Author Topic: 2007 Griso in CL ad  (Read 1867 times)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
2007 Griso in CL ad
« on: March 14, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »
There is a nice-looking 2007 Griso in a CL ad in Springfield, Ma I've been looking at for a while; listed for $3990, red, with 19k miles on it, stock, no other info. I will refrain from posting a link to the ad because I cannot also post a pic from my work computer.

I dug thru the archives and found lots of discussions of the chronic problems with this model (I assume 2-valve), which didn't seem that bad at all.

Given that, is that price with NO info about it's history a good one, or would it be smarter to pay a little more and buy from a real owner who knows what's been done (or not done)?
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2007 Griso in CL ad
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »
I just bought a 2007, its 2 valves per cylinder so it doesn't have the flat tappet issue  :thumb:
Like a modern VII Sport I reckon.
I think at that price and mileage it's a safe buy,

It will have lack of grease issues in the rear end but should be new enough to still be ok.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »
Wasn’t the main negative with the dash that fails and then the bike won’t run at all? And replacement dash very expensive, wonder if a new dash would be available if it does fail.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Moto

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
Wasn�t the main negative with the dash that fails and then the bike won�t run at all? And replacement dash very expensive, wonder if a new dash would be available if it does fail.

A number of dashes have failed, but not such a high proportion as with the Breva, I think. I recommend disassembling the dash and coating its printed circuit board with a "conformal coating," or, even better, having a local phone/computer repair shop coat it. I also recommend closely questioning the seller about any signs of intermittent failure.

New dashes are available. The market price today is $581.

My own dash is coated and also set up with a desiccating breather. Admittedly, a lot of work for a problem that should never have come about.

Moto

P.S. I don't seem to see much mention of these problems in recent years (say the last two or three years). I wonder if the new dashes are now coated, which would explain that. But that's just speculation.

I wonder how many Griso owners have not experienced a failure, over years of service.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
That reminds me, something else to check out before riding season.
There's nowhere wetter than Vancouver, so far so good but I need to take a look.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 04:01:09 PM »
I have, over the last twelve years, replaced one Griso dash, mine, and one customer's dash on a Breva. The bed wetting over this is grossly exaggerated. Of more importance is that it has two keys that work so the user code can be re-set if the owner doesn't know it.

Very early, 2006, Brevas and Grisos had a flakey bearing in the bevelbox and some had an issue with the Cush drive on the gearbox input shaft. By 2007 they should all be good.

Expect to have to fit new swingarm bearings and a shock linkage if they were never greased post assembly, no biggie, $350 or so max in parts and a couple of hours work.

Pete

Moto

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 04:53:25 PM »
The bed wetting over this is grossly exaggerated.
Pete

I tend to agree, though living in Australia doubtless affects your experience.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:54:21 PM by Moto »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 05:16:29 PM »
How big a deal is it to get a spare key, If you know the code.
The previous owner lost the key but wrote the code down in the manual.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

pete roper

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »

When you say he wrote down the code do you mean his user code or the diagnostic code 12425?

Pete

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »
I'm going to be in West Springfield next weekend. I'm not much of a wrench but I have at least  seen a Griso and have two working eyeballs
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Moto

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »

If you have the key's code, you can buy a pair of new keys for $128 from af1racing.com, only one of which will have an immobilizer chip. The keys will then need to be milled and the one with the chip will need to be programmed. AF1 mills keys for $20 (not sure if this is per key or per pair). They also have a link to instructions for programming the chipped key. They don't sell single keys, it seems.

They indicate you have to have at least one working key for this replacement approach to work.

Here is a link to af1racing's page showing the key:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=46472&sku=977918&description=Moto+Guzzi+Key+Blank+With+Trnsponder+Chip+-+977918&action=View

Moto

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 07:15:41 PM »
Thanks Moto
I will study that tomorrow
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »
I'm going to be in West Springfield next weekend. I'm not much of a wrench but I have at least  seen a Griso and have two working eyeballs

I just called the seller, it was a trade-in from a Harley dealership. I've been in Springfield at least a half-dozen times in the past year, but have no immediate alternate excuse to make the 80-min trip up to check it out. I am suddenly smitten by it's lines.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
I just called the seller, it was a trade-in from a Harley dealership. I've been in Springfield at least a half-dozen times in the past year, but have no immediate alternate excuse to make the 80-min trip up to check it out. I am suddenly smitten by it's lines.

Back in 2007, when I was living in NORCAL, a French buddy of mine bought a brand new 2007 Griso, and it was red!

Famous story was as we both rode to Alice's one weekend...While crossing the San Mateo bridge, we decided to try a "top gear roll on" at 70 mph against my '83 850 Le Mans-III, (see photo).

His 2007, 2-valve, fuel-injected, Griso "walked away" from my 850 Le Mans like it was standing still!!! :shocked: :shocked: (Just sayin'....)  Needless to say I was a little taken back by this memorable event!! :laugh: :grin: :wink:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:05:07 PM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here