Author Topic: Greensboro vs. Charlotte North Carolina - which is better for Guzzi riders?  (Read 8178 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
And as far as all of the statistics, guess I've unintentionally rocked the boat with you, my apologies. When we get down to it though, the OP wasn't asking about Asheville, or the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill et all areas either, and I personally would never live in Charlotte; it thinks it's Atlanta, but isn't. Hopefully his friends would have the time and ability to visit various areas of NC, with the cities and beautiful small towns, mountains and flatlands. It's a beautiful, very diverse state to live in, with cities, countryside, oceans and mountains, plus plenty of beautiful rivers and lakes. My personal druthers would be to live at the coast, around Morehead City, or New Bern, maybe Wilmington. In my will, I've asked that my ashes be scattered into the marina at Carolina Beach...

You did not rock my boat. It is not uncommon to hear how expensive Asheville is but compared to Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill is is far cheaper.
I agree about Charlotte.
As for the OP original question I also agree. But adding to the information might help these 2 Europeans make an easier or better decision.
For example hearing about Asheville might cause them pause and think about living on the north end of Charlotte that puts them closer to Asheville/Hendersonville recreation and the beauty of the mountains. Or hearing about the vibrant city life of Winston Salem and the proximity to the parkway might put them on the north end of Greensboro/Winston Salem to take advantage of  WS and the Parkway up route 8. So I was adding some more information and surely didn't think you were rocking my boat. Housing is damn expensive in the Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill area.
As for Greensboro I think it is rather bland. (I hope you life in Winston and not Greensboro) when compared to a similar size town as Durham. Durham has exploded the past 15 years. Downtown is all renovated and the neighborhoods near downtown are still improving although Durham still suffers from some big city crime and drugs.
So nothing negative intended on my part. And you are correct about my 10 acres on the river front on the Eno. It is drop dead gorgeous. I am lucky. But I still would rather live in Asheville.   :grin: :grin:
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Jerryd

• Gaggle Hero
And as far as all of the statistics, guess I've unintentionally rocked the boat with you, my apologies. When we get down to it though, the OP wasn't asking about Asheville, or the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill et all areas either, and I personally would never live in Charlotte; it thinks it's Atlanta, but isn't. Hopefully his friends would have the time and ability to visit various areas of NC, with the cities and beautiful small towns, mountains and flatlands. It's a beautiful, very diverse state to live in, with cities, countryside, oceans and mountains, plus plenty of beautiful rivers and lakes. My personal druthers would be to live at the coast, around Morehead City, or New Bern, maybe Wilmington. In my will, I've asked that my ashes be scattered into the marina at Carolina Beach...

Or maybe Oriental, NC :wink:
Jerry
Florida

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Just saw this.

I'm very familiar with these areas.  Charlotte is the New Atlanta and is exploding with people, traffic and building. Folks from all over the world are there. If you want big city life or if you want to commute to big city, Charlotte is a prime candidate.  I am partial to the areas around Asheville.

Paging Calimero! AKA Manfredo.  He is from Italy and lives near Charlotte working in high-tech. He's a fellow Stelvio rider too.  I'll give him a call and direct him to this thread.  He must be busy with the kids.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:06:37 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
Good luck to your Italian friends.
I'm happy in this little spot that we have here in Southwest Virginia. Just in between the Appalachian and Blue Ridge mountains. You couldn't make me live in a city.

Dean
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:20:40 AM by Dean Rose »
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
Guys...thank you again for all the great suggestions...I've forwarded them on to my friends and given that they are avid Guzzisti, and if the job permits, I hope they pick the best spot to enjoy their time here in the U.S. while living in NC.  Hopefully once they are settled in, they'll make the rounds on whatever Guzzis they pick up here (Stelvio, Norge or Griso are their preferences). 

So much great information here, I think a trip out east from Houston to explore in more detail would be warranted in the near future...if I head that way, beers on me for all who have graciously helped with their recommendations.

Thanks again!

Well I've got 3 extra bedrooms as a result of the nest being emptied so bring your friends and come on.  Non stop, round trip to CLT will cost you about $300.  We are in the middle of the pollen bath right now but late April early May are unusually very nice. 

I've only got two Guzzi's though :)

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Or maybe Oriental, NC :wink:

I live just a few hundred feet from the Eno River which is part of the Neuse rive basin. Oriental is located on the Neuse river near not far from the Atlantic. I have asked my wife to take some of my ashes and put them in the Eno in front of our house with the idea that one or two particles will end up in the ocean. I also asked her to put some ashes in the French Broad River outside of Asheville.
BTW we have (or had) don't know if he is still with us) a neighbor who as a you teenager traversed the Neuse River in the 1920s before it was ever dammed up. He told my wife quite a story about the multiple months trip it took to put in the canoe just down stream from us and make it all the way to the ocean without any money.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Calimero

• Gosling
  • stelvista
Well I've got 3 extra bedrooms as a result of the nest being emptied so bring your friends and come on.  Non stop, round trip to CLT will cost you about $300.  We are in the middle of the pollen bath right now but late April early May are unusually very nice. 

I've only got two Guzzi's though :)

I live about 30 miles north of George in Mooresville and if I can be any help with bridging between Italian and american culture, language as well as riding....just let me know.
tutte le strade portano a Roma

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Mille grazie Calimero...molto gentile!

Thanks again to all the great folks here offers for help...hoping to hear back from them shortly, I think they are driving around these days looking at places...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here