Author Topic: Norge Side Wind Problems  (Read 1964 times)

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
Norge Side Wind Problems
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »
While on my past two trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway I have noticed that my 09 Norge is susceptible to side winds and feels unstable on the mountain freeways in western Tennessee at speeds above 65 mph.  Bike has new Michelin PR front and good PR3 rear at 37 and 41 psi.  Head bearings adjusted, standard windscreen, bags, but no top case.  I have a Russell seat and I am 6 feet tall, so I do sit a bit taller than stock.  The bike was arrow straight on trip down from Ohio on I 75 at cruising speed of 80 to 90 mph.  In the past I had similar issue when using a taller windscreen.  Additionally on return home on level ground in Ohio, I hit a storm cell and REALLY had to lean hard into the side wind to keep from being blown off the road, had to reduce speed from 65 to 35 and was one of most frighteneing riding experience in my 40+ years of riding.  I am baffled by this.  Any wisdom?  I love my Norge, but am a bit concerned, thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.
2009 Norge, Staintune, Helibars, lower pegs, Russell seat, Matris fork kit and shock, more to come...
2008 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Norge Side Wind Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »
Be glad you're not running across Oklahoma or Kansas with a crosswind
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »
The only time I really had a problem was coming back from the Illinois rally. I had a Ventura rack, so had a fair amount of weight up high and aft on the Rosso Corsa. Direct X wind gusting 30, I'd guess. That wasn't a particularly fun experience, either. At first, I pulled off and checked to make sure I wasn't getting a flat rear tire. AFAIK, about all you can do is r e l a x, to quote Aaron Rogers.   :smiley: If you have a death grip on the bars, every gust moves you which affects the bike. It's like flying in turbulence..gently gently on the controls.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »
My 2011 has the top case. It gets blown around more than my T-3. The biggest problem for me is in a strong sidewind the wind seems to curl around my helmet and dope slaps the hell out of the leeward side of my helmet. Never experienced anything like that, very annoying.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 03:07:46 PM »
Running across I40 in OK one time in a STRONG south wind it was challenging passing trucks headed east, the wind would stop while passing the truck, but when I got by the truck, I'd get a sudden blast of wind. It seemed to be less of an issue @ 90mph  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 03:12:45 PM »
My 2011 has the top case. It gets blown around more than my T-3. The biggest problem for me is in a strong sidewind the wind seems to curl around my helmet and dope slaps the hell out of the leeward side of my helmet. Never experienced anything like that, very annoying.
GliderJohn

I had the same issue with my 07.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 05:33:56 PM »
Don't think there as any thing particular about the wind and a Norge. Seems way more stable in crosswinds than the Bandit it replaced. At the same time I can't say I have ever enjoyed a really high cross wind. Light on the grip and steady as she goes.
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 07:51:54 PM »
From bratman2:
If you relish the experience cross KS on I-70 in the spring or fall. We don't consider crosswinds to be much of a concern until you are talking 30mph+.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 09:56:41 PM »
I’m a small guy, 5’8” and about 160 pounds so not sure if this helps but I’m actually very pleased with how my 2009 Norge handles strong cross winds. It also may be that the 2000 Triumph Sprint ST that the Norge replaced was a serious handful in strong winds, it sucked.

Ride loose like was mentioned and play around with the suspension to see if it helps

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 03:05:37 AM »
After reading about it in Motorcycle Consumer News years ago on my Norge I point the windward side knee into the wind.  Makes a noticeable difference in stability.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 03:35:05 AM »
If you guys haven’t already done it I strongly recommend you inspect the swing arm and shock linkage bearings.

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »
Thanks Pete (I will check, but linkages were fine last time I checked) and all for your input.  Appreciate any additional ideas.
2009 Norge, Staintune, Helibars, lower pegs, Russell seat, Matris fork kit and shock, more to come...
2008 Triumph Bonneville

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 03:22:36 PM »
I replaced my swing arm races at 90,000.
I thought she was getting a bit loose in the rear @ about 130,000 so I checked the adjustment to see if they’d settled in or something. They took about 1/4 - 1/2 a turn to get them nicely snugged  up again !
I suspect they bedded in somewhat in the interim period and now the rear feels as tight as a fish’s arse.. :thumb:
I’ll further offer the thought that it’s not the cross wind per se that’s causing you grief, Norge or otherwise.
It’ll be the fact that you are needing to put sharp inputs into the ‘bars and the sloppy arse end is being exposed, (so to speak..!).
No slop in the rear bevel box is there ? Regarding Pete’s comments on suspension linkage bearings, I don’t think they’ll contribute to lateral instability, but he’ll be right about the races..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:39:06 PM by Huzo »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 03:28:03 PM »
Let's face it, any fully faired bike will have more "top hamper" than a naked bike. My R100RT was terrible in cross winds. The Norge was better, but not nearly as good as say the Mighty Scura for instance.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 04:25:59 PM »
The only time I really had a problem was coming back from the Illinois rally. I had a Ventura rack, so had a fair amount of weight up high and aft on the Rosso Corsa. Direct X wind gusting 30, I'd guess. That wasn't a particularly fun experience, either. At first, I pulled off and checked to make sure I wasn't getting a flat rear tire. AFAIK, about all you can do is r e l a x, to quote Aaron Rogers.   :smiley: If you have a death grip on the bars, every gust moves you which affects the bike. It's like flying in turbulence..gently gently on the controls.

Had to remind my wife once of the line in the song “hold on loose but don’t let go”. You’re right that the tighter you hold it the worse it is.

I have noticed squared off tires make it worse (yes I live in the flat lands).
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 04:54:27 PM »
On my 08 Norge, changing to a much shorter windscreen (I cut down 2 more inches on a Cal-Sci Shorty) vs. the stock screen made it much more tolerable.  Have ridden in some horrifically windy conditions, but the lower windscreen made a huge difference.  I tried Cal-Sci medium, TLM special, original...all of them creating more buffeting.   Getting clean air with the cut down Shorty made riding so much more enjoyable, quiet and less fatiguing.

Presumably you don't have anything loose either on the fairing anywhere...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 08:13:15 AM »
I also had taller windscreens that aggravated the condition significantly.  My short California Scientific was the best, but uh, well It got busted when someone forgot to put the sidestand down.  Thanks for reminding me to try an even shorter screen than the stock one.  I think I will order a super short one from Cal Sci.
2008 Triumph Bonneville

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 12:33:42 PM »
Try pointing your windward side knee stright into the wind.  You'll be surprised how much it assists.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:34:06 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 06:33:47 AM »
I got some ideas about some things to check from California Scientific.  Said an enclosed belly pan might help, so I get to go bend some aluminum.  I will recheck ASAP and if nothing else helps I will go for a tiny windshield and also try the knee into the wind trick.  Thanks to all who shared the copious wisdom of this forum.  = )
2008 Triumph Bonneville

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 06:36:51 AM »
I got some ideas about some things to check from California Scientific.  Said an enclosed belly pan might help, so I get to go bend some aluminum.  I will recheck ASAP and if nothing else helps I will go for a tiny windshield and also try the knee into the wind trick.  Thanks to all who shared the copious wisdom of this forum.  = )
Can you elaborate on what you mean by enclosed belly pan and how that might be relevant ?

Offline OlderSlower

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 05:07:42 PM »
Apparently a belly pan that completely covers the bottom of the bike has a positive effect on side wind stabilization per California Scientific.  Having said that, he also emphatically stated that there were a multitude of factors that affect motorcycle aerodynamics and that in many ways it's a dark science.  Hope that helps...
2008 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »
Let's face it, any fully faired bike will have more "top hamper" than a naked bike. My R100RT was terrible in cross winds. The Norge was better, but not nearly as good as say the Mighty Scura for instance.

Agreed, that’s a lot of plastic to be blowed...
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here