Author Topic: V85 TT Merged Threadfest  (Read 357034 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V85 TT Merged Threadfest
« Reply #2640 on: November 26, 2022, 05:36:52 PM »
I hope Guzzi is not still chasing BMW!   They have done it for decades and it has almost never been successful.
Ummmm…. :embarrassed:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2641 on: November 26, 2022, 05:37:45 PM »
Concept bike. Code for "will never make it into production."

If I see another Oberdan Bezzi puerile fantasy, I may just vomit.

:violent1:
Don’t you just love him ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2642 on: November 26, 2022, 05:38:59 PM »
Only a couple of days waiting to EICMA, followed by 5 years wait, and then 2 years to figure out the recall won’t happen.
Enjoy the past
That’s half way through the first page..!

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2643 on: November 26, 2022, 05:44:23 PM »
Speculation by it’s very nature is fraught with danger, but I do love to see people cheerily and self righteously digging a hole for themselves that they will ultimately end up in…. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :clock:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #2643 on: November 26, 2022, 05:44:23 PM »

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #2644 on: January 30, 2023, 05:16:11 AM »
Hey all, as some of you know, I’ve had about 12 or 13 Geese in these last 19 years of street riding, nearly every iteration.  I am considering purchase of a TT.  The new incentives from MG are hard to pass up but if I should buy used, are there any known issues I should be on the lookout for per se?  Dash failures?  Mechanical issues?  Etc.?
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2645 on: January 30, 2023, 06:03:49 AM »
I have 24xxx miles on my 2020 bought in Summer 2019.  It is a Euro 4 bike.  Thus far, no issues at all.  The only other bike that I had that I could say the same about was a Victory.
If you go for it, I hope you enjoy it.
Blue Guzz

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR on V85TT
« Reply #2646 on: February 17, 2023, 09:09:21 AM »
Has anyone been using the Scorpion Rally STR tires on their V85TT? I'm replacing the OEM Anikee tires and these received good reviews for both on-road (sticky, quiet) and gravel/dirt roads (good bite and lateral grip). Only knock was durability (I'm not a high-mileage rider and these should last me 15-18 months) and mud (which I avoid).

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 09:10:58 AM by egschade »
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Beowulf

• Gosling
Re: Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR on V85TT
« Reply #2647 on: February 18, 2023, 09:08:39 AM »
Probably doesn’t help much but I had a set of pirelli scorpions on my roadster. Different tread pattern. Can’t imagine those wouldn’t do well. But I’ve been wrong before. I liked them.

Been on a continental kick lately.

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
« Reply #2648 on: February 21, 2023, 09:22:24 PM »
  I went thru 2 sets and they were very good both on dry and wet roads with good handling characteristics but,  I didn't get the long term mileage out of them and I'm not a hard riding enthusiast either !  Try them out you may have different results  with your riding abilities/habits/techniques ............The Kid

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #2649 on: February 24, 2023, 06:46:29 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I did get a set and intend to mount them this (very cold) weekend after I seal the wheels so I can go tubeless.

I'll be using marine sealant on the spokes and that super-sticky 3M tape over that to cover/protect things. From everything I've read and seen the combo pretty much ensures a leak free seal provided the wheels are properly prepared.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #2650 on: February 25, 2023, 07:05:47 AM »
Good luck on sealing the wheels Eric! Cleanliness is everything, but I am sure you have read all of the articles, and watched all the same vids I did. If you do have any small spoke leaks when done, a bottle of tire sealant, carefully applied to the rim worked for me and has held for over a year. BTW, I got a great deal on a Metzler Tourance rear ($142) from Chaparral Motorsports, for my V Strom, and it arrives today. I will me more set for dirt roads than previusly. Trying to wear down the front Dunlop 90/10 tire before I replace that one.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline VStarRider

• New Egg
Considering a V85TT
« Reply #2651 on: February 25, 2023, 03:14:35 PM »
Hello, just joined the forum.

I am considering a V85TT, probably a Travel or Centenario model.  I have three bikes, two Royal Enfields and a 2016 Gold Wing.  I am gradually looking for a replacement for the Wing.  I want a smaller, more nimble bike with an adventure bike riding position that can do some light off-roading.

This bike has a lot of features I am looking for. It has cruise, shaft drive, tubeless wheels, heated grips, two year warranty, and is reasonably priced.  Those combination of features are not easy to find.

I skimmed the service manual today to see how easy it is to change the oil, adjust the valves, and remove the wheels as I would do that work myself most of the time.  I was pleasantly surprised to see doing those things looks pretty straightforward.  Looks like screw and nut valve adjusters vs. shim and bucket - major bonus.  I actually like the air-cooled, modestly powered engine.  I also find having a simple key and instrument cluster attractive. My REs have taught me the value of simplicity.

The two things missing are a quickshifter and a nearby dealer.  The closest is 250 miles away.

I know that this will not be a direct replacement for the Wing - and I very hesitant to replace mine because I have done a lot of modifications to it, it is reliable, and Honda dealers are everywhere.  I just cannot get away from the low seat height and weight of the bike.

I am checking in here to see what your thoughts might be on making a move like this.  I am heading out of town in a few weeks and happen to be going to an area that has an MG dealer.  They have several V85TTs in stock.  I will stop by for a test-sit and kick the tires.

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
Re: Considering a V85TT
« Reply #2652 on: February 25, 2023, 03:40:35 PM »
I have the 2022 travel edition I really like the bike easy to handle and does everything I want it to do, hopefully you can find a dealer and do a test ride, I downsized from a 1200 GS great bike but the weight was beginning to be a challenge, good luck in your search I think you’ll like it !!!

54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2653 on: February 25, 2023, 03:44:37 PM »
People here love em. I think they're hideously ugly. But being a favorite bike on the board, you'll get lots of great info here. Welcome!

-AJ
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 04:39:58 PM by AJ Huff »
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2654 on: February 25, 2023, 03:52:17 PM »
People here love em. I think they're hideously ugly. You'll get lots of great info here. Welcome!

-AJ
Yeah, horrible.

Offline VStarRider

• New Egg
« Reply #2655 on: February 25, 2023, 05:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!  Do these bikes have traction control and cornering ABS?  I cannot seem to find an answer to that.

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #2656 on: February 25, 2023, 06:14:20 PM »
traction control and abs standard, don't know if it is cornering or not.  Definitely test ride it if you get the opportunity.
Blue Guzz

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2657 on: February 25, 2023, 07:54:28 PM »
Very confidence inspiring. I find myself riding faster that I should in the curves because the bike can handle it with aplomb!

I personally don't understand the desire for a quickshifter.  Reminds me of the Honda Z50.  Back when we hadn't yet mastered the skill of using a clutch lever.

Of the two bikes you mentioned, only the travel comes with the heated grips already installed, so negotiate them into the centenario purchase if you go that route.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2658 on: February 25, 2023, 08:19:45 PM »
Hello, just joined the forum.

I am considering a V85TT, probably a Travel or Centenario model.  I have three bikes, two Royal Enfields and a 2016 Gold Wing.  I am gradually looking for a replacement for the Wing.  I want a smaller, more nimble bike with an adventure bike riding position that can do some light off-roading.

This bike has a lot of features I am looking for. It has cruise, shaft drive, tubeless wheels, heated grips, two year warranty, and is reasonably priced.  Those combination of features are not easy to find.

I skimmed the service manual today to see how easy it is to change the oil, adjust the valves, and remove the wheels as I would do that work myself most of the time.  I was pleasantly surprised to see doing those things looks pretty straightforward.  Looks like screw and nut valve adjusters vs. shim and bucket - major bonus.  I actually like the air-cooled, modestly powered engine.  I also find having a simple key and instrument cluster attractive. My REs have taught me the value of simplicity.

The two things missing are a quickshifter and a nearby dealer.  The closest is 250 miles away.

I know that this will not be a direct replacement for the Wing - and I very hesitant to replace mine because I have done a lot of modifications to it, it is reliable, and Honda dealers are everywhere.  I just cannot get away from the low seat height and weight of the bike.

I am checking in here to see what your thoughts might be on making a move like this.  I am heading out of town in a few weeks and happen to be going to an area that has an MG dealer.  They have several V85TTs in stock.  I will stop by for a test-sit and kick the tires.

Welcome... Go for the v85. Sounds like you have a firm grasp of what this unique brand brings to the motorcycle experience. You will not regret it and we all look forward to seeing what your second Moto Guzzi will be.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #2659 on: February 25, 2023, 08:45:27 PM »
Yeah, horrible.

Huzo, yours looks a little bit north of AWESOME! Really great looking.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2660 on: February 25, 2023, 10:06:57 PM »
It will have a lot more power than the RE's, less than the GW.   The handling is really outstanding; I had one for awhile and sold it because I am a power junkie.  I thought it was a bit tall to swing a leg over (I'm 32" inseam), but not crazy like some KTM dirt bikes that I've had.  Once moving, the center of gravity is low enough that it is very manuverable.  Get a windscreen that works for you and it is an all-day mileage bike.  I personally think it might be more than a handful off-road, but if off-road is gravel, then it is perfectly fine.  If off-road is single-track, then it is going to be heavy. 
Maintenance is super-easy.
It is a very good motorbike.  I was happy with mine.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2661 on: February 26, 2023, 03:08:08 AM »
Huzo, yours looks a little bit north of AWESOME! Really great looking.
Scott
The ONLY thing that MIGHT be above some guys is the mandrel bent headers, but they are now commercially available…(They weren’t when I did mine and I sort of wanted my own shape.
All I’ve done is the lower guard, low pipe, Denali spots, polished the rims and gotten rid of as much of the black as readily possible.
A couple of other things, but nothing Earth shattering.

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #2662 on: February 26, 2023, 06:22:54 AM »
I’ve come to realize there is no such thing as the perfect motorcycle, but for now the V85tt is about as good as it gets, just my opinion!!!
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2663 on: February 26, 2023, 06:40:25 AM »
Yeah, horrible.

I never even gave a new MG a passing thought until I saw your pictures Peter.  Now I want one just like that. The red really pops.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline VStarRider

• New Egg
« Reply #2664 on: February 26, 2023, 06:55:19 AM »
It will have a lot more power than the RE's, less than the GW.   The handling is really outstanding; I had one for awhile and sold it because I am a power junkie.  I thought it was a bit tall to swing a leg over (I'm 32" inseam), but not crazy like some KTM dirt bikes that I've had.  Once moving, the center of gravity is low enough that it is very manuverable.  Get a windscreen that works for you and it is an all-day mileage bike.  I personally think it might be more than a handful off-road, but if off-road is gravel, then it is perfectly fine.  If off-road is single-track, then it is going to be heavy. 
Maintenance is super-easy.
It is a very good motorbike.  I was happy with mine.

Thanks. Glad to know about the handling - I am not a peg scraper, but I do love to get into it in the curves, safely.  Not going to do anything crazy off-road.  One of my REs is a Himalayan, and I have that if I want to do some serious discovering.  The V85TT would be my longer ride bike, replacing the Wing.  There have been times when I want to take a gravel road or two and don't dare with the Wing.  If a Wing goes down in some mud, might need a helicopter to get it upright again.  Forest roads, gravel, etc. would be all the MG is subjected to.

I see that Madstad and Cal-Sci make windscreen for the V85TT ... I own both on different bikes and would put one on the V85TT.

Offline VStarRider

• New Egg
« Reply #2665 on: February 26, 2023, 06:58:43 AM »
Very confidence inspiring. I find myself riding faster that I should in the curves because the bike can handle it with aplomb!

I personally don't understand the desire for a quickshifter.  Reminds me of the Honda Z50.  Back when we hadn't yet mastered the skill of using a clutch lever.

Of the two bikes you mentioned, only the travel comes with the heated grips already installed, so negotiate them into the centenario purchase if you go that route.

Thank you, I caught that when I was looking at what the different models offered.

I would definitely get factory heated grips, center stand, possibly engine guards. 

Quickshifter - never had one so I want something new.  Have gone back and forth on wanting an Africa Twin DCT for a similar reason.  Not needed, but enhances the ride for what I can tell, just being able to blip the shifter up and down versus clutching.  Just my opinion.

Offline aproud1

• Hatchling
« Reply #2666 on: February 26, 2023, 07:04:22 AM »
Thanks. Glad to know about the handling - I am not a peg scraper, but I do love to get into it in the curves, safely.  Not going to do anything crazy off-road.  One of my REs is a Himalayan, and I have that if I want to do some serious discovering.  The V85TT would be my longer ride bike, replacing the Wing.  There have been times when I want to take a gravel road or two and don't dare with the Wing.  If a Wing goes down in some mud, might need a helicopter to get it upright again.  Forest roads, gravel, etc. would be all the MG is subjected to.

I see that Madstad and Cal-Sci make windscreen for the V85TT ... I own both on different bikes and would put one on the V85TT.

V85tt is very happy to roll down a gravel road. Also very happy to go down curvy pavement. It's a great ride.

Some of us went lower on the windscreen. I angled my stock screen back so clean air hit my helmet but not my chest. Everyone has different preferences though.
In The Car Hole: ‘81 CB650C Basket Case Rehab Bike

The Past: ‘76 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘06 Kawasaki VN750 (pita), ‘18 V7III Milano, '20 V85TT McD, ‘21 Kawasaki W800 (totaled by a drunk dude one fateful morning)

Offline VStarRider

• New Egg
« Reply #2667 on: February 26, 2023, 07:12:30 AM »
I’ve come to realize there is no such thing as the perfect motorcycle, but for now the V85tt is about as good as it gets, just my opinion!!!

I have had that same realization.  Some get as close to 90% of what I am looking for, but there always seems to be one major shortcoming or several small ones.  I like the new VStrom 1050 - but it has chain drive.  Major shortcoming.  I like the Triumph 1200s - but new ones have a 270 degree crank, now a sweet sounding triple sounds like a twin - they have a quirky navigation/touchscreen system - also, they are expensive. Africa Twin DCT makes a lot of sense - but it has a chain drive and has a lot of electronics.  My Wing has a lot of features I like, but it is just too big, too low (seat height 29"), and doesn't have the suspension travel for a great ride.  Believe it or not, my RE Himalayan rides better than my Wing on most roads.   

The only reason I am looking at bikes that big is they are models that come with all of the equipment I want.

That's where the V85TT enters - shaft drive, cruise, simple electronics, long cruising range, easy to maintain.  The dealer network, parts, etc. are the major shortcomings. I don't mind riding 250 miles /400 km one way for service once per year, though.

Offline VStarRider

• New Egg
« Reply #2668 on: February 26, 2023, 07:27:13 AM »
Thank you again for all of the replies.  This is helpful.

For some context, here are bikes on my short list for context with reasons why and (why not):

1. V85TT - shaft drive, mid-sized engine, cruise, cruising range, easy to maintain, lightweight, unique style, LED lighting, simple electronics, tubeless tires, 2 year warranty (dealer network, parts availability, resale value/ability to resell)
2. VStrom 1050 - decent dealer network (three in my region), simple electronics, cruise, cast wheels, lots of aftermarket support, great V-twin engine (chain drive, a little boring, hard to service)
3. Tiger 1200 GT Explorer - shaft drive, 3 year warranty, great seat height, cruise, cruising range, cast wheels, dealer in town(might be too tall, expensive, high depreciation, don't like 270 degree triple, complicated electronics)
4. Versys 1000 - unique 4 cylinder, great handling, good seating position, cheap used (chain drive, poor shifter feel, a little heavy, hard to service)
5. GS1250 - shaft drive, 3 year warranty, cruise, cruising range, tubeless tires, lots of aftermarket support (expensive to maintain, no dealer nearby, complicated electronics, not unique)

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #2669 on: February 26, 2023, 07:43:56 AM »
traction control and abs standard, don't know if it is cornering or not.  Definitely test ride it if you get the opportunity.
ABS and TC yes.
Cornering ABS no.
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here