Author Topic: V7 ii Panniers  (Read 2226 times)

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
  • It takes a big dog to weigh a ton.
V7 ii Panniers
« on: March 16, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »
I just got a new-to-me 2016 V7 ii Stone. It has the OEM luggage rack and GIVI Easylock saddlebag holders. The Easylocks look fine for soft bags, but I have some Cravens that I would like to mount and I'm concerned about overloading the GIVI brackets.

Do the Hepco brackets fit with the Guzzi luggage rack? That information might be in some older posts, but I have not found it.

I also have some Hepco Journeys, but they will probably dwarf the V7 ii.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
Re: V7 ii Panniers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:12:41 PM »
Either nobody likes me or I actually asked a question that no one can answer?
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 09:42:24 PM »
OK, just so you don't feel neglected, I'll answer, but as I'm not a fan of hard luggage, I can be of limited help to your dilemma. I prefer soft luggage -  on the V7C I run Ortlieb saddlebags on a custom frame, and on the V7 Special, a Wolfman Beta Plus, both of which with an Ortlieb rack pack on the OEM rack work just fine.  In the archives here you'll find many threads on V7 luggage, with preferences split between hard & soft.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »
I just got a new-to-me 2016 V7 ii Stone. It has the OEM luggage rack and GIVI Easylock saddlebag holders. The Easylocks look fine for soft bags, but I have some Cravens that I would like to mount and I'm concerned about overloading the GIVI brackets.

Do the Hepco brackets fit with the Guzzi luggage rack? That information might be in some older posts, but I have not found it.

I also have some Hepco Journeys, but they will probably dwarf the V7 ii.

hahahahahahahahaha - don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

I just picked up a V7 and am also looking at luggage options.  I must have launched a couple of hundred internet searches for luggage options and mostly what I am seeing is limited.

Personally, I wanted some manner of "Pony Express" single flap leather bags, but cannot find any pictures - and the issue here is that they would need to be mounted as close to the frame as possible or they'd look like crap - all sticking out there.  Of all the mounting systems, there's no rear profile pics.   

And, what are the dimension of the frames?  How big of a saddlebag in order to cover the frame area?.  Etc.

And what fits with what?  I ordered the Hepco & Becker rear rack, so I "assume" that the other HB products are compatible - but haven't found anything that actually supports that assumption.

Am now researching Moto Guzzi rally dates and locations in order that I may catch a glimpse of that perfect setup.

I suppose that I could send email to Givi and to HB and ask about compatibility.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:08:35 AM by kballowe »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
I like soft luggage, but since I live in the Chicago burbs and work downtown, I need something a bit more vandal resistant.

The Hepco Becker equipment is sturdy, works well and is fairly expensive. You get what you pay for.
Typically, a Hepco rear rack will work with their pannier brackets - either loop or C-Bow. If you have a question, fire an email to Moto Machines. Ed is quite helpful.

Since my V7 came with the Guzzi luggage rack, I was trying to find out if anyone has tried Hepco brackets with that rack. I can pull the rack off the bike, but I don't want to give up on it quite that easily (since I already own it). I decided today that the GIVI Easylock brackets are not strong enough for my purposes, so I pulled them off.

I will say that I really like the V7. I had a Breva 1100 that I never warmed up to, but after only about 35 miles on the V7 (the weather has been quite cold and crappy here in Chicagoland), I'm really enjoying the smaller bike. It handles like a Morini 3 1/2 but has a lot more grunt. When I was in high school, a 750 was a big bike, so I'm just trying to relive my long departed youth. Except that in high school, I was riding a Yamaha DT-1, so this is a step up. I'm going to ride around looking for Norton Commandos (well, the old ones) and BSA Thunderbolts.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline harrytief

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:48:18 PM »
Do a search here and you will find a member who restored and mounted a set of vintage craven hard luggage on a white V7. Lovely bike and great pics including closeups of the guzzi rack that was used.
Harry

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:31:45 PM »
I just did the search and was directed to ADVRider. I have seen this thread before. His Cravens look much better than mine do and he did a really nice job with the mounting. I have a pair of Concordes (the new company still make them and they look similar to mine) and what I think is a Sportsman top case. I've had the panniers on a Triumph Bonneville by using Hepco-Becker side racks and some fasteners that I got from Happy Trail. I could see part of the bracket peeking out around the bags, but I felt that the combination works well and is quite sturdy. My only complaint is that, at least on the Bonneville, the racks stick out just a bit too much on each side of the bike.

But with the Hepco racks, I could always mount my Journeys. But they are so large (42 liters) that they will visually overwhelm the V7 ii. Sort of like having a pig strapped to each side of the bike.
2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline circlip

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
Harry - I just re-read your post. That is a Guzzi luggage rack that the Cravens were hung on?
My rack looks nothing like that one. Mine mounts only to the four bolts under the seat, not to the top of the shocks.

I just found the one that I have on the AF1 website, it is the Small Luggage Rack, not the Rear Rack.
I wonder how many of these Small Luggage Racks that Guzzi has sold in the US.

2018 V7 III Milano
2021 KTM 390 Adventure

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 12:38:22 AM »
hahahahahahahahaha - don't feel like the Lone Ranger.

I just picked up a V7 and am also looking at luggage options.  I must have launched a couple of hundred internet searches for luggage options and mostly what I am seeing is limited.

Personally, I wanted some manner of "Pony Express" single flap leather bags, but cannot find any pictures - and the issue here is that they would need to be mounted as close to the frame as possible or they'd look like crap - all sticking out there.  Of all the mounting systems, there's no rear profile pics.   

And, what are the dimension of the frames?  How big of a saddlebag in order to cover the frame area?.  Etc.

And what fits with what?  I ordered the Hepco & Becker rear rack, so I "assume" that the other HB products are compatible - but haven't found anything that actually supports that assumption.

Am now researching Moto Guzzi rally dates and locations in order that I may catch a glimpse of that perfect setup.

I suppose that I could send email to Givi and to HB and ask about compatibility.

I posted recently how to make light frames for leather bags from chopping board grade plastic.
If you mount to shock top bolt and rear frame or rack all you need is to keep bags from shock.
If you buy generic mounts not only do they mount them wide but also high, completely wrong.
Search my posts
Ideal size for us and is 13”x13” x 5” with 20 deg angle for her legs
Thanks

Offline harrytief

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
Circlip
The WG member's name was "Penderic". Do a search here and you should find pics. IRIC, the rear rack he used was made by guzzi. I have a similiar set of cravens with the craven rack from a vintage BMW that will go on the cx100 hotrod.
Harry

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:30 AM »
I like the 30L HB Juniors on the V7. Sturdy and simple, they complement the bike beautifully...

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
I like the 30L HB Juniors on the V7. Sturdy and simple, they complement the bike beautifully...

Do you have pictures ?
We want pictures
 :gotpics:

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 12:39:00 PM »
I have the Hepco and Becker C-Bow setup and I am very happy with them.

2017 V9 Roamer

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here