Author Topic: V7II sump question  (Read 627 times)

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
V7II sump question
« on: January 20, 2023, 07:20:11 PM »
Should you use a sump extention in a V7II? Do they have the oil in the airbox issu as the V7I?

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: V7II sump question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 07:41:28 AM »
Most people don’t have one on their sump, but in my perusing over the years, I’ve seen nothing but good reviews. You’ll find that those who use one do so for peace of mind. I’m looking in the mirror as I type this (had an engine failure with my sidecar attached due to too much oil consumption), but 2 liters is on the lower side of oil capacity on mid-weight, air-cooled bikes. However, as others have said on forum threads related to such <cough>, if you make sure to check the oil at appropriate times—especially when pushing those 46 hp harder—you shouldn’t get in any trouble.

Yes, the V7 II also directs excess oil up to frame spine and back down the airbox with nowhere left to go, so you want to make sure you have the level in the sump topped up within the appropriate MIN-MAX spec.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 07:43:26 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 09:51:25 AM »
Make sure you get a longer dipstick or remark the stock one.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 09:54:52 AM »
Where do you get the longer dipstick?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 09:54:52 AM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 11:24:19 AM »
No idea, do some searching.

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 11:54:26 AM »
This is the first time I’ve read about a longer dipstick being needed? What purpose does it serve—aren’t you simply adding the extra oil that the spacer allows?

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 12:01:44 PM »
I think a oil cooler would help a lot you would get more oil and most importantly would be cooler and less prone to burning it.

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 12:33:13 PM »
I think a oil cooler would help a lot you would get more oil and most importantly would be cooler and less prone to burning it.

An oil cooler is a great idea for some, including me for my particular use, but I also remember seeing I think Pete Roper heavily criticize the implementation of an oil cooler on the small blocks, due to how any existing oil coolers were originally fitted. So, the theory of one is certainly beneficial, but does the small block allow for the convenience of one?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 12:50:41 PM »
This is the first time I’ve read about a longer dipstick being needed? What purpose does it serve—aren’t you simply adding the extra oil that the spacer allows?
The idea of a spacer is not to add extra oil but to move oil down away from reciprocating mass & splash, if you add extra oil it will continue to go into airbox. I don't care, ain't my bike.

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 01:01:49 PM »
An oil cooler is a great idea for some, including me for my particular use, but I also remember seeing I think Pete Roper heavily criticize the implementation of an oil cooler on the small blocks, due to how any existing oil coolers were originally fitted. So, the theory of one is certainly beneficial, but does the small block allow for the convenience of one?

Installing an oil cooler on a small block is nearly impossible due to where the oil ways are and their lack of accessibility.The method I have seen was adding feeds through the oil filter plate.I think in order to achieve it the oil filter had to go so it's far from ideal but as this was on a competition machine...

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 01:11:44 PM »

The idea of a spacer is not to add extra oil but to move oil down away from reciprocating mass & splash, if you add extra oil it will continue to go into airbox. I don't care, ain't my bike.

You’re a valued resource who’s willing to give out advice and experiences, so you should care somewhat to help others gain the knowledge  :wink:

That said, are you sure the “lower oil level” concept is geared toward the small blocks? The following product websites I’ve checked all say the small block spacer is intended for the addition of more oil:

GUZZIBITS: https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?f=e&Shnew=&Model=15&ModelName=Breva+750+2C+V7+Classic+2FCafe+2FHome+2F&Cat=ENA&CatName=Engines&Sort=PriceDesc
GTM: https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gtm-v7-sump-spacer-kit-black
GUZZIPOWER: http://www.guzzipower.com/store/Sumspacer.html
MG CYCLE: https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5638

However, for the BIG BLOCKS, I see MG’ Cycle’s product page advertises that the sump spacer lowers the oil level down:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2899

So, maybe that “lower oil level” is just a big block thing?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 03:59:11 PM by Dirk_S »

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 01:30:30 PM »
The small block sump space is solely to increase the oil capacity.

Online mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 03:20:35 PM »
If you’ve ever had a small block oil pan off you’d see that the floor of the casting is heavily corrugated so to add increased surface area , there’s your cooler . Also when ya look upwards @the crankcase you will see a cast in baffles oil scraper type casting , very cleverly done . A sump spacer increases oil capacity . On my MkII I usually use the add mark on the dipstick as the full mark . As far as oil in the air filter goes , before I installed the sump spacer I would run the oil about @the add line or a smidge below . Once I got over 15-20 K Mi. The issue disappears. And even before it only occurred when riding @ highway speed (75 +) MPH for extended periods now @ about 27k Mi. Oil consumption is negligible. On a rally weekend I’ll put on approximately 800-1200 Mi. , maybe use 4 oz. Of oil in mixed riding . About 60-70% of that time I’m carrying about 80lbs. Of camping gear & my 100 kg. Arse .

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 03:33:02 PM »

Steve, I thought the whole idea of the deep sump was to add more oil to the sump. The deep sump gives you more oil, and is especially helpful as the best way to keep the motor from puking oil into the airbos is only filling to the 1/2 mark on the stick and shrinking an already laughably small amount in the crankcase (1.7qts). The stock dipstick is fine, especially when filled to the 1/2 way mark.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2023, 04:06:51 PM »

Uh no...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2023, 04:09:35 PM »

Yeah no.... I doing think the was the idea behind Ed Millich or Todd's spacers, at least as they were marketed. I bought and installed one on my MkI for additional capacity.

Though true I have more freedom to run it lower on the existing stick of I care to.

Edit - seems this was covered, goes I should have read the whole thread since I was late to the party.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 04:11:55 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2023, 06:02:56 PM »
If you are getting oil in air box check oil level but also check your breather system .Disconnect tubes and blow out any mayo, rust,water etc that might have accumulated in the top frame tube .Especially if you are doing short runs in winter.
I have fitted a water trap on the breather  oil return line to sump even in summer I'm draining around two table spoons of water every 200km/week commuting 40 km a day on the  Stornello .
Unless you are doing a lot of hard hot running  I wouldn't fit a spacer on a V7 not necessary most Guzzi's are over cooled in temperate climates .
Duncan

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 10:36:33 AM »
If you are getting oil in air box check oil level but also check your breather system .Disconnect tubes and blow out any mayo, rust,water etc that might have accumulated in the top frame tube .Especially if you are doing short runs in winter.
I have fitted a water trap on the breather  oil return line to sump even in summer I'm draining around two table spoons of water every 200km/week commuting 40 km a day on the  Stornello .
Unless you are doing a lot of hard hot running  I wouldn't fit a spacer on a V7 not necessary most Guzzi's are over cooled in temperate climates .

Would love to see that setup. My Stornello doesn't puke much oil unless it is over the 1/2 mark on dipstick, but it is an all season bike and commuter so would like to add something like this. Using the frame as part of the breather system is odd to me.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 12:02:01 PM »
Would love to see that setup. My Stornello doesn't puke much oil unless it is over the 1/2 mark on dipstick, but it is an all season bike and commuter so would like to add something like this. Using the frame as part of the breather system is odd to me.
The water trap is just a small inline water trap for spray painting( $12 )about 1" dia and 2" long sits just above starter solenoid . I just modded the trap end fittings to suit the oil return line and added a small tube to drain the trap with a plug on the end. It is clear plastic so see any water/mayo  accumulating .Will try to get a photo for you.
Duncan

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here