Author Topic: What's With False Neutral??  (Read 8751 times)

Offline BOAT

• New Egg
What's With False Neutral??
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:43:57 AM »
I dearly love riding my '95 Cali 1100i. She's performing very well this summer. But can any of my esteemed Guzzi gurus tell me why do I have these false neutral shifts?

Doesn't happen all-the-time, but too frequently and annoying. It usually happens between 2nd and 3rd, but not always. Although it seems to happen more at higher rev shirting, it can happen anytime. Once the expected gear is not there, as it's in some-kind-of neutral, I can usually tap it in with a second try, but sometimes it stubbornly refuses to acquire desired gear and I must down-shift and try again.

Am I missing something here?

ponti_33609

Re: What's With False Neutral??
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:18:04 AM »
I dearly love riding my '95 Cali 1100i. She's performing very well this summer. But can any of my esteemed Guzzi gurus tell me why do I have these false neutral shifts?

Doesn't happen all-the-time, but too frequently and annoying. It usually happens between 2nd and 3rd, but not always. Although it seems to happen more at higher rev shirting, it can happen anytime. Once the expected gear is not there, as it's in some-kind-of neutral, I can usually tap it in with a second try, but sometimes it stubbornly refuses to acquire desired gear and I must down-shift and try again.

I think all Guzzi owners have some experience with this....less so on the newer bikes.  I was always told to be very firm and deliberate with my shifts.  Whenever I did hit a false neutral I realized I may have "Nancy'd"  the shift.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:23:30 AM »
Part of the "charm" of Guzzi ownership. You don't get that with just any 🏍
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline bmp72

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:19:31 AM »
Back in the day my LM3 had neutrals everywhere, I adapted my shifting to this.

Upshift: pull clutch, half-shift into the false neutral, release shift pedal, again half-shift into next gear, release clutch.
downshift: pull clutch, blip throttle, full shift one gear down, release clutch.

to me this was one of the charms of the LM3

Once I did it wrong while riding along a dike (thats where the twisties are in Holland) in a spirited manner. The engine revved up very fast and the counterforces almost ran me off the road, bike made at least a 1 meter sidestep  :undecided:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:21:20 AM by bmp72 »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:19:31 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:31:01 AM »
The design of the shift detent on that model makes it much more likely to happen. You need to adjust the linkage and such to get the best throw. Even better is to disassemble and shim the transmission a bit better, but that is likely not practical.

So, make sure the shift linkage is adjusted properly. If you have to move your foot too far in one direction, adjust it.
Also, on that model, there is a second hole in the shift linkage, behind the starter. If you use the hole that is farthest out, then your foot does not need to move as much to get all of the way into gear. Make sure the linkage is in the hole. 
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:24:27 AM »
...can any of my esteemed Guzzi gurus tell me why do I have these false neutral shifts?

Rider error.  Take your time and make sure you fully move the shift lever through its travel range.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »
Also, on that model, there is a second hole in the shift linkage, behind the starter.

:1:

And lubricate everything you can get at.

Make sure your clutch cable has a tiny bit of freeplay at rest.  Not taut.

Make sure the lever at the back of the transmission is not bottoming out against the rear cover when fully pulled.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 09:37:38 PM »
I must say that the 6 speed tranny on my 2008 1200 Sport has been one of the most compliant transmissions on any of the bikes I've owned over the past 33 years.  Zero false neutrals over 65,000 miles. Shifts nicely.

- 1985-era K100 Beemers shifted with few false neutrals, but were very agricultural in their feel.
- My 1991 airhead (R100GS) still shifts smoothly, with no false neutrals.
- the 1999 K1200RS .... shifted smoothly, but would often permit a shift up, then for some reason drop  back to the previous gear.   Unnerving!
- 2000 model W650 .... probably one of the nicest shifting transmissions of any bike I've owned.
- As stated above, the 1200 Sport is a good tranny, as was the Griso 8vSE tranny, though I like the Sport clutch take-up  better.
- Honda CB1100 shifts ok, but there is some clunking if one isn't careful with the throttle.  Clutch take-up is wonderful.

Of course, any of this could be unique to the particular bike, not prevalent across the model line.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:39:44 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:17:01 AM »
Only time I've had a bike transmission with/out false neutrals is when they were all Japanese made.  Otherwise I've adapted to the bike I rode.  1 time between Arcata (coast) and Redding, Calif. I counted on all my false neutrals on my Guzzi  5-speed `81 CX100 to get me to Redding (inland) before I ran out of gas since I neglected to refill in Arcata.  The road was mostly up/down over mountains and luckily I coasted into west Redding on fumes having used neutral between all my gears and turning off the ignition and coasting downhill when I could.  There was no gas to be had between those 2 towns.  :huh:  Everything in life has +s and -s.   :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:24:47 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 03:23:04 AM »
I find I need to be firm and steady on the LM2, only ever happens from 2nd to 3rd and usually if I try to rush the shift.
Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 04:02:19 AM »
FWIW, When upshifting.
Hold the gear lever up until after the clutch lever is released. Feed in some revs while releasing the clutch lever.
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 04:20:56 AM »
Yep a firm steady push when changing gear makes sure you get the desired result. Just a matter of technique and holding your mouth right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline perter

• SP1000 owner since Aug 2015
  • New Egg
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »
Shifting technique as the two gentlemen just above say, keep pressure on the shift pedal until clutch is released.

False neutral is specifically between 2nd and 3rd on my 81 SP, I can even feel two "clonks" when I shift. If I only get one clonk I'm in neutral.

Mine is most prone to false shifts going up so I adjusted my shift pedal so I'm having a comfortable move and don't overstretch my foot wrist.

Another way to minimize the issue is to ensure there is no slack in the linkages. Mine had oval holes where undersized screws were ratteling around so I ended up filling the holes in the linkage by welding and redrill the holes. And I put in round pieces of steel instead of the screws as they stay in better shape without the threads.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
After years of riding a '60 BMW, just about every other bike's shifting is worlds better. I did as Wayne described above on my Vintage; using the alternate hole in the shift linkage. That same juncture will also allow changing the position of heel & toe shifters so that the rider's foot may fit under the front of the shift lever (for bikes with floorboards). Whenever I hit a false neutral anymore, it's usually due to a half-hearted movement of my foot...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
  • The BEST looking Jackal in Singapore.
    • ZDK Elite Karate & Kickboxing
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 11:12:21 AM »
It's funny.
 The last few days I've hit false neutrals 3 times on my 2001 Jackal. I think it's my new shoes, cos it hasn't happened since about a month after getting the bike.

When I first bought it, there seemed to be a neutral between every gear up and down. Think I was too used to slick Jap gearboxes and gear shifters. My Jackal has a heel and toe shifter and if you pussyfoot it, you'll find false neutrals everywhere. Give it a long firm kick up or down and it's fine.

STOP PUSSYFOOTING AROUND!

The Guzzi has a Fiat car clutch and a sloppy, long gearshift. Stomp on it just hard enough and you'll never hit a false neutral again. (unless you get new shoes.)

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 11:13:23 AM »
Shift like you mean it!

But nothing is worse that racing your Bultaco Pursang and hitting one of the 50 false neutrals they had.
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »
I got used to a reversed shift patern (down to upshift) in the '70s when I first tried it and loved it.  Since then I reverse the patterns on all my motorcycles.  When I first got my Mille I put a couple thousand miles on it before I reversed the pattern, occasionally missing the 2-3 shift.  After going to 1 up, 4 down, I don't miss shifts any more.  I think it was a big mistake when the lift to upshift standard was adopted, but I understand that not everyone agrees.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 11:43:20 AM »
You know,  the area around Lake Como used to be Switzerland. Coincidence? I think not.
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »

Just curious, How long have you had the bike? Long time and this just began, or short time and you are having trouble?

If long time and it has started acting differently, check the ball joints on the linkage to make sure they are not loose. Others have already suggested moving to the outer hole. I second that.

If the bike is new to you and you are learning it, then everyone has pretty much covered it.

John Henry

Offline Dukedesmo

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »

Quote from: Triple Jim on Today at 05:17:26 PM
I got used to a reversed shift patern (down to upshift) in the '70s when I first tried it and loved it.  Since then I reverse the patterns on all my motorcycles.  When I first got my Mille I put a couple thousand miles on it before I reversed the pattern, occasionally missing the 2-3 shift.  After going to 1 up, 4 down, I don't miss shifts any more.  I think it was a big mistake when the lift to upshift standard was adopted, but I understand that not everyone agrees.
___________________ ___________________ ___________________ _______
>I wholly agree and have all my bikes 'reversed'.
When I modified the Guzzi, I found the 2nd to 3rd neutral slightly less of a problem, probably due to pushing down being naturally a firmer action than pulling up. 

Le Mans II
Ducati 916
Ducati M900

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »
When I modified the Guzzi, I found the 2nd to 3rd neutral slightly less of a problem, probably due to pushing down being naturally a firmer action than pulling up. 

Yes, I think that's the reason too, but I almost never miss a shift with the reversed pattern, compared to what seemed like about 25% of the time with the stock pattern.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:40:15 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »
Been there got the shirt!

Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »
As I recall the shifter on our `71 Ambassador 4 spd. was the opposite direction of all our 5 spd. Guzzis.  So sometimes on either pattern I'd forget and be down shifting when I thought I was upshifting.   :shocked:   Got to the point as soon as the clutch plates started to engage I'd then know if I just made a mistake and squeeze the clutch in again before things got harrier!  :evil:

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
Got to the point as soon as the clutch plates started to engage I'd then know if I just made a mistake and squeeze the clutch in again before things got harrier! 

You probably knew before that.  When you shift the wrong way, there's usually more clank sound from the transmission as the dogs engage and spin the guts up to a zillion RPM.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 11:31:37 PM »
You probably knew before that.  When you shift the wrong way, there's usually more clank sound from the transmission as the dogs engage and spin the guts up to a zillion RPM.

On my `71 Ambo. the clank between gears didn't matter which way you shifted it.  When I 1st rode a 750 Breva I thought it's tranny shifted like a Swiss watch compared to all the Guzzis I'd ridden before it.  :huh:   But it wasn't even as good as some Jap. trannies made before it I'd ridden.  Definitely an improvement tho.   :thumb:

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 12:00:26 AM »
But it wasn't even as good as some Jap. trannies made before it I'd ridden.  Definitely an improvement tho.   :thumb:

Oh definitely.  My old H2's transmission is a whole world smoother to shift than my Mille's.  You really don't need to use the clutch to shift most of the time.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:00:50 AM by Triple Jim »

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 09:19:44 PM »
From an old joke thread on this forum:

Guzzi neutrals are just like cops: you can never find them when you need them, but they are always around when you don't!

But, seriously, like others mentioned earlier, taking all the play out of the linkages, lubricating all the moving joints and being decisive with your boot will make false neutrals a rare occurrence.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline BOAT

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »
Many thanks for the response to my "false neutral"question. I am enjoying this bike beyond description, but it also helps beyond description to have the generous shared wisdom-of-experience on Wild Guzzi. Thanks for the help.

BOAT

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
Many thanks for the response to my "false neutral"question. I am enjoying this bike beyond description, but it also helps beyond description to have the generous shared wisdom-of-experience on Wild Guzzi. Thanks for the help.

BOAT
It is why I am a donor. I like having this place to hang out, and helping with the light bill is the least I could do.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »
 My 2002 Ural Patrol had neutrals between every gear, on occasion.
 It was maddening at times. Then I traded the thing, after the engine grenaded itself and I had to rebuild it.
 I had a total of 5,000 miles on it and according to my maintenance records, I had done 5 hours of maintenainence
 on it for every hour ridden.  I don't remember how many times I had to call for assistance just to get it home.
 The only bike I have had with a worse record than that is my Rokon.  I bought both of them brand new.
 The Rokon was a total waste of money.  It has a neutral between every gear too but it is designed that way.
 Oh, and to change gears you have to be stopped.
 BTW the Ural had a lever on the right side of the bike that was for the purpose of finding the correct neutral.
 So the Ruskies knew about the problem and had a way to fix it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:13:08 AM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here