Author Topic: Do you wear a backpack when riding?  (Read 7689 times)

canuguzzi

Do you wear a backpack when riding?
« on: December 31, 2015, 08:56:52 PM »
Sometimes I will if I leave the luggage off the Norge or even on some longer trips. The essential and things I might need access to quickly or the goodies for a hike away from the bike so I don't have to dig for it in the side bags or trunk.

Sometimes I pack in in the luggage so if I need to bring extra stuff back I can stuff light items in the backpack and put more stuff in the luggage.

So you use a backpack while riding and if so what kind?

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Do you wear a backpack when riding?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 09:09:05 PM »
Never. Won't ever happen. Saddlebags, tankbag, strap to the seat, pull a trailer but I will never wear anything on my body that could do more harm in a wreck. Just my preferences, no offense intended.

Stay safe, John

PS- I take that back, I do use a small camelback for hydration only✌️. Nothing lumpy or hard goes in with the water bladder.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:19:59 PM by Adk.IBO »
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 09:11:08 PM »
I am very happy with my Ogio No-Drag backpack. It has a computer sleeve, is hydration-compatible, and is all-day comfortable. It's a well thought-out bag specifically for motorcycling.

http://www.amazon.com/Ogio-No-Drag-Mach-Backpack/dp/B006W5836K
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 09:20:53 PM »
Yes, for commuting I use  back pack.  The Swiss Army laptop bag body is long and rests on the passenger seat while I'm wearing it causing no back pains.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 09:20:53 PM »

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »
I commute wearing a standard North Face backpack. Holds my laptop, lunch, etc, and I find it more convenient than using the saddlebags or top case. It only has standard straps and a clip to keep them together- no waist strap. It never moves though and is very comfortable. I barely notice it on there. I adjust the straps longish so the bottom of the bag rests on the passenger seat.

My riding position is very upright though. Not sure if the more leaned over style of the Norge would affect backpack comfort. Give it a try with any old backpack you have. You don't need a motorcycle specific bag, though Ogio and Kriega do make some nice waterproof ones.

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:35:26 PM »
Only when riding my dual-sport bike. Mine is made by Alpinestars.
Charlie

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »
The only time I ever wore a backpack when riding was when I flew to Green Bay, WI to pick up a Norton John Player Special and ride it back to SE Michigan. On that ride I was cut off while passing a car on a smooth but wet country road. In the ensuing crash I somersaulted over the bars and landed flat on my back with enough impact to knock my wind out like I've never experienced before or since. Although I fractured a vertebra, I am convinced that the backpack full of soft clothes saved me from a much crueler fate.

As for the JPN, it had severely bent forks, a lot of fiberglass damage, a scrapped muffler and miscellaneous broken and bent bits and brackets. It was all repairable - both the Norton and me - but I was sore for months. Did I mention that the big fuel tank (cover) on the Norton is a tough thing for your lower abdomen to whack into as you begin your launch over the bars?

Moral of the story? None in particular. I'm just glad to be here.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 10:08:39 PM »
The only time I ever wore a backpack when riding was when I flew to Green Bay, WI to pick up a Norton John Player Special and ride it back to SE Michigan. On that ride I was cut off while passing a car on a smooth but wet country road. In the ensuing crash I somersaulted over the bars and landed flat on my back with enough impact to knock my wind out like I've never experienced before or since. Although I fractured a vertebra, I am convinced that the backpack full of soft clothes saved me from a much crueler fate.

As for the JPN, it had severely bent forks, a lot of fiberglass damage, a scrapped muffler and miscellaneous broken and bent bits and brackets. It was all repairable - both the Norton and me - but I was sore for months. Did I mention that the big fuel tank (cover) on the Norton is a tough thing for your lower abdomen to whack into as you begin your launch over the bars?

Moral of the story? None in particular. I'm just glad to be here.

Good story, glad it worked out. Laptop backpack do have a foam layer that protects your back a bit.
Anything we carry is a liability, even the keys in the Jean's pocket. I guess a man has got to know his limits.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:10:33 PM by Steph »

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »
For commuting I use a backpack since the V7 doesn't have panniers.  I use an Ogio. Really an excellent backpack, hard to fault.  Places for everything -- computer, accessories, pocket for small items. shoe pockets, water bottle and iPhone provisioning.  Only thing is the waist strap is limited in adjustment.
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 12:20:23 AM »
16 L tank bag on my 1200 Sport most of the time. Don't like the feel of a backpack and don't like the weight up that high.
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Jeeron

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 02:46:39 AM »
Backpack attached to pillion seat with bungee cord.

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 03:59:41 AM »
I use an Ogio  No Drag  (forget the style) or an Under Armour... Hey, it works...
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline POP0404

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 04:24:21 AM »
Rather than a backpack I use a Timbuk2 courier satchel when commuting. Both comfortable and convenient. It has suited me well for the past 20 years.

Online acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 04:45:07 AM »
 That is what the luggage rack is for.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 06:31:02 AM »
No!

John Henry
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 06:31:21 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Online blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 07:04:27 AM »
I have a Givi monolock topcase mounting plate on the Norge; for commuting or short trips I use a small, 33 L trunk; good size for stuff I would need at work. Have a very large trunk for long trips. I use the same trunks on my BMW.

Haven't worn a backpack while riding for quite a few years.

Jon

Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 07:06:41 AM »
I also use a Timbuk2 messenger bag. Ordered the last one when I was in San Francisco; locally made. You can get a standard off the shelf one or have it custom made, which is what I did as I wanted more reflective material.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 07:08:38 AM »
I would have to go out and look to remember the brand (German) but i have a magnetic based tank bag that also had built in shoulder straps so you can use it as backpack.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Moto

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2016, 07:27:38 AM »
I only need to take an 11-inch laptop, so I tried slinging its case's strap over my head and letting it hang on my left side. But this would allow the bag to rotate forward due to the seating position on the Griso. So I ran another strap from one corner of the bag in a loop across my back and around my right arm, securing it with a clip to the original strap at the top of my shoulder. It's easier to do than explain, and makes a very stable, lightweight rig. (The laptop is a Mac Air and the case is the form-fitting one made for it by InCase. I got three little chromed snaphooks from China for $3 total, with shipping.)
I like being able to carry the bag like a briefcase when walking, never having gotten used to a backpack. The secondary strap isn't too noticeable then.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 08:29:26 AM »
Rarely, because the Norge has hard, locking luggage. But when I do, it's a Timbuk2 messenger bag. Much better than a backpack while riding!
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2016, 08:31:08 AM »
not anymore, used to use a small LL Bean backpack but my back doesn't like it anymore
nice flat seat on the V7 so I can bungee stuff there

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2016, 08:31:56 AM »
Never.  Just don't like the extra weight on my body.  Tank bag.  I used one for commuting for several years.  It had shoulder straps if I needed to tote it any distance.  Big enough for a std laptop.

With the side boxes I put my stuff in them.

When I go on a trip I use the tank bag for easy to get to stuff and to hold my maps.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »
My Vintage has lots of luggage space, but I do sometimes use a backpack when I ride my Triumph. My preferred pack is an out-of-production skateboarder model from Dakine. It has a smallish, but adequate main compartment, two mesh bottle pockets, a small zippered top pocket, and webbing with elastic lashing for strapping on extras. Very handy...and not apt to get too heavy.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 09:21:03 AM »
Sometimes...I usually don't do anything on my back, but sometimes the bike or the trip needs something other than pockets-

You cannot beat Chrome messenger bags of various sizes (large, comfortable, retaining straps, waterproof). I use these for day trips on an airplane as well (can stuff them under your seat):
http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/bags/messenger-bags

Sometimes you need a small bag for a portable humidor:
http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/bags/utility-bags

I used this to do a 850 mile fly-n-ride on a Ducati Diavel (change of clothes, misc stuff):
http://www.chromeindustries.com/us/en/soma
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:22:53 AM by kirb »

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 10:38:19 AM »
No!  When I have my next get-off, I do not want any additional mass or volume coming with me that might exacerbate spinal injury. 

Ciao,
Dick
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 03:02:24 PM »
Just a camel bak on long trips in hot weather. My bikes have luggage. Wouldn't have one I couldn't pack camping gear on.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »
I generally prefer not to wear a backpack when riding, but do wear one if I have to, like if the bike I'm using doesn't have a luggage rack.
Prefer a backpack to a tank bag.

Once took off on a week-long trip with just a little backpack. Had to pack very compactly  -  it all gave me a liberating feeling!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 05:00:35 PM »
No, but sometimes I put one on the passenger part of the seat and loop the straps around the turn signal stalks.

When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

rob-mg

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »
Riding my bike with one or two bottles of wine on my back doesn't strike me as a brilliant idea.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:59:48 PM by rob-mg »

Offline guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 09:32:44 PM »
Yes I do, and have done so for years.
There aren't too many options for carrying gear on the V11 Sport if you don't want panniers ( hard or soft ) or tankbags.
I will never have a topbox either after having a gearsack many years ago on my gpz900.It made life interesting on the windy Nullabor plain.
After years of cheap packs I lashed out on a Kreiga R30 a couple of months ago.Expensive, yes but worth every penny!
I haven't tested it's weatherproof properties as yet but have no doubt it'll live up to it's promise.It's also the most comfortable pack I've ever worn,to the point where you hardly know it's there.
It's also guaranteed for 10 years so I reckon it'll see me out.
Cheers Guzzler.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here