Author Topic: Traveling by Van  (Read 5384 times)

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
Traveling by Van
« on: October 02, 2022, 10:16:19 AM »
I am now retired and have embarked on my 'Big Adventure'.

I have spent the last year building my self-contained, fully electric solar van. Other than the gas motor, all systems are electric. Induction cooktop, microwave, fridge and a mini-split heatpump for heat and cooling all running on 120V AC. I have an all in one charge controller/inverter pure sinewave 3000W AC and 5.1KWh server rack battery nominal 48V DC with 930W of solar panels.

I am on my maiden voyage with it starting about a month ago, sending my daughter to NYC to start her MFA at NYU. I have since been up to Vermont, Connecticut with a brief stop at Hamlins, Pennsylvania, Maryland where I attended the Sportsmobile east coast get together, West Virginia and then on to Suches in Georgia meeting a few Guzzi friends and then to visit my good friend NCDan where we did a bit of tuning on his Stone. I am now in Saluda NC at a beautiful place with great hiking trails with streams and creeks.

I will be travelling in the north Georgia, NC, SC and surrounding area for the next 2 weeks until I have to be back at my house in Florida for jury duty.
I would love to meet up with some forum members on my journey in the next two weeks and also after I continue my trip in November when I will head out west to New Mexico and Arizona and places in between for the winter. I will update my whereabouts as I go.

When I am back in Florida mid October I will be installing a motorcycle carrier in my receiver hitch so I can carry a bike. Unfortunately it will not be one of my Guzzis. I don't think I can safely load a Guzzi up and off the carrier by myself. I will be bringing a Suzuki 650 Savage thumper which weighs about 350lbs or maybe less when I am done stripping stuff off it. So maybe you guys can show me some of your favorite rides.

Please PM or post and I will try to make it by to visit. I have no schedule except for the jury duty.

The SolarSaurus

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Traveling by Van
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 10:29:30 AM »
Lisa and I enjoyed the time you spent with us at the river house as well as our place in Winston Salem.
It was a good trade off me working on the FREE SPIRIT Van and you bringing my Stone to spec.
Be safe in your endeavors my friend 👍

Dan

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 12:15:45 PM »
A friend of mine from CO is doing the same thing w/EV on a trailer behind a Dodge maxivan but no solar.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 12:21:44 PM »
Very cool!

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 12:21:44 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 12:57:00 PM »
neat van.  Circumstances have not allowed me to get my Toy Hauler for the entire year.  I guess I'll have to get some plans going for next year?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 01:04:22 PM »
Dan, my time with you and Lisa was the highlight of my trip so far. So many thanks!

With a trailer I could bring a Guzzi but I didn't want to be pulling something. It's enough for me to handle on some of the tight twisty roads and gravel roads with the ponderous van. I am looking forward to riding some roads in other parts of the country even on the little Suzuki. The thumper can be a lot of fun.

Thanks AJ.

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 09:29:30 AM »
Got a teaser for everyone…. 

For anyone who might have visited SC but instead thought it would be just one of those ho-hum, nothing to see here move along kinda stops, y’all missed the boat.   Antmanbee doesn’t see things that way. 

He hit the jackpot with a 3600 mile V7 Classic that I’ve known since my best friend bought it new.  The perfect seat, side covers, original mufflers & more all came with it and the purchase price was definitely Guzzi content.   So now he’s got a nice Guzzi to personalize and take with him on the back of his solar camper van for his Big Adventure.  Very cool.

And a short video of it on the trailer from earlier this morning, before the new bike fun began in earnest-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq2BWYm9ZPE

He can fill you in on any other details…
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:37:09 PM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »
I might return to the van travel idea. I had a 94 ford that fit a motorcycle in back perfectly. Gas prices might have to lessen a bit though...
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 10:03:40 AM »
Sure is nice to look out my back window and see this,

I really did hit the jackpot in more ways than apparent. The most rewarding part is being able to spend time with fellow Guzzi enthusiast forum members. I am amazed at the very high level and mastery of varied skills and knowledge and kindness and willingness to share. Cliffrod is no exception. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of most types of older bikes, remarkable fabricating skills and if that's not enough he is a master chef and master sculptor. Watching him carve granite and learning how he sets up and approaches the various facets of a sculpture was an experience I would never have had if I was sitting at home and I am so glad I was afforded an opportunity to do this. Watching him cook is just as amazing.
Now to the bike. I couldn't have found a better deal if I had been patiently looking. I was not thinking of buying another bike, but cliffrod casually mentioned, "there is a nice V7 that could be had for a good price" and that was all it took. He even found a rear carrier at a good price too. I got set up with the whole complete kit.
I will need to do a few things with the bike to get it ready to ride. Tires are old and cracked and will be replaced. Change all the fluids of course. A good tune. I will pull the tank and then remove the fuel pump assembly and clean the tank and vent lines and replace the filter if it's a half plastic one. Other than that I will be trying to shed as much weight as possible off the bike. While the tires are off I may seal the rims to run tubeless. Also it needs a good clean and polish.
I am now heading south in the direction of Savannah and will be back to Florida for a few weeks to sort out the new bike and a few other things. I am open to detouring to visit other members along the way, those are the high points of my journey. Just let me know. 

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 10:24:21 AM »
You should stop in at Bob's next weekend outside Cleveland, TN. 

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 10:30:36 AM »
What goes 'round comes 'round.
This is a great story.
You've been generous, kind and patient with me in the past. You may not even remember. The warm welcome and great deal are deserved.
That goes for Cliffrod as well, for being a man with many talents who is ready to share with others of like minds.
There is probably a lot more of that going around within this community than is readily apparent.
BTW, Wisconsin is beautiful this time of year. But probably too brisk for the southerners.

Online Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 11:18:52 AM »
Great story. You rescued a van, you are rescuing a Guzzi and I suspect all this rescues the soul.
If this is what retirement could be like, I can't wait.

Antmanbee, is your van project documented somewhere online?  Especially curious about the PV setup.

Keep us posted on the bike revival too.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2022, 12:49:55 PM »
Come on by for our campout.  21-23 Oct.  out in the country.  Cleveland Tn 37323. 
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 03:57:19 PM »
Sure is nice to look out my back window and see this,

I really did hit the jackpot in more ways than apparent. The most rewarding part is being able to spend time with fellow Guzzi enthusiast forum members. I am amazed at the very high level and mastery of varied skills and knowledge and kindness and willingness to share. Cliffrod is no exception. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of most types of older bikes, remarkable fabricating skills and if that's not enough he is a master chef and master sculptor. Watching him carve granite and learning how he sets up and approaches the various facets of a sculpture was an experience I would never have had if I was sitting at home and I am so glad I was afforded an opportunity to do this. Watching him cook is just as amazing.
Now to the bike. I couldn't have found a better deal if I had been patiently looking. I was not thinking of buying another bike, but cliffrod casually mentioned, "there is a nice V7 that could be had for a good price" and that was all it took. He even found a rear carrier at a good price too. I got set up with the whole complete kit.
I will need to do a few things with the bike to get it ready to ride. Tires are old and cracked and will be replaced. Change all the fluids of course. A good tune. I will pull the tank and then remove the fuel pump assembly and clean the tank and vent lines and replace the filter if it's a half plastic one. Other than that I will be trying to shed as much weight as possible off the bike. While the tires are off I may seal the rims to run tubeless. Also it needs a good clean and polish.
I am now heading south in the direction of Savannah and will be back to Florida for a few weeks to sort out the new bike and a few other things. I am open to detouring to visit other members along the way, those are the high points of my journey. Just let me know. 

Just so no one is misled, I went right back to being a incompetent peckerhead as soon as you left….

Seriously, it has been quite a week.  That bike has been somewhat of a special secret & likely deal that’s been lingering for a long while until the right person came along.  It was one of “our” bikes and we weren’t looking forward to seeing it fall into the wrong hands to be hacked up & goobered into oblivion like special bikes often do.    When Tom got it, we didn’t expect it to almost immediately become yard art.  He didn’t either.  Since then, I’ve spent the last 7yrs (think Tom got it in ‘15) driving back & forth past it every single time I went to the shop.  After seeing it sitting so long and knowing the situation, lately we’ve been discussing that it was time for something to happen before it was too late even if we needed to grease the skids.  When you showed up, it was time and all went better than we imagined.  I’m not into newer bikes like that and there aren’t many locally that are fluent in modern Moto Guzzis.  Really happy that it has moved on to the right home.

I’m anxious to see where you go with it, figuratively and literally.   Keep me/us posted.   Travel & ride safe, man!

Edit- I forgot to add a sincere thank you for the kind words.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 06:59:59 PM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2022, 08:59:04 PM »
Just so no one is misled, I went right back to being a incompetent peckerhead as soon as you left….

I can't make the call on you being identified as a peckerhead, but certainly not incompetent.

Very happy I was in the right place at the right time.
I jumped right in on the V7 today. Stripped most of the bodywork off and also the airbox and started cleaning it up a bit.
The process of making lists and collecting parts has begun.

I think I am going to go with some Shinko 705's with a 4.10-18 front and a 120/90-17 rear.
Damn, I gave away my spares for my 750 Breva when I sold it a year or so ago. Now I need to buy all the stuff again. Oil filter, valve cover gaskets, cables, etc.

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 09:16:31 PM »
adaven, I do remember conversing with you a couple of years ago or so. If I am up that way I will look you up. This time of year though it's the southern states only now.

Pescatore, I have not documented my van build or the solar yet but I am more than happy to talk about it or share any info I have. If you want to talk, just PM me and I will send my phone number.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 06:00:12 AM »
I have my V7III running tubeless courtesy of Sikaflex marine sealant
I'm sure the bike can afford to lose a few pounds to make it easier to load.
Enjoy your retirement.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2022, 07:08:24 AM »
We are here in NM in the East Mountain area (about 20 miles east of ABQ). Have some very nice roads in the area. Plenty of room for the van.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2022, 12:27:07 PM »
We are here in NM in the East Mountain area (about 20 miles east of ABQ). Have some very nice roads in the area. Plenty of room for the van.
GliderJohn
Gliderjohn, I will definitely visit you in the not to distant future. I hope to spend at least a few months in the Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and surrounding areas. I'm really looking forward to doing some riding out there.

In the mean time I am working on getting my V7 ready for the great roads out west. I changed out the steel handlebars for some lighter lower rise aluminum bars, replaced all the fuel injection hose with high pressure line and replaced the spark plug caps with NGK's.
I went to adjust the valves today and found on one side they were adjusted incorrectly to .010 and .015 inches not the specified .10 and .15mm. The other side was correct.
This is not the first time I bought a bike and found this mistake. I would have expected both sides to be wrong, not just one side.

What is the best method to get the slightly swelled tank back on the bike and have the rear mounting bolt line up? Shave the rubber donuts?
New bars,

New fuel line,

NGK caps,

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2022, 04:48:50 PM »
More progress on the V7. It should be running tomorrow.

New tires on rims converted to tubeless.

Relocated the ECU and air temp sensor.

Oil breather system for valve covers and return to sump.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2022, 03:36:50 AM »
Good work and thanks for sharing!
I plan to follow suit on my 02 Stone my next tire change.

Dan

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2022, 06:12:22 AM »
Very cool- love seeing the progress.  Were you able to resolve the tank cover fitment without big complications?
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2022, 07:40:33 AM »
Very cool- love seeing the progress.  Were you able to resolve the tank cover fitment without big complications?
I think I should be able to get the tank on with just a bit of shaving of the donuts. So far I have just set it on the bike to test with the fuel pump.
I have a new pump coming and it should be here tomorrow.

Got my air filter setup installed and also cleaned up the turn signal mounting and made a tidy tail for the rear.

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2022, 04:19:29 PM »
I finally collected all the parts I needed to finish the V7. So happy to have it running now.
I still need to change fluids in the engine, trans and rear-end. I also need to fashion an under seat splash guard.
I loaded a map that switched off the O2 sensor and I bumped up the CO trim to +4. I'll take it out for a good run on Tuesday and see how it goes.
Getting closer to being back on the road and I'm looking forward to it.
A short 1 minute video of it running. It's a bit on the loud side but I will be wearing earplugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRBKt1D6F0

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2022, 06:29:20 PM »
Sounds good AMB👍

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 06:39:44 PM »
 :bow:  nice work !  Sounds great!

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2022, 07:15:20 PM »
Very cool- great to see & hear it running!!
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100

Offline fubar guzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »
    :bow: Hi Antman,glad to hear your van is together +working.When I visited you past February you were talking over my head about solar stuff for the van,I'm really impressed with the clean job+attention to detail you performed with this project  :thumb:  During your travels West you might give some thought to visiting ol Fubar in beautiful Nebraska-----we don't have all thos energy sucking curvy roads you hear about,our roads are straight as an arrow 30 mi. any direction will find you  a hospital or a grocery store,13 mi. gets you a fuel stop     :popcorn:   as a safety feature you can wear the tires down to the cord + still have plenty tread on the sidewalls,straight roads do have merit you know!!!!!!!!!!!    see ya down the road Mr. Antman    :boozing:

Online antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2022, 08:34:51 PM »
Thanks, Ncdan, lucian, cliffrod and fubar.
During the winter I will be sticking to the southern part of the southern states. Fubar, you sure make Nebraska sound appealing. I always considered Florida the land of straight flat roads. Are you near the Colorado/Wyoming  side of the state? I would like to visit with you again. I could be up that way during the warmer months.
It is taking me longer than anticipated to get back on the road. I was trying to buy steel to reinforce the bike carrier and I could not find any near me.  I will probably have to drive an hour or more to maybe find what I need. Nothing exotic, just some square tube mild steel.
Also I need a spring clip to retain the electrical connector for one of my fuel injectors. The previous owner lost one. I don't think it is something that is sold separately.
I suppose I could try making one out of a paper clip or something.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2022, 09:27:17 PM »
Most likely have to buy a pigtail w/connector to get a wire clip. I have searched.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here