Author Topic: Motorcycle musings - let's talk bikes!  (Read 10700 times)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
Motorcycle musings - let's talk bikes!
« on: October 14, 2015, 10:00:57 PM »
I am blessed to have a wife who will tolerate me having 2 motorcycles.  Not as many as some of you, but I really can't complain.  Currently, the garage holds a 2002 V11 Lemans and  a 2012 Suzuki vStrom 650. 
The V11 was just acquired this past summer and is really working for me as a "second bike" - it's not comfortable enough or practical enough to be my daily rider but that's just fine, it doesn't need to be.  I am loving it and wish I had bought one years ago (considered it a few times).
The vStrom is really a great bike, pretty much perfect for just about anything EXCEPT long distance touring.  I don't much like riding it over 75 mph and it can be short on power for passing, especially 2 up. And my wife thinks it is OK comfort wise, but it ain't no Goldwing. Since I am planning a big western state tour with her next summer, and hope there will be more trips down the road, I am looking at options.  Interested in the collective wisdom:

Things I like about the vStrom. 
Upright ergos with lots of legroom, wind protection with the Givi aftermarket shield is fantastic, big easy to remove luggage, ease of use (start, ride, repeat with no drama), handling is pretty darn good and it is at least competent enough for exploring the many dirt roads near home.

Bikes I have/am considering as a replacement, new or used:
Stelvio - good option except that I have not had the best luck with post Piaggio Guzzis, and Am now leery of the 4 valve heads
BMW GS - had to consider it, but just too "obvious" for me to go there. Not a beemer guy. 
KTM 1190 Adventure - too off-road oriented, and I am not sure I trust their reliability and build quality
Suzuki vStrom 1000 -  a good if not exciting option
Yamaha Super Tenere - maybe a better option
Kawasaki Versys 1000 - inline 4, so not for me

And for something completely differently:
198x Guzzi SP1000 - have always wanted one
2000-ish Triumph Trophy 900/1200 - another one I always wanted to try, but I have never ridden one
Older Kawasaki Concours - cheap, reliable, and always liked them

But currently, the most intriguing option is the new Aprilia Caponord.  Test rode one recently and really loved everything about it except the price.  But Aprilias are pretty much unknown to me.  Are they reliable?  It's a modern, electronic boondoggle wonder. 

So, your thoughts and expereinces.....

Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

oldbike54

Re: Motorcycle musings - let's talk bikes!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »
 Really no comment on the Capo , but have you considered a Triumph Tiger , great reliability and good performance .

Dusty

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 10:20:50 PM »
Really no comment on the Capo , but have you considered a Triumph Tiger , great reliability and good performance .

Dusty

I come looking for wisdom and what do I get....shear brilliance.  How is it that I didn't even think of that?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:22:47 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »
Aprilia is the Honda of Italy
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »
I come looking for wisdom and what do I get....shear brilliance.  How is it that I didn't even think of that?

Obviously you have never met me  :rolleyes: Really , a couple of friends own Tigers and have been kind enough to let me ride them , pretty amazing motorbikes .

Dusty

canuck750

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
I took a long look at the Tiger 800XCX, at an advertised 487 lbs wet and a fantastic triple engine it is one nice bike, but at $13,499 MSRP I cheaped out and bought another KLR650, 432 lbs wet and $6499 MSRP.

AxleGeeks web page is pretty cool, you can compare all kinds of bikes

http://motorcycles.axlegeeks.com/d/s/1200cc/Adventure
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:59:08 PM by canuck750 »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »
My experience is that any bike that I expect to ride two-up long distances is one-half my choice and one-half Fay's choice, and we combine them for the right bike.

I wouldn't even consider a big touring or ADV or ST bike without both of you trying it on for size ... ! 

Hence the Stelvio.   A Triumph Trophy or Tiger would probably do the same.

We tried a new Aprilia Caponord (there's a dealer right here in town, it's a miracle!) but not as much seat and leg-room as the Stelvio.

But Your Mileage Will Certainly Vary!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
I know you said "not a beemer guy" but... have you thought about the BMW K100RS? These "flying bricks" are affordable, reliable, comfortable, and really good for sport touring. I think it would give you some of the sportiness and stability that you probably like in your V11, along with a less committed riding position and let's not forget the quality BMW luggage.  There's an RT brick too, but I think they are fugly.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 12:24:21 AM »
I know you said "not a beemer guy" but... have you thought about the BMW K100RS? These "flying bricks" are affordable, reliable, comfortable, and really good for sport touring. I think it would give you some of the sportiness and stability that you probably like in your V11, along with a less committed riding position and let's not forget the quality BMW luggage.  There's an RT brick too, but I think they are fugly.

Those were amazing motorcycles , but the last K1100 RS was built in 1996 , so coming up on 20 model years old now . A well maintained one will run for 200K miles , but they are getting harder to find . Still , if I had the extra room and funds , one of those or the triple would be on the short list . Yes , maybe the best luggage ever  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 01:41:36 AM »
All good options. I have a 2007 V Strom 650 and about a year and a half ago started thinking about upgrading it. The V Strom did its job. It made 4 trips down the Alcan, it crossed the sierras and made it to Prudhoe Bay. I wanted something with more. I wanted more power, more suspension, more brakes and more comfort (I never did find the correct seat for it). I ended up with a brand new 2014 Stelvio I picked up last month. I immediately regretted not upgrading sooner. The stelvio does everything and does it with a Guzzi flair. I put 1200 miles on it in a week and it is the best touring bike I have ever owned. Im sure it isn't as nice in that capacity as a Wing, K bike, or Harley Glide of some kind but it is great for me.

I also have a 1000SP... that hasn't been sorted yet, so I cant speak to adding one of those to the garage.

Triumph has been mentioned. How about a sprint ST? They are fun, powerful smooth and can rack up the miles. I mentioned Harley earlier. I haven't owned one but for a different than your current fleet bike, maybe a Road King. They are powerful and comfortable. Any of the twin cam models have plenty of umph for going down the road.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 05:55:59 AM »
If your western trip will be two up, I'm not sure the SP1000 or Triumph 800 would be best for your passenger. As a solo bike either would be great. I have an 800 XC and its a great all around bike. Does fine on single track though I have not taken through deep sand yet. A better option two up would be a Triumph 1050 or 1200 Tiger. The 1050s have an amazing motor and can be had reasonbly priced.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2008/april/apr1108motoguzzistelviogrouptest/

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/08/27/triumph-tiger-1050-best-used-bikes/

Pete
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:11:04 AM by PeteS »

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 06:13:31 AM »
I have the Triumph Tiger Sport 1050 which is the non USA replacement for the 1050 Tiger. The motor is excellent albeit without the Guzzi character. 
Triumph customer service  service has been  excellent even though the bike was an ex-demo with 2500 miles on the clock they still gave a 2 year factory warranty. I had a neutral switch washer replacement  done by my local dealer (who I didn't the buy bike from)  under warranty with no hassle. Other than that is as been totally reliable.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:14:33 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

biking sailor

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 06:27:49 AM »
You mentioned the Super Tenere.  If you liked the "no drama, just ride" aspect of the Strom, the Super T will be about the same, just a bit bigger, more power, and more weight for smoothing out the long slogs.  I would have one right now if I didn't have a GS in the garage (so I went with a FJR to have the variety of rides in the stable).

All bikes have their issues, but the Super T has shown to be very reliable overall, reported to be comfortable for passengers, lots of luggage options, nice array of electronic riding aids (TC, ABS, Ride modes, electronic cruise control...), and creature comfort items like heated grips, adjustable seats.  Good dealer support when traveling and plenty of after-market goodies available.  Fuel economy is good and the factory recommends regular 87 octane gas, and long 26,600 mile valve check intervals (which is important to me as shim under bucket as opposed to super easy screw & locknut of my GS and Guzzis).

They are well thought out bikes that are being used to tour the world. The suspension of the ES model is made for real world riding (easily adjustable for differing road surfaces).  I personally think the front end looks stubby and butt ugly, but hey, I can't see it when riding it anyway.

Good luck in your search.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 07:23:07 AM »
Of course, everyone's different. Dorcia didn't like the back of the 1000SP we used to have. Great solo bike though. I know a guy that had a Stelvio..totaled.. and replaced by a Super T. He says it's a good bike, but not a great bike..the Stelvio was better.
Needless to say, you and she need to do the choosing.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 07:48:47 AM »
My current bike is a '12 Stelvio NTX, the previous bike was an '09 Wee-Strom.  I used the Strom for long distance solo touring and, after an upgrade to the suspension on both ends, it was a very competent road bike, even when well loaded.  The Stelvio does everything very well and, after a bit of initial sorting out, has been flawless for more than 32K miles.  I use it for the same purposes -- long distance touring and camping trips, well loaded. 

Interestingly enough, the two bikes have the same wheelbase and carry the same size tires both front and rear, so the overall lengths are the same.  The Stelvio is heavier by 80# or so, when both bikes are similarly equipped.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 05:33:51 PM »
although not impossible to find...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/5265131628.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5258940574.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/5250261995.html

Thanks for those Scud!  I am getting lots of good input here.  Looking and considering the possibilities is half the fun.  I like that last one in white.  Pretty cool bike!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
Great feedback so far.  The trip will be 2 up so that is really why I am looking.  we are off tomorrow to the local Guzzi/Aprilia dealer to ride a Stelvio and Capo.  The Stevio probably fits the bill well, but I am scared by the tappet issue.  Does that apply to the newer models? 
After that I will head down to Denver to look at some Triumphs, but oddly, the Italians would be better for me as the dealer is a lot closer.  That doesn't happen often!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »
  The Stevio probably fits the bill well, but I am scared by the tappet issue.  Does that apply to the newer models? 

Not for the last 3 years ..... everything after a certain VIN number in 2012 has the rollers.   Quick search will find it on here, been massive discussions about it.

Lannis

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »
Not to make too big of a deal out of it, but 2 up touring my number 1 issue is the seat. Lots of bikes have reliability and power. My oldest son just did the iron butt, and took his wife along, on a Yamaha V-4 Royal Star Touring Deluxe. It cost him about 6 grand and his wife never flinched on the trip. She will not ride with him on his 1200 BMW K bike, comfort issues.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 07:36:03 PM »
Aprilia is the Honda of Italy

I said that once to a Salesman at Pro Italia in LA one time .. The look of him wanting to throat punch me was priceless..
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »
Not to make too big of a deal out of it, but 2 up touring my number 1 issue is the seat. Lots of bikes have reliability and power. My oldest son just did the iron butt, and took his wife along, on a Yamaha V-4 Royal Star Touring Deluxe. It cost him about 6 grand and his wife never flinched on the trip. She will not ride with him on his 1200 BMW K bike, comfort issues.

Any more, I don't even throw a leg over a touring bike except to take the obligatory fitting pictures (solo and two-up) to send to Russell so they can make me a Day-Long seat.   Nobody sells a touring bike with a stock seat that's comfortable for me.

I hate to eliminate from consideration what might be a wonderful touring bike just because a simple replaceable thing like the seat is in the way!

Lannis

Mile High Guzzi

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 09:52:42 PM »
Unless the significant other rides on the back quite a bit, I wouldn't let that over-weight my decision.  Also, you can rent almost any bike suited just for passengers for a single long trip, then turn the keys back in.  On your list you mentioned the 2000ish Trophy, I always liked those bikes, and you can probably find a nice once pretty cheap...and make mine the British green one.

canuguzzi

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 11:27:53 PM »
The Triumph Trophy 1200 circa 2000-2003 are among the best sport tourers ever made IMHO. The engines are simply amazing, way under stressed and they pull like a locomotive from idle to anything you aren't scared to do.

I'd get another. While the paintwork is fragile, the bike is good looking and pretty unique on the road. With a 21 tooth countershaft sprocket on it, there isn't another bike that can maintain a higher cruising speed, none. The chain lasts a very long time reducing the comments that shaft drives are less maintenance to near myth status.

Service intervals are quite long and all season riding without doing more than checking the oil and filling up the fuel tank makes owning it easy.

Then there is that fairing. The fairing on the Trophy is top notch and gives you barn door protection while looking great doing it. PIAAS in the dual headlamps light up the night to keep up with long distance rides that take you into the night.

At idle, the engine sounds like an old diesel, knocking sounds galore but right off idle everything quiets down and there is just power. If you want more, swapping cams to the Sprint items boost horsepower quite a bit but also changes the personality of the engine to make keeping revs up a thing to do.

Handling is very good but the Trophy does carry some weight up high with that engine. It does want to fall into the turns a bit up nothing some wrist action can't overcome, a little power does wonders there. Get into some blended sweepers and the roads flies by. Get out on the open roads and the comfort makes the miles melt away.

The Trophy isn't that heavy though, it feels far less heavy than the ST1100 and fells about 100 pounds lighter than the Norge, at least to me.

Maintenance, when you finally have to do it straight forward except for one thing, the air cleaner. There is a way to replace it without disassembling half the bike but it isn't pretty and thankfully it is large, doesn't get dirty quickly and is not something you'll want to pay to have done, they charge a special price to do it. The valves just need checking, they rarely go out of adjustment. It is carb'd but syncing them is super easy and they hold sync nearly forever.

Riser for the bars are available and Corbin makes a decent seat replacement. The windscreen isn't adjustable but screen options are available from shorty to uber touring tall. If you want loud, D&D makes a set of slipons that will ring your ears. Stock, the exhausts are stainless and hold up well, nice and quiet but with a good quality sound when revs get beyond 4000 rpms. Speaking of revs, with the 21 tooth you rarely need to shift. Around town and up to a highway fast merge, second sufficies. 3rsbgets you to the century and there are three to go. 2700 - 3200 rpms makes California freeways speeds, the real speed not the one posted. Watch your six o'clock.

Range is as long as you can hold out and while it will drink heartily if you push it, at cruise it can get into the very high 40s and touch 50 without too much trouble.

A Trophy can easily get you to stop looking at other bikes. Depending on where you are, listing one for sale means money really quick if you answer the phone.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 12:50:14 AM »
I'll agree with the tiger suggestion. I'm approaching 65000 miles on my "girly" and she's been really good to me. Great dealers nearby, and the few parts I've needed have been no problem at all. Pretty sure a moderating okie we all know might have even thrown a leg over her.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 08:56:09 AM »

The chain lasts a very long time reducing the comments that shaft drives are less maintenance to near myth status.

Good comment.

I feel a little sorry for the folks who, when looking at bikes, say "The chain drive eliminates it for me."

That's sort of like "I won't buy anything that's made in Europe just on principle" or "I won't buy a green bike".    It's OK, and people buy whatever they want for whatever reason they want, but over the long haul, a modern chain-and-sprockets is about the same maintenance and expense as a shaft system, when considering the hassle of clutch changes and eventual U-joint and rear-drive wear ....

Lannis

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
Not for the last 3 years ..... everything after a certain VIN number in 2012 has the rollers...Lannis

My '12 Stelvio, built in Feb, bought in June of that year has roller tappets.  It now has 32 K miles and I just checked the valves again for the fifth time (the 6000 mile oil change/valve check interval).  The readings were very consistent with .006" Intakes, .008" Exhausts, no adjustments needed.

Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 09:45:40 AM »
If anyone is looking, there's a nearly new Stelvio at Winchester Motorsports in Virginia:

2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
This motorcycle is like new with only 1,751 mi. Saddlebags. Aftermarket exhaust. All stock parts included. Great value at:
$10,995.00

http://www.winchestermotosports.com/consignment-sales/
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 09:48:06 AM »
If anyone is looking, there's a nearly new Stelvio at Winchester Motorsports in Virginia:

2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
This motorcycle is like new with only 1,751 mi. Saddlebags. Aftermarket exhaust. All stock parts included. Great value at:
$10,995.00

http://www.winchestermotosports.com/consignment-sales/

He sure does have a lot of neat bikes, some at pretty good prices, on consignment there ......

Lannis

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »
The Triumph Trophy 1200 circa 2000-2003 are among the best sport tourers ever made IMHO. The engines are simply amazing, way under stressed and they pull like a locomotive from idle to anything you aren't scared to do.....

Thanks for all that!  Lots of great info.  I mentioned the Trophy because They always catch my eye on the road.  Just something about them I have always liked. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here