Author Topic: Cold start lever '75 Convert Help  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
Cold start lever '75 Convert Help
« on: January 25, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »
HI, I have a '75 Convert. The cold start lever does not stay in the start up position. Adjusting the cables has no affect on the lever. I'd like to remove it for inspection. Is there any links regarding this?
Thx, Andy
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Cold start lever '75 Convert Help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »
It's typical for the lever "bottom" to become rounded off, the "fix" is to replace the lever with one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-Choke-Lever-for-Dellorto-Carbs/254041070620?hash=item3b26071c1c:g:El0AAOSw2Ptasxdr:rk:6:pf:0

You need to remove the whole assembly, disassemble it (IIRC a threaded cap screws off the metal tube), drive the rivet out and install the new lever.

Or you could go with individual enrichers: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=666

Personally, I don't find the "choke" necessary - just two twists of the throttle, start the engine and feather the throttle until it's warm enough to idle. I avoid using the "choke"/enrichers if at all possible - the enricher jet/starter jet Guzzi fitted (a #80) is way too large and causes raw fuel to be dumped into the cylinders. Not good. You could try to find a pair of #60 enricher jets/starter jets which would help.
Charlie

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 01:12:24 PM »
Charlie is right.  The original plastic flip lever wears rounded and no longer stays in the vertical open position.  The short bottom end should be more than 90 degrees from the body so that the lever goes "over-center" and stays there.  It is possible to hand compress the system and drive out the tiny pin that holds the lever to the actuating shaft.  You can then file or sand the bottom edge so that it stands past vertical.  Back in service you may note that the 'choke' is just slightly less open or active than before.  The original plastic lever is old and brittle and will wear again fairly quickly.  The true fix is an aluminum replacement as suggested above.  You might also scrounge a better quality original from someone's spare parts stash.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 02:38:03 PM »
Thanks Guys.
I just got the Convert and in the process of sorting it out. Was able to start it up yesterday by using a small clamp to hold the lever up. First time with an auto drive and first timer to Italian Bikes. So I'm bringing myself up to speed on Dellorto carbs. I'm really liking the "relaxed" feel and found myself pulling in the clutch when it wasn't necessary.  Want to have the Convert to ride while restoring my Monza.

Thx, Andy
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 02:38:03 PM »

Offline convertaddict

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 07:02:38 AM »
Replaced the plastic lever by a homemade stainless steel lever using a woodruff key.

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 03:22:33 PM »
It's typical for the lever "bottom" to become rounded off, the "fix" is to replace the lever with one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moto-Guzzi-Choke-Lever-for-Dellorto-Carbs/254041070620?hash=item3b26071c1c:g:El0AAOSw2Ptasxdr:rk:6:pf:0

You need to remove the whole assembly, disassemble it (IIRC a threaded cap screws off the metal tube), drive the rivet out and install the new lever.

Or you could go with individual enrichers: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=666

Personally, I don't find the "choke" necessary - just two twists of the throttle, start the engine and feather the throttle until it's warm enough to idle. I avoid using the "choke"/enrichers if at all possible - the enricher jet/starter jet Guzzi fitted (a #80) is way too large and causes raw fuel to be dumped into the cylinders. Not good. You could try to find a pair of #60 enricher jets/starter jets which would help.

:thumb: :thumb:

Agreed, I rarely use mine to start...one or two twists and up she goes...I did put a Dyna lll EI in a few years ago and I love it
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 08:15:55 PM »
knock the roll pin out and refile the contour of the bottom.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 06:02:01 AM »
Thanks Guys.
I just got the Convert and in the process of sorting it out. Was able to start it up yesterday by using a small clamp to hold the lever up. First time with an auto drive and first timer to Italian Bikes. So I'm bringing myself up to speed on Dellorto carbs. I'm really liking the "relaxed" feel and found myself pulling in the clutch when it wasn't necessary.  Want to have the Convert to ride while restoring my Monza.

Thx, Andy

To keep from muscle memory pulling in the clutch lever you can also simply just remove it as its not a necessity. Simply put the convert in high range and ride.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »

To keep from muscle memory pulling in the clutch lever you can also simply just remove it as its not a necessity. Simply put the convert in high range and ride.

I thought it was needed for start up only?
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 09:49:20 AM »
 As I mentioned earlier doing a tear down of the Monza now. Will do the same for Convert in the spring. Went with the individual enrichers for now due to the cables being bad shape too. This gives me riding time to evaluate everything and make a need to do list.

Can you guys give a list of favorite lubricants.

Thanks to all,
Andy
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »
I thought it was needed for start up only?

Lots of folks have removed theirs, I left mine in place and use it as intended: for when you're first starting and to shift between ranges. Once the engine is warm, I just hold the brakes with the foot pedal and start the engine.

Can you guys give a list of favorite lubricants.

Uh oh. Oil thread.  :grin: My favorites:
- Shell Rotella T4 15w40 in the engine
- CRC Sta-Lube GL-4 Gear Oil in the two-speed gearbox part of the transmission and rear drive (20 cc moly added in the rear drive)
- Whatever brand I can find of Dexron ATF for the fluid drive part of the transmission
- Ditto in the forks
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:59:49 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 10:09:04 AM »
Don’t confuse shifting between ranges on a Convert as something acceptable to do while moving. You only select the range when the bike is at a complete stop.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »
Uh oh. Oil thread.  :grin: My favorites:
- Shell Rotella T4 15w40 in the engine
- CRC Sta-Lube GL-4 Gear Oil in the two-speed gearbox part of the transmission and rear drive (20 cc moly added in the rear drive)
- Whatever brand I can find of Dexron ATF for the fluid drive part of the transmission
- Ditto in the forks

Yeah, Sorry but I had to ask. On other boards it can get pretty ugly too.
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

Offline Acme Monza

• New Egg
  • Run-in on Empty
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 10:32:25 AM »
Don’t confuse shifting between ranges on a Convert as something acceptable to do while moving. You only select the range when the bike is at a complete stop.

Yes, before picking the bike up I did my research. Wanted to know as much as possible before pulling the trigger. That research led me to this great forum.

Thanks
1981 V50 Monza
1975 Convert
Monterey, CA

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here