Author Topic: short guy problems with kickstand....  (Read 2544 times)

Offline abloom

• New Egg
short guy problems with kickstand....
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
Hey,

So you all have been really helpful as I have pursued switching from BMW to getting a Guzzi.  I rode a 2002 California EV this weekend, and I was really in love with it.  But at 30.7" it was a bit high.  Balls of feet were down, and heels were only 1/2" from the ground.  I can work with this.  But the damnedest problem was reaching the far away kickstand.  In 27 years of riding, I have never encountered this problem.  My heel was 2 1/2" - 3" from the hook coming off it.  This is a dumb, dumb problem.

The bike I was on took off the floorboards, so I don't know if that moved the kickstand forward or not, but if so (we held them up parallel to the current set-up) it was only maybe 3/4". 

I am 5'6" but with shorter legs, but not THAT short.  I cannot be the first person to have this problem.  Any suggestions out there.  The only thing I could think of was having a custom hook/spur welded higher up on the kickstand.  It would require more muscle to pull it in with the lost leverage, but I cannot imagine that would be a problem.  Any other notions would be much appreciated.

This is a dumb, dumb, dumb problem....

Aaron

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Re: short guy problems with kickstand....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
Do a Google search for kickstand extension or extender.  One of these might solve your issue or give you a starting point to rig something up.  Don't forget to post a pic of what you came up with! :thumb:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
Do you know someone w/a welder? Put a kicker on the stand where you need it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:16:36 PM »
It's a dumb dumb design to pivot the sidestand at the front of the lower frame rail. I had the same problem with the T. For years I kicked the sidestand up before straddling the bike.

Solution was to swap for a frame rail with the sidestand pivot mounted further back, like under the left footpeg -- that's where the sidestand is on my Mille and most late Tontis. Like this:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:22:07 PM by Testarossa »
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:16:36 PM »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »
As a "leg challenged" individual too, I've been there and done that :grin:

I found it all a bit inelegant but my solution was to slide up the tank as far as I could and with a bit of concentration it was do-able but even with practice it often took two goes

The side stand on my Breva 1100 is dead easy to deploy, but I've managed to drop that twice and never with the Cali

Make of that what you will :evil:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Moto

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
Guzzis are known for this "feature."

One thing not to do is use your heel. Depress the lever with the toe of your boot. This may seem obvious,
but I noticed in your photos and in your text the heel of the boot was being used.

Also, you may find that a little practice will lead you to shifting in the saddle to get more extension.
After a while it becomes second nature.

Guzzi expects us to accommodate them, not the other way around.

Moto

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 02:10:52 PM »
I've got a 25" true inseam (30" inseam on jeans) and an 01 Cal Spec. You don't have a knob on top of your kick stand? I use my heel ortoe to hook the knob and kick it down. Use the back of my heel to kick it up.

-AJ
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 03:03:22 PM by AJ Huff »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »
You can make it a lot easier to retract by removing one of the two springs.  I fashioned a new piece on the bottom that allowed the one spring to exert a little more "pull", otherwise the one spring will not allow the stand to retract fully.

I'm also 5'6" and also added an extension to the foot so that the bike would not lean over so far.  This helped a bunch getting the bike upright to retract the stand.

Offline Bill

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 03:41:55 PM »
Not a fix but a work around. Get a long string/cord pass it thru one of the loops I saw in your picture on the side stand. Pull both ends of the cord and lay on the gas tank. Get on the bike and pull the side stand up with the cord. Release one end and pull cord up and put in pocket.
Bill

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »
Not a fix but a work around. Get a long string/cord pass it thru one of the loops I saw in your picture on the side stand. Pull both ends of the cord and lay on the gas tank. Get on the bike and pull the side stand up with the cord. Release one end and pull cord up and put in pocket.
Bill

That's brilliant Bill.  I may do something like this with a nice wooden handle, kind of like an outboard pull start, just for the convenience.  And I'm tall enough to reach the kickstand as is!

Matt
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »
One thing I noticed from the photos is the stand seems to angle forward a bit more than it should (certainly more than my Convert). Looks like about 100-105 degrees vs. a nice right angle to the lower frame rail. Just that extra few degrees and the lack of the "knob" on top could make a big difference.

Is that the original stand? Kind of looks different than any Guzzi stand I've seen, perhaps off of a Harley?
Charlie

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 04:46:26 PM »
My stand extending waay forward due to wear on the mount that bolts to the frame.  A careful spot of welding at the wear spot brought the stand back to where it was much easier to deploy and raise.

Offline abloom

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
One thing I noticed from the photos is the stand seems to angle forward a bit more than it should (certainly more than my Convert). Looks like about 100-105 degrees vs. a nice right angle to the lower frame rail. Just that extra few degrees and the lack of the "knob" on top could make a big difference.

Is that the original stand? Kind of looks different than any Guzzi stand I've seen, perhaps off of a Harley?

No, you are exactly right.  This is the set-up he put on it when he took the floorboard off.  I am not sure where he sourced the alternate set-up on his bike.

Offline abloom

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
I've got a 25" true inseam (30" inseam on jeans) and an 01 Cal Spec. You don't have a knob on top of your kick stand? I use my heel ortoe to hook the knob and kick it down. Use the back of my heel to kick it up.

-AJ

I didn't have any problem kicking it down when I stopped riding, which I suppose, if I had to choose, would be the direction I'd prefer to have be easy.  No, it was when it was parked, getting the stand retracted.  The spur (or whatever you call it) is the thing I am trying to reach for there.  In the pics I am extending my heel, but it was the same with my toe when pointed (insofar as you can with a boot). 

I just find it a hoot that so many tall guys complain about being cramped on the bike, but then the stand is clearly designed for someone who is tall.  I guess in Italy they are trying to make sure there is a little bit of suffering for everyone.  :grin:

Offline abloom

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 07:46:01 PM »
Bill

I second Matt.  This is hilariously brilliant.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
I just find it a hoot that so many tall guys complain about being cramped on the bike, but then the stand is clearly designed for someone who is tall.  I guess in Italy they are trying to make sure there is a little bit of suffering for everyone.  :grin:

You can't blame the Italians if it has Harley (or other aftermarket) parts on it.  :wink:
Charlie

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »
I didn't have any problem kicking it down when I stopped riding, which I suppose, if I had to choose, would be the direction I'd prefer to have be easy.  No, it was when it was parked, getting the stand retracted.  The spur (or whatever you call it) is the thing I am trying to reach for there.  In the pics I am extending my heel, but it was the same with my toe when pointed (insofar as you can with a boot). 

I'm curious with our different stand. See if you have the knob on top you can hook the top of you foot behind it and pull it up. It's even with the front foot peg so not that far.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 08:22:20 AM »
Alternate solution..... KISS style boots  :grin:

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 01:57:14 AM »
On my '04, I removed one of the springs to make it easier to pull up. With the one spring in either of the stock holes on the stand pivot post, the stand was loose. I drilled a hole between the holes and it made the stand stay up fine and was easy to pull up.

WARNING....If you decide to just use one spring, remember, if that one breaks, there is nothing to keep the stand from coming down.

I have not tried this, but it may be possible to stretch the 2 springs to make them longer and remove some tension?

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline EV11Jack

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
I have a'98 EV11 and a 30" inseam. Initially had problems and even got a "Charlie horse" in my left hip when trying to pull p the kick-stand. For Christmas my wife gave me a pair of TCX Hero boots. They're somewhat taller and subsequently allow me to "grab" the kick-stand with the front of the boot sole & lift it easily. No "strings" attached and you get a new pair of really nice boots out of it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1998 EV11 California

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here