Author Topic: Norge 2007 reliable? 2 valve? issues?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
Norge 2007 reliable? 2 valve? issues?
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:47:48 AM »
A dealer has a 2007 Norge with 32k km for 5 grand. I can't look at it because it is in Victoria and I'm in Whitehorse.
Thinking of adding a touring bike to the garage. My understanding is the Norge feels well balanced under leg.
Were there any inherent problems to be aware of for this vintage of Norge?
Any input would be appreciated before I coerce a friend to go kick the tires for me.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Norge 2007 reliable? 2 valve? issues?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:37:35 AM »
Some other people will know better about oil pump issues on the 2007.
I have the 2008 (very similar) with 38,000 miles and I have not had any major problems.
The plastic dipstick broke. I installed a cool one that comes up by the valve cover.
You would do well to install that kind, unless you have a port on the fairing.
Another problem was with the fuel filter. I should have had the dealer replace that. It was a royal pain.
I am very happy with mine.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 01:45:28 PM »
Guzzi Bob (RIP) kept records of the oil pump problem. From memory  :rolleyes: the failures clustered around November 06 build.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »
My 2008 Norge required both suspension systems to be upgraded, other than that little exerci$e it is a great bike> DonG

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 02:18:38 PM »

pete roper

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
As with all CARC bikes if the swingarm bearings and shock linkage haven't had attention they will be toast. Likely steering head bearings too by now.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 08:39:41 PM »
Cool, Thanks, all, for the feedback.
Have some thinking to do.
Buy a bike at what I think is a reasonable price and have to ride it 3000 km home before I can give it a good service.
Hmm. Do I feel lucky?

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 06:49:00 AM »
I have an 07 with 60K plus miles and I had the front discs replaced under warranty but the problem returned on the new discs so every once in awhile I hook up the drill and spin the buttons.  The suspension was my biggest complaint so I spent the money on front and rear upgrades, but if my memory is correct the later models had an improved rear shock. It’s way past due for the steering head bearings, so who knows what i’ll find but the swing arm bearings were just a day job. Leafman did a great tutorial on here.

Heat management is my other complaint, but given your location this shouldn’t be an issue. Some claim that re-mapping soles this problem but I have done that with no noticeable improvement in the heat.

Windscreen, some bikes had problems with the motor, but mine hasn’t been a problem, I rarely use it at high speeds so maybe that has saved the gears. The stock screen has been ok for me but if you do buy it and get lots of turbulence on the ride home and can’t stand it, remove the screen to end the problem.

Mine is an early model but it didn’t fall into the questionable oil pump range, which I don’t remember anymore but I believe they all fell into the 06 dates which also covered the big Breva.

Some people don’t like the locked in riding position, so keep that in mind. I’m not a big guy so it hasn’t been a problem but on log rides the foot pegs are an issue and I really should get the lower pets.

Good luck.

1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 09:04:18 AM »
Hey there BlackCat, thank you for the feedback. I'm a short guy at 5'8" and don't anticipate the pegs being too high. I put resets on my V7. 1000km days weren't too bad a few years ago. I can still cover 500 - 600 comfortably in a day.
It sounds like you do your own service as do I. How much of a pain is it getting under all that body work?
I guess my next step is to research the oil pump history and ask for the VIN.

This one may slip through my fingers because I have no place to store it over winter and only a crazy person would try ride it through the passes at this time of year. But sales have to slow down now that it is fall so I'll keep my eye on the site for a few months and see what comes of it.

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 09:38:10 AM »
I have an 07 with 60K plus miles and I had the front discs replaced under warranty but the problem returned on the new discs so every once in awhile I hook up the drill and spin the buttons.

My '07 has the same front brake pulsing problem. 

Please, will you (and others) detail the "spin the buttons" procedure for me?  Photos would be helpful.

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
Hey there BlackCat, thank you for the feedback. I'm a short guy at 5'8" and don't anticipate the pegs being too high. I put resets on my V7. 1000km days weren't too bad a few years ago. I can still cover 500 - 600 comfortably in a day.
It sounds like you do your own service as do I. How much of a pain is it getting under all that body work?
I guess my next step is to research the oil pump history and ask for the VIN.

This one may slip through my fingers because I have no place to store it over winter and only a crazy person would try ride it through the passes at this time of year. But sales have to slow down now that it is fall so I'll keep my eye on the site for a few months and see what comes of it.

We are about the same height so you shouldn’t have a problem for those kind of miles, but you will notice it. Or at least I do.

Valve adjustments do not require the removal of the fairing, the top valve cover screws can be removed with some intuitive procedures.

Spinning the buttons is just chucking up the proper Allen wrench in a drill and spinning them. I used some WD40 and make sure it doesn’t get on the disc surface.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »
Yukonica, at 5’8 you should love this bike. I’m 5’9 on a good day, I can do 600 miles a day on my 07 and have several times. I got mine from a fly and ride as a present from my wife. I paid $4500 5 years ago, with similar miles. I test rode one originally in 07 fell in love with the fit, riding through the hills and valleys of south eastern Mn. The power is right there all the time, Im still amazed at the ride after 5 years every time I get into hills and corners which my EV would require downshifting and muscling through, the Norge seems in comparison to be effortless.On longer rides where possible I tend to ride with my heels on the passenger pegs. some Norge riders I’ve met at rallies suggest they handle heat issue by taking the lower plastic off, I am trying this but at 85f and up temps  it’s still hot but not that much more uncomfortable than the EV, I’m not really sure taking the lowers off helps.I did find putting handle bar extensions on helped reduce the upper back tension a lot and weren’t that expensive, and mine didn’t require any change to brake lines or cables. The front end dives with quick front braking with the OEM fork oil, if you aren’t ready for it, but that issue you can change with different fork oil without changing fork springs,and being aware of how aggressive you are with the brake. The swing arm bearings and a new rear shock were a Royal pain to deal with, I had many posts and help with this on the forum but these guys were great and helped a lot, in my case what should have been a afternoon job,turned into a 2 weekend ordeal with a frozen bolt. I haven’t dealt with the front end bearings yet, this winter.  It does need to have the starter relay issue fix, which the previous owner had addressed. With 32 K on the bike your considering, hopefully a lot of these issues have been addressed. I am very satisfied with my Norge I can say it is the best fitting handling bike I’ve owned. My EV is still enjoyable but it’s now going to be converted to side car duty, since Norge now is the ride of choice most of the time. One last thought,the hand warmers and fairing make late or early season rides here in Minnesota much more do able, and unless you get a unexpected winter blast you could do those passes very comfortably right now. Dave
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 09:33:01 PM »
Yukonica, at 5’8 you should love this bike. I’m 5’9 on a good day, I can do 600 miles a day on my 07 and have several times. I got mine from a fly and ride as a present from my wife. I paid $4500 5 years ago, with similar miles. I test rode one originally in 07 fell in love with the fit, riding through the hills and valleys of south eastern Mn. The power is right there all the time, Im still amazed at the ride after 5 years every time I get into hills and corners which my EV would require downshifting and muscling through, the Norge seems in comparison to be effortless.On longer rides where possible I tend to ride with my heels on the passenger pegs. some Norge riders I’ve met at rallies suggest they handle heat issue by taking the lower plastic off, I am trying this but at 85f and up temps  it’s still hot but not that much more uncomfortable than the EV, I’m not really sure taking the lowers off helps.I did find putting handle bar extensions on helped reduce the upper back tension a lot and weren’t that expensive, and mine didn’t require any change to brake lines or cables. The front end dives with quick front braking with the OEM fork oil, if you aren’t ready for it, but that issue you can change with different fork oil without changing fork springs,and being aware of how aggressive you are with the brake. The swing arm bearings and a new rear shock were a Royal pain to deal with, I had many posts and help with this on the forum but these guys were great and helped a lot, in my case what should have been a afternoon job,turned into a 2 weekend ordeal with a frozen bolt. I haven’t dealt with the front end bearings yet, this winter.  It does need to have the starter relay issue fix, which the previous owner had addressed. With 32 K on the bike your considering, hopefully a lot of these issues have been addressed. I am very satisfied with my Norge I can say it is the best fitting handling bike I’ve owned. My EV is still enjoyable but it’s now going to be converted to side car duty, since Norge now is the ride of choice most of the time. One last thought,the hand warmers and fairing make late or early season rides here in Minnesota much more do able, and unless you get a unexpected winter blast you could do those passes very comfortably right now. Dave

Okay Dave, Gotta say this up front: I f'n hate you.
I was all set to let this bike slide away into the realm of the 64 E-type I didn't buy for 3500 because it needed king pins... know what I mean?
I can see valve adjustment is a piece of cake. Oil changes, on the other hand; take minutes on the V7. Norge?
Once I get it north I'll have a whole winter to solve bearings and other issues. What I need is to be confident I can ride it home. Can oil be changed on site without a major tool kit? Aka; prior to 3000 km of highway travel? Road side.
Heat and 85F? ... Yukon is subarctic. Three days a summer. My dogs hate it. Quite frankly... me too. Not an issue.
This morning ice covered the puddles in my driveway as I left for work. Do these bike come with heated grips?
I wouldn't count on the previous owner being a Guzzi person as far as dealing with issues and maintenance. Why would you sell a excellent machine to a dealer after the issues have been solved?
Let's assume the lowest commitment to ownership.
You've given a very compelling argument for buying that machine.
What are your worst complaints? Why should I not buy in?
Respectfully, gratefully
Yukonica

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 10:41:14 PM »
“Oil changes, on the other hand; take minutes on the V7. Norge? “

Early 07’s didn’t have the hole in the fairing with the plug to access the dip stick so it can be fun getting to that area, but it can be done. You will need a funnel with a long hose. The oil filter will be either easy or a choir. If you have a hard time with the oil filter removal tool, I’ve used a screw driver to jam into the filter. Messy, but it works.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 12:32:48 AM »
I have an '07 with 80,000+ miles on it, and it has been virtually trouble free after dealing with the warped rotors (covered under warranty).  Any issues I've had with it could not really be blamed on Guzzi (broken shock bolt).

The plastic is a PITA.  Many of us have removed the three lower pieces and added the Sport 1200 chin fairing.  That makes dealing with oil changes much easier.  Also, mine came with the extended dipstick, which makes determining oil level and adding oil much easier.

The other issues have been spoken to.  I also did the suspension upgrade.  Many folks don't and don't miss how much better the bike handles in the canyons (guess they live in Nebraska or some other place that only has two turns in the whole state).  If you do the suspension upgrade, pay attention to the mileage on the rear shock.  Most manufacturers recommend rebuilding the shock around 30,000 miles.  If you go much past that, you run the risk of the shock not absorbing the rebound, and the constant pounding may break the top shock bolt DAMHIK.

Norges all have heated grips.  I have never had a heat issue that some report, and the summers here in SoCal run in to the 110+ range.

I changed the seat on mine, and it made the difference between being sore after three 500 mile days, to running 1000 miles in 24-hours without issue.  I use a Bill Meyer Saddle - personal preference.

Good luck, and enjoy.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 05:58:12 AM »
A dealer has a 2007 Norge with 32k km for 5 grand. I can't look at it because it is in Victoria and I'm in Whitehorse.
Thinking of adding a touring bike to the garage. My understanding is the Norge feels well balanced under leg.
Were there any inherent problems to be aware of for this vintage of Norge?
Any input would be appreciated before I coerce a friend to go kick the tires for me.
Are you tempted by the silver one here on WG for $1,500 ?
Pete R suggests procuring a dashboard for $500 odd and some other peripheral buggerising around and you’re pressing the starter for a lot less than 5K.
My Norge is a red ‘07 and I’ve had no oil pump issues in 180,000.
The only mods I’ve done that were actually required were startus, dipstick extension, improving the latches on the panniers, moving the top box mount to a better spot, putting a two way switch for the screen close to the left grip and a Beetle map.
I reckon most of what’s said about the soft front end is a crock, but I did fit a new Nitron rear shock at 90,000.
Everything else I did was personal preference or cosmetic.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:06:50 AM by Huzo »

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 09:33:14 AM »

Please, will you (and others) detail the "spin the buttons" procedure for me?  Photos would be helpful.

If you haven't done so already, swap out the pads for some EBC HH pads.
I used to get a lot of pulsing on my 1200 Sport. Changing out the pads cured it and the pulse has never come back.
Pulsing can be caused by pad material transferring to the rotor face and making a high spot. I'd found that practicing "emergency" stops would tend to make the pulsing disappear for a while back in the day. This is no longer necessary since the change of pad material.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 03:51:29 PM »

If someone has addressed this then don’t bother reading on..
Between the disc rotor and carrier (the bit that bolts to your hub), there are a number of round fittings that join the two together...(See photo)

These fittings we’ll call “ buttons..”
They are there to allow some looseness in the join between the rotor and carrier.
Why ?
So that as the wheel spins, the disc can and will align to the plane of rotation and any pulsing due to axial runout (read wobble), will be non existent.
If the “buttons” become clogged with shit and corruption, this slight “rattliness” that should be evident, will not be apparent, and any radial runout (and a couple of thou’ will be enough), will give a pulsing back through the lever.
Grabbing a suitable Allen key (wrench), and manipulating those buttons will restore the rattling good fit between the carrier and disc that you require, and your lever action will be as smooth as a baby’s bum..
Do make sure as well that there is no contaminant on the disc, because this will give a pulsation in your braking, but will not transfer back through the lever.
Don’t confuse the two.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 06:57:15 PM »
You've given a very compelling argument for buying that machine.
What are your worst complaints? Why should I not buy in?
Respectfully, gratefully
Yukonica

Yukonica
I can’t think of any faults my Norge has except it allows me to take corners comfortably about 10-15 mph faster than I do on my EV. The stock bike needed the handle bar extensions, I would like just a touch more but don’t think the lines and cables could remain. I seriously believe this bikes capabilities surpass my current riding abilities, I do have a tendency to ride over limits frequently without realizing it. But haven’t gotten more than warnings yet. On long distance rides I’ve found the sheepskin seat cover helps a lot,but I also use that on every other bike I own for longer distances.
I wish I had more time to ride it and improve my skill level,but that’s not the bikes fault.
In your case the fly and ride this time of year might be a draw back,do you feel lucky? I’ve heard some bigger riders comment about the seat limitations but for me the thing fits like a glove and is sheer joy to ride always. I’ve heard some comments about the weight but at 65, 5’9”” 150 lbs I’m ok with it. Seriously I love this bike and have since my first ride on one.
Dave
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here