Author Topic: Optional way to transport a motorcycle  (Read 5476 times)

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: new way to transport a motorcycle
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2022, 12:26:05 PM »
I think it would work fine. The steering head is up to the task and so are the forks even though unforeseen stresses may be involved. I would do it like you and pay close attention until I proved to myself it was ok. An extra backup camera on it would be helpful.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
Re: Optional way to transport a motorcycle
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2022, 02:55:43 PM »
For me and my big Victory, the MoTow simply isn't, and shouldn't be, an option. But please pass along the MotoLug video and see if MoTow would or could design something similar.

https://www.motolug.com/index.php?route=common/home

This version, made in SC is only about $300 more than the MoTow and could also be an option.

vhttps://theusatrailerstore.com/ace-single-motorcycle-trailer/

I really like the look of that motolug!

You're correct, it's not for baggers. Heck, it won't even accommodate the Jackal due to the way the fender protrudes, modification would allow it, but nah.

The unique thing about the MoTow, and what has made it a versatile device, is the simple but VERY robust mechanical lift. It's simply a lead screw. They've taken this core idea and built around it: The MoTow bike hitch, a really nice stainless steel E-Bike carrier, and a Dirt Bike tray, like what we've all seen, or you can just purchase the lift attachment and find you're own use, such as the large decks that people use to carry storage bins and coolers off the back of their SUV/RV or whatnot. The ability to simply and effortlessly (think the fairer sex piloting an RV) raise and lower whatever it is is a/the main point.

With that in mind I don't know if a small bike trailer would make sense for them. It puts them right up against many many of other products that do that job really well, as you've shown!

"Interested in your critique of this bike hitch. New take on an old idea"  :popcorn:

Check out the Atlas Hitch video at the 0:23 second mark from 2019

Woop! there it is! That one goes both ways. I poured over pages of Google returns and never saw that item. I stand corrected! Title edited!
That's a beefy unit with a far greater capacity, and of course, weighs much more. Seems MoTow can't handle the big bikes, And theirs can't do the small one's, so that leaves room for everyone.

To anyone who likes what they see, the MoTow company said WG members could get a little break. I'll start another SPAM thread, and reference this discussion for curious folks. But if you go on the site and enter WG05 at checkout, you'll get a 5% discount. On the full monty that's about $50.00, so, you know, it's nice.

https://motowus.com/products/

« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 03:07:53 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2022, 03:32:25 PM »

throughout the country, even as the owner of a half million dollar home, your HOA will not allow a trailer on the property. In cities everywhere, urban dwellers have no room for a trailer. Trailers cost a mint and need to be registered annually and stored someplace. This goes in the hall closet/trunk/bed of the truck.
Good point and good idea!!

The no trailer POA problem was addressed decades ago by Kendon:

https://www.kendonusa.com/collections/go-series-motorcycle-trailers/products/go-series-single-rail-ride-up-folding-motorcycle-trailer

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2022, 03:44:11 PM »
The no trailer POA problem was addressed decades ago by Kendon:

https://www.kendonusa.com/collections/go-series-motorcycle-trailers/products/go-series-single-rail-ride-up-folding-motorcycle-trailer

have you seen one of these? they're not small. If you have two cars and a two car garage, this won't fit. Ask me how I know. Either the trailer or one of the cars has to stay outside.  The Motow takes up the space of one of the kendon's wheels, weighs less than 40# and costs $1800.00 less. The Kendon is awesome, but it doesn't meet the need as you describe. You still need significant space indoors. Not the case with many homes and urban dwellers. 
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2022, 03:44:11 PM »

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2022, 03:48:44 PM »
Whatever happened to good old "Trailer in a Bag".
That was the best of both worlds.

remove duplicate text
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2022, 05:46:37 PM »
have you seen one of these? they're not small. If you have two cars and a two car garage, this won't fit. Ask me how I know. Either the trailer or one of the cars has to stay outside.  The Motow takes up the space of one of the kendon's wheels, weighs less than 40# and costs $1800.00 less. The Kendon is awesome, but it doesn't meet the need as you describe. You still need significant space indoors. Not the case with many homes and urban dwellers.

seen 'em.  used 'em.   they're great.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2022, 05:46:57 PM »
Whatever happened to good old "Trailer in a Bag".
That was the best of both worlds.

remove duplicate text

No this is the best of both worlds. I've used one of these for almost 20 years to transport my track bikes. Cheap, light, 10min to unfold, stores anywhere, robust. The only mods I did to mine was aluminium checker plate on the deck and 2 split channels under the deck which I slide the ramp into and retail with quick release pins. Oh and a "wheel chock" that bolts to the deck instead of the std channel. So all up it cost me around $650au back in the day. Slide the ramp out from under the trailer and roll the bike up onto the deck and it locates in the wheel chock while you strap it down.

http://www.easytrailer.com.au/page10.html

Ciao

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2022, 07:11:49 AM »
The list to starboard that we observe in Kidsmoke's video is a bit worrisome. Maybe he could comment on how hard it would be to correct this the next time. I think that MoTow may have dropped an initial 1 1/4" hitch model due to concerns about this sort of thing. I also noted that they began including a hitch-stabilizer clamp with every MoTow about year or so ago. Whether or not listing or rotation around the listing axis is really a  potential cause of structural damage to the bike, it is enough to worry the owner. The company reacted suitably to counter this worry.

Thanks for your observations Moto.

I highlighted part of your comment above as a means of addressing the 'list to starboard'. Yup there is one and nope, it wasn't installed for my driveway video, so the modest 'slop' typical of a 2" receiver union was on display there.

Hope you saw mention of the WG discount.

Cheers.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2022, 10:26:02 AM »
My father made a simple towing device to get me and my girlfriend back over the snowed-in Rockies in Fall, 1974. It hitched the fork tubes to the trailer hitch via the front wheel axle. Ever since, I've thought of making my own hitch that would correct the biggest flaw of his design and of all hitches that allow the motorcycle to pivot on the front fork.

That flaw is this. When the towing vehicle backs up and executes any kind of turn, no matter how slight, the motorcycle pivots on its steering stem. Since the stem is angled back from vertical by 20 degrees or more, the only way the bike can perform the pivot requires the steering stem to depart even further from the vertical. (Otherwise the rear wheel would have to be up in the air! Think about it.) This dipping quickly progresses to the point that the bike will lie down on the ground to be run over by the tow vehicle if one is not careful. 

For many years I tried to sketch out designs that would introduce a vertical pivot axis, separate from the steering stem, while supporting the front of the motorcycle, with or without the wheel removed. It always got complicated, and I never built one.

MoTow's design solves the vertical axis problem and also reverses the motorcycle to put the front wheel on the ground. Reversing the motorcycle simplifies attaching it rigidly to the provided vertical axis since the rear wheel forms a rigid (more or less) extension of the frame. Holding the front fork in a neutral position then becomes as simple as adding some tie-downs, which is an adequate solution because only the minor deviating forces introduced from the front wheel itself have to be controlled, rather than the much larger forces needed to stabilize the whole motorcycle in a non-reversed design. This is brilliant, and well deserving a patent (which I think has been obtained or applied for). The end result is a towed motorcycle that does not try to disappear beneath your rear bumper when backing up, and which should back just like any small trailer, as reported.

The reversed attachment of the motorcycle also saves worrying about transmission damage, or removing a messy chain. Though a Guzzi can be towed thousands of miles (as I have found) with the rear wheel on the ground and the drive shaft spinning away, many would hesitate to do this. So the reversed mounting is also a big selling point in this respect.

Other obvious advantages have been discussed, including the ability to carry the device in one's trunk or store it easily in a small space in the garage, and the ease with which a single person can mount the motorcycle on the hitch (especially with a drill or the optional motor). The savings on gas mileage will be very large, based on my own later experiences with my Dad's device -- there was almost no mileage penalty at all.

As for theoretical drawbacks, the idea that the forks are built only to handle forces from the front is wrong, based on my examination of forks. Though engineers could have built them in the proposed way, making them more liable to failure from forces applied from the rear, they did not. An examination of the construction of triple trees and forks shows a symmetry that means they are as strong from the rear as from the front, at least on every street motorcycle and racing motorcycle I have ever seen or seen described. Furthermore, the fore-and-aft forces that need to be dealt with are extremely small compared with full application of the bike's brakes: the front brakes will not be used at all. This is not a valid concern.

The rotational torque introduced through the rear wheel and the trailer hitch is an appropriate concern. I discussed this with an extremely experienced and skilled professional welder, who declared emphatically that that the 2-inch hitch will have no problem at all, based on his and everyone's experience of towing heavy construction equipment with these things. This leaves the question of the ability of the motorcycle's rear axle, rear wheel, swing arm, and swing arm pivot to handle these torques. Here the lack of product complaints or returns will have to be sufficient. It is possible a torque from some pot hole hit by the towing vehicle could tweak one or more of those parts, but I doubt this would happen. Certainly the limitation to sub-600lb. bikes helps here, since they provide less resistance to these torques.

The list to starboard that we observe in Kidsmoke's video is a bit worrisome. Maybe he could comment on how hard it would be to correct this the next time. I think that MoTow may have dropped an initial 1 1/4" hitch model due to concerns about this sort of thing. I also noted that they began including a hitch-stabilizer clamp with every MoTow about year or so ago. Whether or not listing or rotation around the listing axis is really a  potential cause of structural damage to the bike, it is enough to worry the owner. The company reacted suitably to counter this worry.

This device is not meant to tow large touring bikes, of course. You are supposed to ride those on tours! But it is suitable to tow Guzzi big blocks (all of which weigh five-fiddy, per Chuck in Indiana) clean across the continent to where the plains fall away and the mountains rise in purple majesty. I plan to do that this summer.

Sorry if I left out reactions to the reader's own suggested worry.

I've said all I have to say. Thanks.

Moto
Well, that’s put my mind at rest..
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 10:47:06 AM by Huzo »

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2022, 10:35:32 AM »
Bicycle carrier I own slips into a standard receiver.
The manufacturer press fit  a bushing horizontally inside the square tubing in between the fixing holes in the square tube. They also threaded one of the fitting holes in the square tube.

The tube slides into the receiver and is retained with a strong bolt that threads into the tube clamping against the receiver. Securely tightening the bolt clamps the tube firmly against the side of the receiver. There is no rotational movement possible. The bushing prevents the possibility of collapsing the square tube through rigorous tightening.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2022, 10:52:36 AM »
I think there's another issue you may have erroneously dismissed earlier.
The steering head is designed to take the forces of braking, bumps, or portholes at an angle that allows the suspension to compress the motion dissipating much of the forces at play.

When you reverse that angle you instead create a lever that is going to stress the steering head on impacts instead of compressing the suspension.
Damn right.. :thumb:

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2022, 01:05:17 PM »

As for theoretical drawbacks, the idea that the forks are built only to handle forces from the front is wrong, based on my examination of forks. Though engineers could have built them in the proposed way, making them more liable to failure from forces applied from the rear, they did not. An examination of the construction of triple trees and forks shows a symmetry that means they are as strong from the rear as from the front, at least on every street motorcycle and racing motorcycle I have ever seen or seen described. Furthermore, the fore-and-aft forces that need to be dealt with are extremely small compared with full application of the bike's brakes: the front brakes will not be used at all. This is not a valid concern.

I think this argument misses the point (but I admit the point could be wrong).

Whether we're talking about braking forces or a pothole the forks are angled forward, toward the vector of the force, meaning they are designed to compress inner and outer tubes with the mechanical spring and hydraulic damping to help dissipate forces.

But angled away from the pothole or bump more force is applied as a lever and less directly vectored towards compression.

At least that's my most rudimentary estimation.

I guess the question is how much is too much (if we accept the forces are different).

But I've been able to dent a Brembo wheel on a pothole in normal operation, I would worry about more than just the wheel like this.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 05:20:02 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2022, 02:56:25 PM »
I think this argument misses the point (but I admit the point could be wrong).

Whether we're talking about braking forces or a pothole the forks are angled forward, toward the vector of the force, meaning they are designed to compress inner and outer tubes with the mechanical spring and hydraulic damping to help dissipate forces.

But angled away from the pothole or bump more force is applied as a lever and less directly vectored towards compression.

At least that's my most rudimentary estimation.

I guess the question is how much is too much (if we accept the forces are different).

But I've been able to denya Brembo wheel on a pothole in normal operation, I would worry about more than just the wheel like this.

I see your point, which I was not considering before.

I think the reason the forks are angled as they are has to do with steering geometry, not dissipation of pothole impacts. Nonetheless, they are better angled for the potholes than they would be when reversed, on the MoTow.

What I see in the forks is a couple of robust steel pipes, chosen to withstand about 1 g of force from the front on braking. I think their overall construction is remarkably symmetrical fore-and-aft, as I said. I'd be surprised if they would be damaged from any pothole impact while facing backwards, but you can never say never.

So, you've got a theoretical point. But I don't think it would be important in practice, as the experience of the builders of the MoTow, as it was related to Kidsmoke, suggests.

Robust stainless steel MoTow, robust front forks, robust Guzzi frame, I'm good with all that.

Moto

P.S. Don't forget the front of the bike is lightly loaded while on the MoTow, since the rider is missing. Also, the brakes will never be applied. I'd be more worried about the wheel rim than the fork, as usual. But less worried overall.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 03:39:20 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2022, 05:01:04 PM »
There is also the thing about having a wheel on the centreline of your vehicle.
When you encounter an obstacle on the road, you will be hard pressed to stop yourself from instinctively adjusting your line so as to put that obstacle equidistant from the two steer wheels of your  truck.
Doing so will result in the bike wheel colliding with that obstacle.
There are some things that routinely occur when travelling that would place the welfare of the bike in jeopardy that you have zero chance of being able to mitigate.
It’s just “hang on and hope..”.
Kev (re)made the point about the cruel treatment of the front end cleaner than I did….
Also as Scout said..”Like putting a dog (in a cage) on the roof…”

It all just seems heartless to me.. :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:04:20 PM by Huzo »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2022, 05:23:43 PM »
I see your point, which I was not considering before.

I think the reason the forks are angled as they are has to do with steering geometry, not dissipation of pothole impacts. Nonetheless, they are better angled for the potholes than they would be when reversed, on the MoTow.

What I see in the forks is a couple of robust steel pipes, chosen to withstand about 1 g of force from the front on braking. I think their overall construction is remarkably symmetrical fore-and-aft, as I said. I'd be surprised if they would be damaged from any pothole impact while facing backwards, but you can never say never.

So, you've got a theoretical point. But I don't think it would be important in practice, as the experience of the builders of the MoTow, as it was related to Kidsmoke, suggests.

Robust stainless steel MoTow, robust front forks, robust Guzzi frame, I'm good with all that.

Moto

P.S. Don't forget the front of the bike is lightly loaded while on the MoTow, since the rider is missing. Also, the brakes will never be applied. I'd be more worried about the wheel rim than the fork, as usual. But less worried overall.

Agreed on the light load.

But I still wonder about the lever on the bearings.

I'm a little confused as to the experience of the builders. If they've been doing this for 40 years and there's hundreds out there (not a great ratio to years or total number) , then why are they asking us.

Or did I misread one or more of those numbers on the beach today? (Again, a fair possibility).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2022, 05:31:48 PM »

It all just seems heartless to me.. :popcorn:

Well, Huzo, don't do it.

I've driven thousands of miles towing motorcycles with rigs like this, but that used the steering stem as the pivot. I've had zero problems running over stuff in the center of the lane with the motorcycle wheel.

Your hand wringing is mostly to get attention, I believe. Enjoy it.

850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
Well, Huzo, don't do it.

I've driven thousands of miles towing motorcycles with rigs like this, but that used the steering stem as the pivot. I've had zero problems running over stuff in the center of the lane with the motorcycle wheel.

I guess it depends on the kind of roads you travel. I personally see Huzos point as I spend about 10% of my driving attention dodging road potholes and surface issues on our country roads. I think this whole "towing the motorcycle like a trailer" is just a stupid idea, there I've said it. I also think sidecars are silly things as well. There are things a motorcycle is made to do and being dragged by one wheel behind a truck or lugging a great chunk of dead weight bolted to the side of it aren't any of them in my world. If you want to transport a motorcycle use a properly set up trailer, or a truck or van. My view.

Ciao

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2022, 06:20:18 PM »
Wonder what riders on Trikes or CanAm's do?

Have the single wheel cop a hiding I'd imagine.

Ciao

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2022, 07:06:58 PM »
Well, Huzo, don't do it.

Nah, I used to make a good living getting attention and it didn’t involve hand wringing…
But anyway.
He did ask for comment. He said he thought the comments were valid in principle.
Oh and as for not doing it..?
Thanks, I’ll take that advice.. :
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:25:12 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2022, 07:11:34 PM »
Suffer and hide from people who know them ?

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2022, 08:09:32 PM »
Agreed on the light load.

But I still wonder about the lever on the bearings.

I'm a little confused as to the experience of the builders. If they've been doing this for 40 years and there's hundreds out there (not a great ratio to years or total number) , then why are they asking us.

Or did I misread one or more of those numbers on the beach today? (Again, a fair possibility).

Designed in 2018. Brought ‘to market’ the following year. I think you merged a couple comments. :)

The designer/patent holder is/was an expat who chose to move home. There is a new owner who is taking this to another level. Brick and mortar. Employees. Etc. She is not a motorcyclist as was the designer (designed this for himself and found a public clamoring for more) they also sell an E-Bike carrier, which IS in her wheelhouse.

She asked me personally about concerns a motorcyclist might have and I in turn thought I’d put it to ya’ll. One of my more enlightened ideas, I’d say.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 08:16:13 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2022, 08:20:33 PM »

Had a Can Am owner use the MoTow and reported it a smashing success. Owner’s review in his own words is on the site.

1200# on a MoTow. Thing really is robust.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2022, 07:28:49 AM »
Designed in 2018. Brought ‘to market’ the following year. I think you merged a couple comments. :)

:thumb:  ah thanks, wouldn't be the first time I did...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2022, 11:24:46 PM »
Was thinking about this set up today. This would be GREAT when I need to take my truck in for service. Hook the bike up to the back. Drop the truck off, stow the tow rig in the bed, and ride off. Easy to hook back up when the truck is finished.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2022, 08:50:52 AM »
That’s a really great looking G5 Kidsmoke.

Yes. Yes it is.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2022, 09:52:39 AM »
That’s a really great looking G5 Kidsmoke.

Yes. Yes it is.  :smiley:

Thanks lads. It's a creampuff. Came through a top finishing school. Good genes.

Was thinking about this set up today. This would be GREAT when I need to take my truck in for service. Hook the bike up to the back. Drop the truck off, stow the tow rig in the bed, and ride off. Easy to hook back up when the truck is finished.-AJ

Agreed. Ideal.

If you do something, don't forget the discount code: WG05

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2023, 01:15:17 PM »
I towed my T3 about 1600 miles round trip to ride with my brother in the Black Hills last fall,

and realize I have useful empirical data to add about the MoTow's performance. I'll be brief, I hope.

Tire wear: none noticeable. Here's a profile I just took from the front tire, a Conti Classic Attack that now has about 3000 miles on it, not necessarily the best option for straight-line work:

Fuel economy effects from towing: None that I can really see. My highway mpg figures for the fill-ups  out and back were: 29.2, 29.2, and 27.7. I took US 20 both ways. These are quite similar to a 2011 round trip from Madison to Idaho in the same car, not towing anything: 25.4, 26.6, 27.1, 29.5, 28.4, 22.7, 29.7, 27.1. That was on the Interstate though.

There is also the thing about having a wheel on the centreline of your vehicle.
When you encounter an obstacle on the road, you will be hard pressed to stop yourself from instinctively adjusting your line so as to put that obstacle equidistant from the two steer wheels of your  truck.
Doing so will result in the bike wheel colliding with that obstacle.

I guess it depends on the kind of roads you travel. I personally see Huzos point as I spend about 10% of my driving attention dodging road potholes and surface issues on our country roads. I think this whole "towing the motorcycle like a trailer" is just a stupid idea, there I've said it.

I found no ill effects on the motorcycle from this. The problem was really severe in one Black Hills town, Hot Springs SD, where all the main roads seemed to be dug up for some reason. It really seemed like I was digging a furrow through town, the scraping was so bad. There was no way to avoid all the irregularities. Quite embarrassing for me, but the bike just bounced up and down on both its rear and front suspensions without incident. I wore away some of the lowest hanging stainless steel of the MoTow and mangled the lowest strap buckle, but that was due to my inadequate car suspension. No structural damage to the MoTow.

I weighed the back wheel of my T3 at 298 lbs, unladen. This plus the 40+ lbs for the MoTow was more than my car could deal with. So I bought a better car afterwards.

I didn't have any problems with the tow aside from the scaping. The T3 survived unharmed. I plan to tow my Royal Enfield down to Arkansas this weekend for some better weather. I recommend the MoTow without reservation, if you have a vehicle that can deal with a high tongue weight.

Moto
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 01:53:05 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Offline robertx901

• New Egg
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2023, 03:30:39 PM »
I've considered the Motow option for my Moto Guzzi V700 but in their description they say you need 15″ of clearance on the motorcycle rear wheel (measured from ground to fender). The fender on my Guzzi doesn't quite have 15" of clearance. A shame, because at times I'd like to tow mine short distances and would probably get one.

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2023, 04:33:43 PM »
I've considered the Motow option for my Moto Guzzi V700 but in their description they say you need 15″ of clearance on the motorcycle rear wheel (measured from ground to fender). The fender on my Guzzi doesn't quite have 15" of clearance. A shame, because at times I'd like to tow mine short distances and would probably get one.

I just did some measuring of my wheel cradle. The top edge of the back wheel brace is actually somewhat more than 15" off the floor, but I suppose that as you roll the wheel on it gains clearance by resting on the bottom part of the cradle. If you carefully considered the elevation of the fender as you roll the bike into the cradle, inch-by-inch, you might see that it would clear. I'd be willing to make more careful measurements of the cradle for you. It seems possible that using a 3/4" board as an on-ramp to the cradle might do it, depending on more careful measurements.

You also might contact the company for advice if you have only a small clearance deficiency. The owner, in particular, is intelligent, articulate, and helpful.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2023, 11:11:30 AM »
I like it! I think it would come in handy on an emergency chase vehicle, to bring a broken bike home, or when purchasing a used bike. I know it would have come in handy for me on a few occasions. Trailers are a PITA to store, keep the tires, lights, etc. in good shape.
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here