple in a bike with luggage and cruise control. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Cory

• New Egg
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2017, 02:53:17 PM »
I would say the new Yamaha tracer 900 gt would be a complementary bike to the v7.  The triple in a bike with luggage and cruise control.
Thanks.  The final tally is a Yamaha FJ-09, but a V7 as bike #2.  Not sure what #3 would be, but I think I would need 3 to really round it out (while keeping #1 and #2). 
Much appreciated everyone's input.  It honestly really helped a ton.

bpreynolds

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »

Okay, enough with the jugs talk before one of us gets fired.  Dusty.  Dusty could get fired for letting this stuff go on  :grin:

As per the title of this thread, they are both fantastic motorcycles and you just can't go wrong with either.  The V9 will go down as my favorite Guzzi engine but I've already made my choice - my bad back helped decide - so I have verbally inked a trade-in deal for a new VIII Stone for the Roamer.  Hope to pick up the new yellow dog later this week sometime.  As a repentant former scrooge might say, Merry Christmas everyone!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2017, 10:59:26 PM »
Okay, enough with the jugs talk before one of us gets fired.  Dusty.  Dusty could get fired for letting this stuff go on  :grin:

As per the title of this thread, they are both fantastic motorcycles and you just can't go wrong with either.  The V9 will go down as my favorite Guzzi engine but I've already made my choice - my bad back helped decide - so I have verbally inked a trade-in deal for a new VIII Stone for the Roamer.  Hope to pick up the new yellow dog later this week sometime.  As a repentant former scrooge might say, Merry Christmas everyone!
Probably shouldn't say  "go down" either BP.. :clock:

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
I'm going to have to take issue with the fairing and cooling aspects of that argument being RCHs...

Truly the fairing aspect I've never noticed, other than said Breva which was obviously more than just the effect of the motor....
Since we seem to be expanding beyond V7s/V9s, let me weigh in WRT the Cali 1400s: The jugs do provide some protection when you tuck your knees in.

...As a matter of fact after that Big Breva that I didn't want to ride in temps above 80F because it was too uncomfortably hot (see both arguments) the V7 feels downright cool and comfy in hot weather....
Interestingly temperature has never been an issue on my Cali 1400.  I’ve done plenty of miles in 100 degree temperatures and plenty of miles in 40 degree temperatures.  I just reposition my legs.

..That said, I've seen Harleys run cooler than Guzzis (largely based on tuning) which suggests there really is no need or advantage to having those Guzzi cylinders in the wind and it all comes down to tuning anyway...

Well, my Roadster sure doesn’t run cooler than the Guzzi.  Extended stop and go on a hot day typically results in baked thigh.

I don’t know, those big jugs can really warm my hands up on a cold evening :)
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »
Since we seem to be expanding beyond V7s/V9s, let me weigh in WRT the Cali 1400s: The jugs do provide some protection when you tuck your knees in.

I could see that considering a combination of the bigger size and cruiserish seating.

Well, my Roadster sure doesn�t run cooler than the Guzzi.  Extended stop and go on a hot day typically results in baked thigh.

I didn't say every one is cooler or not. My main point is that the design itself means little to the actual cooling. Yeah there was probably an advantage at one point, maybe a half a century ago when metallurgy was closer to the dark ages than it is today, but between modern materials and the ability to more precisely control fuel delivery there's no reason a 10F swing in head temps between one cylinder and another or between one motor and another has to mean much to the motor.

Now to the RIDER it may be significant, though largely that has to do with bike design and ergonomics etc.

And much of that can be mitigated by tuning, though at some point if you're sitting on a jug or exhaust pipe there's only so much you can do about it.

But bottom line out of curiosity I closely compared head temperatures on various Guzzis and Harleys over the years (on rides with them essentially side-by-side to best compare in identical conditions) and sometimes the Harleys had cooler heads, sometimes the Guzzis. It all came down to homologation, like the hot running and hot feeling Breva 1100.

When it got really hot out I wouldn't touch the B11, and instead opted for the much more comfortable EFI Harley (Sporty).

Similarly the V7 was a breath of fresh cool air even in the heat.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here