Author Topic: more gingerman racing  (Read 1515 times)

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
more gingerman racing
« on: June 16, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
this is from the same weekend as the last race I posted, this time for the win! but you'll have to take my word for it as the camera ran out of battery.  :grin: I managed to pass the Ducati I was following, it is a nicely prepared pantah.

https://youtu.be/4xTS_D7gj1g

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: more gingerman racing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 08:04:35 PM »
How in heaven's name do you get your 850 to out grunt some of those Jap fours..?
Irregardless (sic)
I love watching your footage...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:03:51 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 01:03:03 AM »
Do you have any shots of your bike in anger or static..?

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »
two advantages, first getting the handling right means I can get on the throttle sooner coming through the curves, second the low down torque of the big twins gets me accelerating quicker, as they pick up speed they can out run me but that only works on the longer straights after a few seconds where there is time to spin up the engine.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 08:16:09 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 08:23:19 AM »
two advantages, first getting the handling right means I can get on the throttle sooner coming through the curves, second the low down torque of the big twins gets me accelerating quicker, as they pick up speed they can out run me but that only works on the longer straights after a few seconds where there is time to spin up the engine.

There's a third advantage, which I will mention since it wouldn't be seemly for you to say it, but that advantage is "rider skill".    Going into those curves at speed way deeper than the competition and getting on the gas sooner coming is possible because you know your bike and how it responds better than the other riders know their bikes, and you have the confidence to take advantage of that!

Lots of fun to watch!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Moto

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »
Really impressive again. Please post all you can.

Moto

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »
Did you say it's a Le Mans 2...?
Too much of this will not be enough. I'd like to see all you have.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:05:10 PM by Huzo »

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 01:13:07 PM »
I've been riding g this bike for nearly 40 years,  the tonti frame is very good for the era, but still a bit bendy. Before I learnt about France bracing I did s number of track days with it, there is a turn at mid ohio, and coming onto the straight at grattan that would start a weave every time. Enough tobe obvious to spectators. That flexibilitywas a good tutor tobe Smooth. Now withthe Frame bracing, I can be much more aggressive, but i do not think that is any faster, but in emergency situationsit can be useful.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 02:04:03 PM »
A great thing about your Guzzi is that it doesn't sound like it's even breathing hard out there on the track, passing Ducatis and Japanese fours.

What are you winding it up to in the gears, and what gearing do you have to allow it to pull full RPMS in top gear?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 02:37:01 PM »
Looking good. Is the transmission stock or close ratio? Also where do you put the frame brace? Been a few years since I did a track day on my 850 but this brings back memories.

Pete

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »
Transmission and bevel drive are stock. I usually rev it to about 7400 but if I get trigger happy it sometimes gets up to about 8000. There are four brace points, swingarm, battery tray, clutch housing to frame, and timing case to frame, they help a lot, it really lets you push inthe corners unless it's bumpy.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
Re: more gingerman racining
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »
It appears you have a strong motor given how you are able to overtake these guys. I have close ratio gearbox now and once wound up in first (now about the same as 1.7 compared to original) it winds up much faster in each gear. Besides the slower take off top speed is lower due to lower 5th. Somewhere between 125 and 130 at 8k RPM. Manfred Hecht put in stronger valve springs and even sometimes missing gears no top end damage yet in 25 years.
Keep up the good work.
Do you ever race WERA or only AHRMA?

Pete
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:25:02 PM by PeteS »

Offline acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »
I live in ohio so I do the AMA vintage days and usually Grattan with WERA although I didn't do Grattan this year, it doesn't usually get a good turnout but I do like the track. I would have probably tried a close ratio box if they weren't thousands of dollars. Mine is original and the only things I've replaced are the forks and seals, remarkably robust, as is the bevel drive, again I've only replaced seals.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here