Author Topic: Motorcycle musings - let's talk bikes!  (Read 10702 times)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Motorcycle musings - let's talk bikes!
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
He sure does have a lot of neat bikes, some at pretty good prices, on consignment there ......

Lannis
No kidding.  Quite a collection.  I may have cast too broad a net in my first post - the options are starting to overwhelm!  How do I figure out if that Stelvio has the roller tappers.  VIN #?   
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »
No kidding.  Quite a collection.  I may have cast too broad a net in my first post - the options are starting to overwhelm!  How do I figure out if that Stelvio has the roller tappers.  VIN #?

From a previous thread:

Quote from: Curtis Harper on February 24, 2013, 10:20:59 AM
According to Piaggio, Roller tappets are in the following engines.

Stelvio AC : After AC12596 03/12/2012
riso A8 :    After 13524     04/12/2012   
Norge AA :  After 12214     04/18/2012

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
OK, did a lot of craigslist shopping, spec checking and yesterday the wife and I went test riding.

Stelvio just seems too big, tall, heavy, and hard for both of us to get on.
Aprilia capo was better, but I don't think I want an Aprilia for a long distance tourer.  The dealer network is even thinner than Guzzi (although much the same) and the bikes seem even more high tech.  Plus, that thing is TOO fast.  0 to 80 seems like about 3 secs, which I could get in trouble with.

Then went and looked at the Triumph Tiger 800 and BMW F800.  Tiger seemed more comfortable to sit and the XR version has a lower seat height which was good.  From the sit test only this seemed like the best overall option along with the Suzuki DL1000.  Both would give me essentially what I have with the DL650 plus a little more power for passing and high speed cruising.  I will probably do a few more test rides, and this has been a fun exercise.  However, going back to my OP, the DL650 IS about the perfect all around bike and I am not sure the cost of a trade up is worth a few additional ponies.  I certainly don't NEED them.   :rolleyes:
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

Offline brenwin

• Easy does it .
  • Gosling
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »
So many bikes and not enough time but the Stelvio still rings my bell the best of all I've ridden over the years . Its a 12 with roller tappets
I also remapped the bike with Beetles technology and it runs better than new .
I've pissed and moaned a lot on this site until it finally got sorted and have made up my mind I'm sticking with it no matter what . Thats a milestone for me saying that !
The Triumph triple motor is great for sure having owned a Sprint a few years back but I am hooked on the big bore torque and just love the character of the Stelvio . She is great on the highway , solid as a rock and loves to unwind . I cant comment on how it is two up and hope I never have to , lol !
Good luck with your decision .

Steve
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 12:40:52 PM »

canuguzzi

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 12:59:23 PM »
The added power of the DL1000 is worth it if you 2 up and carry luggage. When hitting a hill the 1000 walks away from the 650 and the reserve power makes itself known anytime you need a shorter distance pass, especially up a grade.

I had the chance to swap rides when I had the 1000 and found the difference to be waiting for things to happen and things happening. Unloaded and cruising not much difference, anything else you notice it right away.

The weight of the 650 is so close to the 1000, a few less bacon wrapped cheeseburgers evens things up. Some have said the 650 is smoother, like all bikes a real good tune makes for a different story.

Fuel economy likewise isn't much different and when you get right down to it, a couple mpg is no substitute for available power when you need it.

One thing for sure, there is a dealer network coast to coast but then the DL1000 is one of those gas&oil and ride it forever bikes. When it comes to the chain, how often has one broken on you? I've never had a chain break but minor maintenance is all it takes and it isn't like shafts are maintence free.

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
Thanks Norge Pilot, That's useful info.  I think I am looking for a gas and ride bike, and am completely happy with the 650 except for passing power.  I have tried finding an older Trophy but there are none for sale in my area and I won't buy one without a test ride as I have never ridden one.  The Tiger looks nice and has a lot of power for an 800, but my DL650 has been such a great bike it draws me toward the DL1000.  It is a completely boring bike - ordinary, ugly and oh so capable without being too "thrilling". Really kind of appeals to me.  So right now, it's DL1000, Tiger 800 or keep the 650.  Life is good!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 08:47:56 PM »
Well, I am keeping my own thread alive here so may be the only one reading this, but I think I just made a total liar out of myself.  I found a 1998 BRG Triumph Trophy, one owner, always garaged, 18k miles, Sargent seat, factory top box, blah, blah, blah and I think I bought it.  just waiting for one confirmation from the owner.  I said I wouldn't buy one without riding, but this one just seemed too nice And I figured I have little to lose compared to buying a new or nearly new bike. 

Thanks to everyone for your input.  Special thanks to Norge Pilot, who, as a previous Trophy owner and Norge owner, provided a lot of good input and advice.  I will post again when there are specifics to share.
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 12:38:53 AM »
Congratulations on the bike. It's always a good feeling to add a 2 wheeled member of the family.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here