Author Topic: Tubeless Conversion Failure - Gorilla Waterproof Tape  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Tubeless Conversion Failure - Gorilla Waterproof Tape
« on: May 08, 2023, 01:49:38 PM »
I have 2 sets of spoked wheels that I converted to run tubeless. On some of the wheels I used the normal 3M sealing tape over top the marine sealant that is often recommended for the job, but on others I decided to try out Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape.  I developed a leaking spoke hole in one of my rear wheels that was causing me to lose at least 4 psi/day, so I swapped wheels and yanked the tire off to begin the spoked hole repair.

This is what the tape job looked like upon installation:

…and this is what I discovered after no more than 4000 miles of use:

How lovely.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 01:50:10 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Tubeless Conversion Failure - Gorilla Waterproof Tape
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 02:20:00 PM »
Gorilla tape fail!
Sorry Dirk
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 02:30:35 PM »
Yuck!

What did the inside of the tire look like?

That tape just melted away, huh?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline brother dave

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 02:40:08 PM »
I have 2 sets of spoked wheels that I converted to run tubeless. On some of the wheels I used the normal 3M sealing tape over top the marine sealant that is often recommended for the job, but on others I decided to try out Gorilla Waterproof Patch & Seal Tape.  I developed a leaking spoke hole in one of my rear wheels that was causing me to lose at least 4 psi/day, so I swapped wheels and yanked the tire off to begin the spoked hole repair.

This is what the tape job looked like upon installation:

…and this is what I discovered after no more than 4000 miles of use:

How lovely.
Yikes, what a mess!  Live and learn....
2007 California Vintage (left the nest)
2018 V7 III Special
2021 V85 Centenario

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 04:35:50 PM »
What did the inside of the tire look like?

That tape just melted away, huh?

Interestingly, the inside of the tire hardly shows any evidence of debris. Maybe the material simply melts and deforms instead of flinging off.

I’ll be sticking with the 3M 4411n or 4412n from now on…pun intended.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 08:21:44 AM by Dirk_S »

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 09:57:24 PM »
I installed the Outex kit on my Africa Twin several years ago. Very good product and made for just this type of application. https://woodyswheelworks.com/products/outex-tubeless-kit
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 10:09:14 PM by azccj »
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
2019 Suzuki Vstrom 650XT Touring
2017 Honda African Twin DCT
2014 BMW F800GT
1972 Eldorado. Which someday I will restore.

Moto Guzzis now gone but not forgotten
2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 07:11:55 AM »
Fit for purpose, as they say.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 08:12:29 AM »
 I used Gorilla tape to repair a couple of tears on my soft shell vintage Flobot kayak after sitting a few months in my shed, garage the glued soften and melted and dripped out, not a fan.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 08:13:27 AM »
that really sucks, but thanks for the heads up, you might well have saved someone else a lot of heart ache!

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 10:05:21 AM »
Makes a tube not seem that bad to me🤔
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 03:40:52 PM by Ncdan »

Online azccj

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 01:12:21 PM »
There isn't anything wrong with tube tires compared to tubeless. Until you ride over something that punctures the tire. With a tubeless tire most times it can be plugged and you can be back on the road in 20 minutes. With tube tires not so easy as the the tube will need to be patched which usually requires the wheel to be removed, and the bead to be broken in order to get out the tube. I would guess it would take me a couple of hours of work before I would be back on the road if I got a puncture in a tubed tire. In the 40+ years I've been riding motorcycles I've had many punctured tires, all but once they were in the rear tires. Luckily they have always been on bikes which ran tubeless tires. And nowadays all my bikes have a TPMS so I know when I've got a tire problem.

Over the years I've used just about every tubeless plug kit available. This is by far the best tool I've used, https://www.rockycreekdesigns.com/products/motopressor-puncture-repair-tool . Very compact and easy to use without the messy glue. This tool along with a small compressor is all you need to plug a tubeless tire and get back on the road.
Current Bikes
2022 MG V85TT Travel
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
2019 Suzuki Vstrom 650XT Touring
2017 Honda African Twin DCT
2014 BMW F800GT
1972 Eldorado. Which someday I will restore.

Moto Guzzis now gone but not forgotten
2007 Norge
2003 V11 Le Mans
2000 Jackel
99 EV

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 06:47:34 AM »
That 3M sealing tape isn't cheap so it's understandable trying something else. Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't done my wheels yet (want to) and wonder if it's really necessary to use sealing tape. In your case, it evidently was needed, however my question is why did the sealer leak? What could have been done differently to prevent that?

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 08:04:59 AM »
That 3M sealing tape isn't cheap so it's understandable trying something else. Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't done my wheels yet (want to) and wonder if it's really necessary to use sealing tape. In your case, it evidently was needed, however my question is why did the sealer leak? What could have been done differently to prevent that?

I think there’s always potential for failure. The marine sealant isn’t thin enough to seep down into the tight space between the nipples and the spoke holes, and I imagine that can lead to water or brine to sneak in. Some folks use a thinner sealant, followed by the thicker stuff. The fast cure marine sealant can also retain air bubbles and pockets—both large and small—so you really have to be mindful when you’re looking over the job. I’ve had to slice away cured bits and reapply before.

Yeah, that 3M 4412n tape isn’t cheap for sure. I could’ve sworn that I bought a roll of 2” x 5 yd for only $27 in 2020 (at least that’s what my Amazon order confirmation Emil says), but it’s 2.5X that now. Maybe I’ll stick with the marine sealant only and applying it in one flat strip across the well of the rim. Curious what the weight difference would be.
I’m still

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 08:17:51 AM »
Makes a tube not seem that bad to me🤔

I've had six or seven punctures over the years.  All were rear. All were fixed in minutes with a plug kit and a mini compressor.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 08:43:09 AM »
I've had six or seven punctures over the years.  All were rear. All were fixed in minutes with a plug kit and a mini compressor.

I think Dan’s comment is in jest—that Gorilla tape looks SO HORRENDOUS TO CLEAN UP that it makes the alternative look better.

Having said that, it took just over an hour with some Xylene and rags to get it all off. I used a plastic razor to remove all the marine sealant from the spoke holes; starting all over again. Gonna try some Tiger Seal this time, spreading it across the entire well. It’s all about preparation!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 09:14:44 AM by Dirk_S »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2023, 09:10:44 AM »
I think Dan’s comment is in jest—that Gorilla tape looks SO HORRENDOUS TO CLEAN UP that it makes the alternative look better.

Having said that, it took just over an hour with some Xylene and rags to get it all off. I used a plastic razor to remove all the marine sealant from the spoke holes; starting all over gin. Gonna try some Tiger Seal this time, spreading it across the entire well. It’s all about preparation!
You are right Dirk It was a “ just funning” response. However the truth is that when attempting to change the designed use of a tube spoked wheel one can run into issues of failure, as you did and you are not alone.
My 02 Stone has tubes in the wire wheels and I’d prefer tubeless any time. However the time and effort and odds for failure override my  desire to attempt to convert them to tubeless.
That being said anyone who wishes to convert tube wheels, by all means have at it and good luck👍

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2023, 09:38:42 AM »
Tire pressure is to be considered when converting spoked rims to tubeless use. Not only does the sealant have to be airtight but it also has to be supported and mechanically strong under pressure.

When you inflate a tube it stretches to confirm to every contour in a rim. When you inflate a sealed rim the sealant will flex until it finds mechanical support to balance out the applied pressure. If the sealant lacks support it stretches until it finds support. This could weaken the sealing function.

The purpose of the tape is to spread the air pressure load over a greater area. Sort of like a big foot on a side stand.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2023, 10:24:13 AM »
DON'T WE ALL VALUE OUR LIVES? 

YOU'RE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE. ARE THERE NOT ENOUGH RISKS ALREADY?

WTH?   B~

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2023, 10:38:32 AM »

WTH?   B~

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or serious. If the latter, all I see is a thread derailment, but I’ll entertain it, because I’m easily goaded (my first ankle sprain happened as kid when my older sister called me a wuss for being too afraid to jump off the roof of a cousin’s garage down onto a sloped embankment…well I showed her).

WARNING: POTENTIAL THREAD DERAILMENT ALERT!
I figure even if the sealant of choice fails catastrophically, it’ll be no worse than a tube blowout, no? And many a person ride with a tube, no?
~END POTENTIAL THREAD DERAILMENT (we really need a forum tag for this)

Anyway, back to that time my sister held tyrannical control over my perceived autonomy…
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 10:42:00 AM by Dirk_S »

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2023, 10:43:55 AM »

WTH?   B~
Yeah, they all say that and I thought about it some.

I picked up a nail on my T3 and the tube immediately deflated and the tire came off the rim shortly thereafter. Nail hole is a stress riser in the tube and it tears at the hole, then shrinks to its uninflated size

I've picked up nails on my tubeless bikes and the only reason I knew about them was the glint of metal during a wheel inspection.

I don't think a fully inflated tire will readily come off a WM rim so during a puncture scenario I suspect a suddenly deflating tube will present more of an immediate hazard than running tubeless on a sealed WM rim.

I might be wrong???

Also the rim Dirk is showing has the tire retention Bead. It is not WM
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 10:46:23 AM by n3303j »
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2023, 12:54:54 PM »
Back in the days of the Airheads BMW used natural rubber inner tubes. They were supposed to be more resistant to tearing thus hopefully preventing sudden deflation. I don't know if they are even available now. When I put new tires on my Triumph I was surprised at how heavy duty the tubes were. I put them back in rather than replacing them. They were less than a year old any way. I probably have 300,000 miles on two wheels. I have only had 2 flats in my 60 years of riding motorcycles.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2023, 02:02:58 PM »
The Outex kits work. I have them on my T7
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2023, 10:46:43 PM »
I have done several bikes over the last dozen years, including two Stone Touring "Hydros".  None has ever leaked (looking frantically for a piece of wood to knock on).

Shoe-Goo (A $5 tube easily does two wheels) over every spoke nipple and around the base of the Camel brand tubeless valve stem.  THEN, an overlapping double layer of 3-M sealing tape (1.5" wide) for redundancy.  Re-fit the tire and pump up to at least 60 psi and allow to sit for a couple of days to fully press the sealing tape around the spoke nipples and onto the valley of the wheel rim. Then, I use a tapered reamer to poke through the sealing tape and into the hole in the valve stem. Omit this step at your peril.

Afterwards, I place the wheel with tire in a bathtub with a foot of water in it (when my wife is away) and look for the tiny bubbles coming from a submerged area of the wheel.  None seen.  After re-fitting, and some miles, there may be a monthly air pressure loss of a pound or two a month, but no other surprises.  I like redundancy.   Two months ago I did both wheels on my '21 Royal Enfield "Interceptor".  Crossed fingers, but it's holding air just fine.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2023, 09:22:53 PM »
<SNIP> The fast cure marine sealant can also retain air bubbles and pockets—both large and small—so you really have to be mindful when you’re looking over the job. <SNIP>

Rim after applying 3M5200FC over spoke nipples and smoothing with acetone. Product felt spongy but had a hard shell.

Squirted a couple of 1/4" high beads on a plate. Smoothed one with acetone and let both cure. Peeled off and cut in cross section. I'm shocked at the severe internal "foaming" of the 3M5200FC (fast cure). Guess the product should only be used in thin layers so it can outgass as it cures. I should probably strip the wheel and try again.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2023, 09:34:26 PM »
Great pics, Ron—exactly what I found in my experience with the fast core sealant. I ended up trying out Tiger Seal, but I’ve et to throw a tire on that particular wheel. If I ever do go back to the marine sealant, I might avoid the fast cure version.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2023, 09:49:39 PM »
I'm assuming that 3M 5200FC is meant to be an adhesive. That sort of application implies thinner layers. Thinner layers would outgass before forming an airtight shell.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2023, 11:26:58 PM »
While I was reading this thread, I thought of shifting into fourth at 105 mph….
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2023, 03:00:00 AM »
Pic of 4412 for ref
This second tyre change on son’s Ducati
Have changed quite a few now, several years after sealing, no dramas at all, easy peasy conversion, 100% successful, 67 loop to this one

Re tiger seal, I tried that before 3M tape, gave up after a few tiny leaks

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2023, 08:50:49 AM »
While reading a marine magazine a while back they were singing the praises of the 5200 fast cure. BUT, they also said the mfg says in fine print to allow a week for full cure. I had horrible luck with it because of the bubbles and a bigger "pimple" of it will pop right off if the tire hits drop center while installing.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2023, 09:31:22 AM »

I used the 3m 5200.  The process took several days and steps.  I washed the wheel with dish soap and rinsed a couple of times.  Used air to blow out water in spoke nipples which assembly lube blew out also.  Applied the sealant in 3 steps.  Each spoke nipple and smoothed, a thin layer and smoothed and a top layer and smoothed.  Waiting 48 hours between each application.  I have had zero problems.  The tires hold air very good.

Additional steps I took was preparing the tire seating area.  I cleaned and removed the mold ridges so the tire would not leak at the ridges.  Smoothed the sealing surface of the rim.  I started with new Exel aluminum rims.  On many steel rims there are grooves cut in the sealing surface that will allow air to leak between the tire and rim. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 09:35:44 AM by John Croucher »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here